Rashaad Penny: 2018 Results and 2019 Projections

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":2vwisvmc said:
It should be noted that Penny was not only the #1 rusher in FBS his senior year at SDSU, his entire college career he never missed -- a game or a practice -- due to injury. Most of the other RB's in that draft class did not have that type of "availability" going for them. Additionally, upon going into the Seahawks preseason, Penny had a significant hand injury
that set him back in his development. Then, once healthy, Penny was used in spot duty and Carson was on a roll so he was obviously the set starter and rightfully so.

IMO- The OC didn't seem to use Penny properly, way too many of his carries were "up the gut" rather than using Penny to his strength in open space. Get Penny outside a few more times a game and watch his yardage increase significantly. ANY RB is at risk of injury on nearly every play & Carson has had a very poor history of injury ever since he started playing football. Last season may have been an exception to his injury history, so having Penny available is a huge need that PC/JS needed to have for their run first system.
:smilingalien:

Totally agree with this. Get a majority of his carries to the outside where he can and does thrive and the inside will start to soften up a bit for him. Use a player to his strengths and his weaknesses will seem a whole lot less.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2szg0a94 said:
ivotuk":2szg0a94 said:
In 2017, Russell Wilson was over 80% of our offense. And he was getting beat up. HOW, could anyone possibly claim that we did not have a glaring need for a running back?

"But even by his standards, Wilson’s 2017 has been remarkable. The quarterback has accounted for 32 of Seattle’s 33 offensive touchdowns this year either passing or rushing.

He’s the team’s leading rusher by a wide margin, racking up 482 yards on the ground.
And he’s set a record with 17 touchdown passes in the fourth quarter."

https://www.therams.com/news/opponent-b ... e-19990002
AND..Did we make the playoffs? :pukeface:

He obviously did everything necessary to give a team a chance to win and get into the playoffs, considering he was in the top 5 of the leaderboard for QBs in nearly every meaningful statistic for QB play.

To say that the 2017 team did play well enough to make the playoffs at 9-6 isn't RW's fault, is it, then? The D was not the LOB playing at the top of their game.

toffee

Reaction score
Drafting a starting ready RB in ‘18 should be beyond challenge. Which round and whom to draft is however debatable. If Penny could not develop the ability or willingness to run up the middle, one could say that he might be the wrong choice because he would be somewhat limited as a RB.

So far, I got two problems with Penny:

1. He showed last year over weighted, that was before he hurt his hand; and didn’t really show a leaner Penny til way into the season. According to Pete, Penny show up trim at this week’s OTA so good news there.

2. It seemed like he was easy to tackle, which is very different from Carson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
toffee":2p4b89c2 said:
Drafting a starting ready RB in ‘18 should be beyond challenge. Which round and whom to draft is however debatable. If Penny could not develop the ability or willingness to run up the middle, one could say that he might be the wrong choice because he would be somewhat limited as a RB.

1. He showed last year over weighted, that was before he hurt his hand; and didn’t really show a leaner Penny til way into the season. According to Pete, Penny show up trim at this week’s OTA so good news there.

Penny lead all Seahawk RBs in YPC.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":14wxuc1h said:
IndyHawk":14wxuc1h said:
ivotuk":14wxuc1h said:
In 2017, Russell Wilson was over 80% of our offense. And he was getting beat up. HOW, could anyone possibly claim that we did not have a glaring need for a running back?

"But even by his standards, Wilson’s 2017 has been remarkable. The quarterback has accounted for 32 of Seattle’s 33 offensive touchdowns this year either passing or rushing.

He’s the team’s leading rusher by a wide margin, racking up 482 yards on the ground.
And he’s set a record with 17 touchdown passes in the fourth quarter."

https://www.therams.com/news/opponent-b ... e-19990002
AND..Did we make the playoffs? :pukeface:

He obviously did everything necessary to give a team a chance to win and get into the playoffs, considering he was in the top 5 of the leaderboard for QBs in nearly every meaningful statistic for QB play.

To say that the 2017 team did play well enough to make the playoffs at 9-6 isn't RW's fault, is it, then? The D was not the LOB playing at the top of their game.
He passed more than he ever did and his stats were not that good..
My whole thing anyway is I could care less about his stats or anyone elses
because that season was a bust..

toffee

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1avxtmrc said:
toffee":1avxtmrc said:

Penny lead all Seahawk RBs in YPC.

Some could argue that Penny's ypc was a bit feast or famine, if he couldn't display an inside running game, it would be easier for opposing DCs to game plan how to stop what he is good at. Don't you think so? It's critical for Penny to display an adequate ability to run up the guts and shred a tackle or two along the way, that would keep the defense honest.

JGreen79

Reaction score
HansGruber":3isottmj said:
JayhawkMike":3isottmj said:
Jville":3isottmj said:
vin.couve12":3isottmj said:
Statistical comparison is irrelevant when you have to take the 5th leading rusher in the NFL OFF the field to use Penny. I really don't get the mental hangup on that. Not even the fact that he was a 1st round pick given Carson’s injury last year. It was an absolute priority.

OTOH, Penny should really focus on the passing game this year. If he snatches up Davis' role amd snags 8-10 carries a game as Carson’s pitch hitter then that's great. Carson is a freak of a RB. I don't get the issue.

The issue lies between "JayhawkMike" and the Seahawks Front Office. The label ...... "arrogant front office" is a reoccurring favorite. This thread is simply the most recent iteration of that ongoing theme.

