Rams badly wanted Sam Howell

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Really, why are all of you getting so bent out of shape over a backup QB who is going to cost us like $4 million/year less than the previous one? Does anyone here really think that just because we got this dude as a replacement backup QB that we would forego getting a better one in the draft if available? Does nobody here remember signing Flynn for what was then an enormous contract (to be the *starter*), then also drafting a relatively unknown QB in the third round, then winning the Super Bowl without Flynn? Do any of you remember who the GM was who did that? JFC people, get it together.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Seahawks will not attempt to do anything serious about the QB position until the 2025 draft. And if they think Howell is a starter to replace Geno, it’s going to take even longer. That’s the problem.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I am neither up or down on Howell as a QB. What I am is Down on the overall plan. I still want the 5 year 1st round rookie deal QB to develop and load the rest of the team with the cap savings. Howell is not in his 2nd year he is in his 3rd with no 5th year option. We are using up a ton of cap on Geno which often effects Coaches decision making so IF JS sees him as a long term QB and he doesn't play until his final year then we either have to pay him big or let him walk.

"oh but he needs to sit back for a year and learn" Uhhh he only played one game his rookie year and played a full year as starter last year. Not a lot of reason to sit out and learn under a rookie NFL HC and OC who will be learning themselves.

Howell should start or they should draft a 1st rounder to learn the ropes as a backup this year.

JS has a history of trying to tweak things instead of actually solving the issues.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Did you just return from the future?
No. If Seahawks planned to draft a QB in 2024, there is no need to bring in Howell as third QB. They might do something in 2025, but don’t expect anything more this year. Don’t need a Time Machine.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
No. If Seahawks planned to draft a QB in 2024, there is no need to bring in Howell as third QB. They might do something in 2025, but don’t expect anything more this year. Don’t need a Time Machine.
Well that's one way to look at it. I still think they draft a QB this year. Ultimately neither you nor I actually know what they will do.

That was my point.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Well that's one way to look at it. I still think they draft a QB this year. Ultimately neither you nor I actually know what they will do.

That was my point.
It makes zero logical sense to bring in Howell if you’re planning to draft a QB at #16. They MIGHT draft a QB late in the draft as a lottery ticket. Is that what you’re talking about?

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
It makes zero logical sense to bring in Howell if you’re planning to draft a QB at #16. They MIGHT draft a QB late in the draft as a lottery ticket. Is that what you’re talking about?
Well, I wouldn't say zero logical sense. Let's say they want Penix. One of the risks associated with him is injury history. They can nab Howell as an insurance policy and then if they select Penix and there's injury related problems, they have a guy they believe has starting level talent already up to speed on the system.

Play Geno in 2024, then let Howell and Penix (or whomever they get) battle it out for the starter job.

I highly doubt Geno is in Seattle in 2025. So you're going to need two guys anyhow.

Scout

Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't say zero logical sense. Let's say they want Penix. One of the risks associated with him is injury history. They can nab Howell as an insurance policy and then if they select Penix and there's injury related problems, they have a guy they believe has starting level talent already up to speed on the system.

Play Geno in 2024, then let Howell and Penix (or whomever they get) battle it out for the starter job.

I highly doubt Geno is in Seattle in 2025. So you're going to need two guys anyhow.
I think that is the plan.

The Wolf philosophy is you flood the QB position from anyway possible and let those QB's develop. Trading for Howell is step 1. Step 2 is drafting a QB either this year or next (2025).

chris98251

Reaction score
Poor decision making, inconsistent, slow, small hands, etc. Again, why is everyone getting so bent out of shape over pointing out his record and simple, objective facts? Let's try to be objective and keep our eyes open.
Hmm work up on him said he has a quick release and up until being thrown to the wolves his decision making was fine unless he had to try and carry the team which is where he forced things. Until last year he had an exceptional TD to Interception ratio, again prior to his Junior year and the exodus of players from the team people were talking about a top 5 pick and even number 1 possibly. That was his write up before his Junior year,

His hands have not been an issue as well, they are not Spencer Heywood's hands granted, (look him up if you don't know or are not a Seattle Sonics fan) but they have not created the issues Dave Krieg had.

People are not bent out of shape, but you need the whole story not just a Mediot's take.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I think that is the plan.

The Wolf philosophy is you flood the QB position from anyway possible and let those QB's develop. Trading for Howell is step 1. Step 2 is drafting a QB either this year or next (2025).
We agree.

Bear-Hawk has a shiny crystal ball though and knows EVERYTHING Seattle will or will not do.

He's a typical trash Seahawks fan with more opinion than substance, but squaks loudly in any thread he can post on.

Another one on the ignore list I guess.

GemCity

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do for us. He's the same age as most rookie QB's, but already has that year of NFL experience under his belt. And it wasn't like he just played in a couple games during garbage time. The guy lead the league in passing attempts last year. Gotta take better care of the ball though. I have a feeling he'll look pretty good for us if/when he gets his chance.
That’s what gives me hope…leading the league in pass attempts.

The INTs came with the territory. You factor in the trash O-line and the pressures, many QBs would’ve done the same stat wise (or worse).

We’ve got a backup and a potential starter when Geno’s time is up.

I don’t look at this like a bad thing..

Last edited:

flv2

Reaction score
Do you really think it would have been a better plan to NOT sign a back-up QB before the Draft and then worry about it after the Draft if the rookie QBs didn't fall their way?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Do you really think it would have been a better plan to NOT sign a back-up QB before the Draft and then worry about it after the Draft if the rookie QBs didn't fall their way?
If you don’t get a QB at #16, you can always draft a QB in the late rounds or bring in a vet QB to bridge us to 2025. Then, in 2025, the Seahawks would be one of the teams desperately needing a QB to replace Geno (unless you’re on the Howell train). I’d like to avoid that situation.