Random thoughts on the Denver preseason game

ZagHawk

Reaction score
yeah i didn't like how our guys were not able to maintain their cool with the ejection and taunting. Yeah we have attitude, but I felt like our team always did it in a way where the other team was the second to hit and get penalized. Yesterday it seemed like our team was getting penalized, talk crap, get a little scrappy, but do it in a way where you get them flagged not yourself.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
WendellWent":27mh7klm said:
kearly":27mh7klm said:
RolandDeschain":27mh7klm said:
Why should any form of scoring be completely automatic? Either remove extra point kicks and make TDs worth 7, or move them back even farther, IMO. I think it'd be interesting if they were 45-yard attempts.

I still remember a game in 2008 when the eventual 0-12 Huskies scored a last second TD on a Jake Locker run. All they needed was an extra point to head to overtime, but because they celebrated the play (understandable), they added 15 yards on the PAT. Which they missed. Worst ending to a game ever.

I'm fine with automatic PATs, but potentially deciding a game on a point after is a really really bad idea. You think people hate ties, they will hate losing a game on an arbitrarily long PAT a thousand times more.

This is the modern day football fan. Just a head scratcher. I bet you root for high draft picks once the Hawks are eliminated from playoff contention, too.

Honestly, I don't even get what you are saying.

I think we can probably agree on one thing though: that I should probably stop doing these write-ups. People can't share observations around here without being shit on by a bunch of people, and that takes a toll over time. The occasional insightful comments are nice, but it's not enough.

I think this will be my last one, at least for a long while.

WendellWent

Reaction score
kearly":24nv9wd1 said:
WendellWent":24nv9wd1 said:
kearly":24nv9wd1 said:
RolandDeschain":24nv9wd1 said:
Why should any form of scoring be completely automatic? Either remove extra point kicks and make TDs worth 7, or move them back even farther, IMO. I think it'd be interesting if they were 45-yard attempts.

I still remember a game in 2008 when the eventual 0-12 Huskies scored a last second TD on a Jake Locker run. All they needed was an extra point to head to overtime, but because they celebrated the play (understandable), they added 15 yards on the PAT. Which they missed. Worst ending to a game ever.

I'm fine with automatic PATs, but potentially deciding a game on a point after is a really really bad idea. You think people hate ties, they will hate losing a game on an arbitrarily long PAT a thousand times more.

This is the modern day football fan. Just a head scratcher. I bet you root for high draft picks once the Hawks are eliminated from playoff contention, too.

I think we can probably agree on one thing though: that I should probably stop doing these write-ups. People can't make observations around here without being shit on by a bunch of people, and that takes a toll over time.

Not shitting on you, or what you wrote. I think you are looking at things hypercritically, and I thought your observations were trying too hard to make mountains out of mole hills in a preseason game.

The quote about the XPs is just silly, and really doesn't appreciate the history of XPs in the NFL. It is the fantasy football, sabermetrics, advanced stat geeks, that get their panties ina twist over it. The long XP makes the play relevant again and not just an excuse to fit in two commercial breaks.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
WendellWent":pi2u4u5k said:

Obviously this comment was in no way disrespectful while bringing up several salient points.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kearly":ipfec6b6 said:
I think we can probably agree on one thing though: that I should probably stop doing these write-ups. People can't share observations around here without being shit on by a bunch of people, and that takes a toll over time. The occasional insightful comments are nice, but it's not enough.

Ouch. Hopefully that's not directed at me, my comment wasn't intended to be negative, just a curious question. I hate that you feel like you don't want to do these write-ups anymore. :(

WendellWent

Reaction score
kearly":2f2ys3on said:
WendellWent":2f2ys3on said:

Obviously this comment was in no way disrespectful while bringing up several salient points.

I didn't mean that as an insult, and I think it is telling that you thought it was one. I was speaking about the outlook of a football fan that thinks that way. People that want the XP to be automatic see the NFL differently than a lot of old schoolers do. They are the madden generation, which also aligns with the win at all cost, including tanking for draft picks, mentality. Your statements lead me to believe you are this type of person. Am I wrong?

Either way, it is always good to hear differing observations, even if I disagree.

