Random Thoughts on the Rams game

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Giedi":1rap1nsi said:
ShaunPope":1rap1nsi said:
Hawks D choked against a 4th string QB by giving up a long drive TD after pulling to within 2 pts and then again on the final drive by giving up big passing plays and 3rd down conversions. I'm not giving credit to a Rams QB that has no business being a starter in this league. Hawks flat out stink right now. *mod edit*
That's a pretty tough but realistic way of looking at it.

The facts say otherwise.

Davis has a 94 passer rating, 7.4 ypa, and a 66% completion rate. Those are excellent numbers for any QB, especially one in his first five starts on a troubled offense. To say he's not an NFL QB based on the evidence at hand is just silly.

Hawks held the rams to 7 points in the second half. The Rams total yardage in this game was 100 yards under their season average.

The Hawks D got the big three and out at the end to win the game, but Pete had a brainfart and it cost them.

You'd like to see Seattle's D play better in the redzone, but this loss is clearly on ST and coaching.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Kearly, great take.

I definitely feel the same way. The Seahawks I love are 87% back.

Our defensive line depth makes this year feel a lot like 2012. The injuries at corner being the major issue that differentiates the two years on defense. Tough to play man when you have to protect Burley on the outside.

I am really excited to see Richardson and Norwood going forward.

Harvin robbed us of a lot of value - but we just have to move on.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The fake punt explanation from Pete? We didn't think they would run it in that situation.

Northhawk

Reaction score
kearly":1cc97zch said:
Never has a devastating loss felt easier to take. The offense and even the secondary to a degree look to be back in form. If Seattle wants to go anywhere this year they must get right on offense and they must get right on pass defense. We saw some emphatically good signs from the offense and even a few signs of encouragement from the secondary.

Seattle lost a game, but they were in it despite a mountain of adversity. In a lot of ways, this game mirrors the structure of the Atlanta playoff loss a couple years ago. Big halftime deficit, no pass rush, not the greatest run defense, Lynch struggling early, and Wilson turning it on in the second half with one of the finest performances of his career. All to be undone by an improbable finish by the opponent.

I've defended the pass rush through the first month of the season, but I think now it has clearly become a major issue. Same thing with the OL, and unfortunately both had their worst performances of the season this game. Seattle had to blitz constantly and STILL couldn't get Davis down. Davis is a good QB, and he played close to a perfect game today, but he's not Tony Romo and this isn't the Dallas OL he's behind.

The OL also had several protection breakdowns and numerous holds on run plays (though one such call on Alvin Bailey seemed totally bogus). They also struggled to create run lanes. Lynch was held to 2 yards or less on about half his carries. And when Lynch did break runs, it was usually via the cutback lane. Whatever run production Seattle got this game was mostly thanks to some stellar play by our RBs. And even then, Lynch averaged less than 3 yards per carry (seemingly all his big runs got called back), and his rushing total was doubled by his QB.

Yet despite these issues, Seattle still outgained the Rams by almost 200 yards. Just imagine how badly they would have outgained them if not for the fake punt at the end. And the Seahawks were turnover free. How often does a team lose a game like that?

It would require the other team putting up a monster performance on special teams and that's exactly what the Rams did. Kudos to Jeff Fisher. I don't normally enjoy seeing coaches get fired but when his day comes there will be no shortage of schaudenfreude for me. It's not that he's annoying, it's that he's only annoying to the Seahawks. What did we ever do to him?

For Pete, I don't know why he didn't anticipate the fake on that last punt. Super obvious. You don't need a big punt return with 3 minutes left. Just put your normal D on the field. I think Pete was asleep at the wheel there, and I would be surprised if he didn't admit as much.

I also have no idea how Seattle didn't recover the miraculous fumble at the end, Sherman was right on it and another Seahawk was in the area too.

I wish I could write 5000 more words on how impressive our QB is. But you all saw the game. One moment I must highlight was his big run in the 2nd half. That was like Russell's version of Beastquake. What a moment in his career. It's a shame, had Seattle won that play is all you'd be hearing about all week.

Doug Baldwin is back in a big way.

Though there were a few minor mistakes by Bevell playcall wise (throwing deep on 2nd and 16), I loved how Seattle countered the Rams for selling out to stop the bootleg and Lynch.

Simon is an idiot, although I do think he got screwed on that drive extending DPI.

Davis completed 84% of his passes and looked very sharp. However, up until the final quarter nearly all of those passes where very short and were essentially zone beaters. In other words, he was taking what the D gave him, which is exactly what Pete wanted. The Rams RBs outrushed Seattle's RBs, but the Rams still finished under 300 yards of offense.

Looking ahead, Seattle is kind of screwed. Their five remaining road games are all against teams that won 10+ games last year, and even their home schedule still has some gutty divisional games too. Of course, one of those teams is 3-3-1 Carolina, who has looked awful at times and seems to be in no shape to challenge Seattle if Seattle repeats their performance in this game.

