Report: Kaepernick, Niners to part ways after season

Cyrus12

Reaction score
never heard so much chat about a 3rd string QB...Anyone think Charlie Whitehurst gets a job next year, after all he is with Jewel.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I was listening to a national sports radio show today (think it was JT "the Brick" at that point. It was just what happened to be on) ... and the host had some extremely interesting comments about Kaepernick. He said that he had talked to several GM's around the league ... and the prevailing opinion is that Kaepernick is going to be a BIG TIME hit in Chip Kelly's system. He went on to add that they felt that these fellow GM's wouldn't be surprised if Trent Baalke ends up with Executive of the Year next season. They believe Kaepernick is going to be that big of a hit. Keep in mind that wasn't the host's opinion -- he reiterated that is the opinion of several current GM's around the league. Take that FWIW. We'll see.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
chris98251":1e99axqm said:
Same GM's that said Wilson is a career back up at best?

Don't shoot the messenger -- that's what the host said. He said he'd personally talked to several GM's and the overwhelming opinion is that Kaepernick in Kelly's system is going to be lights out. Now, I'm a skeptic personally as I've seen, what 4 years of this guy. I was down on him long before most were ... and for all the reasons that the Seahawks have exposed. The Seahawks know the chapter and verse of every page of his book. He is either a runner ... or a passer (not a guy who can effectively pass on the run like Russell Wilson). He also doesn't see the entire field very well ... and honesty isn't all that accurate IMO. Even members of his home town press have recognized he has serious deficiencies ...

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/top-5-things-kaepernick-well-2/

That said, here is a report that backs up the claim of what the host was saying. Looks like several around the league hold that same opinion ...

Rival DC: Colin Kaepernick a "Nightmare" in Chip Kelly's system

As I said, I remain a skeptic. I've got to see it to believe it. As I said, we'll see.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kelly's system needs a QB that can think quickly, Kaep's problem isn't that he is stupid, or lacking athletic ability, he doesn't process information fast and have that become action. That's why I don't think he will thrive, it's also why Gabbert looked better.

rideaducati

Reaction score
chris98251":26jmoveb said:
Kelly's system needs a QB that can think quickly, Kaep's problem isn't that he is stupid, or lacking athletic ability, he doesn't process information fast and have that become action. That's why I don't think he will thrive, it's also why Gabbert looked better.

I don't think Kelly's system needs a QB to process too much information very quickly. The pass game is mostly done before the snap and the read option isn't very difficult. The issues Kaepernick has are accuracy and touch on his passes to moving targets. Combine those issues with his poor footwork and throwing motion and the pass game will be almost non existent...but then again, Carolina has done pretty well with their pedestrian pass offense. The niner defense is nowhere near good enough to help the niner offense as much as it will need to.

I think Gabbert will be a much better QB in Kelly's system than Kaepernick could ever hope to be. Gabbert is accurate, has touch and a pro QB delivery.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1hrc0wac said:
I was listening to a national sports radio show today (think it was JT "the Brick" at that point. It was just what happened to be on) ... and the host had some extremely interesting comments about Kaepernick. He said that he had talked to several GM's around the league ... and the prevailing opinion is that Kaepernick is going to be a BIG TIME hit in Chip Kelly's system. He went on to add that they felt that these fellow GM's wouldn't be surprised if Trent Baalke ends up with Executive of the Year next season. They believe Kaepernick is going to be that big of a hit. Keep in mind that wasn't the host's opinion -- he reiterated that is the opinion of several current GM's around the league. Take that FWIW. We'll see.

Yeah, I've read a few reports of that. Some GMs dreading facing it and refering to it as "Freddy Kruger"..IE, a Nightmare.

Personally, I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think Kap is anywhere near as bad at reading defenses as many let on, but I do think the changes to the offense and the constant harping to beome the type of player he will never be has got him thinking, not playing and is paralizing him.

When he stared playing in 2012 he was just wingin' it. He was just reacting. Roman/Harbaugh protected him greatly by giving him defined looks, a powerful run game, and ran tons of play action.

He looked crazy good at times. Defenses of course have adjusted as did the 49ers offense, but the talent and the scheme changed dramatically in the years that foillowed. Roman kept trying to make Kap into a pocket passer as did Chryst last year. Kap kept trying to make that transition but IMO all it really did was eliminate what he was really good at. In essence, I kinda think the Niners ruined him. He bears a BIG part of the resppnsibility with his play, but I don't think the coaches or loss of personnel did him any favors.

