Rank potential staff losses

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Maulbert":72cl9j86 said:
Quinn has been credited with converting Red Bryant from a lackluster DT to a run-stuffing DE during his stint as DL coach, and then converting Bruce Irvin from a DE to a LB. Both were successful.
I'm not underselling Quinn and I don't want to lose him. I'm not sure the point of this statement?

Maulbert

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":10obh6q1 said:
Maulbert":10obh6q1 said:
Hey, Hawkfan77, I know he doesn't draft anyone. But all those guys I mentioned? PC and JS have stated on more than one occasion they were guys Cable ASKED for. They get him what he wants. When they don't come through, that's on HIM. Don't be so smug. :141847_bnono:
Why? Because of some interview? Of course he's going to say he wanted the players, what do you expect him to say? And he's done a good job with very little resources. Are the Hawks not #1 in rushing offense? If he was so terrible, why would Pete and John keep him on board? And why would Pete name Cable assistant HC?

My turn. :34853_doh: HE'S THE LINE COACH! BEVELL IS THE OC!

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Maulbert":37atrwkf said:
Hawkfan77":37atrwkf said:
Maulbert":37atrwkf said:
Hey, Hawkfan77, I know he doesn't draft anyone. But all those guys I mentioned? PC and JS have stated on more than one occasion they were guys Cable ASKED for. They get him what he wants. When they don't come through, that's on HIM. Don't be so smug. :141847_bnono:
Why? Because of some interview? Of course he's going to say he wanted the players, what do you expect him to say? And he's done a good job with very little resources. Are the Hawks not #1 in rushing offense? If he was so terrible, why would Pete and John keep him on board? And why would Pete name Cable assistant HC?

My turn. :34853_doh: HE'S THE LINE COACH! BEVELL IS THE OC!
You should do some more research...not sure why you used the " :34853_doh: " when nothing I said was incorrect

Maulbert

Reaction score
http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/false-start?year=2014&view=players

Hows this for research? We led the NFL in false start penalties this season with 29. 25 of those were on the offensive line, with Okung having 6. Walter Jones was called 9 times in 12 years. This is something a great coach could fix, and yet it just kept killing drives all season. At the end of the day, where there's smoke, there's fire.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Maulbert":2tgmz7p7 said:

Hows this for research? We led the NFL in false start penalties this season with 29. 25 of those were on the offensive line, with Okung having 6. Walter Jones was called 9 times in 12 years. This is something a great coach could fix, and yet it just kept killing drives all season. At the end of the day, where there's smoke, there's fire.
Let me guess...you looked it up and realized I was right and that Cable is the assistant HC and thats why you're choosing to ignore your former post

Maulbert

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3k873c58 said:
Maulbert":3k873c58 said:

Let me guess...you looked it up and realized I was right and that Cable is the assistant HC and thats why you're choosing to ignore your former post

Oh. my. god. It's like arguing with a brick wall. Ignore what Pete says. Ignore what Schneider says. Ignore what Cable says. Ignore statistics. Just pay attention to a job title that means NEXT TO NOTHING. I knew he was assistant HC, but that was a token given to him to bring him up here after the Raiders fired him. I am done. You are not worth arguing with.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Maulbert":1eyrsfns said:
Hawkfan77":1eyrsfns said:
Maulbert":1eyrsfns said:

Oh. my. god. It's like arguing with a brick wall. Ignore what Pete says. Ignore what Schneider says. Ignore what Cable says. Ignore statistics. Just pay attention to a job title that means NEXT TO NOTHING. I knew he was assistant HC, but that was a token given to him to bring him up here after the Raiders fired him. I am done. You are not worth arguing with.
I was never arguing with you, there was never any point. It's clear you don't understand Cable's real role with the team...just keep living under that rock

jkitsune

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":tm0d377s said:
jkitsune":tm0d377s said:
1. Quinn
2-3. Bevell/Cable
4. Kirchner.

If Cable is 'coaching them up' and this is their talent level, and he drafted most of our OL, that's a problem in itself. Cable has done a great job with our run game, but our lack of a consistent passing attack, despite a highly skilled QB, is a consistent weakness of our team. The Hawks are great. Arguably among the best ever in several respects. They could be even better. Their passing game could be more consistent. Their pass protection could be better. IMO, these weakness fall, in some combination, on Bevell, Cable, and their players.