Not going to argue with that. They make some decisions that are questionable. I looked at a bunch of redrafts the other day and one listed Penny as the worst pick in the draft. If you draft a first rounder they should contribute immediately barring a preexisting injury. Seattle got no where close to first round value last year. Better performing backs where taken later.

By that logic, I can think of about a half dozen Hall of Fame players off the top of my head who were wasted draft picks. Troy Aikman, Drew Brees, Chris Carter, Steve Young, Michael Strahan, Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice.. man that's just what popped up as I was reading this.

When it comes to modern running backs, Melvin Gordon comes to mind. His rookie season was worse than Penny's.

If you think a rookie RB in a system with 3 starters and a first-year OC has to put up 1000 yards and a pro bowl appearance or they're a wasted pick, well... I'd just encourage you to kick back and be patient. You can't judge him yet.

And frankly, he looked pretty good by the end of the season. I'm actually excited to see how he does this season.

Aaron Rodgers was a 1st round pick that didn't play for his first three years. What a wasted pick for the Packers..

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I have 2 points to make about Penny.

1. The 1-st round of any recent drafts has typically only had 15 to 18 actual first rounders by talent. Generally from about picks 15/18 through 45/50, the talent level is all pretty equal, that's the actual 2-nd round.

2. Averaging less than 5 carries per game, Penny was not utilized properly, both in # of carries and "type" of carries. The vast majority of his carries were up the middle, which isn't his strongest suit "yet", however, when given the ball on outside runs, he performed exceptionally well. PC just needs to give Penny a more substantial work load, and get him involved with more outside runs in space to see him really shine. Beastmode would have been a bust with only an average of >5 carries per game & he had a few games exactly like that, every time he got stopped for a 1 or 2 yard gain, however, you knew on his next carries he would eventually explode. ----> Penny just needs more carries in order to show his talents.

(NOTE:) When Penny had his most carries for a game last season, 12, he had over 100 yds. rushing.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":2go96fg7 said:
I have 2 points to make about Penny.

1. The 1-st round of any recent drafts has typically only had 15 to 18 actual first rounders by talent. Generally from about picks 15/18 through 45/50, the talent level is all pretty equal, that's the actual 2-nd round.

2. Averaging less than 5 carries per game, Penny was not utilized properly, both in # of carries and "type" of carries. The vast majority of his carries were up the middle, which isn't his strongest suit "yet", however, when given the ball on outside runs, he performed exceptionally well. PC just needs to give Penny a more substantial work load, and get him involved with more outside runs in space to see him really shine. Beastmode would have been a bust with only an average of >5 carries per game & he had a few games exactly like that, every time he got stopped for a 1 or 2 yard gain, however, you knew on his next carries he would eventually explode. ----> Penny just needs more carries in order to show his talents.

(NOTE:) When Penny had his most carries for a game last season, 12, he had over 100 yds. rushing.

How dare you bring facts and knowledge to this debate! :141847_bnono:

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":34yhc4se said:
How dare you bring facts and knowledge to this debate! :141847_bnono:[/quote]

It would seem that it is not about the facts, but rather how one "f-e-e-e-ls" about a player. :stirthepot:

McGruff

Reaction score
Penny averaged 6.4 yards per carry over the final 7 games of the season.

sutz

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3jyx99tt said:
Thepeelsessions":3jyx99tt said:
How dare you bring facts and knowledge to this debate! :141847_bnono:

It would seem that it is not about the facts, but rather how one "f-e-e-e-ls" about a player. :stirthepot:[/quote]
It's also about how people draft differently in their Fantasy League than real GMs do. :twisted:

xray

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":wjzjvqud said:
The previous year, Carson got hurt and we had no one to replace him. The fans jeered. So we got someone to step in if Carson got hurt again. The fans jeered.

At some point we have to realise the fans are idiots.

That's why they drafted Travis Homer...to step in for Carson just in case...Penny is not a 3 down back if needed . It's not his fault ; it's just not what he's good at...he needs some space to work . Unless the Hawks abandon the punishing run game ; Penny will have limited chances...but in fairness ; he could shine at any time I suppose ..GO HAWKS

xray

Reaction score
McGruff":23keho7q said:

That averaged is jacked because of a couple broken plays that he found space to run.

McGruff

Reaction score
xray":3aax5n52 said:
McGruff":3aax5n52 said:

That averaged is jacked because of a couple broken plays that he found space to run.

I remember this with Shaun.

If we throw out all the good plays, Penny is really bad.

xray

Reaction score
McGruff":3g0wzhc0 said:
xray":3g0wzhc0 said:
McGruff":3g0wzhc0 said:

I really wish that Penny could qualify for a #1 RB spot for the Hawks; but unless Carson goes down Penny will have limited action because Homer will be doing the down and dirty runs. just sayin... :stirthepot:

xray

Reaction score
McGruff":288karo1 said:
xray":288karo1 said:
McGruff":288karo1 said:

LOL your # 20 jersey needs ironing

McGruff

Reaction score
Yeah, it would be a huge insult to a seahawks fan to be sporting a Seahawks player jersey.

Shame on me . . .

McGruff

Reaction score
It was the exact same argument with Ricky and Shaun early on. Ricky could get you 3 to 6 yards every time. Shaun could get you -5 and 25.

I'm not saying either guy is those guys, but the argument is the same