Quick Takeaways After Preseason Game 2

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
SkolVikes":lk00dkiu said:
And I am not saying you should get worked up :) it is just the pre season. I was just pointing out a observation that the Hawks base defense even though great against the run does leave a opportunity open for those dump/short passes.

Well here's to a great season! Glad we don't have to play you guys this year!

I could agree with this if it weren't for the fact we're talking about situational 3rd down passing defense. Not the base defense.

These were 'death by 1000 cuts' kinds of plays. The kinds that really did impact us last year in our losses. Of course they assuredly have played a role in our wins just as well. It just seems that situationally speaking -- teams aren't trying to get gash plays on us, but instead content to take the free and easy 1st down we're conceding.

It's definitely a huge reason why this defense has had difficulty in closing out games. I see the same demons that tormented us last year in losses in the first two preseason games here. I can't help but consider that the book could be out on how to beat this defense and we're seeing the new norm going forward. It just feels like the league has made their adjustments to our style and the cycle needs to begin anew with some new wrinkles.

I'm also not so inclined to dismiss the absence of some players as a cause for understanding in this regard. Teams lose players. Backups have to play. This defense last night is likely not as far removed from the defense we might see come December as we might think.

It is just the preseason. But what we're seeing is a continuation from almost the entire last season.

SkolVikes

Reaction score
chris98251":mpe1m9zx said:
SkolVikes":mpe1m9zx said:
And I am not saying you should get worked up :) it is just the pre season. I was just pointing out a observation that the Hawks base defense even though great against the run does leave a opportunity open for those dump/short passes.

Which is why I think the Vikings played us the way they did, many wanted a payback for the playoff loss last year and there wasn't going to be a rematch this regular season. As I stated in another thread it actually did us a favor showing what we need to work on and get the fire lit a bit under some players.

I for one didn't care about revenge about that playoff game. I was there and freezing my ass off while drinking my slushy beer. We should have won that game many ways :D

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SkolVikes":7h2jvsww said:
I really don't like Pete Carroll, I think he is a good coach but there is just something about him. I think it's whenever they show him on the sidelines he is always complaining to the ref about something.
I really don't like posters from other fanbases that come here drop posts like this. It's weak as hell. Talk football, not this crap.
Oh, and if you think Pete's bad, you haven't watched a Cardinals game cuz Arians is 1000 times worse (as was Harbaugh when he was in Frisco). Also please note I'm saying these things on a Seahawks board, not a Cards or Niners board.

OP
OP
sc85sis

sc85sis

Reaction score
All head coaches work the refs; it goes with the job. Pete generally will joke around with them and is very respectful. The only time I've ever seen him get worked up is when he truly feels a call (or non-call) was egregious. In the SFX for SB48, you can see him try to make his case with a ref and get a bit incredulous that said ref wasn't agreeing with him. When the ref indicated that he didn't see it well, Pete said that THAT was a legit excuse.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
SkolVikes":2p5ythxv said:
I really don't like Pete Carroll, I think he is a good coach but there is just something about him. I think it's whenever they show him on the sidelines he is always complaining to the ref about something.

That's a weird reason not to like Pete. He's usually pretty jovial on the sidelines compared to most.

I can think of about 20 coaches right off the top of my head who whine quite a bit more.

Maybe its just because he always wins. That seems more likely.

One could say that they dont like Zimmer because he incessantly blitzes in a meaningless preseason game in a lame attempt to extol some revenge for being embarrassed last January, that also seems more likely :D

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It's the preseason. The Cards have scored a total of 13 points in 2 games.
Anyone believe they will be that bad on offense????

Not worried..

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3j8jmom0 said:
It's the preseason. The Cards have scored a total of 13 points in 2 games.
Anyone believe they will be that bad on offense????

Not worried..
I was just gonna post the same thing. They got beat by a less than mediocre Chargers team tonight 19-3 and their 3 was in garbage time. Helped give some perspective for sure.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SkolVikes":36jq7zkm said:
chris98251":36jq7zkm said:
SkolVikes":36jq7zkm said:

Which is why I think the Vikings played us the way they did, many wanted a payback for the playoff loss last year and there wasn't going to be a rematch this regular season. As I stated in another thread it actually did us a favor showing what we need to work on and get the fire lit a bit under some players.

I for one didn't care about revenge about that playoff game. I was there and freezing my ass off while drinking my slushy beer. We should have won that game many ways :D

Probably but the Vikings didn't therefore they got to watch the rest of the games on tv. That's the difference between being the stronger team in preseason and the stronger team in the playoffs. You can puff your chest all you want about a preseason win, I'd rather see my team get a Lombardi. Which currently the Seahawks have more than the Vikes.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
hawknation2016":15sct48o said:
SkolVikes":15sct48o said:
Your base defense allows for dump off passes and short passes. I think it is the downfall of your base defense. It is how the Patriots scored their points in the Superbowl .

Seahawks defense has led the league in scoring defense for four consecutive years.

In their 2nd Super Bowl, the defense was decimated by injuries. Jeremy Lane tore his ACL and badly broke his arm on an INT return. Cliff Avril had to leave the game with a concussion. The entire secondary was forced to play with serious injuries: Richard Sherman (elbow), Kam Chancellor (knee), Earl Thomas (torn labrum), and Tharold Simon (separated shoulder).

Exactly...And if not for one bone-headed soul-rending play we would have won that one too.

chris98251

Reaction score
SkolVikes":187tiwx3 said:
chris98251":187tiwx3 said:
SkolVikes":187tiwx3 said:

And really we should have two more Super Bowl Trophies but we don't, were still bitchy about it too on many levels but we look forward to the team going back again and making it right.

But 1 -2 versus 0-4 is still better.

In case you forgot. We know it's been a while.

Super Bowl IV: Chiefs 23, Vikings 7
Super Bowl XI: Raiders 32, Vikings 14
Super Bowl VIII: Dolphins 24, Vikings 7
Super Bowl IX: Steelers 16, Vikings 6