But to make the playoffs, Seattle will probably need 11-5. Which would mean finishing 8-2 after starting 3-3. I'm not a statistician, but I have to think the playoff odds aren't looking great right now.

Seattle has to get hot. Starting right now. They need to pull some upsets and win some games you don't expect them to.

The playoffs start now for Seattle.

If Seattle does miss the postseason, I think we will all look back to the fake punt and the missed chance on the fumble at the end of the year. But despite the devastating nature of this loss, I can't help but feel great about the Seahawks right now. Their offense is back and despite some issues in certain places, they seem to have exorcised the demons that plagued their offense in 2013. And if the pass rush decides to show up, I think we might just be okay on defense too. Or at least good enough.

Gotta agree with u Kearly. After the Harvin trade, the season of inner turmoil and the Dallas loss, I thought they'd play the whole game like the 1st half. Glad to see them come back and make a game of it. Something to build on but it's going to be tough now. They've dug a hole, we'll see if they can dig out of it.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":32n7jlyp said:
The fake punt explanation from Pete? We didn't think they would run it in that situation.

Didn't we also have a delay of game, after a timeout, in the redzone, near end of 2nd half? Pretty sure we did and it was Pete rushing in to try and change the call which caused it, IIRC. If so, it would be up to him to call TO.

Jville

Reaction score
When Pete said he needed to do a better job coaching and claimed responsibility of the Dallas loss, I assumed he would take care of that. Perhaps he needs a couple games to get it right. :229031_shrug:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
My thoughts:

- The defense strongly resembles the 2012 version.......very little pass rush, giving up 3rd and longs and/or game losing drives when they're needed most.
- Run defense is not great at times. Wagner is missed badly for that reason.
- Turnovers are non-existent and it's killing this team.
- Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril are not generating anywhere near enough pass rush on the edges and no one is generating a damned thing up the middle. Perhaps we do miss McDonald far more than at least I thought. I'm beginning to wonder if Bennett is suffering from "I got my money" syndrome.
- Richard Sherman is NOT suffering from "I got my money" syndrome. There was some disagreement about his play last week, but there should be none this week. Dude flat out balled today. I believe he had but one completion against him and made several important open field tackles. I also noticed he was playing much tighter this week. I think he's decided to go back to last year's press technique and let the penalties fall where they may. Good move man.

For those in the Gameday Forum and elsewhere that have been saying Russell Wilson is "finished" or "overrated" or whatever general comments along those lines that I've seen here, you just saw a guy put an entire offense on his back and carry it despite having his ass physically kicked for most of the game. He didn't play well last week. He did play well and then some this week.
- Along those lines, our o-line is shit in both pass pro and more disturbingly, run blocking. When will Cable be held accountable? Guard play today was brutal. Worst game Sweezy's had in a while and worst game Carp has had this season.
- This team desperately needs to go d-line and o-line in the next draft.
- P-Rich looked comfortable and I think we'll see more production from him as the season goes along.
- Michael sees daylight well and finds his way through small creases nicely. This guy needs to play more even if it's just to gauge whether or not he is the next in line at RB or not.
- Nice to see Baldwin back as part of the offense. Dude balled today, big time. A lot more intermediate throws as a result of Harvin being gone. Doug benefits a great deal from that.
- Russell Okung finally had a decent (not great) game, no false starts that I remember and no holding penalties though Quinn did beat him a couple of times. Here's hoping his shoulder is healing.
- Will MRob be brought back to replace Coleman now that we know Derrick broke his foot?

- Pete and his staff were badly outcoached in this game. That's not surprising in St. Louis. Fisher has owned Pete there for 2 of the last 3 years. Two years ago, the fake FG cost the Hawks the game and this year TWO screw ups in the punt game cost the team a "W".

- I agree with kearly that it's unlikely the team makes the playoffs. 8-2 in the last 10 games seems a stretch and even 7-3 with a 10-6 if that would get us in seems like it won't happen either.

pehawk

Reaction score
Irony this week; jet sweeps and bubble screens are actually a good plan vs the Rams. PRich would've done well on a jet sweep.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
drdiags":dek64un5 said:
Got to try to stop attacking the poster. Being mad at the team is no reason to be an ass against a fellow fan just because he or she decide to try and have an analytical look at the game. Doesn't mean their insight is 100% correct, that is what a discussion board is for. The board shouldn't be for hurling insults because you feel your view is the only view.

Because we care and the Doc made a valid point, we do care and since you don't take the warning as that you should care also.

gargantual

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":37803xur said:
drdiags":37803xur said:
Got to try to stop attacking the poster. Being mad at the team is no reason to be an ass against a fellow fan just because he or she decide to try and have an analytical look at the game. Doesn't mean their insight is 100% correct, that is what a discussion board is for. The board shouldn't be for hurling insults because you feel your view is the only view.

