Rank the Seahawks coaches from best to worst...

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Holmgren had a fantastic left side of an offensive line and Alexander was awesome. I love Hass, but its not like he was some HOF QB or even as good as Wilson. Want to talk about some crummy receivers. It was so frustrating back then seeing Hass pitch one right into the hands of a receiver only to be dropped. The defense was never anything to right home about.

The thing I liked about Holmgren the most was that I never worried he would be outcoached. I cant say the same with Carroll and his lackeys. The GM chores was to much for him though. He should have never shouldered that responsibility along with coaching.[/quote]
---------------

His taking on the GM duties did seems to directly correlate to a less effective performance by the team on the field.

Comment on never having to worry about him being outcoached - YUP.

Pete's crew does seem to come up with some very odd calls now and again, and time management has always been a struggle.

Hmmmm...got me thinking I should bump Pete down to #2!

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
nash72":2f39mcyu said:
Holmgren - Did more with less
Carroll - Brought us the hardware, but lucky the defense and Wilson panned out.
Knox - Made us respectable
Erickson - Never had a decent QB when he was here
Patera - First coach.
Flores - He didn't even want to be here so I cant fault him for the piss poor team he had
Mora - imbecile

Mora did seem a special kind of dumb.

If memory serves, he was one of the highest paid coaches in the league for that single Hawk season, so maybe it was the front office at the time who was the real intelligence-deficit culprits.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
nash72":2rpuz4cb said:
Patera - First coach.
Flores - He didn't even want to be here so I cant fault him for the piss poor team he had
Mora - imbecile
Carroll built the defense--the LOB is his brainchilde--he coached those guys up into his chylde of brain.

razor150

Reaction score
Seafan":ri3cmmn3 said:
razor150":ri3cmmn3 said:
Seafan":ri3cmmn3 said:
Erickson - Got a raw deal by having a crappy GM, owner and little talent

What? That team was loaded with talent. I suggest you go look at the roster he had. The only problem was QB, kind of, he had Warren Moon who did play well for us and helped as have a top 5 offense. We also had a really good ball hawking defense. How Erickson managed to constantly go 8-8 with that roster is truly astounding, he deserved to be fired 10 times over. Carroll would have steamrolled the AFC with that team, and Holmgren should have tried to hold it together a little better than tearing it apart like he did.

Very few active pro bowlers. High draft picks who never lived up to their over rated status. Constantly drafted high with few results. Joey Galloway was a talent but face it the dude hated to go over the middle. Moon was on his way out of the league. Mirer sucked big time. They over paid for free agents who never delivered. GM let McCrary and Mawae walk when all they wanted was market value and there was no cap. Behring and his son and Mueller sucked. Erickson wasn't a great coach but he was better than Flores, Mora and Patera.

Every team lets good players go. Erickson still had Shawn Springs, Michael Sinclair, Tez, Sam Adams, and Joey Galloway who despite not going over the middle was still a major weapon. We had a top 10 offense and defense, Pro Bowls are often determined by success, and Erickson found ways to lose through undisciplined play, and head scratching incompetence.

Patera suffered more from lack of talent on his team than Dennis Erickson ever did. He had Jim Zorn who was never a star, Steve Largent, Dave Brown, and maybe a couple of others I can't remember with my fuzzy memory. That isn't an argument for him being better, just that the talent argument works better for him. It also works better for Flores (his QBs were Stan Gelbaugh, Dan McGuire, and Kelly Stouffer) and Jim Mora as well.

It is obvious who the top 3 coaches are, they were the ones who won. The rest are just open to interpretation since they all were losers.

nash72

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3orp4imo said:
I'd also put Holmgren at 3. I never was a big fan of him. Let's not forget that he helped run this team into the ground, aka the 2008 season.

It was a tough season, but he was coaching a team combined of scraps at the time. Hutch was long gone with Gray retiring and Alexander was shipped to Washington due to being old and hobbled. Hard to win with a shotty line and Julius Jones as your starter. The defense was also weak with Tatupu never finding his 2005 self in the middle and the rest going through the motions. It was inevitable that that team was going to suck. I do agree though that Holmgren hung on a tad too long. Probably should have bowed out after the 2006 season.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Carroll, Holmgren, Knox would be my rankings.

All have strengths to argue but Carroll's biggest may be in how hard guys play for each other, and including for him.

nash72

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":231gko8l said:
nash72":231gko8l said:
Patera - First coach.
Mora - imbecile
Carroll built the defense--the LOB is his brainchilde--he coached those guys up into his chylde of brain.

Absolutely, but a lot of those guys like Sherman, Chancellor, Wright panned out and werent high draft picks. It could have easily gone the other way. Same with Wilson. That guy played out of his mind from the very beginning. I give Pete credit (along with JS) for seeing and recognizing the talent, but it wasnt guaranteed to happen as we all know. Even Lynch gave us much more than we ever expected. It worked out and i'm grateful.

Latest posts