Rams let Wade Phillips go.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":rmajmmdx said:
Ramfan128":rmajmmdx said:
hawksfansinceday1":rmajmmdx said:
Really surprised by this. McVey and Snead looking for a fall guy? Ramfan128 what say you?

I don't think so. They both got extensions before this season so no need for a fall guy IMO.

I think letting Wade and Bones (very good ST coordinator) go was about two things:

Accountability for under performing
McVay having them as training wheels while he learned to be a HC

I have mixed feelings on our defense - last season they were great despite the bad rankings in some categories (run defense) - they were extremely clutch, including being flat out dominant in the playoffs and playing the Patriots better than any other defense has in a Super Bowl. This year there were the clunkers - Bucs, Ravens, and Cowboys - but the offense was also pretty bad in those games (lots of points and yards eventually in the Bucs game but two Goff INTs let it get to 21-0).

I think it's more about the under performing part, and more specifically, personnel moves. McVay has given up premium draft picks time and again for defensive players - I think the logic was make this unit dominant and I'm good enough to work with what we've got on offense. He got Wade established stars (save for Fowler) to pair with the best defensive player in the NFL.

Meanwhile he took in a QB who was a bust, a RB who just had one of the worst seasons in NFL history, signed a FA WR who had mostly disappointed in Buffalo, took existing under performing offensive linemen, and cobbled it together. Our offense has never been as good as the numbers, which is a testament to McVay. In 2017 we lead the NFL in points scored, but had a ridiculous number of defense/ST TDs, or short fields that allowed TDs. In 2018 we looked record breaking for 11 games, and then fell off a cliff. This year we managed to be 7th in yards and 11th in points, but it felt worse than that.

I'm wondering if McVay sees the offense suffering partially because of the focus on improving the D, and then being frustrated that the talent on this defense underachieves - realistically, it should be a top 5 defense in all categories.

Speculation on my part, but ultimately I'm not upset to see Wade and Bones gone - they were good, but I want McVay to put his own imprint on this team - not just the offense.
Thanks for the response. Any rumors on who succeeds Wade?

Nothing yet. I'm hoping for a move back to the 4-3 and Kris Richard would be my personal preference right now, but he may be shooting for a HC job.

Latest posts