Deleted post, not per Forum Policy
Well I agree with the Doc. Everyone quit taking your frustrations out on your fellow dot-netters already, I'm tired of hearing it.

It's hard for everyone to see us fall so far so quickly, but this kind of poison directed at each other is just total BS.

And try having a little faith. We're a walking triage unit right now. If we get most of our starters back and still stink up the joint, then we can start pulling our hair out for legitimate reasons. I understand hyperbole, but I still can't believe I heard people say we about in Rebuild Mode.

Give me a frigging break!

hawk45

Reaction score
gargantual":1rq74zx0 said:
It's hard for everyone to see us fall so far so quickly, but this kind of poison directed at each other is just total BS.

And try having a little faith. We're a walking triage unit right now. If we get most of our starters back and still stink up the joint, then we can start pulling our hair out for legitimate reasons. I understand hyperbole, but I still can't believe I heard people say we about in Rebuild Mode.

Give me a frigging break!

Wait, so part 1 of post preach togetherness, part 2 get your own shot in at other .netters whose level of concern differs from yours?

Thy healing hands be upon us.

drdiags

Reaction score
We are good. Kearly is good at debating his points so I am going to take a clue from Strap and stay out of folks debates unless I have something to add pro/con. I do have a little of that stay off my lawn line of thinking so will work on that.

Back to the random thoughts about the game:

- Not sure how the Rams could have faked out the team if they know the punter is kicking left. The funny thing is that some mentioned that the punter ran to the right as well. Hope not.

- What is up with the delay of game down in the Redzone. Wilson seems to have issues with the clock since he has been here (not often, but more than I would think he should)

- The KO return was on 54, he had the returner dead to rights on the 10. Uggh!

edogg23

Reaction score
I'm sick of hearing injury as an excuse. This is the NFL everyone is injured. The Rams beat us without their franchise qb due to injury.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Scottemojo":t7sk3w4j said:
Shead indicated they'd seen the Rams do that on film and said it was an execution problem, but he was a vague on what that meant exactly. Seems both are trying to keep from throwing anyone under the bus.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
edogg23":2kxl9zg6 said:
I'm sick of hearing injury as an excuse. This is the NFL everyone is injured. The Rams beat us without their franchise qb due to injury.

Their 3rd stringer is better than the guy they pay $20million a year to

But still..,(I hear ya)

sc85sis

Reaction score
Injuries may not be an excuse overall, but they do play a part when you have as many as we do.

Out:
Unger
Coleman
Miller
Willson
Wagner
Lane
Maxwell
Marsh
Hill

Playing hurt:
Okung
Chancellor

Those are a lot of key players.

Tical21

Reaction score
Whew. I think we build off this one, I really do. I don't find it easy to take, I find it really hard to take. We were down HUGE early. Completely unacceptable. I think this is the one that gets our swagger back. I don't know that the division is going to take 11 wins at this point. I still think you've got a pretty good shot if you get to 10, which I think we can still do. 3-3 isn't a death blow, but it is definitely a cause for urgency.

The second half today was the best Russell has ever looked, and I don't think it is even close. The kid threw the ball!! He actually threw it! And it worked!! He missed a bunch of guys in the first half. He just could not make progressions at all. In the second half he didn't get too deep on a lot of progressions, but he seemed to know what he was looking at and was decisive with the ball, which is a huge change from just holding onto it.

Who goes for a fake punt while ahead from their own 20 in the 4th quarter? I would bet if you look at the last 25 fake punts that have happened in the NFL, none of them would match those three criteria. I wouldn't have been ready for it either. In retrospect, it makes perfect sense, since St. Louis has absolutely nothing to lose by blowing that play, especially after watching last week. I can't buy into the fact that Pete should have known this was coming. That was absolute craziness. There is bold and there is crazy. That was nuts.

In my experience, punt left or punt right is called in the huddle. How did the Steadman Bailey play happen?

I LOVED all the combinations we got to see. Reshaun Allen played. Helfet played really well, at least in the passing game. Couldn't block Quinn too well, but meh. We saw Turbin at FB, Michael played, the rookie WR's were on the field together as early as the first quarter. Bailey played TE.

I agree the DPI on Simon was an awful call to extend that drive.

You're going to lose a fluke filled special teams game every once in a while. Just terrible timing for this one.

Something is wrong with Kam. He doesn't fill holes and blow up linemen anymore. He just gets washed out.

Avril is not good against the run. I still contend signing Bennett was a decision we were going to regret. I'd probably rather have Red and Clem, at least for this year.

Time to win a few ugly and get this thing rolling.

gargantual

Reaction score
That was my point (which admittedly could've been stated waaay more diplomatically). I wonder where we rank among teams with starters out (who has the most). A quick Google search only came up with injury rates for LAST year. I wonder if there's stats out there this early in the season.