Report: Seahawks only team interested in Sydney Rice.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2z4pejaz said:
Rice tore his ACL only five months ago. If I had to choose between signing Rice or signing FB Michael Robinson, I would sign Robinson. Robinson was healthy and playing good football in the last couple months of the season.

Difference is we have 2 young FB's on the roster. We don't have a big WR on the roster. I love MRob, but he isn't a position of need, he's a luxury. I believe he's still better than our other two FB's, but they should be progressing pretty well and MRob has other aspirations.

Rice fills a need we have for a big WR. a non guaranteed contract means we could bring him in with little to no risk. If he works out, then great, if he doesn't, then thanks for the memories.

Also, Rice is set to be cleared to play again in May. This is likely what's keeping his interest to a minimum. He currently can't pass a physical. If he truly can be cleared by May, that will leave plenty of offseason left to get in work with whatever team he lands on.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
During Rice's time as a Seahawk he combined for -37 Yards After Catch ..

no but seriously if its for Vet Min I wouldn't mind seeing him in a seahawks uniform . He has mastered the Sideline catch. but other then that he isn't worth much.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Rice being on the roster if he is healthy. His best days occurred with Harvin opposite and I think that the Hawks could arrange that. Obviously it would have to be a very low impact to the cap.

I also want at least one tall WR that can bring down the high ones. Not necessarily fast, but with good feet.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":xhki59fz said:
kidhawk":xhki59fz said:
NorthDallas40oz":xhki59fz said:
Missing_Clink":xhki59fz said:
Either he's not healthy yet or no one is interested in him at his current contract demands.
Or they simply realize that even when "healthy" he's a middling, broken-down-bodied receiver with nominal utility.

Who would want a receiver who only averages 15+ yards a carry over his time in Seattle?
Naw, that would be stupid especially given he will get the vet minimum. Basically the only reason there are haters on this board concerning him was his contract not his actual production. So sign him cheap and watch him outperform the contract and mentor a couple young guys in the bargain.

:th2thumbs:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":23jhiplb said:
I wouldn't mind Rice being on the roster if he is healthy. His best days occurred with Harvin opposite and I think that the Hawks could arrange that. Obviously it would have to be a very low impact to the cap.

I also want at least one tall WR that can bring down the high ones. Not necessarily fast, but with good feet.
That's why we draft somebody regardless. We need a redzone target that might draw coverage when important.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I have a feeling Jermaine Kearse is growing into a player who will grab the bull by the horns and put his stamp on the SE position. He really started to come into his own after Rice went down.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3hfv9tft said:
Considering he's a 6'4'' receiver who is only 27, and he averages 14.8 yards a reception, but is getting no interest?

My guess is that knee is probably in bad shape....

More than likely, he can run only at 75% of his former speed and he comes with a guaranteed "breakdown" clause in his contract!

Escamillo

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":57pym4lm said:
Considering he's a 6'4'' receiver who is only 27, and he averages 14.8 yards a reception, but is getting no interest?

My guess is that knee is probably in bad shape....

When the Seahawks released Rice, they did check the "failed to pass physical" checkbox. But I think that just represents his current state of health, and it doesn't necessarily mean that he won't be ready for next season. I think his rehab is ongoing.
Anyway, I'd like to have him back. He's a good receiver and looks like a great teammate, judging from what we've seen from him on the sidelines and in the locker room. Even though he couldn't participate in the games, you'd see him with a big smile and talking and high-fiving and whatnot with the other players, and in the locker room "huddles" during Carroll's speeches he's always right there in the middle, just as much a part of the team as if he were healthy and playing.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
It takes most players nine months to a year to recover from ACL tears. And wide receivers typically see a 1/3 dip in production once they return. If they sign him, he could miss half the year while getting up to speed.

