Rams get number 1 pick!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
elmgrovegnome":wp5o2kw8 said:
McGruff":wp5o2kw8 said:
I am stunned by how stupid the Rams consistently are.

Not overpaying for Janoris Jenkins. Letting Long and Laurinitis walk as they enter their decline, getting rid of Cook, draft Aaron Donald, drafting Gurley, tagging Trumaine, drafting EJ Gaines in round 6, Hekker, Tavon.

How does all of that add up to being stupid?

I'll throw in that they beat Seattle twice last season. If the Rams are that stupid then what is Seattle?

The Jets beat the Patriots seemingly every year too, does that mean they're a great team that makes great decisions? No.

The Rams have had a ridiculous amount of 1st and 2nd round picks the past 4-5 years, and still stink. That's all you need to know about their personnel decision success.

The Hawks in the same timeframe have been to 2 SB's, won one and been a perennial top 5 team............all with far lower draft positions.

Largent80

Reaction score
Rams can't even make the playoffs year in and out, even with all those draft picks from sucking ass for so long. Yeah, they beat the Hawks twice, but watched the Hawks in the playoffs....... :lol:

White Devil

Reaction score
There is absolutely no doubt that it was a panic move.

It may pan out for them in the long run. That doesn't mean it still wasn't a desperate move. I think they gave up way too much for the QB's available in this draft. I don't see either of those 2 being worth it. I would have given up the picks for a vet before throwing away the next 2 drafts.

:snack:

Thread Killer

Reaction score
If there was any team in the league that could afford to take such a gamble it's the Rams. They've stockpiled picks over the past few years and have a lot of young talent making them youngest team in the league past few years. If Wentz (I doubt they are taking Goff) is the answer they are going to be trouble.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Alice's points make sense to a point. ......but if this isn't a home run or at least a triple for the Rams then they will be hosed for a long time and longing for the days of 7-9. They better be healthy as a horse too because the lack of quality depth will be huge if they are not. I'm glad my team isn't in that position of desperation.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
RedAlice":3si36ivo said:
themunn":3si36ivo said:
If the level of talent in this draft is as Schneider says, then giving up some 2nd round picks to get the guy and next year's 1st isn't the end of the world for the Rams. The third round pick is broadly offset by the 4th and 6th they get back.

I mean, I STILL think people put far too much stock into the value of draft picks. Definitely you need to build your team through it, but every team should be able to absorb losing a few picks. In the first 3 rounds of each of the last 3 drafts we've picked Lockett, Clark, Richardson, Britt, Michael and Hill, and that's it. Not exactly the finest return - would you give up picking Britt and Richarson in the 2nd in order to pick up a potential QB of the future? Of course you would. Clark and Lockett? Probably still yes.

Very well said. The only actual gamble I can now see is picking the right guy. And even then, it's STILL a gamble.

But, it's one second, one third and next year's first. The rest is either a trade or a gimmee. If the QB sucks, it won't matter the number of picks Rams gave up, if the QB rocks, it also won't matter.

Rams have literally been bottom feeders for a decade. The only team they can consistently beat it seems is the Hawks....but, that accomplishes nothing.

I'm all in on this trade, this gamble. Even if he spends all of 2016 on the bench.

For me, this would be dependent on who the QB coach is. Experience in the league can be passed on by a great leader, qb coach could do this if he has strong character.

In all actuality, it is better not to throw the qb to the wolves in the first year unless dictated by progression as RW was. I truly expected him to wait a year..but sometimes you risk it and get rewards. Also on that aspect of the game, RW was the final piece to a team puzzle. All the other pieces were set and glued in place, all they needed was a mobile qb with potential and vision. I think your team has the same and is looking for that final piece.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
This move by the Rams totally makes sense. I don't see any problem with it.

They've had the youngest team in the league four years running, they've amassed of bunch of really quality young talent, and this offseason we've already seen that they can't afford to keep everyone.

They're in no man's land right now: they're too good to be bad enough to land a top QB, and too bad to be good enough to actually compete.

Save for the complete and total dumpster fire staring back at them at the QB position, they already have great young talent on that team.

They've got maybe a 50/50 chance of this QB panning out, but it doesn't matter if it pans out or not, as to not roll the dice on a top flight QB is to accept that you'll just be trying to sneak into the playoffs year in and year out.

To be fair I think instead of trading all these picks they should have done something else, but it goes too much against conventional wisdom to do so.

If I were the Rams rather than giving the Titans a 1, two 2s, a 3 and a 1 and 3 next year, I would have spent a 1 and a 2 both on QBs this year, let the cream rise, and hold on to all those other picks for the rest of the team.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
mrt144":52kxvxyr said:
Hawknballs":52kxvxyr said:
Rams beat us twice last year, I'm withholding any criticism about the trade until we actually have the physicality to hang with them, because we certainly haven't recently.

They beat us with their best unit against our worst. They don't win because they have an all around better team, it's because they exploit our weakness just about as well as anyone can hope for. The season records bear this thought out.

Their best unit remains intact.

