RolandDeschain

Reaction score

Laloosh

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2apo0zea said:
Popeyejones":2apo0zea said:
Long ESPN profile of Harbaugh.

Teaser:

"His talent at turning losers into winners is matched only by his propensity to piss off people in the process."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11625 ... difficulty
LOL @ what he said to Peyton. Wow. Yeah, if the 49ers don't make it to the NFCCG this year, I'm thinking there's a decent chance he's gone.

Good Lord...

There's a late-night bar story told in NFL circles about Peyton Manning's free-agent visit with the 49ers in 2012. Harbaugh and Manning were throwing the ball, so it goes, when the coach couldn't help but remark that his passes had more mustard on them than the still-rehabbing future Hall of Famer's did. You can guess how that went over.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Laloosh":q5dpvcrl said:
There's a late-night bar story told in NFL circles about Peyton Manning's free-agent visit with the 49ers in 2012. Harbaugh and Manning were throwing the ball, so it goes, when the coach couldn't help but remark that his passes had more mustard on them than the still-rehabbing future Hall of Famer's did. You can guess how that went over.

Congratulations, yes, that was the part I was referring to. :)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Harbafreak has cracked me up for years. I truly don't think he wants to be an ass, but dude has had that same look on his face since he was a QB at Chicago.

He actually won the QB skills competition one year at the pro bowl. Very entertaining back then.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Unreliable idiot internet tweeter no one's ever heard of aside, I do think Harbaugh is out after this year regardless of how well the Niners do.

Everyone involved can say all the right things about all these rumors, but where there's smoke there's fire. There's a reason Harbaugh hasn't got the extension he wanted, and it's because Baalke and York don't want to give him one.

Anytime there's a GM vs head coach dynamic going on, most owner's go with the GM, because a really good GM is much harder to find, and Baalke's a really good GM.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Honestly...at this point....all reports seem to sound like he'll be out after the season....

...which is why I think he'll sign a long term extension. LOL.

Its nearly impossible to pin Harbaugh down on what he's gonna do and it seems he will always do the thing you don't expect him to.

Don't get me wrong...I love Harbaugh as a coach and I'd like him to stay...but at this point the constant "will he stay or will he go" is tiresome. It started BEFORE he was hired and has never really stopped. Miami, Michigan, Cleveland...always rumors. Along with the new stadium and current roster, Harbaugh as turned this job into a destination again....so there aren't too many guys they couldn't get to coach the team.

Gruden? Cowher? Shaw?

Possible none of those guys CAN be lured into an NFL coaching job...but if they were....SF would be a prime spot.

Harbaugh traded to Oakland and Niners bring in Gruden? Who knows. Lots of possibilities. I'd put my money tho on Niners staying in-house.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marvin49":1farcey0 said:
Possible none of those guys CAN be lured into an NFL coaching job...but if they were....SF would be a prime spot..

Absolutely, that's why I think Niners fans have blinders on for thinking that they NEED Harbaugh to stay in order to remain competitive.

Like I said Baalke's a great GM, which is the hard part of the equation IMO. Obviously a good coach is needed, but there are more of those out there than really good GM's.

btw, no way in hell Harbaugh goes to a craphole like Oakland to be demoralized and ridiculed year after year losing right across from SF. Miami would be a good fit if he's staying in the NFL.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":386hg4o5 said:
Marvin49":386hg4o5 said:
Possible none of those guys CAN be lured into an NFL coaching job...but if they were....SF would be a prime spot..

Absolutely, that's why I think Niners fans have blinders on for thinking that they NEED Harbaugh to stay in order to remain competitive.

Like I said Baalke's a great GM, which is the hard part of the equation IMO. Obviously a good coach is needed, but there are more of those out there than really good GM's.

btw, no way in hell Harbaugh goes to a craphole like Oakland to be demoralized and ridiculed year after year losing right across from SF. Miami would be a good fit if he's staying in the NFL.

Oakland has its positives tho.

Yes...bad organization, bad stadium, etc, etc....

