Rashaad Penny for Offensive Rookie of the year?

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
mikeak":1gcr74qz said:
I am so glad people are excited that we drafted a RB because of our abysmal running game last year and then the same people are super excited about he RBs ability to catch the football!!!

So when running game stalls, qb is pressured we now have a guy to bail us out (let’s ignore that he is not a good pass blocker)

Sounds like 1st round pick used wisely!!!

Again not saying he won’t work out. Just slightly confused about the logic used to be excited about him

Rashaad Penny is not bad at pass blocking. There was a lot of misinformation about him on the internet. They found him more valuable to be used out in the patterns on 3rd down. And you will too. He is speedy, runs good routes and has soft natural hands like a WR. Plus he gives you huge RAC. Use your Fullback to stay in and block or an extra TE. It would be the best use of Penny to have him out in the patterns making plays. That said he will block for you if need be. This blocking issue is exaggerated. I have seen him block. They just didn't use him a huge amount there. But it doesn't mean he can't do it. IMO it is a misuse of his talents though. If you want a blocker bring in a Fullback or an extra TE. He will do it once in a while. But to use a talent like Rashaad Penny as an every down blocker would just be such a waste and misuse of talent.

I believe coach Carroll will know how to use him. He is a good coach and understands. When they do ask him to block they will teach him his assignments. He will do fine with it.

original poster

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":xgdxsrly said:
mikeak":xgdxsrly said:
I am so glad people are excited that we drafted a RB because of our abysmal running game last year and then the same people are super excited about he RBs ability to catch the football!!!

So when running game stalls, qb is pressured we now have a guy to bail us out (let’s ignore that he is not a good pass blocker)

Again not saying he won’t work out. Just slightly confused about the logic used to be excited about him

Rashaad Penny is not bad at pass blocking. There was a lot of misinformation about him on the internet. They found him more valuable to be used out in the patterns on 3rd down. And you will too. He is speedy, runs good routes and has soft natural hands like a WR. Plus he gives you huge RAC. Use your Fullback to stay in and block or an extra TE. It would be the best use of Penny to have him out in the patterns making plays. That said he will block for you if need be. This blocking issue is exaggerated. I have seen him block. They just didn't use him a huge amount there. But it doesn't mean he can't do it. IMO it is a misuse of his talents though. If you want a blocker bring in a Fullback or an extra TE. He will do it once in a while. But to use a talent like Rashaad Penny as an every down blocker would just be such a waste and misuse of talent.

I believe coach Carroll will know how to use him. He is a good coach and understands. When they do ask him to block they will teach him his assignments. He will do fine with it.

I respectfully disagree.

Blocking absolutely is his weak spot and an area he needs to improve in.

Running backs MUST be able to block in this league. At least if you want an every down back.

I have no doubt that Penny can get up to speed with it during camp, though.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
original poster":owthkera said:
SanDiego49er":owthkera said:
mikeak":owthkera said:

I respectfully disagree.

Running backs MUST be able to block in this league. At least if you want an every down back.

I wouldn't really call it a weak spot for him. He can do it. He just lacks familiarity with it. They did not ask him to do it much at San Diego State. Of course he will need to block sometimes. And yes they will get him up to speed on his blocking assignments working with him. A lot of it is just a mental thing and recognizing his blocking assignments. Because he didn't do it much. But that doesn't mean he can't if you teach him. He can athletically for sure IMO.

I will say again yes I agree with you an NFL RB will block. He will and he will do fine with it when the staff tells him what his assignments are. But for the most part you would want to use him running and out in the patterns catching and on special teams as a return man. Because those are his strengths. It doesn't mean they can't get his blocking up to speed. I believe they will as he gets more familiar with it. Use him a lot that way in training camp and preseason. That way he will adjust to it. He didn't block as bad as is claimed on the internet BTW. He does OK with it. Sometimes it's a mental thing because of lack of familiarity. But that can become better with more repetition.

Own The West

Reaction score
King Dog":3e98bo95 said:
MagnificentSeven":3e98bo95 said:
I still think it's going to be a 1-2 Combo Attack...Penny is the Lightning, and Carson is the Thunder. As long as the Offensive Line is Average, I see us returning to a Top 5 Rushing Team.

Whoa, whoa....WHOA. Let's not get too crazy here.