Their weakest unit may be significantly improved by this trade. Our weakest unit is still a big question mark.

Until one of these resolve, I'm sticking with my prediction that this is a big positive for the Rams. They will again prove to be our toughest opponent in the NFCW, and will sit in second place in the division come January.

Fisher was sandbagging to get the Rams to LA.

-bsd

kearly

Reaction score
Popeyejones":yqgoou5e said:

I agree. The Rams are always picking in the middle of the first and it's not very often you find a good QB that late. I think these two QBs are roughly on par with Winston and Mariota last year. These are good QBs. It's not like the Rams are moving up to draft Geno Smith.

You have to figure that whichever QB they get is probably going to need a few years before hitting his prime. If the Rams had waited any longer, they would have missed the overlap point between their current roster strength and the maturation of their next franchise QB. And if it doesn't work, that sucks for them, but you can hardly blame them for trying.

And as said, both of these QB prospects are relatively good compared to years past. If Wentz turns into the next Big Ben then Rams fans aren't going to care about what they paid, the same way that nobody cares about what the Falcons gave up for Julio Jones.

Also, there are multiple rumors and reports of other teams trying to move up to #1 also, sounds like there was a bit of a bidding war. It isn't like the Rams suddenly lost their marbles and decided to make this move for no reason.

RedAlice

Reaction score
kearly":3soazijp said:
Popeyejones":3soazijp said:

I agree. The Rams are always picking in the middle of the first and it's not very often you find a good QB that late. I think these two QBs are roughly on par with Winston and Mariota last year. These are good QBs. It's not like the Rams are moving up to draft Geno Smith.

You have to figure that whichever QB they get is probably going to need a few years before hitting his prime. If the Rams had waited any longer, they would have missed the overlap point between their current roster strength and the maturation of their next franchise QB. And if it doesn't work, that sucks for them, but you can hardly blame them for trying.

And as said, both of these QB prospects are relatively good compared to years past. If Wentz turns into the next Big Ben then Rams fans aren't going to care about what they paid, the same way that nobody cares about what the Falcons gave up for Julio Jones.

Also, there are multiple rumors and reports of other teams trying to move up to #1 also, sounds like there was a bit of a bidding war. It isn't like the Rams suddenly lost their marbles and decided to make this move for no reason.

Yes, it seems that both Jets and Eagles were trying to move up for the Titan's #1 spot. I'm happy Rams made this move, but oh, just oh I hope they make the right pick.

Speaking of - I don't watch college football, so have no info other than what I am reading now. I read one report, love Wentz, the next report, love Goff. So, just gonna have to trust the Rams FO.

I see that the Niners are working out Goff today. He's a home town boy, so they also may be in the mix to trade up w Browns if they think Rams are taking Wentz.

I think they had to make this move now, they do have time to develop a QB. They seem focused hard on being good for the 2019 new stadium opening. Better to take a QB now to develop than try and get a ready one in 2018.

sc85sis

Reaction score
RedAlice":34zpt16f said:
Very well said. The only actual gamble I can now see is picking the right guy. And even then, it's STILL a gamble.

But, it's one second, one third and next year's first. The rest is either a trade or a gimmee. If the QB sucks, it won't matter the number of picks Rams gave up, if the QB rocks, it also won't matter.

Rams have literally been bottom feeders for a decade. The only team they can consistently beat it seems is the Hawks....but, that accomplishes nothing.

I'm all in on this trade, this gamble. Even if he spends all of 2016 on the bench.

Jeff needs to stop focusing so much on beating the Hawks and starting working on making every game important.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
RedAlice":1vc4iym3 said:

I like how last year seems to have convinced everyone that the Rams always beat the Seahawks. In the Pete Carroll era they are 4-8 against the hawks. Not trying to take away from how annoying the Rams are against us but it's not exactly the one-sided affair everyone alludes to.

Regarding this move, if they think they have a franchise QB sitting there, then it's a good trade. Ultimately if I was a Rams fan I'd be excited. The guy better be legit though because otherwise their depth suffers and those young DL studs will be up for contract by the time they dig out of this hole.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Archer":3ko41lsl said:
RedAlice":3ko41lsl said:

I like how last year seems to have convinced everyone that the Rams always beat the Seahawks. In the Pete Carroll era they are 4-8 against the hawks. Not trying to take away from how annoying the Rams are against us but it's not exactly the one-sided affair everyone alludes to.

Regarding this move, if they think they have a franchise QB sitting there, then it's a good trade. Ultimately if I was a Rams fan I'd be excited. The guy better be legit though because otherwise their depth suffers and those young DL studs will be up for contract by the time they dig out of this hole.

I know, right? When I was in grad school for writing poetry (Yes, I did that) - my best professor would literally read my current submitted poem outloud and trash it. He would slam me. Then go, your last poem was genius, this one is not....what have you done for me lately!!!??? Write! Go write, go now! It only matters what you have done for me now.

I would then once again write something that gained his approval to only then once again write something he trashed. Btw, he was a classicist, so this was all in Iambic Pentameter.

