Report: Hawks Players Don't Think RW is Black Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
SonicHawk":7e3acrpv said:
Hawkpower":7e3acrpv said:
Its assumed and implied that by not "acting black" that he is indeed displaying "superiority".

So yes, racism is at play.

Wait, you think Black people think that White people are superior?

No, 'acting white' to a black person is suggesting that the other black person is 'thinking they are superior' not that they 'are superior'.

NOT. Racism.

Whats the difference?

The end result is the same.

You specifically said that "superiority" needed to be involved for it to be racism. You yourself just admitted that it's a variable in the equation.

Is there a specific reason you are arguing this like you are?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
There was a Chris Rock skit years back about "keeping it real" which is along the same lines. It's funny that in order to fit in with a group, you gotta almost set yourself back 50 years. This sounds like the case for RW, does being black enough mean he has to use the N word over and over again? talk like he's from the streets?

I can somewhat relate, although I'm not black, I am from an island and I've been living in Washington State for the past 10 years now (wow has it been that long) and went to college (where a very small percentage of people back home do). When I go back home to visit and hang out with people I used to associate with in high school they call me haole (white person) because I choose to no longer speak island slang with terrible grammar and improperly pronounce things just so I can fit in. My priorities in life and things I talk about are more cultural and career-based vs talking about getting wasted, getting high, listening to music, banging hot girls, and getting in fights and therefore I'm boring or "being a f*g" or haole. Which I'm pretty sure is similar to RW being considered "not black enough".

Needless to say I don't hangout with people like that anymore. I can imagine football locker rooms for intelligent professional QBs around athletes who grew up in urban areas (and have not changed their mindset much since) are similar to my experiences. Sadly in RW's case, he's stuck with who he's around and has to work with them.

Another thing to note though, just because they don't like you or don't want to hang out with you. Doesn't mean they won't listen to you or respect you as a leader. The QB is your manager, he's not your co-worker.

pehawk

Reaction score
Over/Under on # posts before this gets locked or moved to a shacked forum? Currently 8.5.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Are Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers black enough?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Seaswab":12xwnj8j said:
Are Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers black enough?

They're as black as anybody expects them to be.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Is proper grammar the only thing you guys can come up with that you think bothers 'black' people?

I mean really, that's the least of the things.

GFang

Reaction score
"Not black enough" = "I resent that the white man runs the world and writes our paychecks. At the same time, I want what the white man has, and I am jealous that YOU are more favored by white people than I am".

After the Super Bowl, my coworker told me that Russell Wilson had better be careful about saying things like "I want to own a team in the future", lest his teammates resent him. Looks like he was right.

pehawk

Reaction score
GFang":1hhypevf said:
"Not black enough" = "I resent that the white man runs the world and writes our paychecks. At the same time, I want what the white man has, and I am jealous that YOU are more favored by white people than I am".

After the Super Bowl, my coworker told me that Russell Wilson had better be careful not to sound too ambitious, lest his teammates resent him. Looks like he was right.

Think we found ourselves another candidate to take over Kearly's "Random Thoughts" posts, everybody.

Move over Tical21...

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I'm just going to go ahead and ignore that deviation.

12thManNorth

Reaction score
First comes reports that white guys in the Hawks locker room are concerned that Steven Hauschka isn't white enough, and now this ?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
SonicHawk":16iwfzqu said:
SalishHawkFan":16iwfzqu said:
SonicHawk":16iwfzqu said:
XxXdragonXxX":16iwfzqu said:
If this is true, they're racist. Ship any players with this attitude off to New York with Percy. I bet he's plenty "black enough."

This isn't racism, this is a serious issue within the black community, but it's not racism. You'll be shipping half the team off to New York if you thought this way.
It IS racism. It's a put down to say he's not black enough, as if being black is superior to being any other color. What they mean is that he's acting like a white man and obviously, that is a bad thing when you're black and racist against whites.

So yes, welcome to what black racism looks like.

You're saying words that make sense to you but they have no context within the black community.

I am giving you direct experience with this exact same issue, why it exists, and what it really means.

If a black man says that white people 'all like ham sandwiches' is that racism? If a white person said 'Man, I just don't like any black rappers' is that racist? If you see an old Crown Victoria driving along the freeway with the spotlight still attached and you see a white man in a suit driving it... you're surprised aren't you? That's not racism.