"Knee pain, stiffness, loss of strength, deconditioning and reduced
proprioception (the sense of knowing where your leg is) may be factors
explaining the loss of production in players after an ACL injury, the
authors theorize. Further, ACL reconstruction does not perfectly recreate
the complex anatomy and composition of a person's ACL before injury."
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 63987.html

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":9c3jaud5 said:
It takes most players nine months to a year to recover from ACL tears. And wide receivers typically see a 1/3 dip in production once they return. If they sign him, he could miss half the year while getting up to speed.

"Knee pain, stiffness, loss of strength, deconditioning and reduced
proprioception (the sense of knowing where your leg is) may be factors
explaining the loss of production in players after an ACL injury, the
authors theorize. Further, ACL reconstruction does not perfectly recreate
the complex anatomy and composition of a person's ACL before injury."
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 63987.html

That is all well and good except we all know that each injury is different and each player heals differently. Rice has said that he expects to be cleared by doctors in May. That means he has from May until September to rebuild lost strength due to inactivity during the injury. If he was trying to come back directly mid season it would be much more of an issue. Since his recovery has him ready in the off season, that gives whatever team signing him, the chance to evaluate his abilities during the pre season with little to no risk, because if he's not good enough to earn a spot, he can be cut before a game is ever played.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
[youtube]ym_d6Jsvezs[/youtube]

I hope he recovers in time for the Hawks to take a good look at him and see if he's able to still play.

kearly

Reaction score
The Jets and Saints were both "interested" in Rice last month. The Jets might be out of the picture though after signing Decker.

Regardless, he's probably going to get a low cost 1 year deal. If he's smart, he'll go to the Saints. But maybe he feels a connection here and comes back. I would love to see Rice back on a low end 1 year deal.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
It's a shame we never got to see 2012 Sidney combined with Percy on the Hawks offense.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I wish he is healthy and we sign him. Really classy and clutch. He just need to stop falling on his knees.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1h50tu78 said:
loafoftatupu":1h50tu78 said:

That's why we draft somebody regardless. We need a redzone target that might draw coverage when important.

Time to move on, draft is full of WR options.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":2u9w29y8 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2u9w29y8 said:
loafoftatupu":2u9w29y8 said:

why does one exclude the other?

Carroll has made a championship program by bringing in player after player after player on short, cheap deals and seeing if they can offer anything. Many (most) dont and are sent on.

Whats the issue with doing the same thing with Rice?

Just a side note but while the Hawks were going through the end of the regular season and on through the playoffs Rice was all over the area making appearances, signing autographs and just being out there. He showed up at my brother's building the night they lit the windows to make the "12". I always thought it was a good reflection of him, knowing he cant play but still repping the team while everyone else prepared.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":x1iz4l8q said:
TorontoHawk":x1iz4l8q said:
MizzouHawkGal":x1iz4l8q said:
loafoftatupu":x1iz4l8q said:

why does one exclude the other?

Carroll has made a championship program by bringing in player after player after player on short, cheap deals and seeing if they can offer anything. Many (most) dont and are sent on.

Whats the issue with doing the same thing with Rice?

Just a side note but while the Hawks were going through the end of the regular season and on through the playoffs Rice was all over the area making appearances, signing autographs and just being out there. He showed up at my brother's building the night they lit the windows to make the "12". I always thought it was a good reflection of him, knowing he cant play but still repping the team while everyone else prepared.

Not saying he is not a good guy, signing autographs and making appearances is great but it does not win football games. Time to move on and say thanks and good luck, his knee is short he is not getting any younger, and WR crop looks good in the draft, if he was going to be on the Hawks he would have already agreed to restructure his deal. I am sure he might just walk if the money is not there. Liked him when he was here but let' the young guys get in there. Sometimes this place is a little to stuck on sentimental thoughts.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
How do we know what his knee is, or will be? and again, how does signing him preclude us from bringing in 800 other young WRs?

One does not have anything to do with the other. We can sign Rice if we want to, use every draft pick on a WR, use all of the allotted number of UFDAs on WR's then cut and paste where we want.

what does that have to do with "sentimental"? its business and the way this team has built itself. Wasnt sentimental when they signed then released Antoine Winfield last year