Rashaad Penny for Offensive Rookie of the year?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1brdnjkn said:
:lol: Nah, being skeptical about everything is kind of the norm. Oh well, we all look it our own way.
And, he's a Seahawk, he could have 1,800+ all purpose yards and somehow they would give it to a different player.

So we're still on the everyone hates us nonsense?

I'm all for hypothetical questions, but it's hard for me to get excited about this question when we don't even know how many carriers he'll even get when the season starts.

If he has a great camp and pre-season, he very well could be on his way to being the starter. But even that means that Solari works some magic with this terrible line AND Penny kicks ass in the run game.

Two big asks, let alone having the type of season to win ROTY.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, I don't care if he gets it or not. Pete has never won Coach of the year, John has never won exec of the year. Just goes with being in Seattle. Adds to the chip regardless.
The team gets plenty of respect, but is ignored quite often when it comes to any type of awards.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The objective with Penny is to get better at something we are terrible at.

Whatever risk there might have been to selection was offset by the risk of hoping Carson could be the guy.

Carson demonstrated potential. But he did not produce a run game for us. Most of that was him being injured.

But we bet on hoping an injured RB would come back and be fine for us before. That was the mistake we made with Rawls.

So given the horrendous run game we had, we had no choice but to reduce the risk that we had with no run game. Drafting one OL would not have fixed it and likely drafting 4 would not...given the track record we have on OL being effective draft picks.

We needed both another RB in the event Carson could not produce for us (for whatever reason) and OL. It would have been nice to get Hernandez but he was a risk too.

What Penny gave us was a returner, a RB and a receiving threat. He might be iffy on pass blocking but considering the risks we were trying reduce - I think we did that.

I don't know that he has a shot for offensive rookie of the year. That would be a hell of a fix for the OL to suddenly make that happen. But he makes us better at an area we were struggling with.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
kobebryant":2r6jls7s said:
If healthy I think Carson is going to be really really hard to keep off the field. And I don't mean that as a negative towards Penny, I'm just really high on Carson. The workload may be too split for either guy to receive any sort of award recognition, but ultimately I think it will prove great for the team.
Great points. I would not be at all surprised if Carson wins the starting job and Penny gets spot duty. I also wouldn't be surprised if it went the opposite way, or the two split carries equally. I wouldn't even be surprised if Prosise suddenly bucks the injury bug and becomes the dynamic third down back Pete originally envisioned. For all we know, Prosise may shock us all by having an injury free season and beating both Penny and Carson out. Regardless, talk of rookie of the year seems somewhat premature.

chris98251

Reaction score
Given the amount of running backs and QB's taken this draft there is a lot of competition, first the negatives, our line is shit or was, other teams have better lines that took RB's I mean really everyone we sucked to about the worst as far as a run game. Second many teams took a QB that pass a lot and enables them to stand out with numbers if not wins. There is also this problem of being in what the media considers the armpit of the NFL, our players have to stand head and shoulders higher then other players to get the recognition they deserve and would get easily in other markets.

Now the positives, we are a running team, Pete is committed to running the ball and everything he has done this off season has indicated we run or bust, we have a new O line coach that has had success where ever he has went developing O Lineman and in different offenses, Schotty has also been able to use the RB's in both passing and running games which will garner more stats and will give him more recognition . If we use him as a returner he could have a Terry Metcalf type attention on him and the flash big plays will get him a lot of highlight reels, additionally the change in return rules may open the door for more big plays on kickoffs depending how fast we and other teams adapt. We have a roster of Lockett, Penny, Carson, Prosise, Mckissic, Grayson that can all return, a guy that can accelerate and get to the edge and find a seam can possibly get around the bunch, we won't be using the typical wedge anymore if I understand it now.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Right now the Seahawks need a running back who can run the ball. Blocking is secondary. Shaun Alexander couldn’t block but still had over 1800 yards and 20+ tds in a season. Penny doesn’t even need to that to have good impact. Even if he ran for half those totals, it would be an upgrade over the past couple of seasons. Furthermore, no one complains about Todd Gurley, Lesean McCoy, L. Bell, and Zeke Elliott’s lack of blocking. Did Eric Dickerson block? how about Barry Sanders, or Tiki Barber, Marshall Faulk? None of those guys were particularly great blockers. They didn’t need to be.
It’s another lazy reason for those to nitpick a player because they didn’t agree with where he was chosen.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Sun Tzu":379uverm said:
I wouldn't even be surprised if Prosise suddenly bucks the injury bug and becomes the dynamic third down back Pete originally envisioned. For all we know, Prosise may shock us all by having an injury free season and beating both Penny and Carson out. Regardless, talk of rookie of the year seems somewhat premature.

Prosise did a double take when his name was mentioned. Pulled a groin on the double take. Out for four weeks.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Absolutely LOVE this pick, and I think he will be in the running for Offensive Rookie of the Year.
\
Joel Klatt is one of draft analysts that does a good job, and he puts Penny as the 2nd best running back this year, behind Saquon.

Now, if we just put him in, and LEAVE him in. Instead of last year's bullshit of 1 or 2 plays, "Oh, he didn't break a big one," put RB #2 in and give him 1 or 2 runs, "well shit, he didn't bust one either, put in RB #3, give him 1 shot, then go immediately to RB #4! Because that's how running backs in the NFL work....OMG that still pisses me off to think about. SO glad Cable is gone.

I think Shotty is going to give Rashaad every opportunity to succeed, by actually having a game plan, with the added point of "get Penny 30 rushing attempts." We used to hear that all the time. "We need to get Marshawn at least 25 rushing attempts a game because he really gets going in the 4th quarter."

Plus, with Solari here teaching the guys to play their position, instead of teaching them to play all of the positions, this line should be much more efficient at run blocking. I think having Duane Brown, Fluker, Britt, Ifedi, and Pocic in there, that the running backs will have some holes to run through.

Here's a great breakdown of Rashaad's abilities.

[youtube]yvGUlpyDHxI[/youtube]

PFF (Pro Football Focus)

[youtube]eM4xLIZybeM[/youtube]

NFL Draft Geek Film Breakdown - Rashaad Penny

[youtube]UCxUzqTE06M[/youtube]

pmedic920

Reaction score
If you saw/watched the “driving with Gee” clip, He mentioned something close to 25 as the amount of carries that “you like to get”.

My only concern other than injury is, that we don’t feed this kid enough.
After reading a bit more, I think this kid needs to be given the chance to be “our guy”, and that translates to feeding him the ball.
He will need the opportunity to get into “his” rhythm.

The last thing I want to see is, him sitting on the bench wishing he was on the field. IMHO, that will ruin him for us.