Random Thoughts™ on the Redskins playoff game

kearly

Reaction score
(Settle in, this will be an especially long one).

I watched this game at Big Al's in Vancouver, which seats about 200 people. Almost everyone in attendance was rooting for the Seahawks, and quite passionately in fact.

The crowd was hopping before the game, cheering and booing like drunken fanatics as each of the Fox commentators made their game picks. Once the game began, it got quiet in a hurry. It wasn't until Alfred Morris was stopped for no gain during Washington's second drive that the crowd had any reason to celebrate. Washington was already up 7-0. A few minutes later, it became 14-0.

I am all for stat "nerdery", but occasionally a stat nerd will fall into the anti-intangibles trap of claiming that momentum is a myth. If you played- you know- in game momentum is very real, and this game is about as big an example of that as you can find. I use Seahawks games as a chance to spend time with my brother and father, and after the game my Dad joked that this game "was 4 quarters of domination!" Even during the game, I was reminded of Seattle's 2007-2008 playoff loss to Green Bay, with the results reversed. Seattle jumped up 14-0, then got crushed the rest of the way.

You guys watched the game and you know how the rest went. It was a frustrating game but also a dominant one. If there is one good thing about frustration, it's how it makes the moments of triumph that much sweeter. Before Seattle scored their eventual game winning TD, they had left more points on the field than they had actually scored. So when Lynch had his TD run, or when Griffin hurt himself and fumbled the game away, it was a pretty intense response from the crowd. It was pretty cool to be a part of that. By the end of the game, there were impromptu "SEA... HAWKS" chants booming across the room by most of the people in attendance.

I was seated pretty far away and couldn't hear almost any of the commentary, so I re-watched on DVR before writing this summary. Re-watching this game reminded me how emotional sports can be. For three quarters of this game, I was convinced Seattle was going to find a way to lose. They finished with 6 red zone trips and had just 1 TD to show for it (Lynch's run was just outside the red zone). Washington was 2 for 2. When Lynch fumbled away Seattle's momentum at the 1 yard line well into the 2nd half, that felt like a "that's it, we just lost" moment.

But this team, led by a QB who doesn't know the meaning of fear, could not be discouraged. I seriously doubt there has been a younger QB with a younger team than Seattle that has handled adversity better in a road playoff game than Seattle did today. Seattle trailed this entire game until about half the 4th quarter remained, but never collapsed. I did. I lost count of how many times I threw up my hands and thought "same old Seahawks." And let's be honest, if Seattle had lost this game 14-13, it would be a damningly appropriate ending to the 2012 season. It's been a "tremendous" season, but it's also among the most frustrating seasons I've ever watched.

Watching the game on DVR, with knowledge of the outcome, gave me the complete opposite impression. Fed-ex field was a funeral procession for most of the game. Though Seattle took agonizingly long to break through, everyone in that building knew it was coming. I may have felt upset with all the brutal breaks that went against Seattle, but Skins fans had it far worse. Nothing is more gut wrenching than holding a 1 point lead over a team that is clearly dominating. Washington emphatically won the 1st quarter, but for the remainder of the game Seattle outgained Washington by a ridiculous 352 to 74 yardage differential. To say Washington got smoked would not be an understatement, regardless of what the scoreboard indicated throughout the game.

Getting back to momentum, I think it partially explains why Wilson is so special. Wilson is an elite QB. I think there should be little doubt after finishing the year 4th in passer rating and elevating the offense from nearly dead last to nearly the top of the NFL in his first season (by efficiency metrics). But Wilson's intangibles are just as special, and just because we can't put a number value on them does not mean they should be discounted. Like a great general or a great president, Wilson has the ability to manufacture morale no matter how tough the going gets. Lynch got today's game ball from the broadcast, but would Seattle survive a 14-0 deficit on the road with an average leader at QB? I seriously doubt it.

Wilson's performance today was nothing short of heroic. My memory of T-jack is mostly a warm one, but if he were starting this game just try to imagine how things might have spiraled after getting steamrolled 14-0 in the first frame. Wilson HAD to respond by his second drive. It feels like whenever Wilson HAS to make a play, he makes it. The resiliency on this team is off the charts. It is impossible to believe they are among the very youngest rosters in the NFL.