Crazy is about all we do around here. Oh, and sometimes talk football. ;)

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":vw17s5g9 said:
KiwiHawk":vw17s5g9 said:
Hey, constant unbridled sarcastic negativity (or "realism" if that's your thing) IS valuable - there's a long and storied history of it around here.
A lot of fluffers ;) consider anything that isn't positivity to be negativity. Realism IS a thing, and it's NOT negativity - too many people trying to hide negativity behind the guise of realism is not realism's fault; you leave him the hell alone. :)
No, we just realize that every little thing that is a negative, isn't the end of the world situation that you "realists" try to make it out to be. You come on here and bitch for endless amounts of time, and in as many unrelated threads that you can, about every little move that this team makes. You insult and assault the team, and any fan who disagrees with you. You take over every thread, and mentally drain anyone who wants to have optimism. Someday maybe you will figure out how to discuss the positives and negatives without being insulting jerks.

And yeah, yeah..... I already know the response. Toughen up, blah blah blah. Has nothing to do with that. You know nothing about the thickness of my skin. I'm just tired of seeing the same crap year after year. Hey, let's bring up something that happened five years ago, for the hundred millionth time.

Smellyman

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":24u50yki said:
original poster":24u50yki said:
SanDiego49er":24u50yki said:
mikeak":24u50yki said:

I respectfully disagree.

I wouldn't really call it a weak spot for him. He can do it. He just lacks familiarity with it. They did not ask him to do it much at San Diego State. Of course he will need to block sometimes. And yes they will get him up to speed on his blocking assignments working with him. A lot of it is just a mental thing and recognizing his blocking assignments. Because he didn't do it much. But that doesn't mean he can't if you teach him. He can athletically for sure IMO.

I will say again yes I agree with you an NFL RB will block. He will and he will do fine with it when the staff tells him what his assignments are. But for the most part you would want to use him running and out in the patterns catching and on special teams as a return man. Because those are his strengths. It doesn't mean they can't get his blocking up to speed. I believe they will as he gets more familiar with it. Use him a lot that way in training camp and preseason. That way he will adjust to it. He didn't block as bad as is claimed on the internet BTW. He does OK with it. Sometimes it's a mental thing because of lack of familiarity. But that can become better with more repetition.

There is a lot of film on him being really bad at it. It IS a weak spot.

Doesn't mean he can't get better at it. Some though never take to their blocking roles even if they 'could' do it. See Graham.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Or...we could get a FB and use the RB for the actual things they are good at.

Just a thought.

With Bevel gone, I am going to hope the stupidity of keeping our better offensive players back to 'block' has been replaced by something else.

mikeak

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":e53ixpnx said:
mikeak":e53ixpnx said:

The problem with the whole "he wasn't asked to do it" argument is that it has been heard before in regards to players such as Graham

Or go look at Christine Michael - whenever he played he had decent numbers but neither Seattle nor GB gave him a lot of time on the field - why if he can run the ball? Because he missed assignments and forgot where he was supposed to go.

I absolutely hope that Penny tears it up, becomes an awesome pass blocker and catches the ball for 15 yard chunks out of the backfield. THat is by far the best outcome

But to pick a guy in the first round from a school that faced less competition, had huge holes to run through and always able to have speed by the time he got hit and didn't do any pass blocking is IN MY OPINION a risk. To go from taking that risk to people discussing offensive rookie awards before they have even seen him in pre-season is to me really strange.

Others here complain about the negativity - to have tampered expectations of a rookie that we don't know he will perform is now being negative. To identify the concerns and discussing them is "spewing negativity". We are the same people that said for the last three years that our OC sucked, that our OL coach sucked and that our OL sucked. I guess we should have walked into every season and say that our OL should be up for best unit in the NFL and claim to believe it then be shocked every year.......

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
Atradees":qgf9n5hw said:
i didnt realize Chris carson had so many highlights in like a 300 yard season. Wow. i mean its like what Curt warner or Alexander did in one game. Obviously he is a star 7th rounder.

He ran hard, had a certain elusiveness, showed a knack for catching the ball, looked capable in pass blocking, contributed on special teams, and finished his runs, all behind a bad O-Line. He contributed more in those 300 yards then most 7th rounders do in their first season, assuming they even make the team....he's going to be a piece of the puzzle if Seattle does indeed return to a Top 5 Rushing Offense.

chris98251

Reaction score
Penny stated he needs to work on his blocking, end of story.

