RB Eddie Lacy visits (UPDATE: Signed 1 year deal w/ Hawks)

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I like this move and may grow to love it.In Lacy the defense will have to respect the fact it's not going to be an easy tackle.This should make passing easier with a safety in the box.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
With the signing of Lacy and the possibility of getting Charles, it seems to me the FO does not want to be in the same situation, at RB, as the last two seasons. This is encouraging and added competition should help. Let em duke it out and see comes out on top. (Insert fat joke here)

step-brothers-bunk-beds-o.gif

chris98251

Reaction score
Well if you think Lynch was at 215 which was his listed weight then we should be in the Jenny Craig business, I would bet Lynch was around 230 to 235 playing with us, Lacy if in good shape and cardio I bet could play between 240 and 250 easily, as stated though he needs to use that size to inflict damage not absorb damage, if he can run angry nobody will want to get in his way for a solo tackle, if we are smart and keep him north and south and not get cute with sweeps and things he can be a game controller with the right attitude.

chris98251

Reaction score
This would be the year to go to a traditional blocking scheme if I am Pete, protect Wilson, drive block with Lacy who is not the slicer and darter Lynch, Rawls are or the slasher that Procise is. Goes to the strength of the players and their size. Mess with teams preparation with our change, actually we can mix and match it and really screw them up.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
chris98251":31hdcrq9 said:
This would be the year to go to a traditional blocking scheme if I am Pete, protect Wilson, drive block with Lacy who is not the slicer and darter Lynch, Rawls are or the slasher that Procise is. Goes to the strength of the players and their size. Mess with teams preparation with our change, actually we can mix and match it and really screw them up.

Spot on. Was thinking the exact same thing. Would be nice to lose predictability on our offense just in general.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Meanwhile if he can repeat the 5+ yds/carry past history we will all be happy with signing this BIG back.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
bigskydoc":33myw6ph said:
When GB traded 55 to SF, I figured that we would get Lacy with 56. Instead we traded the pick to Baltimore for picks 62, 165, and 199. GB took Lacy with 61, and we took Christine Michael with 62.

Giphy

That sentiment aside, I hope he whips himself into shape. He's a good back when he's in shape. A one-year prove-it deal (which is exactly what this is in my opinion) is just the ticket for that to happen if it's gonna happen.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I am excited about the potential for this signing and cautiously optimistic that it will pay off in a HUGE way. Like Marshawn, Lacy is a bruiser with innate tackle-breaking abilities who struggled with consistency during his first four years in the league. He doesn't have Marshawn's elite vision or leg-driving power, but if healthy, properly conditioned, and motivated, Lacy has at least a chance to serve as Marshawn-lite.

The offensive line is also hypothetically set up fairly well to support a bruising RB like Lacy. Britt, Glowinski, and Ifedi showed flashes last season of becoming explosive run blockers. Luke Joeckel is another physical run blocker and a definite upgrade in that regard over Gilliam.

This doesn't mean we are giving up on Rawls and Prosise either. Prosise, in particular, should become the dynamic complement to Lacy.Rawls on 3rd downs; the lightning to Lacy/Rawls' thunder. Rawls also has terrific potential, but he is still too unproven to rely on him alone as our workhorse back.

Basically, this signing just increased the likelihood that the Seahawks will return to being one of the league's premier rushing teams in 2017, when you factor in Carroll's offensive philosophy and track record, the expected improvement of the run blocking, and a healthy Russell Wilson.

Lacy is also a pretty good pass protector, which is an aspect of the position that Rawls and Prosise tend to struggle with. Carroll said Lacy's rehab from his October ankle injury is currently making it hard for him to condition, but that he should be back to around 240 lbs by the season.

The prospective for him to thrive in Carroll's balanced offensive attack should be tantalizing enough to motivate Lacy to get in shape once his ankle has healed. This signing took balls and vision. I'm glad they managed to get it done.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":hh2dp5au said:
Seanhawk":hh2dp5au said:
I'm flip flopping on the more inspiring signing. Eddie Lacy or Julius Jones.

Jerry Rice? Norman Hand? Brian Russell? Lol.
If we are sticking to RBs, Franco Harris is of that Lore.

At least Lacy is still young and can dominant between the tackles even if he's 235+. I don't think we will see any FeastCakes type runs though.

I wasn't thinking about every FA signing in franchise history. Just RB signings off the top of my head where I had absolutely zero respect for their game before they signed. Thanks though.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3kw8t0q6 said:
bigskydoc":3kw8t0q6 said:
When GB traded 55 to SF, I figured that we would get Lacy with 56. Instead we traded the pick to Baltimore for picks 62, 165, and 199. GB took Lacy with 61, and we took Christine Michael with 62.

Giphy

That sentiment aside, I hope he whips himself into shape. He's a good back when he's in shape. A one-year prove-it deal (which is exactly what this is in my opinion) is just the ticket for that to happen if it's gonna happen.

Then traded 165 and 199 for 137- Jesse Williams.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If he stays healthy and is in shape when the season stats this could be a great get, a poor man's Marshawn Lynch that no one wants to tackle. If it doesn't work out you can cut bait fairly easily. I like it.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
If he looks like this at the beginng of the season

Eddie+Lacy+New+York+Jets+v+Green+Bay+Packers+9vj2t5VFRp9l.jpg

As opposed to this

Fat eddie lacy

Could be a valuable addition. Losing 25+ lbs between now and preseason is easily doable if he is motivated.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3vnae3qd said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3vnae3qd said:
I wanted Lang too... however, in order to pull him from his childhood dream team you're likely looking at a 3 yr, 33-36m deal with 20-25m guaranteed.

All players say this...........................AFTER they sign with childhood team for more money.

Don't kid yourself, Lang signed with Detroit because they not only upped Seattle's offer, but they gave him more guaranteed money.

Pete claimed in his interview today on 950 that "we were not outbid for Lang".

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2qut0zj1 said:
It would be icing on the cake, if Lynch reaches out to Lacy and offers to train with him for a couple of weeks.

It's risking using cake and Lacy in the same sentence.
:roll:

One more:

Between AP and Lacy it came down to the guy who beat a kid -vs- the guy who'd eat a kid.
:roll:

I think this signing could end up being a very positive thing, as already pointed out.

Jville

Reaction score
I recall a big man by the name of James Carpenter who succeeded in correcting weight and conditioning issues prior to his final season in Seattle. He was so solid with his individualized program that he went on to land an impressive second multi-year contract.

For us fans, what Eddie Lacy does with this year remains to be seen. But, I do believe that Lacy has come to exactly the right place at exactly the right time.