Really good chalk talk from Huard this week

sondevil89

Reaction score
hawk45":1c1w7znv said:
Largent80":1c1w7znv said:
Bigpumpkin":1c1w7znv said:
There seem to be many plays where Russ is unable to see the open receiver. Aaron Rogers doesn't miss much!

Part of this is the result of "David Carr Syndrome". You can see RW start freaking out as soon as his O-Line breaks containment. He usually turns the wrong way and allows one big fat slow dude to corral him or throw the ball away.

Maybe his injuries were / are part of it, but you watch other QB's and they are playing like RW USED to when pressured.

It is affecting his accuracy big time. I wish we had a stat for how many wide open overthrows he had this year.
Great post L80. I watch highlights of Russell when he came into the league and his pocket presence was better. As our line finally became fully cable guys, he has lost all confidence in them for good reason and now compounds the issue by sacking himself in a panic.

People seem to be convinced that he only became a pocket passer in the last half of last year but he was a very good pocket passer at Wisconsin where he had a good O-line.

Anthony!

Reaction score
sondevil89":3hwezaio said:
hawk45":3hwezaio said:
Largent80":3hwezaio said:
Bigpumpkin":3hwezaio said:
There seem to be many plays where Russ is unable to see the open receiver. Aaron Rogers doesn't miss much!

Part of this is the result of "David Carr Syndrome". You can see RW start freaking out as soon as his O-Line breaks containment. He usually turns the wrong way and allows one big fat slow dude to corral him or throw the ball away.

Maybe his injuries were / are part of it, but you watch other QB's and they are playing like RW USED to when pressured.

It is affecting his accuracy big time. I wish we had a stat for how many wide open overthrows he had this year.
Great post L80. I watch highlights of Russell when he came into the league and his pocket presence was better. As our line finally became fully cable guys, he has lost all confidence in them for good reason and now compounds the issue by sacking himself in a panic.

People seem to be convinced that he only became a pocket passer in the last half of last year but he was a very good pocket passer at Wisconsin where he had a good O-line.

Wilson has always been amongst the league leaders in complt% inside the pocket just some tend to ignore that fact.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
My personal theory is still that Wilson can't see over his line very well. It's not a damning trait, it's not fatal, but it's definitely going to create some traits in his play.

I saw one commentator say that Wilson not only needs a decent line to create throwing lanes for him, he needs an OUTSTANDING line - as in New Orleans 2009 worthy - because of his size.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3endaeyu said:
People who foolishly say Bevell sucks just don't understand the game of football. This documentation from Brock proves it.
Oh, that's rich, junior.

P.S., I've said this for like three years now, but if we don't get better protection for Russell, we're going to ruin him like David Carr and Marc Bulger got ruined. Terrible lines that got them killed for years and they could never recover, they were always hearing footsteps.

OP
OP
AgentDib

AgentDib

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":38t23zxr said:
My personal theory is still that Wilson can't see over his line very well. It's not a damning trait, it's not fatal, but it's definitely going to create some traits in his play.
That's certainly possible, even if many are hesitant to bring up his height at all. Brees has talked about needing an extra second in the pocket at times for throwing lanes to present themselves.

That being said RW is also still clearly developing regarding the mental aspect of the game. He took some unfair criticism after the bye last season due to his vacation with his girlfriend, but what sparked the criticism in the first place was how unprepared the offense looked against the Cardinals disguised 3-4 blitzing with two weeks of preparation. Reading a blitz and audibling to a hot route probably isn't a function of height.

He's still pretty young in QB terms and we've gone through a number of looks with him already with the late '12 emphasis on the read option, the Harvin experiment, and the '14 transition away. There's been some conflicting information about how much we let him do regarding protection, but even if he doesn't do anything there the lack of offensive line continuity still impacts him as well. Having Graham healthy for the offseason this year should help a lot as well as if they can develop some chemistry then the play discussed will probably have better outcomes.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
AgentDib":3p4vmt3c said:
That being said RW is also still clearly developing regarding the mental aspect of the game. He took some unfair criticism after the bye last season due to his vacation with his girlfriend, but what sparked the criticism in the first place was how unprepared the offense looked against the Cardinals disguised 3-4 blitzing with two weeks of preparation. Reading a blitz and audibling to a hot route probably isn't a function of height.

Agree with the rest, but it's worth mentioning that you rarely see those hot routes sent to the middle of the field. Most of Wilson's checkdowns are swings. Accomodation for his height?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Everyone remember when Wilson use to overthrow early in the season and then he would fix it because we knew his tendency? This year it seems like he couldn't, how bad was that pec injury really.

Those years with Lynch and a hurt Lynch our Oline was good, and our offense has always been at least top 5 offense by DVOA except for the Superbowl winning year where we were 7th.

What changed this year:

Wilson with 3 injuries the number on his jersey, I think if he didn't put all that weight on, he would of been done for the season 5 games in.

We wanted to run the ball again, Christine Michael was serviceable but he also left too many yards. Rawls didn't get comfortable until late in the season. Our backup RB's were still fresh and not acclimated to the Pro level yet. When Wilson had a nice Oline and we were able to run, we were unstoppable when it came to passing as well, compliment each other well.

Pretty much an all new Oline, Giliam is the only constant at his position, while Britt excelled at his new one, but the rookies and 2nd year Glowinski still needed time to gel, and hopefully they do a better job next year. I will say that Wilson probably freaked out more than anybody at the line this year, running for his life, and making wild throws and I think he's thinking too much about getting another injury.

