Rams get number 1 pick!

Osprey

Reaction score
McGruff":289pjvdv said:
The good thing is that this pretty much guarantees the pathetically mediocre QBs will go one and two, and that pushes real talent further down the draft.

At the risk of overthinking it...if the Rams truly had no preference of QBs, wouldn't you attempt to make the deal with Cleveland at 2 before paying the 'Kings' ransom' for #1? So assuming they asked and were rebuffed does that reinforce your theory of QB 1 & 2?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
The Rams gave up a lot, but I think the trade makes sense for both sides. The Rams have been a QB away from being a playoff team for the past year or two. They couldn't afford to go another year rolling out another mediocre QB. I'm not sure how good Wentz will be (assuming they draft him), but if he does turn out to be a good QB the Rams will be a thorn in our side for years. They already have our number and that was without an actual QB. Titans did well, they'll get plenty of starters in the next two drafts to round out that roster around Mariotta.

soohawk

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3qxk811g said:
hawknation2016":3qxk811g said:
Two firsts, two seconds, and two thirds for . . . Wentz or Goff? Damn, that is quite a risky gamble on a player with no proven upside.

I would have to call this foolhardy.

Meh.

Their first for our first. Their 4th and 6th for our 3rd.

From that perspective I feel like we gave up 2 2nd round picks, our 1st next year and our 3rd next year, to jump 14 spots.....that's not bad at all.

Also, with the litany of high picks we've had, re-signing players has been the top priority...not having a 1st round pick next year will save some of the cap...Aaron Donald will need re-signed soon.

If we carried on without getting a QB, we would be 7-9 forever. I'm pumped that they recognized that and actually are doing something about it.

As far as the prospects go....if this were the Luck/RG3 draft class we wouldn't have been able to trade up from number 15. Considering our ability to be average with guys like Kellen Clemens and Austin Davis, having a shot at a real QB is a great feeling.

Finally, people will always compare this draft class to another...but right now, Luck/RG3 combined aren't doing well at all....so the reality is that nobody really knows how these guys will turn out. I love everything about Carson Wentz though and I think he has all the tools to be elite.

That draft is defined by Russell Wilson, Luck hasn't been able to undertstand he can't bowl over linebackers and he is on IR every season for a few weeks and RG ME is a pathetic excuse for an nfl quarterback. the season he had success they had to dumb down the playbook to high school level reads and let him run the ball all day and that ended up ruining his career via injury. Now Russell was able to come along slowly and grow each week, culminating with tying peyton mannings rookie single season td record and winning big game after big game in the coming seasons. Sure he threw away a 2nd superbowl but without him we wouldn't have either so he gets forgiven for that.

@elmgrovegnome: congratulations you beat us twice last year after being shutout for a decade. John schneider gets late picks in every round and has for the last few years, so they are not all going to be all pro players but he has constructed our team to be a perennial contender and we will tweak and upgrade our team to be in the fight every season, you cannot ask for more than that from your GM. You had better hope that Fischer has learned how to develop a young qb because sam bradford and vince young were terrible. You plugged a stud dt on a loaded defense and he won rookie of the year that is not developing talent its called using it. As well on the offensive side of the ball, of course gurley got some reps, you have nobody else to gain yardage. he is a good player but look at how bad you did with stephen jackson, you need more than a rb. you need to spend some draft capital on your offense but your still losing important players on your defense through free agency each year. One side grows and the other diminishes, the recipe for 7-9 or 8-8. The skins making the playoff after giving up picks for rgme is not a world beating statistic, they play in a division with terrible competition and one of those teams , dallas, never has a qb for more than 40% of their games, the eagles perpetually suck and the giants ebb and flow from good to horrible. The NFC West is all defense and toughness, the redskins would get their asses handed to them in our division time and again.

Enjoy your new qb and the spoils that accompany him, just don't anoint him anything yet because Russell is not going anywhere anytime soon.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Fisher really playing the long game to make the Titans better. What a sly fox he is.

CSQqlwPUYAAc4od

Overseasfan

Reaction score
To be honest I don't think either Wentz or Goff will be the best QB from this class after all is said and done. My money is still firmly on Paxton Lynch.

2_0_6

Reaction score
elmgrovegnome":1ib4fx6a said:
Hasselbeck":1ib4fx6a said:
PFT reporting the trade was made for Carson Wentz

Schefter is reporting it was made for Goff. Guess we have to wait and see on draft day.

No matter how much you want to roll your turd of a franchise in sugar, at the end of the day its still a turd.

This was a panic move by the Rams no matter how you slice it. They have a TON of holes and now have only 2 picks in what 4 rounds? :lol:

8-8...Consistency at its finest!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2pfh9e9a said:
elmgrovegnome":2pfh9e9a said:
McGruff":2pfh9e9a said:
I am stunned by how stupid the Rams consistently are.