If a Seahawk player, who grew up in some crap area around all black people who dressed the same, acted a certain way, had similar suspicions of other races, looked at the upper-middle class whites that looked down on him and then as soon as he had some athletic talent suddenly they couldn't get enough of them and you see another man that looks like you seemingly on the other side... you don't think that freaks them out a bit?

It's not racism. It's called being a human.
I have direct experience. It IS racism. Third thing I learned growing up around the Black Panthers - my heroes btw - and a large hispanic community, is that neither the black people nor the hispanic ever admit that what they call racism in whites is exactly what they do themselves and they're just as guilty of it.

pehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1x1ffjkm said:
GFang":1x1ffjkm said:

After the Super Bowl, my coworker told me that Russell Wilson had better be careful about saying things like "I want to own a team in the future", lest his teammates resent him. Looks like he was right.

Please Mods, do not ban this chap. I have a feeling he's Galerp, and I have missed him so.

Why would they ban the new writer of our weekly "Random Thoughts" column?

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
peachesenregalia":16zwvit8 said:
GFang":16zwvit8 said:

Please Mods, do not ban this chap. I have a feeling he's Galerp, and I have missed him so.

:shock: YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!

sc85sis

Reaction score
Whites institutionalized racism via slavery. That's why we get called out on the carpet whenever race comes into questions.

Blacks were the victims of slavery and therefore tend--in many cases, though certainly not all--to think they aren't racist.

Any behavior or attitude that judges another person based on his color and/or how he fits into his community as a result of his color is a form of racism. Saying someone "isn't black enough" is racial profiling and finding someone lacking if they don't fit a preconceived idea of what that profile should be--and that's racist.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":119h74dp said:
I have direct experience. It IS racism. Third thing I learned growing up around the Black Panthers - my heroes btw - and a large hispanic community, is that neither the black people nor the hispanic ever admit that what they call racism in whites is exactly what they do themselves and they're just as guilty of it.

The Black Panthers were from a completely different era and took a more militant and intensive stance on how the black community was to gain power and equality.

We're not here to discuss Black Panthers though because that has nothing to do with this discussion. That was black vs white people, not blacks vs other blacks.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":21yx88kk said:
Whites institutionalized it via slavery. That's why we get called out on the carpet whenever race comes into questions.

Blacks were the victims of slavery and therefore tend--in many cases, though certainly not all--to think they aren't racist.

Any behavior or attitude that judges another person based on his color and/or how he fits into his community as a result of his color is a form of racism. Saying someone "isn't black enough" is racial profiling and finding someone lacking if they don't fit a preconceived idea of what that profile should be--and that's racist.

Just stop.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sigh. Remember he comes from a family tree of intelligence and education and maybe other guys don't relate. Regardless, I sincerely wish and hope that his teammates are far more interested in winning and how he can help them do so than how freakin' black he is or white he is or any of that crap.

If this is true, it's sad as hell that because here these guys won one championship they're already rapidly forgetting what got them there.....the mutual drive to be the best.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1e1cuvu2 said:
Sigh. Remember he comes from a family tree of intelligence and education and maybe other guys don't relate. Regardless, I sincerely wish and hope that his teammates are far more interested in winning and how he can help them do so than how freakin' black he is or white he is or any of that crap.

If this is true, it's sad as hell that because here these guys won one championship they're already rapidly forgetting what got them there.....the mutual drive to be the best.

I guarantee that Russell's intelligence is not what any of the players dislike or disprove of. Suggesting that 'acting white' is 'being intelligent' would actually be racist, and not one single black person ever would use it that way.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1kbc9iyv said:
hawksfansinceday1":1kbc9iyv said:

I guarantee that Russell's intelligence is not what any of the players dislike or disprove of. Suggesting that 'acting white' is 'being intelligent' would actually be racist, and not one single black person ever would use it that way.
Yeah makes sense cuz Sherman is obviously very intelligent as well and we hear none of this in regards to him. I dunno man, I'm just a suburban white guy and all but to me the whole winning thing is what matters, not if my point guard is black (all of my PGs were in college) or white (in high school).

Status
Not open for further replies.