Rashaad Penny: 2018 Results and 2019 Projections

AgentDib

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":kb59tx5q said:
So, it was a poor choice not only because he underperformed but because it wasn’t a position we needed when we had other glaring holes, A healthy Carson and Davis were not going to be sat for Penny.
Penny took snaps from Davis. Did you actually predict Carson's full season of health on here last year or is that a "I just knew it in my head, trust me" sort of thing?

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
4.93 YPC is very good , I guess you could make the argument that Penny was more of a feast or famine type back but having a guy who can break off a run for 30 plus yards at any time has value. He was hurt to start the year and he simply didn't play much so Penny's value ability and ceiling are far from settled.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Important to remember that Shaun Alexander didn't start his rookie year either. Looking at his rookie year stat line, he surely would have looked like a bust too.

Now, I say that, but I'm also not convinced spending a first round pick on a RB is a good idea. You can get comparable talent later on at that position. But what's done is done and now the team is a solid two deep at a position that it doesn't to be two deep at.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well using his logic we didn't need Russell Wilson either since we had just acquired Flynn and had Tjack and Wilson started out third on the depth Chart.

Largent80

Reaction score
The guy didn't even get a full training camp OR any preseason game work with his injury and surgery.

As a rookie that's pretty big, yet he could obviously be seen gaining confidence.

This guy is going to make the O.P. a laugher.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":101itvu5 said:
The guy didn't even get a full training camp OR any preseason game work with his injury and surgery.

As a rookie that's pretty big, yet he could obviously be seen gaining confidence.

This guy is going to make the O.P. a laugher.
Go Penny! :2thumbs:

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3353r49u said:
So, it was a poor choice not only because he underperformed but because it wasn’t a position we needed when we had other glaring holes, A healthy Carson and Davis were not going to be sat for Penny.

Agreed.

I’m not sure you were actually paying attention during the 2017 season and the team needs heading into last years draft. 2017 was Carsons rookie year. He was a 7th round draft pick. He flashed some talent but was injured in the 4th game of the year. His injury status and his limited games played put a huge question mark on his ability to not only be a starter but even a contributor for 2018 and beyond. Davis was a guy who had bounced around the league along with McKissic, who btw had the only rushing TD by a RB in2017. Procise? Whatever.

With Pete’s desire to create and sustain a dominant running attack for his offense, having a RB who could handle the load, meant that they needed to acquire another back ASAP. Penny had the pedigree from his college play. RB was the most needed position going into the 2018 draft. Every single back on the roster going into that draft was a question mark. Penny was the most prudent pick they could have made based on the number of question marks facing the RB position.

Pete and John identified a weakness (perceived or real) and did what they needed to correct it. The fact that Carson came back from injury and dominated the way he did is only icing on the cake. Please stop with the rhetoric that it was a position that we didn’t need to strengthen. That logic is far from sound.

sc85sis

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1v6kto2w said:
Comparing the time to develop of a running back to quarterbacks is simply a false argument. Comparing Penny to running backs that he was drafted in front of shows him as having a mediocre to poor draft choice so far. Not a bust yet but certainly a poor choice. If he would have performed more like a Chubb or Michel he probably would have had more chance to run and then more yards.

Also, pulling out some stats from some hall of fame and saying “see, this guy had a poor rookie year and went on to success” completely ignores the vast majority of players who had a poor rookie year and got cut. Exceptions happen but as a rule poor play results in unemployment. But of course this is part of the Seahawks front offic problems. They play the longer shots on their picks and point to the couple that payoff and ignore the majority that don’t.

Rookie first rounder should contribute their rookie years far more than Penny did (unless some qbs in waiting) I hope he proves me wrong but when he was picked I though it was one of the stupider picks the Seahawks made. Nothing has changed my mind yet.

Oh, and the Trust in JS and PC went out the window a few years back. If you trust in them then why be on a discussion board? If every time someone wants to point out the flaws they get shut down then what is there to discuss? The only team that can legitimately use that argument is the Patriots.

