Rams moving to Los Angeles - Implications for Hawks

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14558 ... os-angeles

Obviously relates to us in a couple ways.

First, 1 less possibility for a 10am start every year.

Second, no chance the Seahawks move back to the AFC as two AFC teams would not be moving to Los Angeles.

Third, it'll be a nice homecoming for Pete Carroll after spending many years there.

Chargers have first chance to join by 2017. If they do not, Raiders will have opportunity.

I for one am a big fan of having the NFC West be totally West Coast.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Less travel for one game.

One con I thought of was players potentially wanting to play near home. Wouldn't happen very often though.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Don't think the free agency appeal matters much with the cap plus the tax implications of living and working in California. The NY teams are also big market, but there's been no tangible recruiting advantage. Dallas, New Orleans, the Florida teams, etc. are also in recruiting hotbeds, but haven't attracted better FAs as a result.

Players will go where the money is. The earning years in the NFL are too short to do it any other way.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
My 34 y/o son and his fiancee live in LA.

I can definitely foresee an annual trip down for the Hawks/Rams game and to visit my son.

chris98251

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1culbo18 said:
Don't think the free agency appeal matters much with the cap plus the tax implications of living and working in California. The NY teams are also big market, but there's been no tangible recruiting advantage. Dallas, New Orleans, the Florida teams, etc. are also in recruiting hotbeds, but haven't attracted better FAs as a result.

Players will go where the money is. The earning years in the NFL are too short to do it any other way.

Beaches, Sun, Celebrities, TV spots, yeah it will draw players, when you have a option of a good cold weather team and a good warm weather team unless the money is extremely different warm wins out.

They will also have brand new facilities.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
chris98251":11ppowew said:
DavidSeven":11ppowew said:

Beaches, Sun, Celebrities, TV spots, yeah it will draw players, when you have a option of a good cold weather team and a good warm weather team unless the money is extremely different warm wins out.

Then Miami should be the best team in the league.

kf3339

Reaction score
chris98251":1n9819o6 said:
DavidSeven":1n9819o6 said:

California also has a 13% state income tax on earnings over $1M per year. Don't think that won't be stated to players who want to play In Los Angeles. Players will go where the money is, and also where they will get to keep the most after taxes.

irocdave

Reaction score
Huge fan of one less 10:00am game for the Hawks and as a general NFL fan feel like a wrong was righted with the Rams moving back to LA.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":ihtuabda said:
First, 1 less possibility for a 10am start every year.

Second, no chance the Seahawks move back to the AFC as two AFC teams would not be moving to Los Angeles.

I for one am a big fan of having the NFC West be totally West Coast.
This!!!!!

Ruminator

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1ww4omcd said:
Los Angeles will attract more free agents to the rams than St. Louis did.

Actually, brace yourself for the tidal wave of free agents lining up at the VMAC this offseason! "Whoo-hoo, won't have to fly all the way to St. Louis playing for this team!"

Yes, a bit sarcastic, but only a bit.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
irocdave":1ckua0tg said:
Huge fan of one less 10:00am game for the Hawks and as a general NFL fan feel like a wrong was righted with the Rams moving back to LA.

Having the Rams moved to St. Louis was sooo wrong! The Rams belong in LA. I sure hope that they do not rename the team.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Will also probably be another home game away from home for 12's. I'd imagine lots of hawk fans around to gobble up tickets in that market.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":g1pnk1z4 said:
irocdave":g1pnk1z4 said:

Having the Rams moved to St. Louis was sooo wrong! The Rams belong in LA. I sure hope that they do not rename the team.
Why? They were the Los Angeles Rams for twice as long as the St. Louis Rams. To the tune of 45-50 years. I never could figure out how St. Louis had three professional teams in the big four sports leagues when Kansas City only has two but has twice the population base. And similar to Seattle is a fast growing technology and medical hub with huge numbers of young professionals moving here.

Also like others have said free agents go where the winning is in the majority of cases given all NFL teams have the same amount of money to spend on player salaries. The difference is all about how the contracts are structured and how your cap person manages said cap in relation to your contracts given to the players. The key is knowing which free agents will fit into your culture and system.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
chris98251":1r5oms64 said:
DavidSeven":1r5oms64 said:

Disagree. Free agents go where they can win and get paid.

OP
OP
TDOTSEAHAWK

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3v0d0shq said:
Why? They were the Los Angeles Rams for twice as long as the St. Louis Rams. To the tune of 45-50 years. I never could figure out how St. Louis had three professional teams in the big four sports leagues when Kansas City only has two but has twice the population base. And similar to Seattle is a fast growing technology and medical hub with huge numbers of young professionals moving here.

Definitely agree that the Rams are an LA team but as a geography nerd the St. Louis metropolitan area has almost a million more people than Kansas City. And yes, I do realize you are from or have some affiliation with Missouri.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_M ... ical_Areas

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":21e2wyh5 said:
MizzouHawkGal":21e2wyh5 said:

Definitely agree that the Rams are an LA team but as a geography nerd the St. Louis metropolitan area has almost a million more people than Kansas City. And yes, I do realize you are from or have some affiliation with Missouri.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_M ... ical_Areas

Oh touche'

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Certainly won't miss watching those dimly lit games in that dome.

kearly

Reaction score
There's a train of thought out there that Kroenke has kept Fisher around so long because he didn't dare get a good coach who could screw up his plans for relocation with too many pesky wins. Now that the move is official, I would have to think Fisher has outlived his usefulness and will probably be gone after next season, if not sooner.

Fisher being fired, when it eventually goes down, might help Seattle in the short term about as much as the lack of a 10am start.

And the 10am start thing is pretty huge. Russell Wilson is 6-3 in NFC West road games not played at 10am, and if you exclude the first half of his rookie year he's 6-1 in those games.

Latest posts