Ran into Jerry Rice today

HawkWow

Reaction score
In regards to UN-retiring arguably the all-time greatest Hawks number: Some say Largent "gave his blessing". Other reports say Largent, the consummate gentleman, told Rice "I'm running for office right now and have bigger concerns than a jersey number" and Rice ran with that. Some also suggest Largent was (rightfully) hurt by our FO for putting the decision on him. Disgusting.

No matter how you dice it, Rice was and is an egomaniacal jackass of the highest regard. If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living shit out of Jerry Rice. Despise everything about the man and can't stomach even the sight of him. He makes my skin crawl much in the way of Rapistburger.

I accidently saw a clip of Rice the other day. My remote control out of my reach, I had to endure this from him: "I could sit here and say I'm the greatest football player that ever lived, but I'm just not that kind of guy". LMAO at this POS.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
HawkWow":1oy94s5k said:
If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living shit out of Jerry Rice.

:roll:

Sac

Reaction score
My boss' boss played in a charity golf tournament a few years back with Rice. He said he had a professional masseuse follow him and rub him down at every hole, slowing the game. Also that he hoarded all the free crap they gave away that none of the regular people wanted.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":rfhpzvuo said:
My boss' boss played in a charity golf tournament a few years back with Rice. He said he had a professional masseuse follow him and rub him down at every hole, slowing the game. Also that he hoarded all the free crap they gave away that none of the regular people wanted.
Class act. :sarcasm_off:

HawkWow

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2ff37qe8 said:
HawkWow":2ff37qe8 said:
If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living shit out of Jerry Rice.

:roll:

Before he got all passive, Rollins would have done the same (and real punks don't do eye rolls). Poser?

HawkWow

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2hah2brf said:

It's become impossible for me to hear or see the guy. The whole Pro-bowl draft thing, where he didn't bother to shake the hands or even look up at some of his draftees, just put me over the top. He is nothing more than a stain on our franchise, IMO.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Greatest receiver I have seen to date. Total Shitbag for using number 80. Nobody does that without being a selfish bastard.

Who even asks for that? To unretire a jersey? Trader Bob should have sent him packing right then. Largent should have called him out.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
HawkWow":2c91l4bb said:
Rice would own you

zhawk

Reaction score
I used to live in the Sacramento area.... everyone always called him a class act.... until the last few years when the niners were struggling. then the word leaked out about locker room tantrums and crap like that. all class out the window. once I heard about the #80 fiasco I was truly impressed by the class Steve Largent showed. not sure I would have been so gracious. rice could play ball, but he was a poor sport. :49ersmall:

Greenhell

Reaction score
HawkWow":262x92yr said:
In regards to UN-retiring arguably the all-time greatest Hawks number: Some say Largent "gave his blessing". Other reports say Largent, the consummate gentleman, told Rice "I'm running for office right now and have bigger concerns than a jersey number" and Rice ran with that. Some also suggest Largent was (rightfully) hurt by our FO for putting the decision on him. Disgusting.

No matter how you dice it, Rice was and is an egomaniacal jackass of the highest regard. If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living shit out of Jerry Rice. Despise everything about the man and can't stomach even the sight of him. He makes my skin crawl much in the way of Rapistburger.

I accidently saw a clip of Rice the other day. My remote control out of my reach, I had to endure this from him: "I could sit here and say I'm the greatest football player that ever lived, but I'm just not that kind of guy". LMAO at this POS.

I concur. Jerry Rice is a douche at the highest level.

The whole Jerry Ricecake thing the NFL network is doing to promote the draft has to be Rice's agents idea to keep him relevant. You could see how that guy loves the limelight when if fact he looks like an old man trying to be fun and hip. Exactly the opposite.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Greenhell":1uefnm3e said:
I concur. Jerry Rice is a douche at the highest level.

The whole Jerry Ricecake thing the NFL network is doing to promote the draft has to be Rice's agents idea to keep him relevant. You could see how that guy loves the limelight when if fact he looks like an old man trying to be fun and hip. Exactly the opposite.
Good effort though on the part of his agent cuz he failed miserably on NFL Live on ESPN. It was painful watching him. Hasn't been on the show for some time now and likely won't be anymore, with good reason.