Random thoughts:

If you are looking for reasons why Seattle struggled so much on the Redskins' first two drives, Red Bryant's poor early performance is a good place to start. Morris had enormous running lanes on his off tackle runs early. Alarmingly, the off tackle running was far more effective to Bryant's side. Bryant was not only getting beat on the blocks, but he was getting beat on single blocks from such feared run blockers as Tyler Polumbus and Logan Paulsen (a tight end). When Bryant wasn't getting driven back, he was misreading read option and guessing wrong. He even had a dead to rights sack on a gimpy RG3 near the sideline. RG3 took one step back then jogged around Bryant. Crisis averted.

Bryant also came unblocked and in perfect position to drop Morris for a loss on one play. He whiffed badly, and Morris scampered for a gain of 7 when he should have lost 2.

Bryant isn't the only goat, but I would say his performance hurt the most especially on the 1st drive. Bryant would improve slightly on the 2nd drive (though still wasn't good). From the 3rd drive on, he settled in and had a very Red Bryant type game. Still, it's performances like this that should re-open the discussion about Red Bryant and the future of our front seven. He's adding essentially nothing to the pass rush, and there is a growing body of evidence that his contribution in the run game is overstated.

Whether Bryant's run defense is still enough to justify the pass rush sacrifice, that's where Pete Carroll's decision rests. I know he can't be happy with the pass rush this season after it was his top priority last year. We'll see what he does.

Brandon Browner had a rough game, though it ultimately didn't show up in the stat column. RG3 has not been much of a deep passer in 2012 and that was just as true in the playoffs. Browner was burned on occasion, and seemed to get away with an awful lot with minimal flags. Basically, he was 2011 Browner again (minus the penalty bad luck). Thankfully, Washington's WR group is a joke. Atlanta's is not. Some rust from a 4 week layoff is to be expected, but we will need Browner to play like his 2012 self next week.

Zach Miller did a terrific job ensuring his financial security this offseason.

On what might have been the biggest play of the game that nobody will remember, Seattle faced 3rd and 12 already down 14-0 and desperate to avoid another 3 and out. Wilson was pressured and threw a very low pass to Miller who was still about 6 yards short of the marker. Just catching the ball was a task. Miller scooped it then beast moded his way through 3 defenders to achieve the first down with an inch to spare, at most. Seattle would later score a field goal on that drive to get on the board 14-3.

Flash forward to the 4th quarter. Seattle is still (miraculously) trailing, 14-13. Just 8:53 of game clock remains... and you start to realize that Seattle is officially running out of chances. Seattle faced a critical 3rd down- 3rd and 10 at their own 46. Under pressure, Wilson found Miller wide open for a huge 22 yard gain and the first. Later in the same drive Lynch scored the go-ahead TD.

Needing a 2 point conversion, Wilson quickly found his man in the endzone. Guess who? After that drive Seattle never looked back.

While Seattle has plenty of areas worthy of upgrade in the passing game, upgrading on Miller will be about as tough as it gets. He might not put up huge numbers, but he's about as trustworthy as they come.

Doug Baldwin had a very clutch game in what was a very good night for our WR corps. Baldwin caught a very tough first down granting catch on 3rd and 5. On the snap, Wilson was pressured immediately. Hit as he threw, Baldwin had not yet finished his route and was blanketed. Baldwin snagged the ball and displayed strong hands by holding on as the DB mugged him right as the ball arrived. Six yard gain, first down. That drive would result in a field goal to end the first half (14-13).

Baldwin and Rice both beat coverage for an easy TD. In Rice's case, Wilson missed the read (he was pressured) and instead opted to take a 28 yard run instead. Wilson would not miss Baldwin's chance, but badly overthrew him despite having plenty of time to throw. It was one of the few mistakes Wilson made all game.

On Seattle's first scoring drive, Seattle faced 2nd and 7 from the Redskins 9 yard line. After buying a ton of time, Wilson pulled the trigger on an ill-advised pass to Baldwin in the end zone, but failed to see the safety squatting on the route. More often than not, this play results in a red zone interception, but Baldwin did a fantastic job playing the role of DB and swatting the ball away from behind the safety.

