R-E-L-A-X. (Packers vs Lions)

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Worst call since the Tuck Rule....Fail Mary simple as that! All the talk on tv and radio though is about how great Erin Rogers is...

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Uncle Si":8os5ozhz said:
Because the refs did not "decide" the game...

If you don't agree with the call, that's fine. they did provide one team one chance to throw a 61 yard score while the other team had to defend it.

Considering the clock was at zero with the packers losing...then uh..yes they did decide the game?

Also there is this i suppose

Over the past 3 games which the Packers have played...2 of them on the road and all 3 with multiple OL out the Packers have been penalized 14 times for 112 yards. Their opponents...Vikings...Bears and Lions have been penalized 29 times for 313 yards...INCREDIBLE!

If you want to add Seahawks to that it goes to

Packers - 20 times for 147 yards
Vikings, Bears, Lions, Seahawks, 35 times for 405 yards

Just look at that..are you shitting me?

Also...I found this while looking at penalties this morning and made a post on a vikings forum

My post

Was just looking at penalties from this site
http://www.nflpenalties.com/automatic-f ... ?year=2015
Packers in one more game than everyone but the lions have only 6 Automatic First Down Penalties against them...6 whole freaking penalties

The next 4 teams are at 11 (Steelers, Redskins, Jets, Bengals)

Color me shocked that the Steelers and Packers would be #1 and #2 in that but theres no ref bias though guys, none at all rolleyes

If anyones curious Vikings are 4th highest against us with 25. Yes you read that correctly. Vikings have 19 more penalties against them resulting in automatic first downs than the packers have...Rediculous

Also they are #2 in Automatic First downs FOR them with 27 penalties, Vikings have 17.

So what is that for the Packers a +21 advantage on Automatic first downs and the Vikings are -8. That is absurd...A 29 flag difference? 29!!!!!

Hawkpower

Reaction score
ivotuk":1iglotef said:
Cartire":1iglotef said:
Uncle Si":1iglotef said:
It does matter how it looked since its a judgment call based on what they are seeing and not one they can review. Refs make bad calls all the time. I just didn't see this one as egregious.

Now, based on it, I wouldn't mind seeing roughing calls reviewable, as the slow mo clearly showed it was barely a touch of the face mask.

and screw the Lions for blowing that game.

Its not a suppose to be a judgement call though. Did he, or did he not, grab the facemask. If the Ref doesnt see it (which he couldnt have because it didnt happen) then he shouldnt throw the flag. Assuming something happened is dumb. I would rather a ref miss a call then call one incorrectly.

Yes, there is human element. Yes, mistakes will be made. But that doesnt make them correct. That just makes them mistakes that werent corrected. You want to decrease the amount of penalties in a game, not increase them. Refs shouldnt throw a flag unless they are sure something happened. Let them play.

I can't agree with the bolded portion. If someone grabs Russell's facemask and twists his head around, but the referee is behind Wilson and doesn't actually "see" the fingers in the face mask, I want him to call it.

I don't want a referee to say "Well, I didn't actually see the "grab." It could have been something else that twisted his face mask and helmet around."

It may not have been a personal foul, but imho, it was at the very least a 5 yard penalty. So then the question would be; "Could Rodgers have thrown it that distance?"

But that's the only question I see there.

This is why there is more than one official on the field.

If something looks suspicious, but you didn't actually see it, you either:

A. Throw the flag and then consult with someone who had a better view or:

B. Don't throw the flag.

We now see what can happen when, as an official, you guess. Luckily for this guy, his gaffe benefited one of the golden teams, so the media is much less down his neck.

When the replacement refs made a much more accurate call in our hail mary victory, Green Bay was hurt and consequently the replacement refs were immediately fired, for lack of a better word.

The two situations completely illustrate Seattle's place in the football world in comparison to Green Bays, in case you didnt already know :)

RichNhansom

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1lkp0s27 said:
Uncle Si":1lkp0s27 said:
Because the refs did not "decide" the game...

If you don't agree with the call, that's fine. they did provide one team one chance to throw a 61 yard score while the other team had to defend it.

Considering the clock was at zero with the packers losing...then uh..yes they did decide the game?

Also there is this i suppose

Over the past 3 games which the Packers have played...2 of them on the road and all 3 with multiple OL out the Packers have been penalized 14 times for 112 yards. Their opponents...Vikings...Bears and Lions have been penalized 29 times for 313 yards...INCREDIBLE!

If you want to add Seahawks to that it goes to

Packers - 20 times for 147 yards
Vikings, Bears, Lions, Seahawks, 35 times for 405 yards

Just look at that..are you shitting me?

Also...I found this while looking at penalties this morning and made a post on a vikings forum

My post

Was just looking at penalties from this site
http://www.nflpenalties.com/automatic-f ... ?year=2015
Packers in one more game than everyone but the lions have only 6 Automatic First Down Penalties against them...6 whole freaking penalties

The next 4 teams are at 11 (Steelers, Redskins, Jets, Bengals)

Color me shocked that the Steelers and Packers would be #1 and #2 in that but theres no ref bias though guys, none at all rolleyes

If anyones curious Vikings are 4th highest against us with 25. Yes you read that correctly. Vikings have 19 more penalties against them resulting in automatic first downs than the packers have...Rediculous

Also they are #2 in Automatic First downs FOR them with 27 penalties, Vikings have 17.

So what is that for the Packers a +21 advantage on Automatic first downs and the Vikings are -8. That is absurd...A 29 flag difference? 29!!!!!

