RB Giavanni Ruffin announces signing/camp invite w/ Seahawks

chris98251

Reaction score
[youtube]LJkHm2WtSsk[/youtube]

Agree, will have the Hansen brothers mentality again this year I think.

oh there may be language in the vid, don't turn up at work. I don't have speakers at work so can't screen here.

aredub

Reaction score
Camp body or not, good for him! This is awesome! Dude is making his dream come true. I like guys who have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I'm a fan already!

nrayorr

Reaction score
I like his film. Definitely looking forward to how much of a competitor he is in camp. I think if this guy can make the cut he will be our third down option. If he cuts loose in camp like he did in his film on a consistent basis... WATCH OUT!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Skansi82":1aqsrast said:
Inspiring video, but I think he's a longshot at best. His speed/footwork looks impressive, but imagine what Christine Michael would look like doing the exact same drills. I wish him luck regardless....
It wasn't until Michael got his young ass shipped off to Texas, then CUT there and brought back to the Seahawks organization for ONE LAST TRY, that he started to understand that he wasn't entitled.
Ruffin might just have enough prove it attitude AND EFFORT to go along with his size & strength.
I think it's just as dumb to pre-judge him as fodder, not saying that's what you inferred, but when nobody here has absolute proof, one way or the other, kind of come off as know-it-all's, and for that alone, I hope this guy proves to be the third down back extraordinaire.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
So quick to write him off, 0 percent chance to stick. If that isn't a knee jerk reaction, I don't know what is. The thing is, contrary to popular belief, people can change. Normally they don't because they don't want to put in the work and/or their egos are so great they think the problem is with everyone else. But if you can self diagnose a problem, and take active steps towards change, it can happen. I'm not saying he will make it, but the potential is there. We wouldn't have a superbowl win or half the roster if the hawks wrote people off for mistakes they made as a younger person. I can't wait to follow his progress and see what happens. I would love to investigate the past of some people who are quick to judge someone over character concerns. I think the word hypocrite might get thrown around often.

chris98251

Reaction score
27,bounced around the league, went to Canada, if he was that special he would have stuck on a roster, I would think his best chance is a situational or special team guy at best if he has any chance, odds are very long based on his history, things happen and you never know especially here. But if I was putting money on it I would not be betting the farm.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":17yszbbs said:
So quick to write him off, 0 percent chance to stick. If that isn't a knee jerk reaction, I don't know what is. The thing is, contrary to popular belief, people can change. Normally they don't because they don't want to put in the work and/or their egos are so great they think the problem is with everyone else. But if you can self diagnose a problem, and take active steps towards change, it can happen. I'm not saying he will make it, but the potential is there. We wouldn't have a superbowl win or half the roster if the hawks wrote people off for mistakes they made as a younger person. I can't wait to follow his progress and see what happens. I would love to investigate the past of some people who are quick to judge someone over character concerns. I think the word hypocrite might get thrown around often.

I don't think most posters are as spiteful or cynical as your post might suggest.

You're correct, there are plenty of players who were written off and still managed to make contributions to the Hawks.
Browner, Red Bryant, a whole bunch of UDFAs.

But there are other players who by just chance or circumstance have a LONG shot to stick around on the 53 man roster and are just hard to get excited for. I'm thinking of Nate Boyer, Brian Banks, and Jarryd Hayne (With the Niners, but he was an offseason story before he was signed).

53 people is not very many.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
chris98251":2xxu7yt5 said:
27,bounced around the league, went to Canada, if he was that special he would have stuck on a roster, I would think his best chance is a situational or special team guy at best if he has any chance, odds are very long based on his history, things happen and you never know especially here. But if I was putting money on it I would not be betting the farm.
Just curious...was this the post you made when we first signed browner a few years or no?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
You guys are funny. The hawks could sign me off the street and some of you would be pumped.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
After watching his college highlights, I noticed that he has a nice burst to the hole. The key thing I noticed was that on each touch, he had a hole or open field. Not sure how many holes will open up for him behind our o-line. Didn't really see him breaking many tackles or running through tackles. He better be quick to find an opening because chances are the openings will be short lived!

mrt144

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3ic1df6a said:
You guys are funny. The hawks could sign me off the street and some of you would be pumped.

Are you saying that a fellow forum poster getting on the team wouldn't be awesome?

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Basis4day":12qoq7nt said:
Jimjones0384":12qoq7nt said:

I don't think most posters are as spiteful or cynical as your post might suggest.

You're correct, there are plenty of players who were written off and still managed to make contributions to the Hawks.

But there are other players who by just chance or circumstance have a LONG shot to stick around on the 53 man roster and are just hard to get excited for. I'm thinking of Nate Boyer, Brian Banks, and Jarryd Hayne (With the Niners, but he was an offseason story before he was signed).

I agree with you completely. I shouldn't even point out cynicism like that. He isn't even close to being a lock to make the roster. I just want to see guys that have worked that hard to change their lives get a fair chance from team and fans to make their dreams come true. Do we have to point out that a guy is just camp fodder, or can it just be implied. I have to apologize though, didn't mean to lecture anyone. This is the one place on the Internet I have respect for the people involved. Love the insight from all the brilliant football minds on this sight.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":db0seaef said:
So, you're saying that you are an above average athlete with mad work ethics, and mad workout tape on the guy, and that Pete & John have tape on you?
Yeah, I didn't think so.
Apparently they felt it worth while giving him a tryout, and therefore, I'm not so quick to write him off.
Not saying he's another Tomas Rawls, but you don't know that he's not a much better prospect than Jackson was last Season.

dadof3

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1ao252lf said:
What's your 40 time?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":3q46uf0d said:
Basis4day":3q46uf0d said:
Jimjones0384":3q46uf0d said:

I agree with you completely. I shouldn't even point out cynicism like that. He isn't even close to being a lock to make the roster. I just want to see guys that have worked that hard to change their lives get a fair chance from team and fans to make their dreams come true. Do we have to point out that a guy is just camp fodder, or can it just be implied. I have to apologize though, didn't mean to lecture anyone. This is the one place on the Internet I have respect for the people involved. Love the insight from all the brilliant football minds on this sight.

I love a good comeback story as much as the next guy. He'll get his chance.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3p3mzcr9 said:
chris98251":3p3mzcr9 said:
Just curious...was this the post you made when we first signed browner a few years or no?

Probably something close, he was not recruited by other teams really, was older but had a good year in the CFL, seemed slow which was the write up on him but aggressive, he also had coverage issues as a true corner. Not knowing that Pete was going to use Earl as a exclusive over the top insurance policy I am sure many thought he was a long shot as well.

He also had a failed drug test that was brought up from his time in Camp with Denver.

mrblitz

Reaction score
i'm not into spending a lot of draft capital on running backs, or bringing in expensive free agents. on the other hand, you can never have too many running backs. so it's good that the 'hawks are bringing guys like ruffin in for a look-see. pete and john doing their usual due diligence.

OP
OP
B

BigBird

Reaction score
I'm starting to think that this may just be a camp invite instead of an official signing because nothing official has been announced, so I changed the title of the thread.