So now the question is can he be "rebuilt". Maybe? I dunno. Kelly might be among the only guys who can do it, but I'm not convinced. I am interested though in seeing what he could do with Kap, but I'm not nearly as positiveabout the prospects as those GMs.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":1zej8h27 said:

Maybe...but I dunno if its that he's not processing or that he doesn't trust what he sees and has become crippled with fear of the turnover.

Thats pretty much what happened to Alex Smith.

Kap didn't play badly against the Vikings last year, actually looked pretty decent in Pitt while the D was getting shredded...

...but he was never the same after those INTS early against the Cardinals. Its like he was shell-shocked. All of the sudden he was doing things he'd never done like throwing the ball into the ground 3 feet in front of a RB and airmailing passes 10 feet over guys heads.

I'm not saying he was ever uber-accurate, but in 2012 he was the highest rated passer in the NFL on passes over 20 yards. He was deadly on those mid range darts.

Last year, he seemed totally unwilling to make those throws because he didn't trust his eyes anymore.

Dunno if that can be fixed.

NINEster

Reaction score
rideaducati":3npoe94e said:
chris98251":3npoe94e said:

I don't think Kelly's system needs a QB to process too much information very quickly. The pass game is mostly done before the snap and the read option isn't very difficult. The issues Kaepernick has are accuracy and touch on his passes to moving targets. Combine those issues with his poor footwork and throwing motion and the pass game will be almost non existent...but then again, Carolina has done pretty well with their pedestrian pass offense. The niner defense is nowhere near good enough to help the niner offense as much as it will need to.

I think Gabbert will be a much better QB in Kelly's system than Kaepernick could ever hope to be. Gabbert is accurate, has touch and a pro QB delivery.

I'd say the same things about Gabbert compared to Russell Wilson. It ain't just Kap, or Cam either.

That first round pedigree wasn't a fluke.

If Gabbert or Jake Locker had a top 5 defense in his rookie year, me thinks he wouldn't have been seen as garbage.

Now the difference here is building an offense around a QB's skillset. From what I've seen the last few years, I'd rank it like this:

1) Shannahan & RG3
2) Shula & Cam
3) Roman & Kap (pre 2014)
4) Bevell & Wilson (pre 2014)

I'd switch 3 and 4 for the last two seasons.

Shula & Cam might even be #1, when you consider how long Cam has been in the league versus a rookie Griffin.

If Cam Newton was forced to play a true pro offense that didn't have wishbone and zone read elements, he wouldn't be as good as he is now. Same with Wilson.

You guys want to keep believing that there is drastic differences between these mobile QBs?

Let me tell you a fact about every young mobile QB:

None could possibly throw 40 times a game consistently without a great running game and win like some of the real elites can.

None.

It's ok, no shame in that, but I think the year Wilson and Cam had made people believe these guys are suddenly throwing monsters.

They're not. Not yet at least.

I'm not seeing it. There isn't much difference between Eli , Ben, and Philip despite the noticeable difference in postseason success.

Lithium

Reaction score
NINEster":489x5gkd said:
Let me tell you a fact about every young mobile QB:

None could possibly throw 40 times a game consistently without a great running game and win like some of the real elites can.

None.

It's ok, no shame in that, but I think the year Wilson and Cam had made people believe these guys are suddenly throwing monsters.

They're not. Not yet at least.

I'm not seeing it. There isn't much difference between Eli , Ben, and Philip despite the noticeable difference in postseason success.

Haha, Wilson can be a throwing monster if we let him loose....when he HAS to in games he usually does. He has some rough games just like Rogers, Eli, Rivers and the other "elites" do, but if he threw the same amount he'd put up the same numbers, or better. There is no doubt about that. Seattle run game was pretty average this year, and what do ya know Wilson had his best statistical season. Not to mention a bottom five o-line.

I wish we let him throw 40 times a game this year, we'd still be playing.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think you need quoting feature lessons, that's not my post and or quote

Lithium

Reaction score
chris98251":3mcjzky2 said:
I think you need quoting feature lessons, that's not my post and or quote

hows that for ya. god forbid someone makes a mistake on here.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Cyrus12":387oeirl said:
Has he parted ways yet like the title suggests?? Usually don't follow back up QBs...

No, Chip Kelly is going to scare the whole league and make him a pro bowler as a starter again in his surefire superbowl winning system. We have no chance at all next year, no one does, the 49ers will be guaranteed undefeated and Kraepernick will throw for 8000 yards with an 85% completion ratio with 80 TDs 3 INTS and rush for 1800 yards. Kraepernick will carry the whole team inside his gigantic nose!