Baldwin has always impressed me with his blocking, and he had a few nice downfield blocks in this game as well.

I wasn't 100% sure if Robinson really deserved to be a pro-bowler last year. This year was different. An alternate once again in 2012, Robinson probably deserved better. Very few fullbacks in the league impact their offenses the way Robinson has in Seattle. He's not just a great lead blocker, he's also a real threat to catch and surprisingly proficient on short yardage. Anyone at all surprised that Wilson's lone TD pass of the day was to Robinson? Not me. He seems to be turning into a great leader as well.

This game was all about the dramatic sideline catch. Rice had a spectacular one early. Tate had a goofy looking one later. I'm sure Washington had at least one of them.

And for the first time I can remember, a Seahawks player (KJ Wright) finally took advantage of the push out rule change from a few years ago, pushing out Josh Morgan just barely in time before the 2nd foot came down. A few years ago, that's a TD, but not today. Morgan complained so loudly that the field mics picked it up, apparently unaware of the push out rule change. Unfortunately, RG3 would find the endzone a couple plays later, so it ended up not mattering. Still, it was cool to see a Seahawks defender having presence of mind in that situation.

Overall, I thought the officiating was phenomenal in this game. They blew just one call, a call against the Redskins for holding that extended a Seattle drive, but it was close enough to be debatable and though it was huge at the time, it probably was not the difference in the game. There was a lot of fighting in this game but no flags for any of it- which is the way it should be. Instead of just watching and waiting to grab a flag, they actively broke up fights and kept the game reasonably under control. As the broadcast pointed out, Seattle and Washington have some history when it comes to fighting, so all things considered I thought the officials did a good job of keeping things in order while remaining fair.

They also did a great job getting the Sidney Rice sideline catch right in real time, sparing Carroll the need to challenge. I'd love to see this same group back in Atlanta next week.

Kickers almost never get injured. Funny how Hauschka was just on the Real Rob Report not two weeks ago talking about being careful with workload/injury. How often do you see kickers get injured, in the playoffs? Talk about unpleasant. Every one of Hauschka's kicks felt like the most nerve racking 30 yard field goal in history. To his credit, he did an amazing job today. He was 3/3 on a tweaked ankle, and only his PAT attempt came close to missing.

Once again, Seattle struggled with base pass rush, and once again, things somehow worked out in the end defensively. Seriously, imagine this team with an elite base pass rush. We'd never lose again.

Clemons left the game with an unspecified knee injury. It is believed to be an ACL, but it's at least worth noting that he appeared to be walking slowly around the sideline on his own power without a visible limp. This will probably end Clemons' season, and at his age an ACL is serious business. Here's hoping that it's a very minor ACL and that full recovery won't take a full two years.

Now get this- Seattle's pass rush improved by leaps and bounds around the time Clemons left the game. Part of that was because Griffin himself was injured and was losing his ability to avoid pressure. Cousins isn't an artist at avoiding sacks either. Both QBs tend to hold the ball, and that's great news for Bruce Irvin, who was thrust into an every down role. (How huge was that sack by Irvin, btw?). But I think the real reason for the uptick was that Carroll seemed to compensate for Clemons departure by blitzing. As I've said many times this year, Seattle's pass rush comes to life when Carroll does anything to manufacture pressure.

I hope that trend continues because Matt Ryan is having a terrific season but isn't especially elusive. If Seattle can take him out of the game, Atlanta will not stand a chance. In a way, losing Clemons could prove to be a blessing if it means a return to blitzing with press man coverage.

Michael Strahan had a good insight into Seattle's coverage in the post game. He talked about how defenses have to play a lot of zone against mobile QBs like RG3 because the threat to run is so great. Makes sense- because man coverage often means vacating the middle of the field as you cover players deep downfield. Seattle may not run zone well, but there are still situations where zone makes a lot of sense. Given the threat that Tannehill, Cutler, Kaepernick, and RG3 all possessed as runners, it makes sense that we've seen a huge uptick in zone coverage lately.

Next week Seattle faces Matt Ryan, who's mobility is pretty much dead average. He isn't known to run the ball often. Hopefully that means Seattle can take advantage by reverting to press coverage against their elite WR corps.

