Report: Hawks Players Don't Think RW is Black Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

pehawk

Reaction score
I feel bad for Russell Wilson. I too am discriminated against for not being black enough. I'm not sure you guys understand how hard it is.

FWIW, Freeman is a knowledgeable writer with legit connections. He's respected by the more traditional media types. I buy it.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1hxo1a79 said:
If this is true, they're racist. Ship any players with this attitude off to New York with Percy. I bet he's plenty "black enough."

This isn't racism, this is a serious issue within the black community, but it's not racism. You'll be shipping half the team off to New York if you thought this way.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
SonicHawk":34ilxor1 said:
XxXdragonXxX":34ilxor1 said:
If this is true, they're racist. Ship any players with this attitude off to New York with Percy. I bet he's plenty "black enough."

This isn't racism, this is a serious issue within the black community, but it's not racism. You'll be shipping half the team off to New York if you thought this way.

How exactly is it not racism?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Wasn't RG3 accused of this same thing?

I don't even know what this means really.. and I know pehawk is vouching for Mike Freeman, but to me Freeman is in the same hack category as Pete Prisco.

This is what happens when teams at the top start getting some chinks in the armor though. Now every writer in the country wants to be "that guy" that uncovers some deep, dark mystery over why the team is losing all of a sudden. Until we start winning again, this is probably going to continue to happen.. mysterious "sources" reporting all kinds of nonsense.

Basically - we're turning into the 49ers of September 2014.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":25ueji5i said:
SonicHawk":25ueji5i said:
XxXdragonXxX":25ueji5i said:

Well, by definition, it's not racism.

idahohawk

Reaction score

hoxrox

Reaction score
idahohawk":3gukdnzj said:
See Definition of: Click bait

click·bait
ˈklikbāt/
noun informal
noun: click bait
(on the Internet) content, especially that of a sensational or provocative nature, whose main purpose is to attract attention and draw visitors to a particular web page.
"these recent reports of the show's imminent demise are hyperbolic clickbait"

Front7vLOB":3gukdnzj said:

PFT is notorious for that. They're like the TMZ of the NFL

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
SonicHawk":tqhhbg4u said:
XxXdragonXxX":tqhhbg4u said:
SonicHawk":tqhhbg4u said:
XxXdragonXxX":tqhhbg4u said:

He's being discriminated against based on his race. How is this not the definition of racism?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":4miac0ku said:
He's being discriminated against based on his race. How is this not the definition of racism?

Because it's not.

RACISM: the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Russell Wilson is a black man. Do you believe the other black players think Russell Wilson is a white person? Or do you think he just 'acts white' or 'acts not black'. Do you also believe that these black players believe that black people are superior to white people (or other races as well)?

I'm a successful, mixed race, mulatto person raised in a suburban white neighborhood unlike my dark [half] brothers and sisters. If you don't think I understand what is happening, I can tell you that I absolutely do.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
JSeahawks":gf15f4qq said:
So were finally feeling what it's like to being one of those "glamour franchises". All if a sudden everything is overly scrutinized and turned into a soap opera. One of the pitfalls of success I suppose.

This

pehawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":4szmzxvy said:
I don't even know what this means really.. and I know pehawk is vouching for Mike Freeman, but to me Freeman is in the same hack category as Pete Prisco.

Yeah, I'm just weird that way. I can digest data and opinions different than my own. And, even stranger than that, I can use a variety of opinions and data points to arrive at individualistic thoughts. Yes, even after subjecting myself to dissenting views I come away thinking AND absent offense. But, im a crazy bastard. Nutty pe!

Lol at the irony of comparing him to Prisco. He torches Prisco, daily, over not seeing Wilson's brilliance as a player on twitter. Also, slight internal chuckle over the comparison in general.

I wonder why the kearlys of the world find this a tough room? Hmm...

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
SonicHawk":19to8n26 said:
XxXdragonXxX":19to8n26 said:

Because it's not.

RACISM: the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Russell Wilson is a black man. Do you believe the other black players think Russell Wilson is a white person? Or do you think he just 'acts white' or 'acts not black'. Do you also believe that these black players believe that black people are superior to white people (or other races as well)?

I'm a successful, mixed race, mulatto person raised in a suburban white neighborhood unlike my dark [half] brothers and sisters. If you don't think I understand what is happening, I can tell you that I absolutely do.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

Any action, practice, or belief that reflects the racial worldview—the ideology that humans are divided into separate and exclusive biological entities called “races,” that there is a causal link between inherited physical traits and traits of personality, intellect, morality, and other cultural behavioral features, and that some “races” are innately superior to others.

The fact that they believe that there is a certain way that black people should act, and the fact that Russell Wilson doesn't fit that, is a racist belief.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Stuff like this makes me smile - I'm as white as they come and my fiance is mixed (half black/half white - but dark complexion) - she likes country, I like rap, she likes the crock pot, I like to barbeque. I,therefore, am blacker than she is.

How this is relevant to anything, I don't know, but neither is any of this - we're just the superbowl champs, playing terribly, have the camera's on us, everyone wants us to lose, everyone has it in for us for taking down America's dream QB last February and being a bully and now the NFL is turning into the NBA - who cares anymore?

Edit: and we're due with our son, Liam, in February - so take that America!

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1mn117pp said:

Let's just get rid of them all and trade for JJ Watt, Jared Allen, Clay Matthews, Jordy Nelson, Wes Welker, Toby Gerhart, Jake Long, Luke Keuchly. Our Secondary would have to suck though.

:sarcasm_on:

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3hlfp1uv said:
XxXdragonXxX":3hlfp1uv said:

Let's just get rid of them all and trade for JJ Watt, Jared Allen, Clay Matthews, Jordy Nelson, Wes Welker, Toby Gerhart, Jake Long, Luke Keuchly. Our Secondary would have to suck though.

:sarcasm_on:

don't forget that honky from Philly

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
SonicHawk":131q32mg said:
XxXdragonXxX":131q32mg said:

Because it's not.

How is saying "you are black therefor you should act a certain way" not racist? That seems like the epitome of racism.

Osprey

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3tddsxku said:
XxXdragonXxX":3tddsxku said:
SonicHawk":3tddsxku said:
XxXdragonXxX":3tddsxku said:

The issue is cultural, but it's expressed as a racist comment. If you don't conform to the cultural norms (highly variable in reality) you lose your race classification.

You act white (i.e. conform to mainstream cultural norms) therefore you are no longer black.

Don't know about the validity of this particular article, but this is the team that refers to one of its receivers as Chop Chop (the other white meat).

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2ipekx1m said:
SonicHawk":2ipekx1m said:
XxXdragonXxX":2ipekx1m said:

Because it's not.

How is saying "you are black therefor you should act a certain way" not racist? That seems like the epitome of racism.

Because racism implies superiority or inferiority. It's like if you went to the store and ordered blue paint and when you got home and began painting and it turned out red. It's not that you don't like red or you think red is inferior, it's just that you expected it to be blue.

It's not racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.