Alexander

Reaction score
WendellWent":2kgassoj said:
kearly":2kgassoj said:
WendellWent":2kgassoj said:

I didn't mean that as an insult, and I think it is telling that you thought it was one. I was speaking about the outlook of a football fan that thinks that way. People that want the XP to be automatic see the NFL differently than a lot of old schoolers do. They are the madden generation, which also aligns with the win at all cost, including tanking for draft picks, mentality. Your statements lead me to believe you are this type of person. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. That you can't understand how insulting you're being is very telling.

If you genuinely believe that differing opinions is a good thing, perhaps you should learn how to express yours without making insulting, overly broad generalizations about others.

Alexander

Reaction score
kearly":19lmp8gd said:
WendellWent":19lmp8gd said:
kearly":19lmp8gd said:
RolandDeschain":19lmp8gd said:

Sorry to hear that, Kip. I can't say I blame you. Lately it seems like a thread can't last more than a page or two until people start acting like dicks.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Alexander":1gl8tw7y said:
WendellWent":1gl8tw7y said:
kearly":1gl8tw7y said:
WendellWent":1gl8tw7y said:

Yes, you are wrong. That you can't understand how insulting you're being is very telling.

If you genuinely believe that differing opinions is a good thing, perhaps you should learn how to express yours without making insulting, overly broad generalizations about others.

It's insulting because I said I didn't understand that line of thinking? I never once said it was wrong, bad, whatever.

titan3131

Reaction score
Kearly,

I appreciate ur random thoughts so much. I'm a newer fan to the finer points in football, and reading your opinions help me know I'm actually learning and dissecting what I watch correctly.

Plz don't stop.

Plz ignore the guy with 14 posts.

Or just pm them to me...

Tical21

Reaction score
Just watched again. Wow, Scruggs and Mayowa were even less of a factor than I previously thought. They just got nowhere. Not sure either is a real NFL player. I still can't figure out why Chris Clemons isn't on this team. I think we're banking on somebody stepping up. It has to be Irvin, Schofield or Morgan, right?

Our guards had a rough game. There weren't very many times where the RB didn't have to adjust his path after taking the hand-off.

Who gets displaced to get Richardson on the field?

I don't know why, but Cooper Helfet makes me nervous. I think he's going to drop every pass.

I don't think we were really flat. We came out fine. Denver had a huge long drive that took some of the oomph out of us, and then the hour delay didn't help, but we came back fine. I think if we stop the run a bit more and convert some of the red zone opportunities, we aren't talking about emotion level. Not doing those things will effect your levels, or did the chicken come first?

I loved the pop-pass to Miller, even though we didn't complete it. We don't do that nearly enough, especially against the blitz.

I don't think Ware belongs either, unless somebody is going to keep a 5th back to play on special teams. I have never seen a NFL caliber tailback in him. Seems like the type that you might try to transition to LB or something.

titan3131

Reaction score
HunnyBadger":3sqzqs0t said:
Me like:
1. Paul Richardson: He looks relaxed and ran some good routes.

2. Christine Michael: I take notice when he has the ball...and I'm sure Denver also noticed him more than Turbin. The chop block is a mental error. The fumble was a well-placed helmet. It feels like he is really jacked up because he didn't get any playing time last year. I expect him to get better with more regular season reps; mistakes are to be expected.

3. Kiero Small: He's a thumper. Hard-nosed lead blocks, I saw. Though DC also had a nice lead block on CM's long run in the redzone. Kiero vs DC is a tough choice for me. Too bad Kiero dropped that ball on the flat. To me, Kerio looks like a more natural fullback than DC.

4. Brock Coyle: Probably the guy who helped himself the most this game. Really good instincts.

Me no like:
1. Turbin: No comment.

2. ET3 returning punts.

3. Long extra points. Sigh.

4. All the laundry being thrown on passing plays is getting ridiculous.

5. Jeremy Lane taunting foul. Dude, take the advice your twitter name suggests, @StayingInMyLane.

6. Tharold Simon ejection. Really? Good luck making the roster without providing any gametape.

Me Hope:
1. Phil Bate's legs are ok. He took a awkward hit at the end of the end-around play. Oh yeah...and why are we calling end-arounds during preseason again?

