Report: Seahawks only team interested in Sydney Rice.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":33yffggo said:
How do we know what his knee is, or will be? and again, how does signing him preclude us from bringing in 800 other young WRs?

One does not have anything to do with the other. We can sign Rice if we want to, use every draft pick on a WR, use all of the allotted number of UFDAs on WR's then cut and paste where we want.

what does that have to do with "sentimental"? its business and the way this team has built itself. Wasnt sentimental when they signed then released Antoine Winfield last year

I sure if his knee was going to be fine he would have no issue getting interest from another team as he was a good WR when playing here when healthy. Winfield never played for the Hawks so not sure how that matters(and no way he had a shot at making this team with the players we have on D).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":2f7cgb1k said:
Uncle Si":2f7cgb1k said:
How do we know what his knee is, or will be? and again, how does signing him preclude us from bringing in 800 other young WRs?

One does not have anything to do with the other. We can sign Rice if we want to, use every draft pick on a WR, use all of the allotted number of UFDAs on WR's then cut and paste where we want.

what does that have to do with "sentimental"? its business and the way this team has built itself. Wasnt sentimental when they signed then released Antoine Winfield last year

I sure if his knee was going to be fine he would have no issue getting interest from another team as he was a good WR when playing here when healthy. Winfield never played for the Hawks so not sure how that matters(and no way he had a shot at making this team with the players we have on D).

you dont see the relevance between signing and then cutting Winfield and the potential of signing and either keeping or cutting Rice from a business perspective?

wasnt it just like 3-4 years ago when Carrol and JS made something like 140 roster moves before the season even kicked off? this is the kind of thing they do. I dont see Rice's situation as any different. if they get him cheap and his knee checks out, then sure. if they get him cheap, and his knees doesnt allow him to make the team, then move on.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1lpzbuzq said:
TorontoHawk":1lpzbuzq said:
Uncle Si":1lpzbuzq said:

you dont see the relevance between signing and then cutting Winfield and the potential of signing and either keeping or cutting Rice from a business perspective?

wasnt it just like 3-4 years ago when Carrol and JS made something like 140 roster moves before the season even kicked off? this is the kind of thing they do. I dont see Rice's situation as any different. if they get him cheap and his knee checks out, then sure. if they get him cheap, and his knees doesnt allow him to make the team, then move on.

Just don't think he comes cheap at all, Winfield did not play for the Hawks so little different situation. I am sure the Hawks know all about his knee and the progress, if he was five years younger I would say go for it, but an aging vet with a bad knee time to move on.

CANHawk

Reaction score
It doesn't make any sense for Rice to sign anywhere before the draft, nor does it make any sense for anyone to sign Rice before the draft. Teams are going to go into the draft expecting to bolster their receiving corps with a young stud, those teams who fail to get their young stud in the draft will be on the phone with Sid the day after the draft. Sid doesn't have any leverage right now and probably knows he has a vet minimum contract waiting for him in Seattle as a last resort, so why wouldn't he wait it out until after the draft to see if demand for his skills goes up?

No, this is the height of dead time as far as off season goes. Nobody's going to do anything now until after they see how the draft shakes out...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TorontoHawk":1go0edwy said:
Uncle Si":1go0edwy said:
TorontoHawk":1go0edwy said:
Uncle Si":1go0edwy said:

Just don't think he comes cheap at all, Winfield did not play for the Hawks so little different situation. I am sure the Hawks know all about his knee and the progress, if he was five years younger I would say go for it, but an aging vet with a bad knee time to move on.

Honestly price would dictate the validity of the move. If you think he wont be cheap, than i'd agree that there is no need to kick the tires (gently, of course, as they may fall off the poor guy)

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":1jycfaaw said:
It doesn't make any sense for Rice to sign anywhere before the draft, nor does it make any sense for anyone to sign Rice before the draft. Teams are going to go into the draft expecting to bolster their receiving corps with a young stud, those teams who fail to get their young stud in the draft will be on the phone with Sid the day after the draft. Sid doesn't have any leverage right now and probably knows he has a vet minimum contract waiting for him in Seattle as a last resort, so why wouldn't he wait it out until after the draft to see if demand for his skills goes up?

No, this is the height of dead time as far as off season goes. Nobody's going to do anything now until after they see how the draft shakes out...

Good Point. I really don't think he comes back for a minimum, I think players that have made a good amount of money during there career and realize it is not worth the damage it could do to your body and your quality of life later on.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Despite reports of a loaded WR class in this draft, you never really know what teams are looking for.

Rice is likely waiting until after the draft to see if any teams have renewed interest.

Cartire

Reaction score
Why do people keep bringing up his age as a factor? He's 27. When did 27 become over the hill?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Just say good bye, and thanks for your service here. I'd not pay more than vet min, and then only if he can show up and play rather than live in the trainers room. Considering he's recovering from another knee injury that appears remote this season.