Anyone notice that Wilson protected his body less in this game? He even took a big helmet to helmet hit right to the temple on an 11 yard red zone run. He jumped up immediately and went about his business like nothing happened. I'm starting to think his durability is about more than his decision making. He's a tough dude, no question about it. Even when he gets nailed, his body language after the hit makes it appear that he somehow deflected the blow.

Jeremy Lane made one of the better punt coverage tackles I've seen. Pretty good for a CB.

Very late in the game, with Seattle nursing a 10 point lead, the Seahawks went for it on 4th and 6. Had they converted, it would have allowed them to use the victory formation on the next play. The Redskins (freshly out of timeouts), realized to their horror that they had the wrong defensive package on the field. Several Redskins players ran off the field- this while Seattle was already lined up and Wilson under center. Two of the Redskins players were on Seattle's side of the field. Wilson (or Unger) could have snapped the ball at any time and gotten an automatic 12 men on the field penalty or an offsides, which would have set up 4th and 1 and (if my understanding of the rules is correct) would have allowed Seattle to run an extra 45 seconds of game clock off.

Wilson waited mercifully for the Redskins to finish their substitution instead of taking the free yardage. He then snapped the ball and threw an incomplete pass. While this might seem like a mistake, especially in a playoff game, something tells me he showed Washington mercy on his own volition. Just seems like the kind of way that Carroll/Wilson would handle that situation, up by 10 with a minute to go against an offense that hadn't scored in three quarters.

I'm not saying that Moffitt is all-pro material, but it seems like every time Lynch has a nice run there was a key block in there from #74. Moffitt won't dominate anybody, and he's not terribly fast, but he's about as good a technician as we have on this team right now. He knows how to take out a linebacker. He knows how to seal the edge. He knows how to turn a DT out of his gap. Never dominant, but often useful, is John Moffitt.

In tonight's game I noticed him several times, but the only time I wrote his name down was on Lynch's game winning 27 yard TD run where Moffitt did a great job taking out a linebacker. Lynch ran to that approximate area, and because of Moffitt's block, Washington only had one defender (DeAngelo Hall) to stop Lynch. Lynch did a nifty move and Hall whiffed. Lynch wouldn't be touched until mere yards from the goal line, where he powered his way in for the score.

Russell Wilson is a hell of a blocker for a QB.

The Redskins lived in Seattle territory during the 1st quarter. After the 1st quarter ended, they would never enter Seahawks territory ever again.

Final thought:

Almost every champion has a moment in the playoffs that they look back to. If we are so fortunate to win it all this year, we already know what that moment will be. On 1st and 5, with the team trailing 14-3, Wilson flubbed a handoff on a read option play to Marshawn Lynch. The ball squirted out in an embarrassing manner worthy of Mark Sanchez. Worse yet, Washington had a defender in the perfect spot to recover the ball. Had Wilson not instantly sold out diving after the ball (just barely knocking it away from the defender), it's entirely possible that Washington not only recovers the fumble but runs it for a long, game altering score.

Wilson deflected the ball. After that, it's anyone's guess who gets it, but plays like this almost always end badly for the offense. Seattle did not have an assigned player in the area. That's when Marshawn Lynch appeared out of nowhere to save the day, scooping up the ball with remarkable skill and turning a disaster into a massive 18 yard gain in the blink of an eye. Lynch was not my MVP this game, but that was the kind of play an MVP makes. Seattle would later score a touchdown on the same drive to pull within a 14-10 deficit.

Lynch of course had a devastating fumble at the goal line. But I'm guessing 10 years from now I won't remember that. I'll remember Lynch swooping in to save our season at a time and place that was completely unexpected. Right now, it's a great play in a wildcard game. But if Seattle wins it all, it could be a play that people remember for ages, the same way that Brady's tuck rule is remembered for ushering the dynastic Patriots in 2001. On a day where a lot didn't go right for the Seahawks, it's the one play that bounced perfectly that will be remembered the longest.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Ahhh, the article worth waiting for. Well done Kip. I disagree that Browner has an awful game. Awful first half, yes, but it seemed to me he shook off the rust by then and made some pretty good plays.

As for the rest...spot on.

themunn

Reaction score
couple of things:

I don't think anyone will forget the Miller catch on 3rd and long, that along with the Beast fumble recovery was the most important play of the game.