2. AJ Jefferson has only a minor injury: Nice pick. Looks like his ankle got tweaked when he was tackled?

BTW:
Marsh looks like Seth Rogen.

QnEcxvT7bNESTHtVJVSxnuh2pAf3BYA7LbvNtxEeEVf 0KHgBQ THdurO qvz59f1VwvHsUqno1cNxTF7wVyRskbUnCxc3 JErvRY

Btw justin britt looks like chris pratt!

chris98251

Reaction score

This is an attack on a poster and not the argument of a topic.

Not shitting on you, or what you wrote. I think you are looking at things hypercritically, and I thought your observations were trying too hard to make mountains out of mole hills in a preseason game.

The quote about the XPs is just silly, and really doesn't appreciate the history of XPs in the NFL. It is the fantasy football, sabermetrics, advanced stat geeks, that get their panties ina twist over it. The long XP makes the play relevant again and not just an excuse to fit in two commercial breaks.

Again attacking the poster and not the topics.

It's insulting because I said I didn't understand that line of thinking? I never once said it was wrong, bad, whatever.

Just because you don't understand something does not give a person the right to attack the person, there are ways to ask for clarification if you have a question or question something.

Since you have only 14 posts and have violated rules in 2 of them already that I have read here is a link to the rules of the forum. Read it and use it. Consider this a warning and a public service announcement.

Kearly does write ups for our games and has been contributing them for years, talking about his analysis and disagreeing or agreeing is fine, going after him because of them is not, nor any other poster for anything the post. All members should respect this, we have a place called the Smack Shack if you want to trade barbs and insults, it's not in the main football forums, this is to all members.

We are not going to tolerate this type of posting be it tenured members or new ones.

CW0017CP-2.jpg

Is waiting for those that have no consideration for these rules and guidelines.

Kearly, I know you put a lot of time and energy into your breakdowns, most of us enjoy the reads and even if not agreeing appreciate the perspective, it gives many of us thoughts to ponder and communicate with the rest of the members. Don't let a few people take what most of us consider a huge contribution away if you feel that it isn't appreciated because it is.

WendellWent

Reaction score
chris98251":1a5g9rwc said:

Just because you don't understand something does not give a person the right to attack the person, there are ways to ask for clarification if you have a question or question something.

Since you have only 14 posts and have violated rules in 2 of them already that I have read here is a link to the rules of the forum. Read it and use it. Consider this a warning and a public service announcement.

Kearly does write ups for our games and has been contributing them for years, talking about his analysis and disagreeing or agreeing is fine, going after him because of them is not, nor any other poster for anything the post. All members should respect this, we have a place called the Smack Shack if you want to trade barbs and insults, it's not in the main football forums, this is to all members.

We are not going to tolerate this type of posting be it tenured members or new ones.

CW0017CP-2.jpg

Kearly, I know you put a lot of time and energy into your breakdowns, most of us enjoy the reads and even if not agreeing appreciate the perspective, it gives many of us thoughts to ponder and communicate with the rest of the members. Don't let a few people take what most of us consider a huge contribution away if you feel that it isn't appreciated because it is.

I did read the rules. Nothing I wrote is a direct attack more than anyone else who doesn't understand this line of thinking. I didn't use foul language, call the guy names, or anything. I don't get how commenting on the difference between the way the modern fan watches the game, and how old schoolers watch it, is an "attack". I can't address the guy without using the word "you" or "your" when talking about HIS viewpoint, so I am not sure what highlighting my use of those words is supposed to point out. It is a fundamental difference of opinion, which isn't just a post thing, it has to do with how he views the games.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
WendellWent":1khkx6hn said:
chris98251":1khkx6hn said:

CW0017CP-2.jpg

I did read the rules. Nothing I wrote is a direct attack more than anyone else who doesn't understand this line of thinking. I didn't use foul language, call the guy names, or anything. I don't get how commenting on the difference between the way the modern fan watches the game, and how old schoolers watch it, is an "attack". I can't address the guy without using the word "you" or "your" when talking about HIS viewpoint, so I am not sure what highlighting my use of those words is supposed to point out. It is a fundamental difference of opinion, which isn't just a post thing, it has to do with how he views the games.