Tyler was hurt for most of the early season and Kearse had to be the deep threat again, which he would go against the #1 or #2 CB, which he's not very good against. We have seen it in 2014 when he was starting. Tyler is the X-factor for this offense. Nick Foles in Philadelphia was deadly with Desean Jackson, once Desean was gone, Foles lost his speed demon and ended up putting horrible numbers and he was never able to recovery from it.

We lost Prosise too early, our offense must of had plans to use him alot and when they did, oh boy did he deliver. The problem was we ended up using the same plays to our other guys that are not adept at it.

In the redzone we get too smart sometimes, yes we can run it twice but it's the way we should be running it, Wilson use to be dangerous in the redzone because of the threat of Lynch, and also Wilson's scrambling for a TD. That's what I miss about Wilson, when he had open field close to the goal line that he would punch it in himself.

Im glad we have the constant of Doug and Graham, Richardson came on strong in the end, they've been great for what we had to go through this year. If everyone stayed healthy, including Wilson himself, and our Oline gets back to playing smashmouth football, I think Wilson can put up 38 TD's this season.

Jville

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":12zb052a said:

I saw one commentator say that Wilson not only needs a decent line to create throwing lanes for him, he needs an OUTSTANDING line - as in New Orleans 2009 worthy - because of his size.

Seems to me Wilson is more dependent on throwing lanes than other QB in the NFL. And, that is not going to change. On crossing patterns his site window is brief. Wilson is often late with his throws as the ball arrives behind crossing receivers.

For what it's worth, I thought the throwing lanes were wider and more dependable in 2015 than what we saw in 2016.

Anthony!

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":31aomit7 said:

never heard anyone say that and givetn how he has performed since he has been in the league with a bad oline I would have to say he is wrong.

Anthony!

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":12htvd5r said:
AgentDib":12htvd5r said:

Agree with the rest, but it's worth mentioning that you rarely see those hot routes sent to the middle of the field. Most of Wilson's checkdowns are swings. Accomodation for his height?

actually PC said they throw that way becasue it is safer, less chance of deflection getting intercepted. So not a height issue at all. Also given we have seen him do it , we know he can and there for not an issue.

Tical21

Reaction score
Brock Huard is worthless and should know better. This was an audible pre-snap to try to burn a cover-1 blitz. No qb is going to consider targeting Jimmy Graham on a post based on alignment, as the FS is planted in the middle of the field. This was the correct read by Wilson.

However, since we often audible to similar routes when we recognize blitz, the FS went off-script and guessed right. Russ noticed at the last second that he guessed right and basically threw it away.

The Atlanta FS guessed right, therefore we had to kick a FG. That's all there is to it. Maybe you can blame Bevell for having predictable blitz adjustments, but Russ made the exact right call for an incoming blitz against cover-1.

Jville

Reaction score
What I find more troublesome are the annual catastrophic season ending injuries to receivers. We have seen under thrown and/or off line throws create catastrophic injuries 3 years in a row.

2014 ....... horribly under thrown to Paul Richardson. Defender inadvertently ran up the back of Richardson's legs.

2015 ...... Jimmy Graham had to wait on ball and lean back to his left to make a catch that ripped his patella tendon..

2016 ...... Tyler (don't ever under throw me) Lockett had to ease up, wait on the ball and maneuver to his left into the path of a bigger defender that fell onto the back of his legs.

2017 ....... Who's next?

Those are three quality receivers lost. It's a trend that needs to be corrected before opening day 2017.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Jville":12jvlggw said:
What I find more troublesome are the annual catastrophic season ending injuries to receivers. We have seen under thrown and/or off line throws create catastrophic injuries 3 years in a row.

2014 ....... horribly under thrown to Paul Richardson. Defender inadvertently ran up the back of Richardson's legs.

2015 ...... Jimmy Graham had to wait on ball and lean back to his left to make a catch that ripped his patella tendon..

2016 ...... Tyler (don't ever under throw me) Lockett had to ease up, wait on the ball and maneuver to his left into the path of a bigger defender that fell onto the back of his legs.

2017 ....... Who's next?

Those are three quality receivers lost. It's a trend that needs to be corrected before opening day 2017.

lol yeah whatever, its all Wilsons fault, WR getting hurt, sacks, red zone all Wilson not the great oline, not things hapened, had to be Wilson I mean that is why Kearse and Baldwin who have played with Wilson the longest got hurt, oh wait they did not. LOL what a bunch of BS

Jville

Reaction score
Never the less ........

2017 ....... Who's next?

Jville

Reaction score
I'm good. Thanks for asking.

I'm just hoping Doug Baldwin isn't next in 2017.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Jville":sshozzhf said:
Never the less ........

2017 ....... Who's next?

LOL yeah and another trend is them not getting open forcing our qb to have to run and get hit, forcing our oline to block longer, in fact if they had gotten open thenwe might have stated on the field longer and et might not have gotten hurt. jesus its football people get hurt, people are trying to make plats it happnes but to try and blame any player is just stupid.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Jville":1az2sfi4 said:

2017 ....... Who's next?

:34853_doh:

Jville

Reaction score
Anthony!":v85c2fct said:
Jville":v85c2fct said:
Never the less ........

2017 ....... Who's next?

LOL yeah and another trend is them not getting open forcing our qb to have to run and get hit, forcing our oline to block longer, in fact if they had gotten open thenwe might have stated on the field longer and et might not have gotten hurt. jesus its football people get hurt, people are trying to make plats it happnes but to try and blame any player is just stupid.

That's reads rather conflicted.

The open question is .... who is next for 2017?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Jville":xiwgatvn said:
Anthony!":xiwgatvn said:
Jville":xiwgatvn said:
Never the less ........

2017 ....... Who's next?

That's reads rather conflicted.

The open question is .... who is next for 2017?

The real question should be why was such a silly post written.