I though the call on holding which extended our drive was a legit call, Hall AND Wilson both had fistfuls of our players jerseys, though there was a dodgy no-PI call late in the game when Trufant grabbed someone's leg just as they were going up for the catch that I'd have been fuming over if I was a Redskin fan.

As far Wilson protecting himself, he's definitely a tough dude, but I think it comes down to the fact that these late games and playoff games are more important, so he can afford to take a few hits in order to gain yards in important games - there's a big difference between putting yourself at risk of a big hit for an extra 5 yards in Week 1 compared to Wild-Card Weekend, and I think Russell knows it.

As for the "mercy" snap on 4th and 6 near the end of the game, I know it's near the end of the game and the victory was all but assured, but you take that foul when the defense gives you it and run out the clock the way you're supposed to. Not a fan of showing mercy for stupidity like that

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Great writeup Kip. You're right, we dominated them a lot more than it felt like at the time. Next week vs Atlanta will be an interesting matchup.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Excellent as always Kip.

I agree with themunn above that the Hawks should have snapped the ball and drawn the flag on the Skins on that 12 men on the field chance. Expect and give no mercy.

Have you see Miller's pancake block yet? I think it was at the LOS on Beast's TD run. A thing of beauty. Man he was impressive today. He WILL be a Hawk next year. No doubt about it.

bellingerga

Reaction score
excellent write-up, as always brochacho.

Aren't we just blessed to have not 1, but 2 offensive players capable of shouldering the load and really taking the game over?

Russell has garnered alot of attention and enthusiasm, rightfully so, but we should always appreciate exactly how lucky we are to have a runner as badass, relentless and dedicated to winning, as Marshawn Lynch.

Scooping up that flubbed handoff was a HUGE play. I will definitely remember that, for a long time.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
You know what I won't forget? The look on Marshawns face after he fumbled at the endzone. That pain in his face. Like he'd just arrived too late to save a village from being wiped out. I have the highest respect for Lynch now. He wants it bad. Winning means everything to him.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kearly":2rpf0d1k said:
Seriously, imagine this team with an elite base pass rush. We'd never lose again.
I think this is literally true. It's incredible that we rarely get pressure, yet perform so well overall on defense.

I still scratch my head as far as why we almost never blitz, though. Our blitzes this year must be in the top 5 for efficiency. (Just a random guess.) They seem to work superbly every time we do them, but we never do them. : /

CANHawk

Reaction score
One random thought that I had was that Brandon Mebane was the one that caused Bob to finally hurt his knee for good... And he didn't even have to touch him.

He was giving their centre fits all day, which caused the centre to not concentrate on his primary job of snapping the ball properly, which led to Bob having to make a weird unscheduled move to go get it when it got lawn-bowled to him, which led to his knee going pop.

Bane and Alan Branch both had great games today.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Good point, CAN. However, I still put the blame for injuries to Hauschka, Clemons, and RG3 squarely on that cheap piece of crap, Dan "steal the pennies off a dead man's eyes" Snyder. The NFL should ban natural grass. Seriously.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Red Bryant has been playing on a bad foot for quite awhile now and it is noticeable. In both his play and the run d. Fortunately it is more of a chink in batmans armor than it is a crack in a damn.

gtcotcakya

Reaction score
Well done, as usual.

Since you didn't mention it, I'm curious about your take on Kam. It didn't seem to me that he had a very good game today (particularly on the two TDs). We'll need him to step it up next week against TG.

Harperville

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3oxu64d9 said:
Good point, CAN. However, I still put the blame for injuries to Hauschka, Clemons, and RG3 squarely on that cheap piece of crap, Dan "steal the pennies off a dead man's eyes" Snyder. The NFL should ban natural grass. Seriously.

It wasn't even natural grass. It was painted green dirt. Atrocious.

HawkGANG

Reaction score
We were owed that hold call that extended our drive as reparation for the missed hold on Golden Tate at the goal line.

Thought Kam had a below average game. Where is the BAM BAM we all saw play like a man possessed in that last San Fran blowout? He literally just sat in that zone for their two TDs and watched. I know he will play better in this Falcons game he's too good a football player.

Latest posts