Report: Hawks Players Don't Think RW is Black Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1hwibwoc said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1hwibwoc said:
Saw the words Bleacher Report and instantly stopped reading. Total crap.

You don't know what it's like to be a mixed, well-spoken black man then. Some blacks resent us.
Do they hate the president?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I grew up a white kid in a primarily black and hispanic community. I learned two important things: Skin color has nothing to do with a persons worth and blacks, hispanics and whites are all equally prejudiced.

What I got out of this article:

The main issue some players seem to have with Wilson is they think he’s too close to the front office

There are some players who have an "us vs them" attitude on the team, "them" being the front office. This is pretty amazing considering that "they" just led "us" to a Super Bowl. Yet some players evidently haven't bought in. The logical conclusion is that their ire at the FO is about money. Which points a big finger at Lynch being on of the players who isn't buying in.

Those who have this attitude naturally look at Wilson, who will be bringing in big bucks next season and who is the face of the organization, as being one of "them". It's a small step from that feeling to thinking he's not black enough.

Pete always gets rid of people who don't buy in. He needs to get rid of these people as well. Unfortunately, we're stuck with them for the remainder of the season. It seems to me that Lynch, who was on Harvin's side, is quite possibly one of these people, though it's hard to say because I always thought Lynch and Wilson had a close relationship. If Lynch is one of these people, however, I highly doubt he'll be back next season.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
If it's true the problem is with the ones getting on him. He is a a choir boy in image and I suspect it is really just jealously. He is gong to get a big payday.

Greenhell

Reaction score
SonicHawk":17kdh43m said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":17kdh43m said:
Saw the words Bleacher Report and instantly stopped reading. Total crap.

You don't know what it's like to be a mixed, well-spoken black man then. Some blacks resent us.

It's similar if you're Latino.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2ho3cxxv said:
XxXdragonXxX":2ho3cxxv said:
If this is true, they're racist. Ship any players with this attitude off to New York with Percy. I bet he's plenty "black enough."

This isn't racism, this is a serious issue within the black community, but it's not racism. You'll be shipping half the team off to New York if you thought this way.
It IS racism. It's a put down to say he's not black enough, as if being black is superior to being any other color. What they mean is that he's acting like a white man and obviously, that is a bad thing when you're black and racist against whites.

So yes, welcome to what black racism looks like.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think the article and subsequent thread is all a set up to entrap and permanently ban me from the site. Do you have ANY idea how many jokes there are in this thread? I'm like Rainman on the porch missing "Whoppner" right now.

Well played mods, well played. And kudos for getting Freeman in on your ruse. But, I will not bite.

drdiags

Reaction score
I was wondering how long before this would become its own topic. Here is what I posted in the Breno thread earlier:

"If someone is talking bad about your quarterback," Douglas said, "they [have] to go. Period. The quarterback, through thick and thin, has to be the guy."

In Seattle, though many people may deny this, there was a similar dynamic between Wilson and Harvin.

While reports suggest (like ESPN's Chris Mortensen) Wilson wanted to help Harvin through his anger issues, one Seahawks player said the biggest reason the team traded the wide receiver was his increasing animosity towards the third-year QB. Players said Harvin was an accelerant in a locker room that was quickly dividing between Wilson and anti-Wilson.

What I find interesting and disappointing is the "Cornball" brother type of labeling implicated in the story. We blacks should have been past this kind of thinking, hate to see it can still be an issue. I thought "Uncle Tom" was something from my generation that would fade away.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
How this is relevant to anything, I don't know, but neither is any of this - we're just the superbowl champs, playing terribly, have the camera's on us, everyone wants us to lose, everyone has it in for us for taking down America's dream QB last February and being a bully and now the NFL is turning into the NBA - who cares anymore?
Very true. Also congrats on the impending new 12!!!!

SonicHawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2czjtvqq said:
SonicHawk":2czjtvqq said:
XxXdragonXxX":2czjtvqq said:
If this is true, they're racist. Ship any players with this attitude off to New York with Percy. I bet he's plenty "black enough."

This isn't racism, this is a serious issue within the black community, but it's not racism. You'll be shipping half the team off to New York if you thought this way.
It IS racism. It's a put down to say he's not black enough, as if being black is superior to being any other color. What they mean is that he's acting like a white man and obviously, that is a bad thing when you're black and racist against whites.

