Re-signing Duane Brown?

seabowl

Reaction score
I know a lot can happen with the Hawks likely drafting a LT but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Hawks re-sign Brown. He would be a good mentor for whoever they do draft. Thoughts?

sutz

Reaction score
Will have to see how the draft shakes out, I think. I kind of agree, but will save a lot if we don't sign him, and if we're not protecting a high dollar QB, maybe we let things play out this year.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I thought that should have been done quite a while ago. The team will have to take some of the dead money into next year to make this happen.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
While signing Brown is a good insurance policy, I’m not entirely convinced signing him is the best move.

Is Brown so good that you absolutely need him? Probably not.

Signing him to an extension also means you almost have to play him because you are paying him. Playing Brown can also simultaneously delay the development of playing a younger player so the younger player can grow and learn, get reps etc.

I personally do not believe the return on investment with Brown being extended is greater than the needed reps and experience a younger player needs.

Imagine if Seattle had Baldwin when Metcalf was a rookie and Metcalf didn’t get as many snaps, would Metcalf have developed as fast as he did?

It’s not apples and oranges but I think Seattle can move on from Brown and play a rookie, game 1, and see what happens.

There’s no greater teacher than experience. Young players need reps in order to grow their talents. I’d take my chances with a young left tackle playing immediately this upcoming season over Brown.

But that’s just me.

getnasty

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind seeing Brown signing to play RT and mentor Cross for a year too. Probably not gonna happen but Brown would be a great guy to learn from.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sutz, after the team drafted Cross I agree completely, Brown's time here is done.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Please, please, please not if it means Cross gets moved to right tackle.

Give the guy a chance to develop at left tackle.

sutz

Reaction score
Please, please, please not if it means Cross gets moved to right tackle.

Give the guy a chance to develop at left tackle.
According to the interview with JS/PC I heard on the radio, they are saying, "That guy (Cross) is a left tackle."

Straight up, I don't see them moving him to RT for "training" purposes.

:)

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
That’s a hard pass. He looked old last year and played that way

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Time to move on from Brown after drafting his replacement.
This is a rebuild.

Latest posts