Sidney has been coddled his whole career in Minnie and here and if hired again would unfortunately likely find a way to be spending more time in the training room than producing.

He made enough playing only 53% of available time during his big contract here to retire and needs to retire. The Seahawks can find a better and ultimately more talented and likely way more healthy or more durable WR in this draft.

Hawks46

Reaction score
volsunghawk":vf0k8s7p said:
Cartire":vf0k8s7p said:
I wonder what type of psych damage would occur to play for the same team again one a vet minimum when you were suppose to collect $9 mil. Would the same drive to be the best still be present, or would we get a bare-minimum version?

Rice has never struck me as a stupid person, and I think he's probably familiar with the league enough that his being released wasn't any sort of surprise. The money dictated it would happen. As for his drive, if we're the only team showing interest, then he can use that as motivation to prove all the other teams wrong.

Rice has been around long enough..these players understand the business side of it. It's why they hold out for the maximum they can get. When they aren't producing, they know they could get cut, traded or asked to restructure. I don't pretend to know what's in Rice's head, but he got his big contract he wanted, then he was hurt all the time. He was still paid a lot to be injured quite a bit, so he got his money.

If I was an athlete and I worked hard to get to the top, then got hurt and watched my team finally make it and win it all, I'd want to come back next year and contribute to the same thing. Winning a SB has to be so much better from on the field. What better place to prove it than here ?

As for his on the field contributions, if he comes back healthy, he'll still have an impact. His chemistry with Wilson, clutch sideline catches and bigger performances usually come when we really need them.

seahawksny

Reaction score
with a healthy Harvin, there is no telling how much will open up for the rest of the receiving corp
Sign him to league minimum and see if he can still play

Basis4day

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3hp0mz41 said:
Just say good bye, and thanks for your service here. I'd not pay more than vet min, and then only if he can show up and play rather than live in the trainers room. Considering he's recovering from another knee injury that appears remote this season.

Sidney has been coddled his whole career in Minnie and here and if hired again would unfortunately likely find a way to be spending more time in the training room than producing.

He made enough playing only 53% of available time during his big contract here to retire and needs to retire. The Seahawks can find a better and ultimately more talented and likely way more healthy or more durable WR in this draft.

There is a lot of hyperbole in your statement.

How is being placed on IR in 2011 because of multiple concussions being coddled by the Seahawks?
How is being placed on IR in 2013 because of a torn ACL being coddled by the Seahawks?
How is playing all 16 (Plus two playoff) games in 2012 being coddled? Did you forget his game winning TDs against the Bears (With a hell of a shot to the head to boot) and Patriots?

I don't really care either way whether or not he is brought back next year, but i'm not going to pretend he didn't matter while he was here.

If you want to be upset by his contract in hindsight i'm all for it, but don't pretend that Rice was some stereotypical diva wide receiver during his time with the hawks.

sutz

Reaction score
With the outcome of his latest knee surgery still somewhat pending, it seems unlikely he'll get any real interest for a few more months.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing him back, but we don't have a lot of cap room left, with our pending big 3 contracts. If we could get him in with a NLTBE incentive plan of some sort, it would be nice. Hell, we hung onto Harvin for basically 2 games of performance last year, and I think most would say it was worth it, though it looks like we could have won the SB without him.

Reaction score
jammerhawk":fr90o5t8 said:
...I don't really care either way whether or not he is brought back next year, but i'm not going to pretend he didn't matter while he was here.

If you want to be upset by his contract in hindsight i'm all for it, but don't pretend that Rice was some stereotypical diva wide receiver during his time with the hawks.
What he said!
We can only hope that ADB can/will carry the "tippy-toe side-line catch" torch.

Go Hawks,
BillA

olyfan63

Reaction score
Bill Assumpcao":kaf7ot9h said:
We can only hope that ADB can/will carry the "tippy-toe side-line catch" torch.
Go Hawks,
BillA

ADB already did. Baldwin was THE sideline catch king this season.
Are you kidding me? Just re-watch this. [youtube]6hLdEYXGDck[/youtube]
Made me forget that Rice ever specialized in them too.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Two words, "China Doll".

Sydney doesn't appear to be a bad guy but talk about not being able to stay healthy and that is a complete deal breaker,, IMO.

If he would sign a veteran minimum deal, that would be acceptable, but not much past that.

Sydney, good luck regardless, when your healthy you are money.

GO HAWKS!!!

CANHawk

Reaction score
Lotta hateraide going on here. Sidney's a great guy and a great player. He had some unfortunate injuries while he was here, but to act like he was garbage when he did play is LOLable. Sid was awesome for us. Even last year playing on an obviously bad knee he still make some nice plays. I hope he can get back up to where he was and shut a lot of people up. Hopefully he's doing it for us.

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
He's going to have to sign a prove it deal somewhere. It might as well be here. Here's to him proving it, it could only help us. :thirishdrinkers: