Reasons why Russell Wilson is factually ELITE...

Willyeye

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":ymg36tee said:
hawksurething":ymg36tee said:
Tical21":ymg36tee said:
Elite quarterback, yes. Elite passer, no. Elite passers diagnose and dissect defenses. But usually have decent receivers. Something doesn't pass the eye test and I'm still way too lazy to figure out why.

Elite passer better than Peyton was at this stage. Passer rate 100.00. You lose.

Not even remotely true. :lol:

Evaluating QB's based only on passing yards and passing TD's is pretty silly. Not sure where you got 110 TD's for Peyton's first three years, but that's incorrect. If you look at the stats below in their totality, I would say that Wilson's numbers are better than Peyton's. The passing yards and passing TD's you listed are such a small sample size of all the numbers that are used to evaluate QB's, they really don't tell the story.

Here are some stats for some QB's for their first three years:
Total yards (passing and rushing)- Peyton..12538; Wilson...11827; Marino...11445; Brady...6766
Total yards including postseason- Peyton...12979; Wilson...13902; Marino...13125; Brady...7360
Total TD's (passing and rushing)- Peyton...88; Wilson...83; Marino...100; Brady...47
Total TD's including postseason- Peyton...90; Wilson...97; Marino...113; Brady...49
Passer rating- Peyton...86.4; Wilson...98.6; Marino...96.4; Brady...85.9
TD%- Peyton...5.1; Wilson...5.8; Marino...6.9; Brady...4.5
INT%- Peyton...3.4; Wilson...2.1; Marino...3.1; Brady...2.6
Yards per attempt- Peyton...7.32; Wilson...7.95; Marino...8.01; Brady...6.5
Completion %- Peyton...60.39; Wilson...63.42; Marino...61.04; Brady...62.73

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Willyeye":1whujsdt said:
Evaluating QB's based only on passing yards and passing TD's is pretty silly.

Is it more or less silly than including post-seasong games so your favorite guy gets more than an extra half season of games to accumulate stats your first three year comparison?

Is it more or less silly than just looking at raw numbers to artificially deflate guys like Brady who only played in two of his first three years?

Is it more or less silly than comparing QBs across eras and deliberately leaving out a same era QB like Luck?

I have no skin in this game and don't care at all who "wins" the debate, but c'mon, man. :D

Willyeye

Reaction score
Popeyejones":26qkucgi said:
Willyeye":26qkucgi said:
Evaluating QB's based only on passing yards and passing TD's is pretty silly.

Is it more or less silly than including post-seasong games so your favorite guy gets more than an extra half season of games to accumulate stats your first three year comparison?

Is it more or less silly than just looking at raw numbers to artificially deflate guys like Brady who only played in two of his first three years?

Is it more or less silly than comparing QBs across eras and deliberately leaving out a same era QB like Luck?

I have no skin in this game and don't care at all who "wins" the debate, but c'mon, man. :D

Including postseason games shows that, because Wilson has helped the Seahawks make it so far in the postseason, he has accumulated a lot of numbers that other QB's were unable to, being that they didn't win as much as Wilson has. Also, with the exception of a crappy performance in the NFCCG, Wilson's playoff performances have been exceptional, and not only when compared to other QB's first three years. And unbelievably, Wilson has received very little credit for his playoff games...

So, let's talk SB MVP...in his second year, Brady won the MVP for SB XXXVI. The line on Brady:
16 of 27 for 59.3%, 145 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, rating 86.2, yards per attempt 5.4

In his 3rd season, Joe Montana won the SB MVP for SB XVI. The line on Montana:
14 0f 22 for 63.6%, 157 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, rating 100.0, yards per attempt 7.1

In Wilson's second year, he did not win the MVP for SB XLVIII...it was given to Malcolm Smith, who had a pick 6 and a fumble recovery (a pass tipped by Avril, and a forced fumble by Maxwell) and nothing much else that would have risen to the level of a SB MVP performance. The line on Wilson:
18 of 25 for 72.0%, 206 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, rating 123.1, yards per attempt 8.2

The original poster tried to act as if Wilson's first three years don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with Peyton Manning's. I'm brand new here, so I'm not that familiar with how to work the "quotes and replies" portion of the blog yet, and I botched it. The comparison was really only meant to compare Wilson and Peyton...I included Brady and Marino only for perspective.

If you want to see how Luck compares to Wilson, I can add him to the list and re-post it. Regarding different eras, there is nothing I can do to change that...the stats are what they are...would there be any way to make era adjustments to change numbers for comparisons? Would there be a method that would be objective? I don't know, but doing that is way above my pay grade.

I don't care "who wins the debate" either. I am not implying that Wilson is the best QB of all time, nor the best QB in the NFL today...he is neither of those things...not even close in my opinion. I'm just saying that Wilson has arguably had one of the best first three years of any QB. Of course, a lot of football fans compare Russell to Dilfer and Tebow...those are the people I try to enlighten.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The calories we burn on this subject could power a small city for years.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28vadftk said:
The calories we burn on this subject could power a small city for years.

I hate this time of year...just nothing much going on in the football world.