Rams Quinn needs a big time fine cheap shot on RW

kamikazehawk

Reaction score
Isn't this the play where they had P.I., Unnecessary Roughness, and Roughing the passer in the same play? Those of you saying it is legal are out of touch. It is certainly illegal to make contact with the QB's head. Period. End of discussion. If you want to argue that it happens in football all the time and shouldn't be a fine gor right ahead. But if you go high and hit the QB in the head especially when leading with your helmet. If our Clemons hit someone like this you should expect a flag. By rule this is a penalty.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
ivotuk":19f919t1 said:
...The league allows one step after the ball is gone and I watched it a couple of times and it looks like one step to me...
That's pretty much it. I suspect he knew he wasn't going to get there and he wasn't going to get the strip either. But he took the shot anyhow because that's the game. Do as much physical damage to the opponent as the rules allow every time there's an opportunity. Every team does it. It would be interesting (to me at least) to see what a more sportsmanship- and less injury-oriented NFL might look like, but I don't think that's going to be happening any time soon.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kamikazehawk":td1qpldt said:
Isn't this the play where they had P.I., Unnecessary Roughness, and Roughing the passer in the same play? Those of you saying it is legal are out of touch. It is certainly illegal to make contact with the QB's head. Period. End of discussion. If you want to argue that it happens in football all the time and shouldn't be a fine gor right ahead. But if you go high and hit the QB in the head especially when leading with your helmet. If our Clemons hit someone like this you should expect a flag. By rule this is a penalty.

Hard to tell if he gets Russell in the head, looks more shoulder to me..........and that's in slow motions. So there's no way the ref could tell in real time.

This is another example of Hawk Homerism, which is quite rampant on this forum. If someone posted a .gif of Clemons hitting a QB like this, no one would say crap.

nsport

Reaction score
kamikazehawk":1j7zrdsh said:

See if you can find another angle of it to support a head shot. He went high, body contact to the upper back and swung his arm around (overhand) for a strip-sack attempt. I do not see contact with the head at all, just high contact.

iigakusei

Reaction score
All I see is McQuistan doing a belly flop. Bailey cant be worse can he?

chris98251

Reaction score
kamikazehawk":1gxulk3z said:

Where did he hit him in the head? Across the back of the neck maybe, where is the leading with the Helmet?

Wilson is Shoulder pad high with his head on most players, they are going to look the other direction a lot unless it is deemed with intent or a hand to the helmet outright. Get used to it, what you get when your QB is 5'10" and D Lineman are 6'2" to 6'7" along with having a a dragstrip open to your QB.

bandiger

Reaction score
All you are showing is just how poor McQ looks. I have no idea what the coaches are doing letting that guy keep playing the same position since game 2.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I see a DE doing what I would want our DE's to do in that situation, try to create a turn-over.

What's the problem?

It's a little late looking at it from that angle, how late is it if you're robert quinn on the other side of the QB just trying to make a play?

12evanf

Reaction score
iigakusei":3o09l950 said:
All I see is McQuistan doing a belly flop. Bailey cant be worse can he?

I also like McQuistan's cut block after Quinn runs passed him. He is not a Tackle, please replace him with someone qualified.

kamikazehawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure what play you are watching but you can clearly see the head pop forward on impact. If he hits body the would be going the other direction. You can call it Homerism if you want. I am simply clarifying the rule. Contact with the QBs head is illegal. Regardless if its a Seahawk or Ram or whatever. I am of the opinion that there is no need for a fine and I don't even really consider it a cheap shot. It's a play and there is a penalty for it. Half the distance to the goal and you move to the next play. This penalty was declined in lieu of the Pass Interference call though.

kamikazehawk

Reaction score
chris98251":188xh6ut said:
kamikazehawk":188xh6ut said:

Where did he hit him in the head? Across the back of the neck maybe, where is the leading with the Helmet?

Wilson is Shoulder pad high with his head on most players, they are going to look the other direction a lot unless it is deemed with intent or a hand to the helmet outright. Get used to it, what you get when your QB is 5'10" and D Lineman are 6'2" to 6'7" along with having a a dragstrip open to your QB.

Unfortunately the rule book doesn't have any height exceptions. The rule is if you hit the QB in the helmet with any part of your body or helmet it is roughing the passer. If you want to argue that he didn't hit his head, that's fine. I think its clear he does, the referee called the penalty for it. He obviously agrees with me.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
kamikazehawk":1y9irs34 said:
chris98251":1y9irs34 said:
kamikazehawk":1y9irs34 said:

Unfortunately the rule book doesn't have any height exceptions. The rule is if you hit the QB in the helmet with any part of your body or helmet it is roughing the passer. If you want to argue that he didn't hit his head, that's fine. I think its clear he does, the referee called the penalty for it. He obviously agrees with me.
I don't think anybody is debating if it's a penalty. I think they're debating the op's point of an intentional cheap shot that warrants a fine. It was a bang bang play, which Quinn took a risk for a strip, and it back fired. To think he should be fined for it is a bit ridiculous. Clemons had a similar play against Indy, but it resulted in a fumble. If he would've been flagged for roughing the passer illegal contact to the head half this board would've been outraged.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
kamikazehawk":2rw4c5lb said:
chris98251":2rw4c5lb said:
kamikazehawk":2rw4c5lb said:

I don't think anybody is debating if it's a penalty. I think they're debating the op's point of an intentional cheap shot that warrants a fine. It was a bang bang play, which Quinn took a risk for a strip, and it back fired. To think he should be fined for it is a bit ridiculous. Clemons had a similar play against Indy, but it resulted in a fumble. If he would've been flagged for roughing the passer illegal contact to the head half this board would've been outraged.

kamikazehawk

Reaction score
Actually there are several posts here that suggest this is not a penalty, which is what my post is referring to. It is a penalty and was called as such. If the league started handing out fines every time someone committed a penalty Breno couldn't afford to play in the NFL anymore.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
I think the .gif in the original post does a poor job of showing the malicious intent of Quinn. My brother and I were livid when we saw it during the game. He clearly sees the ball is released and just clubs down towards Russell's head and shoulder.

If I get some time later I will .gif some other angles.

The difference between this play and Clemons play is that Luck still had the ball and that is a huge difference.

aawolf

Reaction score
My bias against former UNC players is overwhelming for the most part, but that was not a dirty play. Quinn was in flight before Russell released the ball. I'd take the call and all if it was roughing the passer, but it was not finable Others were right though, we should be fining McQ on that whiff.

seahawks08

Reaction score
fine the guy who could not contain him. Come on, why would you fall down like that. It is about taking the right angle and blocking him head on. I know they are quick but in slow mo, it almost look like our line was sleeping and reacting after the guy has gone. This was the story all along.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
seahawks08":mm7phhm3 said:
fine the guy who could not contain him. Come on, why would you fall down like that. It is about taking the right angle and blocking him head on. I know they are quick but in slow mo, it almost look like our line was sleeping and reacting after the guy has gone. This was the story all along.

He is playing out of position and they are entirely different positions but yeah, that was pretty bad.

essonto

Reaction score
Man, McQ looks like a sack of fertilizer out there, waaaayyyyy overmatched. I would rather see a rookie give it a shot.

My question is why on earth Unger and Carp were double-teaming the DT (Brockers) when Quinn was turnstiling around McQuistan all freaking day! Does Unger call those protections?