Not overpaying for Janoris Jenkins. Letting Long and Laurinitis walk as they enter their decline, getting rid of Cook, draft Aaron Donald, drafting Gurley, tagging Trumaine, drafting EJ Gaines in round 6, Hekker, Tavon.

How does all of that add up to being stupid?

I'll throw in that they beat Seattle twice last season. If the Rams are that stupid then what is Seattle?

This won't end well.
I think your right Marv thems trolling words in his last sentence in a Hawks forum,notice no more of him after?Anyway the Rams did what they had to do but the Titans made a killing All this focus on the Rams but wow look out for Tenn.

McGruff

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3sylrc6w said:
To be honest I don't think either Wentz or Goff will be the best QB from this class after all is said and done. My money is still firmly on Paxton Lynch.

I'm going with Dak Prescott.

Who, ironically, the Rams could've drafted with a 3rd round pick.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Rams beat us twice last year, I'm withholding any criticism about the trade until we actually have the physicality to hang with them, because we certainly haven't recently.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawknballs":34jurzli said:
Rams beat us twice last year, I'm withholding any criticism about the trade until we actually have the physicality to hang with them, because we certainly haven't recently.

They beat us with their best unit against our worst. They don't win because they have an all around better team, it's because they exploit our weakness just about as well as anyone can hope for. The season records bear this thought out.

soohawk

Reaction score
our special teams poop the bed every time we play the rams, its truly ridiculous at this point that it still happens time and again

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
It's almost impossible for these big trades to help the team that acquires the #1 pick.

Even if the player they select turns out to be good, they lose out on too many opportunities to add MORE cheap young talent.

Without a salary cap it wouldn't really matter, but with a cap you NEED to hold onto your draft picks.

So with that said, I'm glad the rams made the trade. It just means they lowered their chance of winning the division in the next 3 years.

Tical21

Reaction score
Forward-thinking by the Rams. Other teams should do this. What is their alternative? Continue to suck until you get bad enough to draft in the top-5? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Wasn't he already a Ram? If it doesn't work, it costs you about 5 years. If you didn't do it, you were going to be bad for those 5 years anyways.

Real winners are the Chargers who now get to choose between Tunsil/Ramsey, and possibly Dallas at 4. If the Chargers take Tunsil because King Dunlap kind of isn't very good, what are the chances the Cowboys still take a pass-rusher and the Jags get their hands on Ramsey at 5?

Ya know, I don't love this for the Titans. They've had a bunch of pretty solid players for a couple years now. What they really need is more superstars. Maybe they love Elliott at 15? Certainly fits a big need.

Tical21

Reaction score
Maulbert":ojp1an0j said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/720652971080425472[/tweet]

OOF. That's not great company.
Isn't Eli on that list? Elway would be, but obviously predates 1990.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Tical21":1aom3niz said:
Maulbert":1aom3niz said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/720652971080425472[/tweet]

OOF. That's not great company.
Isn't Eli on that list? Elway would be, but obviously predates 1990.

Nope. Neither is on that list because both were aquired by their teams after they were drafted. It says QB's aquired by trades into the top 5 picks. Eli and horseface were drafted then traded. Might seem ticky-tacky, but it is a distinction.

RedAlice

Reaction score
I agree that this trade helps the Chargers tremendously.

As for the Rams, I think it was a good move. They have to do something and not having a QB is simply not working. Gurley needs a QB or we will have an SJax all over again situation.

The picks sound worse than it is the way the announcers keep saying it. It is still a very expensive trade and Titans made out like crazy.

Round 1 - trade #15 for #1
Round 2 - Give up both Rams picks (one was aquired from trading B to Eagles)
Round 3 - to Titans
Round 4 - Rams get Titans pick
Round 6 - Rams get Titans pick

Round 1 - to Titans
Round 3 - to Titans (Rams will get a comp pick for JJ - Titans will get the Comp pick)

So, Rams effectually gave up their own 2nd and 3rd (plus an aquired 2nd), and their 1st next year. A lot, but if it lets us have a shot at a real QB - I'm all in.

Of course, the pick needs to hit. Here's hoping....

hawkfan68

Reaction score
elmgrovegnome":khms8pgc said:
McGruff":khms8pgc said:
I am stunned by how stupid the Rams consistently are.

Not overpaying for Janoris Jenkins. Letting Long and Laurinitis walk as they enter their decline, getting rid of Cook, draft Aaron Donald, drafting Gurley, tagging Trumaine, drafting EJ Gaines in round 6, Hekker, Tavon.

How does all of that add up to being stupid?

I'll throw in that they beat Seattle twice last season. If the Rams are that stupid then what is Seattle?

Big whoop....beating Seattle got your Rams what? They couldn't beat anyone else and were stuck watching a Seahawk team in the playoffs .

Latest posts