Actually I think he'll suck as bad as ever but 49er fans seem sure he's once again destined for greatness.

rlkats

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":1se1i6o8 said:
Cyrus12":1se1i6o8 said:
Has he parted ways yet like the title suggests?? Usually don't follow back up QBs...

No, Chip Kelly is going to scare the whole league and make him a pro bowler as a starter again in his surefire superbowl winning system. We have no chance at all next year, no one does, the 49ers will be guaranteed undefeated and Kraepernick will throw for 8000 yards with an 85% completion ratio with 80 TDs 3 INTS and rush for 1800 yards. Kraepernick will carry the whole team inside his gigantic nose!

Actually I think he'll suck as bad as ever but 49er fans seem sure he's once again destined for greatness.

Your statement of SARCASM is very off. Not all Niners fans belive that Kap is on his way back to greatness. In fact whe he was winning I ALWAYS felt that Kap was ans is a one trick pony that needs to develope more just to be a serviceable QB. I dont like Kap never have.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rlkats":tmj66trd said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":tmj66trd said:
Cyrus12":tmj66trd said:

Your statement of SARCASM is very off. Not all Niners fans belive that Kap is on his way back to greatness. In fact whe he was winning I ALWAYS felt that Kap was ans is a one trick pony that needs to develope more just to be a serviceable QB. I dont like Kap never have.

Yeah...most of the fan opinions that I get on Kap very from "hrmm...I'd like to see what Kelly can do with him" to "Get rid of him. He's a bum".

It seems the media and some opposing GMs have confidense that Kelly can fix Kap, but not the fans. Thats my experience anyway.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Marvin,

Where do you see the "some opposing GMs" comments regarding Kaep and Chip? Just curious. Would be very interesting if GMs were making comments, either pro or negative, in regards to a situation not linked directly to their team.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Marvin49":1kplozvs said:
rlkats":1kplozvs said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":1kplozvs said:
Cyrus12":1kplozvs said:

Yeah...most of the fan opinions that I get on Kap very from "hrmm...I'd like to see what Kelly can do with him" to "Get rid of him. He's a bum".

It seems the media and some opposing GMs have confidense that Kelly can fix Kap, but not the fans. Thats my experience anyway.

The 9ers are going to pay Kap whether he is there or not. His injury clause made sure of that. I don't think all those injuries he suddenly found 2 weeks after being benched were a coincidence just like the delay of surgeries. His agent likely told him his best paycheck will be to play the Rodney Dangerfield Cady shack role of ohh my arm, it's broken.

Kelly will probably give Kap enough hope to declare himself healthy only to get cut right then and there. Otherwise Kap will probably milk the injuries out through his entire contract or an injury settlement by claiming he didn't heal correctly.

If Kap does actually get a chance to compete and gets beat out or benched I fully expect to see the Dangerfield act again.
I seriously doubt we ever see Kaep on the field in a 9er uniform again. Not even preseason.

It's now just a game of cat and mouse.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":31wyhu4d said:
Marvin,

Where do you see the "some opposing GMs" comments regarding Kaep and Chip? Just curious. Would be very interesting if GMs were making comments, either pro or negative, in regards to a situation not linked directly to their team.

Hawkscanner":31wyhu4d said:

and

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... dy-krueger

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3sgseck0 said:
Marvin49":3sgseck0 said:
rlkats":3sgseck0 said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":3sgseck0 said:

The 9ers are going to pay Kap whether he is there or not. His injury clause made sure of that. I don't think all those injuries he suddenly found 2 weeks after being benched were a coincidence just like the delay of surgeries. His agent likely told him his best paycheck will be to play the Rodney Dangerfield Cady shack role of ohh my arm, it's broken.

Kelly will probably give Kap enough hope to declare himself healthy only to get cut right then and there. Otherwise Kap will probably milk the injuries out through his entire contract or an injury settlement by claiming he didn't heal correctly.

If Kap does actually get a chance to compete and gets beat out or benched I fully expect to see the Dangerfield act again.
I seriously doubt we ever see Kaep on the field in a 9er uniform again. Not even preseason.

It's now just a game of cat and mouse.

Thats possible and I totally understand the thought process there, but it doesn't really mesh to me with the guy that signed a performance based "prove it every year" type contract in the first place.

I kinda think he'll get a real shot, but who really knows. The 49ers may not even know at this point.