That's a factual realist statement by the way. :p

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Smellyman":14154vq6 said:
SanDiego49er":14154vq6 said:
original poster":14154vq6 said:
SanDiego49er":14154vq6 said:

I respectfully disagree.

He can get better at that easily. You can teach blocking to a RB. You can't teach the breakaway speed, soft natural hands as a receiver and his all world return skills. A lot of it is just learning his assignments. Because he didn't do it much he lacks familiarity. But it's not like he can't do it athletically. He can do it athletically. So teach him. And they will teach him. He will be fine with it. The argument is over blown IMO from watching Penny. He blocks fine when the ask him to do it. They used him a lot out in the patterns on 3rd down and would bring their Fullback in to block. They would even put him in the slot or line him up at WR. They would even send him deep and he would make plays like that. You should too. Yes he will be asked to block and he will do fine if you teach him his assignments. Coach Carroll will work with him on that. It's not like athletically he can't do it. He can. He has 220 lbs. and he is strong. He can block if he understands his assignment on a given play.

There is a lot of film on him being really bad at it. It IS a weak spot.

Doesn't mean he can't get better at it. Some though never take to their blocking roles even if they 'could' do it. See Graham.

He can do it fine when he understands his assignment. They used him more as a receiver out of the backfield because he is great at it. They would line him up wide and put him in the slot. I've seen them send him deep and he makes TD's that way. You can teach a RB to block. He has the athleticism to do it. It's more of a mental thing because they didn't ask him to do it much. They wanted the ball in his hands because he is a huge game breaker. You should want the ball in his hands too for that same reason. He will block yes and he will do it well if you drill him on his assignments. Coach Carroll will get him on board. That is the purpose of mini camp, training camp and preseason.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
mikeak":ttbw6zfa said:
SanDiego49er":ttbw6zfa said:
mikeak":ttbw6zfa said:

The problem with the whole "he wasn't asked to do it" argument is that it has been heard before in regards to players such as Graham

Or go look at Christine Michael - whenever he played he had decent numbers but neither Seattle nor GB gave him a lot of time on the field - why if he can run the ball? Because he missed assignments and forgot where he was supposed to go.

I absolutely hope that Penny tears it up, becomes an awesome pass blocker and catches the ball for 15 yard chunks out of the backfield. THat is by far the best outcome

But to pick a guy in the first round from a school that faced less competition, had huge holes to run through and always able to have speed by the time he got hit and didn't do any pass blocking is IN MY OPINION a risk. To go from taking that risk to people discussing offensive rookie awards before they have even seen him in pre-season is to me really strange.

Others here complain about the negativity - to have tampered expectations of a rookie that we don't know he will perform is now being negative. To identify the concerns and discussing them is "spewing negativity". We are the same people that said for the last three years that our OC sucked, that our OL coach sucked and that our OL sucked. I guess we should have walked into every season and say that our OL should be up for best unit in the NFL and claim to believe it then be shocked every year.......

If less competition is your argument then what happened with these?

~ Ran all over Arizona State (Pac 12) - they can't stop him.

~ Ran all over Stanford (Pac 12) - they can't stop him.

~ Had huge explosive plays at the Senior Bowl against the supposed to be best players in the country. They can't stop him.

**** "Competition level" works BOTH ways. Do you seriously think he had the Penn State line to run behind? Not by a long shot. Do you think he had Penn State WR's to draw attention away from him? No way. Did he have star TE's like Penn State to draw attention away from him? No way. Did he have a functional Penn State QB who is accurate throwing him the ball. No way. His QB couldn't hit a bright red barn from 5 yards away. He would have bigger #'s if he had an accurate QB and more threats around him.

Further if it is so easy in that conference how come no other RB put up #'s anywhere near what he did? Because nobody did by a long shot.

Also on his own team I didn't see anybody else doing what he did. I didn't see any other RB's have huge holes. I saw Penny have explosive speed and quickness to get to places and power to run people over when the contact comes. It's Penny in other words.