Tical21

Reaction score
It is Jerry freaking Rice. Are you going to invite Michael Jordan to play for your franchise and tell him he can't wear #23, because one of the heroes of your franchise wore it? Millions of football players, from Pee-wee to the pros were wearing #80, and almost every single one of them were doing so because of Jerry Rice. 80 and 23 are the most synonymous numbers in the history of professional sports. Sorry, but this is nothing more than a case of butthurt Seahawks fans.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Tical21":3v7npvsq said:
It is Jerry freaking Rice. Are you going to invite Michael Jordan to play for your franchise and tell him he can't wear #23, because one of the heroes of your franchise wore it? Millions of football players, from Pee-wee to the pros were wearing #80, and almost every single one of them were doing so because of Jerry Rice. 80 and 23 are the most synonymous numbers in the history of professional sports. Sorry, but this is nothing more than a case of butthurt Seahawks fans.

#80 may mean Jerry Rice to a lot of people, but to Seahawk fans, it means Steve freaking Largent, it's retired here for a reason. When Largent retired he owned all the receiving records. Rice should have respected that, he should have respected the great player that came before him...

Rice had no business taking that # off the shelf and out of the rafters. It was embarrassing for everyone, and disrespectful.

If you're a fan of Rice, cool. But it's more than ''butthurt Seahawk fans".

Greenhell

Reaction score
Tical21":2mxamutn said:

Yeah and how big were those sales of #80 Rice jerseys? Anyone who bought/owns/wears one should be ashamed of themselves as a Hawk fan. You like Rice? Fine. Wear his Niners jersey.

Tical21

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":138ufdoj said:
Tical21":138ufdoj said:

#80 may mean Jerry Rice to a lot of people, but to Seahawk fans, it means Steve freaking Largent, it's retired here for a reason. When Largent retired he owned all the receiving records. Rice should have respected that, he should have respected the great player that came before him...

Rice had no business taking that # off the shelf and out of the rafters. It was embarrassing for everyone, and disrespectful.

If you're a fan of Rice, cool. But it's more than ''butthurt Seahawk fans".
I don't have any affinity for Rice whatsoever. The best football player I've ever seen in my life, but I have never really been one to pay attention to much that wasn't on-field. Steve Largent very well may be my all-time favorite athlete. I mastered the falling-down toe-tap sideline catch when I was 9 years old. But there are no circumstances whatsoever, here, or anywhere else, where you ask Jerry Rice to take a different number. Would a better guy have passed on the number? Very possibly. But #80 is his brand nationwide, and on the field, he earned the right to do whatever he wants to do with it.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Tical21":2ic01o56 said:
But #80 is his brand nationwide, and on the field, he earned the right to do whatever he wants to do with it.

Maybe his brand nationwide but not in Seattle, not when wearing a Seahawks uniform.

No, he doesn't have the right to what he wants with the number here, the proof is the awkward scene with Largent and Bob Whitsitt, if it was his right he wouldn't have had to ask and put Steve in that position. And look at how this still gets brought up, people still talk and discuss how wrong what he did was.

If it was his 'right' people wouldn't have thought twice about it, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

#80 is retired. He should have respected that.

jeremiah

Reaction score
It is stupid to retire numbers, they should hang them in the stadium for all the world to see, and let the coach and front office make the decision if a player is worthy of that number.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
jeremiah":2q86w9op said:
It is stupid to retire numbers, they should hang them in the stadium for all the world to see, and let the coach and front office make the decision if a player is worthy of that number.
I pretty much agree. The Yankees have so many retired they're kinda running out of numbers.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I have Largents jersey still..I met him as a kid along with Jim Zorn..Those 2 are class acts..I'm not pissed that Rice wore the number because if anyone could and should..Jerry Rice would be the choice..It was only
temporary anyway..We all know who the real Hawk #80 is..Nothing takes that away..