Are you that unaware? You intimated kearly was a bad fan because he thought 33 yard extra points are stupid. Which they are. If you can't understand what a complete non - sequitur that statement is, maybe you should shut your mouth and go elsewhere so we don't have to listen to your mind vomits.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Are you that unaware? You intimated kearly was a bad fan because he thought 33 yard extra points are stupid. Which they are. If you can't understand what a complete non - sequitur that statement is, maybe you should shut your mouth and go elsewhere so we don't have to listen to your mind vomits.

Bad fan? I never once said or intimated that he was a bad fan? Where are you getting that?

I said his outlook on XPs aligns with the modern day madden playing fantasy football fanatics. I never implied that it was wrong/bad or anything other than different. I realize that is a lot of the younger generations approach to this game. They are all about the stat sheets and what "should" be. XPs aren't supposed to be a given, and there is a fundamental difference between the two viewpoints. That is all I was pointing out. I stated exactly why I felt that way, as I was quoting someone else's opinion on the exact same thing. It isn't like I was just offering up that opinion blind.

A

Anonymous

kearly":370u468j said:
...Seattle seemed terrified of defensive backfield penalties and as a result Denver WRs were open by a body length within 3 seconds nearly 100% of the time. Seattle was very hands off in coverage and it had a big impact on their effectiveness vs. a team like Denver. Then again, it's very possible that Seattle did this to rope-a-dope Denver for week 3.

The officiating, even though it mostly benefited Seattle. Too many flags. Borderline unwatchable. Definitely worse than last preseason and that is saying a lot.

Excellent observations and commentary, as usual.

Out of everything you mentioned, the above stood out to me, as I was thinking the same.

I agree 100% with the thought that the defense may have been told specifically to avoid contact within 3 yards. I saw Sherman jam his guy a little at the very beginning, but we played backed-off the whole game. Pete probably wanted to give both Denver and the Officials a different style than what they were expecting to see.

I imagine their coaches telling their guys... "Now Seattle always jams you at the line, so we are going to work on avoiding and recovering from that style of play..." or something to that effect. I'm comforted by the thought that they may have wasted some precious camp time on it.

:mrgreen:

Alexander

Reaction score
WendellWent":258eqogu said:
kearly":258eqogu said:
RolandDeschain":258eqogu said:

You bet he roots for high draft picks? You don't see how it's insulting to imply that a person roots for his team to lose?

This post is totally devoid of any substantive content, and ascribes a viewpoint to a person based on ZERO evidence. I'm still baffled how being opposed to PATs necessarily means that a person roots for high draft picks.

Maybe you didn't intend to be offensive, but if you can't re-read this post and understand what the issue is, then I can't help you. Either you get it or you don't.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
:|
WendellWent":2vnql6vu said:

Bad fan? I never once said or intimated that he was a bad fan? Where are you getting that?

I said his outlook on XPs aligns with the modern day madden playing fantasy football fanatics. I never implied that it was wrong/bad or anything other than different. I realize that is a lot of the younger generations approach to this game. They are all about the stat sheets and what "should" be. XPs aren't supposed to be a given, and there is a fundamental difference between the two viewpoints. That is all I was pointing out. I stated exactly why I felt that way, as I was quoting someone else's opinion on the exact same thing. It isn't like I was just offering up that opinion blind.

Yep. Complete lack of self awareness.

WendellWent

Reaction score
Alexander":3sxl1sew said:
You bet he roots for high draft picks? You don't see how it's insulting to imply that a person roots for his team to lose?

This post is totally devoid of any substantive content, and ascribes a viewpoint to a person based on ZERO evidence. I'm still baffled how being opposed to PATs necessarily means that a person roots for high draft picks.

Maybe you didn't intend to be offensive, but if you can't re-read this post and understand what the issue is, then I can't help you. Either you get it or you don't.

You do realize Kip Earlywine is on record rooting for the Hawks to lose for draft position, yes?

Latest posts