Receivers: not a luxury in FA

seahawksfanatic000

Reaction score
It was brought up in the Harvin thread that getting a wr in free agency would be a luxury to our offense, they thought it wasn't necessary like a DE or DT. I however, disagree.
I think that not a lot of people are facing the fact that lynch is not getting any younger. The way he runs, it is possible that this could be one of his last productive years in Seattle. Defenses gameplan for lynch, and this in turn takes the pressure off of the receivers and makes their job easier. Our receivers are adequate in a system where we rush for 2000+ yards in a season. Now, if something happened to our stellar running attack, how much production do you think we will get from our current receivers when they are the primary threat to the defense? This isn't intended as a slap In the face, but our offense would regress a lot with our current guys alone. This offseason, receivers are a large priority, not a "luxury" as some of you think.

Jville

Reaction score
Is this the fantasy season? Is this a revisionist's attempt to re-write the 2011 season?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I agree, we lose Sidney and we're in trouble. We can and should spend on both the dline and a big time playmaker, it is very much doable, I trust JS spending money.

Jville

Reaction score
I recall Carroll and company explaining all this in 2011. Where were you guys?

OP
OP
seahawksfanatic000

seahawksfanatic000

Reaction score
Jville":u84u1lc9 said:
Is this the fantasy season? Is this a revisionist's attempt to re-write the 2011 season?

No, it's called insurance. We need a plan B if what we are currently doing becomes jeapordized.

Jville

Reaction score
LOL ...... well carry on with the fantasy. It is after all the silly season.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Agree'd. Somewhere along the line whether its free agency or in the first 2 or 3 rounds of the draft there is not a doubt in my mind that we add at least one WR, maybe 2.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
PC and JS believe in the run, and they're going to do everything they can to ensure that we stay a run-based offense. That aspect isn't changing, hopefully.

That said, Wilson constantly being forced to scramble last year highlighted (amongst other things) how our current WR's don't always get good separation. That, combined with the fact that we have only three of them anyway, makes WR pretty much a necessity. Not on the level of DT/DE, but a necessity nonetheless.

pehawk

Reaction score
A WR will be added and MUST. Too many times Wilson bought time in the pocket to have nothing open down field...they couldn't have forseen that type of situation before landing Wilson. WR's more matching his skillset is a MUST.

Best case is to flip Rice for a Wallace, somehow, someway. Second best is pick up an Tavon/Bush (in NO)/Harvinesque type flanker/RB/waterbug type.

Jville

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2l3lw4xt said:
PC and JS believe in the run, and they're going to do everything they can to ensure that we stay a run-based offense. That aspect isn't changing, hopefully.

That said, Wilson constantly being forced to scramble last year highlighted (amongst other things) how our current WR's don't always get good separation. That, combined with the fact that we have only three of them anyway, makes WR pretty much a necessity. Not on the level of DT/DE, but a necessity nonetheless.

All True ...... and it doesn't mandate a $10 million dollar man as the only option.

pehawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":11wvbkdr said:
PC and JS believe in the run, and they're going to do everything they can to ensure that we stay a run-based offense.

Two years ago you said similar, but it was because JS and PC didn't understand the QB position or passing attacks (paraphrasing). This regime WILL pass more, get used to a shock, hermano.

Jville

Reaction score
pehawk":1at1644u said:
MontanaHawk05":1at1644u said:
PC and JS believe in the run, and they're going to do everything they can to ensure that we stay a run-based offense.

Two years ago you said similar, but it was because JS and PC didn't understand the QB position or passing attacks (paraphrasing). This regime WILL pass more, get used to a shock, hermano.

I don't believe that at all. I believe they fully understand the QB position. And, I don't believe they are going to throw away what Cable has built and start over.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Jville":2w70cgga said:
pehawk":2w70cgga said:
MontanaHawk05":2w70cgga said:

I don't believe that at all. I don't believe they are going to throw away what Cable has built and start over.

It's not starting over, its adding to and evolving. We've established a smash mouth run focus, the next evolution is to use that to our advantage in builting a better passing attack.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Who said anything about starting over? We just drafted a pro bowl quarterback that is already one of the best in the league at extending the play, and throwing more is just the smart thing to do.

pehawk

Reaction score
I didn't say go away from Cable. But, the regime also leaned heavily on the run because of personnel. They had no WR's nor QB's to work with. Its called playing the hand your dealt, ie gameplanning around your best chance to win.

Wilson is now their best player. Also, the defense is being built to play with a lead.

Jville

Reaction score
I think they still want to run the clock and project a physical style. I don't believe that will change. Granted ..... they may not run the ball between 57 and 58 percent next year. They might settle for 55%.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Next year is not going to be the last productive year for Lynch. He has 3 years in him just based on the way he is built. He runs physical and dishes it out, but that his body fits that style of running. To add, he is changing the way he runs to balance that contact running lately. He has shown burst, ability to read holes and avoid tackles. Very unique.

I do think that if Rice went down, that there would be an issue, but don't sell Tate, Baldwin and Miller short. I would not be surprised to see Chop-Chop gaining some snaps and making some catches next season either. That doesn't mean they won't do something in FA, I just don't think they need to do something crazy in FA with money.

I trust team PC/JS to do the right thing, these guys are good at their job and will put a set of WR's on the roster that are effective.

pehawk

Reaction score
Pete adapts, WELL. Maybe not in-game as much as we'd all like, but I dont believe for one second he's married to any particular type of play. He adapted at USC to fit his strengths, and he'll do it here.

Also, speed on defense doesn't mean a THING unless you can get a lead. They wouldn't be cherishing speed over all else defensively unless there was an eye to building a lead.

Jville

Reaction score
The defense wants the football. They want it to take the ball away thru turn over or force 3 and outs. This team is about controling the football and the clock.

pehawk

Reaction score
Jville":20snw3pj said:
The defense wants the football. They want it to take the ball away thru turn over or force 3 and outs. This team is about controling the football and the clock.

Hmmm...and what did Wilson have to prove in order to get the offense opened up a bit more...converting 3rd downs and sustaining drives. This regime now has a QB who can kill clock and control the football, maybe better than anyone in the league, by throwing it.

It was about the players.

Latest posts