You're saying words that make sense to you but they have no context within the black community.

I am giving you direct experience with this exact same issue, why it exists, and what it really means.

If a black man says that white people 'all like ham sandwiches' is that racism? If a white person said 'Man, I just don't like any black rappers' is that racist? If you see an old Crown Victoria driving along the freeway with the spotlight still attached and you see a white man in a suit driving it... you're surprised aren't you? That's not racism.

If a Seahawk player, who grew up in some crap area around all black people who dressed the same, acted a certain way, had similar suspicions of other races, looked at the upper-middle class whites that looked down on him and then as soon as he had some athletic talent suddenly they couldn't get enough of them and you see another man that looks like you seemingly on the other side... you don't think that freaks them out a bit?

It's not racism. It's called being a human.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I'll never understand how this is a thing. Just like I'll never understand why people think we are all different races when we are only different ethnically. But what do I know, I'm merely a privileged white male.

Rickomatic

Reaction score
I tried to find confirmation of this story on whitesportsonline.com , but that site is apparently down at the moment................

drdiags

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3lehem3q said:
SonicHawk":3lehem3q said:
XxXdragonXxX":3lehem3q said:

I heard it referred to as crabs in a barrel mentality. People feeling someone is getting "uppity" by using proper English or acting intelligent. Those type of comments don't seem to indicate a feeling of superiority. More of envy, jealousy and inferiority if you look at what is being communicated in the remarks.

I say it smacks of stupidity but a line along this type of thinking was uttered by the star of the new "Blackish" series when he said his wife wasn't black enough.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Racism or not...it falls under the same category of judging somebody for things they cant control...or "discrimination" as scientists call it...racism is just a more specific label for discrimination based on race.

To me its just as bad as judging somebody for being disabled, for their sexual orientation, etc...

SonicHawk

Reaction score
drdiags":2uv4ws1f said:
I say it smacks of stupidity but a line along this type of thinking was uttered by the star of the new "Blackish" series when he said his wife wasn't black enough.

It is stupidity and in many respects it is jealousy.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
drdiags":yaa3d70g said:

OT, but that is a damn funny show.

TwilightError

Reaction score
It is racial prejudice, therefore it is racism. As for the media part, it is amazing what a few losses can do to a successful team.

These boys are millionaires, all the ethnic scale of them. They should understand their own benefits better than to gang up in prison style race groups.

It is likely that Wilson is so close to the FO, some others take him as a "spy", especially knowing his dedication. Leading by example can seem very demaning. Still, if we kept winning, everything would be just fine. The minute one starts losing...

Hawkpower

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1mvp45e7 said:
Seahawks1983":1mvp45e7 said:
SonicHawk":1mvp45e7 said:
XxXdragonXxX":1mvp45e7 said:
He's being discriminated against based on his race. How is this not the definition of racism?

Because it's not.

How is saying "you are black therefor you should act a certain way" not racist? That seems like the epitome of racism.

Because racism implies superiority or inferiority. It's like if you went to the store and ordered blue paint and when you got home and began painting and it turned out red. It's not that you don't like red or you think red is inferior, it's just that you expected it to be blue.

It's not racism.

Its assumed and implied that by not "acting black" that he is indeed displaying "superiority".

Its used in a derogatory way to imply someone is being uppity and not respecting their race and corresponding social norms that apparently all blacks should conform to.

So yes, racism is at play.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3f639ej5 said:
Its assumed and implied that by not "acting black" that he is indeed displaying "superiority".

So yes, racism is at play.

Wait, you think Black people think that White people are superior?

No, 'acting white' to a black person is suggesting that the other black person is 'thinking they are superior' not that they 'are superior'.

NOT. Racism.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2i2vr727 said:
stizz19":2i2vr727 said:
If Wilson isn't black enough imagine what Brady and Mannings teammates think of them?

Probably as white.
Yeah, but are they white enough?...let that sink in for a moment.
This race thing just gets in the way of getting on with being the best you that you can be, be you white or black, or anything in between. . .Got em all in my family. and ain't no one of them better than the other.
On Russell Wilson-- I have heard him include himself in critique.
I see it as him being pretty savvy about not letting a mistake put a grunge on his mental play..keep the slate clean, and don't let crap fog up the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.