But Penny didn’t play for those other teams and those other RBs didn’t play for Seattle. It’s still not an apples-to-apples comparison situationally.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":ktaxysb7 said:
So, it was a poor choice not only because he underperformed but because it wasn’t a position we needed when we had other glaring holes

Wasn't a position we needed? Carson's injury history goes all the way back to high school. It was a big part of why he was available in the 7th round and I don't disagree that further picks were needed.

Whether that needed to be a first-rounder is debatable, but remember, this is a front office that values the RB position higher than most of the league.

sutz

Reaction score
This is so silly. Penny was dinged up and missed much of training camp. Maybe not a big deal for a multi-year vet, but the kiss of death for a rookie. He got a slow start. As the season progressed, he got better. That's about all you can expect for a non top-10 draft pick.

:229031_shrug:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
This is really just one person pushing an agenda, and I am well pleased that nobody else has bought into that agenda. I rip on this place plenty for knee-jerk reactions and negativity, so it's only fair I acknowledge when the collective community shows some football IQ.

Largent80

Reaction score
That pick is pure gold right now. We have 2 friggin stud RB's with different styles and a great line to block for them. Couple that with Homer and we're pretty sweet at rb for the moment.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
brimsalabim":177x22ma said:
onanygivensunday":177x22ma said:
Penny can thrive on the edges if Schotty finds ways to get him the ball in space.
Throw it?
Sure, as well as pitch it back to him as part of the RO package.

If you were to compile Penny's best runs from last year, I believe that a high % of them are when he gets the ball outside of the tackle box.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
It should be noted that Penny was not only the #1 rusher in FBS his senior year at SDSU, his entire college career he never missed -- a game or a practice -- due to injury. Most of the other RB's in that draft class did not have that type of "availability" going for them. Additionally, upon going into the Seahawks preseason, Penny had a significant hand injury
that set him back in his development. Then, once healthy, Penny was used in spot duty and Carson was on a roll so he was obviously the set starter and rightfully so.

IMO- The OC didn't seem to use Penny properly, way too many of his carries were "up the gut" rather than using Penny to his strength in open space. Get Penny outside a few more times a game and watch his yardage increase significantly. ANY RB is at risk of injury on nearly every play & Carson has had a very poor history of injury ever since he started playing football. Last season may have been an exception to his injury history, so having Penny available is a huge need that PC/JS needed to have for their run first system.
:smilingalien:

ivotuk

Reaction score
In 2017, Russell Wilson was over 80% of our offense. And he was getting beat up. HOW, could anyone possibly claim that we did not have a glaring need for a running back?

"But even by his standards, Wilson’s 2017 has been remarkable. The quarterback has accounted for 32 of Seattle’s 33 offensive touchdowns this year either passing or rushing.

He’s the team’s leading rusher by a wide margin, racking up 482 yards on the ground.
And he’s set a record with 17 touchdown passes in the fourth quarter."

https://www.therams.com/news/opponent-b ... e-19990002

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":2iluapdb said:
IMO- The OC didn't seem to use Penny properly, way too many of his carries were "up the gut" rather than using Penny to his strength in open space. Get Penny outside a few more times a game and watch his yardage increase significantly.

Any RB who can't succeed between the tackles is not deserving of a first-round pick.

Penny was overdrafted. Only question is the degree, and whether the front office deserves excoriation for it. I personally fall into the "no harm, no foul" category there.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":3ms0s1qs said:
In 2017, Russell Wilson was over 80% of our offense. And he was getting beat up. HOW, could anyone possibly claim that we did not have a glaring need for a running back?

"But even by his standards, Wilson’s 2017 has been remarkable. The quarterback has accounted for 32 of Seattle’s 33 offensive touchdowns this year either passing or rushing.

He’s the team’s leading rusher by a wide margin, racking up 482 yards on the ground.
And he’s set a record with 17 touchdown passes in the fourth quarter."

https://www.therams.com/news/opponent-b ... e-19990002
AND..Did we make the playoffs? :pukeface:

Latest posts