Athletically speaking and production wise there is not one other back like him in the Draft like him other than Barkley. He's the only one. Nobody else.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
RE: Penney is a bad pass blocker, according to the, always right, "experts", all of which base that on limited, if any, watching of actual game film. This then becomes a further negative to downgrade a player they took lightly and justifies their "rankings".

IIRC: "We focus on what a player can do, not what he can't" was the teams attitude toward draft picks?
When did that change?

When and IF Penney, in his rookie year, returns a couple of kicks for 100-yard TD's and then proceeds to average over 100 rushing yards for the season, yes, he'll be the Offensive Rookie of the Year and all the "Experts" will say they knew it all along. Guaranteed.
:smilingalien:

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":16q6diyn said:
RE: Penney is a bad pass blocker, according to the, always right, "experts", all of which base that on limited, if any, watching of actual game film. This then becomes a further negative to downgrade a player they took lightly and justifies their "rankings".

IIRC: "We focus on what a player can do, not what he can't" was the teams attitude toward draft picks?
When did that change?

When and IF Penney, in his rookie year, returns a couple of kicks for 100-yard TD's and then proceeds to average over 100 rushing yards for the season, yes, he'll be the Offensive Rookie of the Year and all the "Experts" will say they knew it all along. Guaranteed.
:smilingalien:

Yes I agree on a lot of the things you said here. It's a good post. There was so much misinformation about Rashaad Penny on the internet. Any arm chair guy can be a "draft expert" on the internet by building a website and calling themselves that. They don't watch San Diego State. They just watch the big name nationally televised programs. They don't know anything about Rashaad Penny.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3j6y7v5l said:
KiwiHawk":3j6y7v5l said:
Hey, constant unbridled sarcastic negativity (or "realism" if that's your thing) IS valuable - there's a long and storied history of it around here.
A lot of fluffers ;) consider anything that isn't positivity to be negativity. Realism IS a thing, and it's NOT negativity - too many people trying to hide negativity behind the guise of realism is not realism's fault; you leave him the hell alone. :)
Dang, you whiners are laying it on thick.

mikeak

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":6gbogcuu said:
Or people can fan how they want? The doom and gloom stuff is a waste of time. But to each his/her own.

You are right - being skeptical that Penny will be offensive rookie of the year is the definition of doom and gloom........

:sarcasm_off:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
:lol: Nah, being skeptical about everything is kind of the norm. Oh well, we all look it our own way.
And, he's a Seahawk, he could have 1,800+ all purpose yards and somehow they would give it to a different player.

kobebryant

Reaction score
If healthy I think Carson is going to be really really hard to keep off the field. And I don't mean that as a negative towards Penny, I'm just really high on Carson. The workload may be too split for either guy to receive any sort of award recognition, but ultimately I think it will prove great for the team.

mikeak

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":25pgpv8y said:
:lol: Nah, being skeptical about everything is kind of the norm. Oh well, we all look it our own way.
And, he's a Seahawk, he could have 1,800+ all purpose yards and somehow they would give it to a different player.

We do look at it our own way -- I am very optimistic about O-line being way better simply because of competent coaching

I am optimistic about a change being good / great for RW

I think our new punter is going to make a huge difference

I am skeptical that new coaches will mean a significant philosophical change for PC. I think we will still run, run, pass a lot and not keep our opponents on their toes enough. I hope the new coaching staff will be strong "against" PC and be more aggressive. Especially if we have a punter that can kick it 80 yards with a 10 minute hang time :)

I am optimistic that Carson and Penny will be able to combine for a potent running attack. I would be happily surprised if Penny is the offensive rookie of the year, especially with four QBs in the first round - but there is nothing better than being happily surprised by a Seahawks player.

I think we are thin all around. I think injuries is our biggest hurdle to a wild-card spot

I expect a division win in 2019

So if that perspective and some tampered expectations for this season is doom and gloom then I simply find it interesting. Every single rookie drafted this year had a highlight tape. They ALL look awesome. Sure great that we also have been joined by fans of Penny (I joined this site the week after RW was drafted even though I was a Seahawk fan before) but they are not partial in looking at his skill and separately they may know a lot about him but frequently don't have the right reference points.

Every year 1st round picks fail, every year some of them are huge surprises, every year an undrafted rookie becomes a known player by all NFL fans - every single year. So lets go through training camp and pre-season before we actually make informed opinions about what we may have on our team