While I don't think it's a slam dunk we get someone better than Bevell or Cable, I think it's more likely that we are able to replace them than Quinn, even with PC on board.

If we still have JS, I don't mind losing Kirchner, but I admit I hadn't ever heard of him before now.
Cable doesn't draft anyone

I'm not going to get into the arguing that followed this initial comment, but it is widely known that Tom Cable has a lot of influence on which linemen get drafted. Players like Carpenter, Moffitt, and Sweezy have been specifically noted as guys Tom Cable coveted. The OL has strengths. If it were even average in pass protection, replacing Tom Cable wouldn't be a conversation worth having. Unfortunately, it's not close, and while I can't prove to anyone that this is true, we've all seen QBs have their development hampered by lacking trust in their OL (or, more concretely, by being injured by their OL).

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3m6w02ht said:
Sports Hernia":3m6w02ht said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3m6w02ht said:
Tom Cable was brought in to help create the best running game in the NFL.

Mission accomplished.

I suspect if/when Cable and Bevell are gone, people will realize the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
I doubt it when it comes to DB. The same folks said the same thing when Bradley left and Quinn was/is quite an upgrade.
Is Quinn "quite the upgrade" though? I mean, the Hawks finished #1 in scoring defense Bradley's last year and that was without any kind of pass rush whatsoever.

I think assistant coaches become easy scapegoats when things don't go perfectly. This is Pete's team. His defense and we do exactly what he wants on offense.
One has a Super Bowl ring the other doesn't. One's defense dominated in a Super Bowl, the other's defensive scheme got beat in Atlanta.

I think if Bradley doesn't resort to the softzone/prevent in Atlanta on the last drive in the playoffs, we might have been hoisting our second Lombardi last year. Nobody expects things to go "perfectly", no one ever said or expects that. I think most can see that Pete gives his coordinators a lot of rope and a lot of say in the playcalling on both sides of the ball.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Sports Hernia":fec17rgb said:
Out of the coaches, I think losing Bevell would be a huge positive. Addition by subtraction, I'm sure the guy is a wonderful human being but the guy is a horrible play caller, end of story.

You know, every game I want to say the same thing. I can see his calls and think "my God he's throwing this one away! I'd have called X play instead because it would have worked." But it's really easy to armchair quarterback and second guess things. And remember, we did the same thing with Holmgren. And the same thing before that. I think as die-hard fans of the team, much of what we see is simply viewed through the eyes of someone who knows the team so well many things that are not so obvious elsewhere look stunningly obvious to us.

That's not to say I'd be terribly perturbed if he was replaced; it's just to say we might just find out that the grass was indeed not greener on the other side of the fence, as was alluded to elsewhere in this thread.

Threedee

Reaction score
I hope we can retain Quinn and Bevell, but should we lose them, I'm one of those guys who dreams of us acquiring Ryan and Trestman as their replacements.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
As a reference for Tom Cable, I 400 do solemnly swear....I'd be comfortable without him...for good.

Dern it Cable, why couldn't you ever teach to pass block?

Smellyman

Reaction score
Pete made Nick Holt look like a genius!

The D is all Pete. He will hire another guy in his mold and he will make another guy like a genus just like he did for Holt, Bradley and Quinn.

I don't think any would be a big loss. Pete and JS will hire someone better or equal.

imo

seahawks187

Reaction score
How about which coach do you think (if any) would have the most success as a HC ??

seabowl

Reaction score
I just don't see a team giving Cable a shot after what he reportedly did in Oakland. Also there is no way I'd allow any staff member to go to a division rival.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
The seahawks instantly become a better team if Bevell and Cable leave, so it's hard for me to call them losses.

addition by subtraction

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
My question would be does Cable become OC if Bevell leaves and how would that look?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":ui2z43ld said:
My question would be does Cable become OC if Bevell leaves and how would that look?
No chance. Cable is not a play-caller, which is a big reason why he fell all the way from HC to OL coach. He just isn't an offensive coordinator.