Was hard. But, I worked my self constant to please him and it made me better.....I have no clue if Rams are working to beat the Hawks. But if they are, you guys are really good so that only makes them better.

smiles.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
A rookie QB in LA is good for the Hawks.

Pete needs to worry about Donald. Both losses last year were due to an inability to slow him down.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
bigDhawk":w5ulpz3j said:
Ramfan128":w5ulpz3j said:
HawkMeat":w5ulpz3j said:
Curious what the Rams fans think of this? Excited?

EXTREMELY.

It sacrifices picks in this draft and basically just the 1st next year....with the mega contracts that Jenkins and McCleod got, we will surely have a 3rd round compensatory pick next year.

On top of that, we still have two 4th round picks to play with this year...one being the Titans which is basically a 3rd round pick. So I'm thrilled.

Prefer Wentz right now, but I'd be happy with Goff.

You do realize you are only going .500 at best this season, because Jeff Fischer and because the Rams. Right? Heck, the wheels might completely fall off and you could hand the Titans a top 5 pick in 2017. Neither Wentz nor Goff will be worth the price paid. Should have stayed put at 15 or just move up a couple spots for Lynch.

I disagree. We will be WORSE than .500 this year.

I think being on Hard Knock is a distraction, the move was a distraction, and we'll be the most traveled team by far this year. Plus we lost more than we gained on our roster...so we'll have new starters coming up, along with: Hard Knocks, move, travel, and new QB. I'll probably predict playoffs like almost every fan does for their team once we get closer to the season, but looking at it realistically, 6 wins is a good starting off point.

This was for the future. The trade for the picks is almost irrelevant...just some picks this year and our first next year. Considering how many guys need re-signed soon, not having a first next year helps more than hurts (salary cap).

But at the end of the day - the Rams have a very talented roster. We're a QB away. Too many people don't know enough about our team to make comments about the roster. I've seen some people on here bashing our OL, and while it wasn't great last year, we had 5 rookies, suffered injuries and still allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL. All things considered, it's safe to say that will be a strong unit this year. We don't have great WRs, but we'll hopefully get a vet and take one or two in the 4th round....plenty of examples of late round WRs having success. Next year was going to be rough no matter what...it'll be fun as hell to watch though. And after that we're set up for long term success.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1gx5887o said:

They've had the youngest team in the league four years running, they've amassed of bunch of really quality young talent, and this offseason we've already seen that they can't afford to keep everyone.

They're in no man's land right now: they're too good to be bad enough to land a top QB, and too bad to be good enough to actually compete.

Save for the complete and total dumpster fire staring back at them at the QB position, they already have great young talent on that team.

They've got maybe a 50/50 chance of this QB panning out, but it doesn't matter if it pans out or not, as to not roll the dice on a top flight QB is to accept that you'll just be trying to sneak into the playoffs year in and year out.

To be fair I think instead of trading all these picks they should have done something else, but it goes too much against conventional wisdom to do so.

If I were the Rams rather than giving the Titans a 1, two 2s, a 3 and a 1 and 3 next year, I would have spent a 1 and a 2 both on QBs this year, let the cream rise, and hold on to all those other picks for the rest of the team.

Love this post. Agree 100%.

I've tried to outline why trading these picks isn't really bad...it's nothing like what Washington gave to us. We basically gave up mid round picks this year and our 1st next. The 3rd they get from us next year is going to be a compensatory pick that we'll get from either Jenkins or McCleod.

So we came out of this with the #1 overall pick, a 4th and a 6th from the Titans, only missing our first round pick from next year. This was a great move...

And I should thank you....if the Niners don't block that FG in OT the last game of the season and we win, we would have been picking at 19. That may have been too far to make this move. :lol:

pmedic920

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2j8enobx said:
Now that they're in L.A. they must feel the need to make the big splashy pick to avoid getting lost in the shuffle.

There is tons of entertainment in LA, sure they are looking to make a splash.
Fact is, they have to win and win early/fast, if they don't, there's going to be a high dollar stadium sitting half full on game day. Not half full in the good way.
I don't see the people of that area supporting a team that doesn't win.
Both of the top two QB's are fairly equal on the field.
IMHO, they should take the better celebrity of the two. LA likes their celebrities.

kearly

Reaction score
It's really strange, but it feels like this move will help Seattle beat the Rams. Not because I have anything against Wentz or Goff, but because it seems like every time the Rams trot out a replacement level QB against Seattle, that QB plays an awesome game totally at random and the Rams win.

Also, Seattle's history against rookie QBs is pretty strong. It's hard to beat Seattle's defense with a tiny playbook.

In the long term this might be bad news for Seattle, but I get the feeling that this helps Seattle in 2016.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ While I agree on the feeling that the backup Rams QB has been hard for us to do and despite giving up 34 points in one game last year I still feel that we have a real issue with the Rams Defense (read defensive line) and not so much with their offense.

Their points have been a result of the number of possessions which are a result of the Hawks inability to move the ball.

So long term I think these draft picks will lead to a weakened defense (they can't afford to re-sign everyone over the next four years) and that will help Seattle EVEN if they get a Franchise QB