....but Harbaugh STARTED his coaching career there. Its also in the Bay Area and he may not want to uproot his family. Some think that was a big reason SF was attractive to him since he was coaching at Stanford.

What it would require from the Raiders is draft picks and $$$$$$$$. I dunno if Tommy Boy has the capitol to make it happen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marvin49":18ixlr1u said:
Sgt. Largent":18ixlr1u said:
Marvin49":18ixlr1u said:

Oakland used to have it's positives, but not anymore.........which is why it's now by far the least desirable city players would want to go to.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11405 ... m-play-for

If the Raiders ever want to get back to prominence an ownership change is vital. I know everyone waxes poetic about the Davis family, but they haven't managed that team well in 20 years, and Mark Davis isn't fit to hire competent people. He can't even fire Reggie McKenzie..............why? Cause he's an old Raider?

Which is why I don't think Harbaugh would ever want to go through that nightmare of a rebuilding process. Unless he's given FULL GM and coach powers........and would he even be a good GM?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":23kghn98 said:
Marvin49":23kghn98 said:
Sgt. Largent":23kghn98 said:
Marvin49":23kghn98 said:

Oakland used to have it's positives, but not anymore.........which is why it's now by far the least desirable city players would want to go to.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11405 ... m-play-for

If the Raiders ever want to get back to prominence an ownership change is vital. I know everyone waxes poetic about the Davis family, but they haven't managed that team well in 20 years, and Mark Davis isn't fit to hire competent people. He can't even fire Reggie McKenzie..............why? Cause he's an old Raider?

Which is why I don't think Harbaugh would ever want to go through that nightmare of a rebuilding process. Unless he's given FULL GM and coach powers........and would he even be a good GM?

Honesly, I don't think Harbaugh WANTS to be the GM. He wants to COACH.

Yes...Oakland is a hole...which is why Davis needs to make a big splash. Harbaugh would be that.

I see the problems....but Oakland might be desperate enough offer the moon.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":100ta5s0 said:
Gruden? Cowher? Shaw?

Possible none of those guys CAN be lured into an NFL coaching job...but if they were....SF would be a prime spot.

Harbaugh traded to Oakland and Niners bring in Gruden? Who knows. Lots of possibilities. I'd put my money tho on Niners staying in-house.

GRUDEN:
1) Gruden's problem with the Radiers and Bucs was fighting with management. The 9ers org is probably too gun shy about this particular issue to head down this road.

2) If Gruden ever came back he's want GM control, and the 9ers have been too successful to can both Harbaugh and Baalke.

COWHER:

1) Eight years out of the NFL, and now almost 60. If he was going to come back it would have happened by now.

2) The 9ers gave too much money to Kaepernick, and he's still developing too much, to hire a defensive Head Coach who is coming from an entirely different coaching tree. Cowher wouldn't be coming in and just leaving Roman or Fangio in place (assuming either or both of them stayed).

SHAW:

1) Dream candidate, but might be the only college coach who sincerely is happy where he is and doesn't want to leave for the NFL (already turned down the HC gig from the Redskins, for instance).

2) If he does want to coach in the NFL, he'll be the #1 candidate for many teams, not just two as was the case with Harbaugh.

IN-HOUSE:

1) Despite these problems the 9ers have been successful, and there is a good argument to be made for continuity.

2) If this is about power only an internal candidate would allow Baalke (or Baalke + Paraag, or Baalke + Paraag + Jed) to solidify his/their power. Tomsula is a candidate because he's well liked by everybody. Well, okay. Do you want you head coach to be well liked by everybody? You definitely do if your suits are trying to solidify and consolidate their power within an organization?

3) If this is about money an internal candidate is going to be the cheapest. Again, Tomsula is going to be cheaper than any other possible option.

OVERALL: I suspect if Harbaugh is gone they're going to promote Tomsula. I like the guy, but I DON'T think that's a good sign for the future of the 49ers.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
IF Harbaugh goes I hope you get your "dream" candidate in David Shaw.

Most overrated coach in college football.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
If Harbs goes, Go after Sumlin from A&M or Brian Kelly from ND. Give Harbs his extension!