I was going to post this. Already had the link copied but wanted to finish reading the thread before I did.

The penalties are adding up and that is what people should be taking notice of and the variance is egregious. Last year there was a graph that showed how far outside the variance Seattle was in comparison to the rest of the NFL for volume of penalties against and lack of volume (for a better word) of opponents penalties. Using that same graph for this situation Green Bay would be farther from the norm in the better way than we were in the worse way. Those trying to dismiss this as nothing abnormal and just a fluke are really missing what is actually happening.

As for the officials deciding games? They don't decide them but they do sometimes create opportunities for one team that creates an unfair playing field. The teams can still overcome those but often times the opportunities added to a talented team add up to be to much. In that sense you could say they determined the outcome but really all they did was create opportunities.

As for reviewing the call before enforcing it. Do you think they would have reviewed it if it were the Lions benefiting from it? I think they would.

To the example above where Wilson gets facemasked but the ref is behind him (like this situation) and can't actually see it happen. No I don't want it to be called. If it is egregious enough to be dangerous it will be in view and blatantly obvious but if they don't actually see the penalty happen they need to let em play. This time the official thought he saw Rogers head move and the hand was in the area of the mask but really his head (at any speed) barely moved. It appeared the official was looking for any reason to throw the flag and when you look at the stats posted in the link, it is hard to argue that isn't what happened.

By the way GB is second in 1st down penalties with 27. Arizona is #1 with 32. Yeah that's right. The team leading our division has been given 32 first downs from penalties while the Seahawks have been given 4. Arizona has more 3rd down conversions on penalties with 7 than Seattle has total. Seattle has 1 third down conversion all year off penalty. So next time Ringworm wants to talk about officiating make sure you point that out to him.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2z5oj90t said:
It does matter how it looked since its a judgment call based on what they are seeing and not one they can review. Refs make bad calls all the time. I just didn't see this one as egregious.

Now, based on it, I wouldn't mind seeing roughing calls reviewable, as the slow mo clearly showed it was barely a touch of the face mask.

This!They need to allow teams to review calls such as this one (facemask) at any phase of the game.I myself thought Erin crossed the LOS on that hail mary.Would have been nice to see that called

IndyHawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":2dxbvx75 said:
ringless":2dxbvx75 said:
Will GB make the playoffs at this rate lol

I expect them to start getting phantom calls to go their way starting pretty quick and throughout the rest of the season.
Wow was he right!

bigtrain21

Reaction score
RichNhansom":603q60hz said:
By the way GB is second in 1st down penalties with 27. Arizona is #1 with 32. Yeah that's right. The team leading our division has been given 32 first downs from penalties while the Seahawks have been given 4. Arizona has more 3rd down conversions on penalties with 7 than Seattle has total. Seattle has 1 third down conversion all year off penalty. So next time Ringworm wants to talk about officiating make sure you point that out to him.

Arizona got 4 automatic first down penalties on 3rd down in the Seattle-Arizona game. Seattle has 1 the whole season and Arizona got 4 in that game. This doesn't even include the 4 drives in a row to start the game in which they put Seattle in 1st and 20 or worse.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
IndyHawk":h7lq9vzn said:
Uncle Si":h7lq9vzn said:

This!They need to allow teams to review calls such as this one (facemask) at any phase of the game.I myself thought Erin crossed the LOS on that hail mary.Would have been nice to see that called

Agree with the challenge and they don't even have to change a thing. Teams still have two challenges plus one of the first two are correct. The only difference is there would be no limit to how they wanted to use them. No more time is needed and games suddenly don't get gifted to undeserving teams. Pretty simple really and I really have zero clue as to why everything is not reviewable unless you are trying to keep a tool in your bag. It has always seemed fishy to me.

mikeak

Reaction score
The irony of the outrage related to GB winning over Detroit on a bad call after Seattle winning on a bad call against Detroit...

(Yes I knw we would have time for one more drive)

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Not sure the comparison of an unnecessary bat out of an endzone, apparently an obscure rule somewhere buried deep in the rule book, that is never called, that nobody would have ever known about if senile Jerry hadnt randomly brought it up post game......has much connection to a facemask personal foul that was actually a shoulder grab, agreed upon by everyone except GB homers and .net members who like to argue.......that allowed GB an extra play they didn't deserve.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
As we understand the rule, READ ABOVE if you wish to see it, a brush of the facemask is ok. But if someone, say a quarterback, should mock a jerk move of his head...then they have to throw the flag. If this is the new "flop", obviously he won.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":289pblyj said:
As we understand the rule, READ ABOVE if you wish to see it, a brush of the facemask is ok. But if someone, say a quarterback, should mock a jerk move of his head...then they have to throw the flag. If this is the new "flop", obviously he won.

Flopping should be made a penalty with equal but opposite repercussions of the penalty the flopper was trying to draw. Cut this off before it becomes like soccer or basketball.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bitter":1qj6ibj8 said:
Seahawkfan80":1qj6ibj8 said:

Flopping should be made a penalty with equal but opposite repercussions of the penalty the flopper was trying to draw. Cut this off before it becomes like soccer or basketball.
As should gesturing like the Dez Bryant's of the world do every time they drop a pass.

ptisme

Reaction score
Reaneypark":77nxvjsq said:
The Hawks are so much in the Packers heads. I'm hoping for a matchup against them in the playoffs. The Pack will get rolled this time.
Somebody is somebodies' heads.....

ptisme

Reaction score
12341202_1100339533310226_8465433331873443866_n.jpg

Latest posts