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2dx11qsa said:
...but It's not entirely dissimilar from Golden Tate talking sideways about the Hawks a little bit as soon as he figured out that his way below market offer was the best he was going to get from them.
Golden felt disrespected but he never singled out his head coach as the source of the turmoil.

HawkWow":2dx11qsa said:
Pete has players that are young enough, and smart enough, to actually want to learn while fully understanding the concept of team. An oddity in today's rich and coddled NFL.
I don't disagree with the pro v college sentiment. And it's true that Pete and John selected guys with the right profile. But it's the premium that Pete puts on the whole person and the man-to-man relationship that develops these "young enough, smart enough" guys. The "rich and spoiled NFL player" thing would be less of a thing with more PC's around the league, IMHO. For me, the dividing line is the "because I said so" response. Anyone who uses that line to defend their actions/decisions loses credibility, even a professional head coach. If he can't understand that the value in his ideas is in how he communicates them to others, he will fail. Harbaugh comes across as having that "because I said so" reasoning half-tucked in his khakis' back pocket ready to throw at any perceived interference like a challenge flag.

TeamoftheCentury":2dx11qsa said:
It's painful watching the interview when he's being questioned about all this. I sort of feel sorry for him. I don't know why, but I feel compassion toward the guy all of the sudden. How many of you would want all this said about you publicly?
Nobody would like it. But what if his discomfort over having to talk about strained relationships within the organization derives from it being true? Every team hits rough spots, but those that are truly tight-knit keep it together en route to better days. If the soldiers and officers are grumbling, maybe the general should have worked smarter to keep things in order. It is uncomfortable to see, but I don't feel sorry for people who reap what they sow.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/518773758296080384[/tweet]

Adam Schefter":4l3e062b said:
There’s a reason Jim Harbaugh was called Captain Comeback. This team needs to come back. But it’s also interesting that today’s matchup, with 49ers in a state of chaos, comes against Chiefs QB Alex Smith, the man at the root of some of San Francisco’s issues. Team sources believe Harbaugh began to lose some of his players when he was not honest with Smith about San Francisco’s pursuit of former Colts quarterback Peyton Mannng. Smith specifically asked Harbaugh about it and did not get an answer that matched the facts of the situation, in which Harbaugh flew to North Carolina to meet and work out Manning. As one team source said, “that was the first big sign to the players that they couldn’t trust Jim.” Now Harbaugh will have to help turn back Smith, who some in the organization believe is at the root of when things started to sour between Harbaugh and his players.

:snack:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
My prediction is it will happen and Marvin will be blindsided and stunned by the news. Also, his "approved reporters list" in an angry huff will be reduced to one. 8)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Now Glazer is a source. Eskin is not. But Glazer has major clout.

Basically this story is akin to that Sheridan guy that "broke" LeBron to Cleveland.. and by break I mean, he just said "f it, I'll report LeBron to Cleveland and hope I'm right"

Hope Alex Smith has the game of his life today to just stoke those flames some more :lol:

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Interesting passage here:

When Harbaugh arrived in San Francisco, the word on the street was that his ego was out of control, that he was trying to take over the building. Turns out, it wasn't true. Harbaugh's ongoing tension with management proves just how narrow his power truly is. He doesn't pick players or manage the salary cap. He coaches. It's easy to see how someone who, as his friend Willie Taggart, the head coach at the University of South Florida, says, "always believes he's right," would chafe at staying in his lane -- and anyone who has witnessed his sideline tantrums can imagine how he handles not getting his way. But there are a lot of agendas in the building and a lot of jealousies over who should receive credit for the wins and who should be to blame for having not yet won a Super Bowl. More than the "disease of me," the franchise suffers from the "disease of almost."

Most of the problems with the 49ers franchise right now are being laid at Jim Harbaugh's door, but if the bolded selection is true, the Niners have more problems than Harbaugh's lousy personality. And if they force Harbaugh out they could easily find themselves regretting it, especially if they hand the reins over to an internal candidate like Tomsula and he struggles.

Personally I hope Harbaugh stays. This rivalry will never be the same without him, and a good villain like Harbs always makes things more interesting.