Rest 'Em or Start 'Em?

Should the Seahawks rest their starters or play them in Arizona?

• Start them and let them play the entire game for momentum.

Votes: 46 43.8%
  • Start them but only for a couple series or so.

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • Rest them. No need to risk injuries to our starters before the playoffs.

Votes: 23 21.9%

• Total voters

LymonHawk

Reaction score
If we believe our mantra of, "Every Sunday is a Championship Game," how do we rest people who aren't injured?

Another thing: In a previous life when I played lots of ball, the guys who were afraid of getting hurt were usually the ones who got hurt. Just sayin'.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
The "momentum" that would be created will be overwhelmingly negative if the Cards go all-out to win that game. If they do that, they will crush the Hawks even if the Hawks' starters are playing. They are so vastly superior right now its not even funny. The Hawks should use this week as a bye since they won't get one in the first round of the playoffs, and go into the wildcard round as healthy and fresh as possible.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2lnj85xv said:
The "momentum" that would be created will be overwhelmingly negative if the Cards go all-out to win that game. If they do that, they will crush the Hawks even if the Hawks' starters are playing. They are so vastly superior right now its not even funny. The Hawks should use this week as a bye since they won't get one in the first round of the playoffs, and go into the wildcard round as healthy and fresh as possible.

While I do believe the Cards are a deeper more dangerous team right now, I don't agree that they're "vastly" superior.

History shows these two teams (as with most divisional games with two good teams) will again be a close game.

The Cards haven't blown us out in forever, and I don't expect them to Sunday, even if both teams play their full compliment of starters.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
samwize77":2apen2ip said:
I'll trust in what PC ends up doing. But for me, I'd play them for a few series and then sit 'em. When Russ got blasted and came up limping I was like "there we go". I absolutely would rather rest the guys that are "dinged" and get them ready as possible for the playoffs. Its a game we very likely wouldn't win anyhow. Risk vs reward thing.
That's exactly how I voted in the pole.
In the grand scheme of things, you exercise Prudence....Why take unneeded risks of further injuring your KEY players in a TRULY MEANINGLESS GAME.
The goal was to get into the Playoffs, that's already been accomplished.
It's not playing scared, it's saving the best for games that mean something.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Man, let me tell you that I am completely torn about this game. Coming in to this season, I never really had a read on this upcoming game ... and after Sunday I certainly don't have any true read of it now. Coming in to the Rams game, I would have said that the Cardinals game truly didn’t matter because it seemed like a foregone conclusion that the Seahawks were going to knock them off and lock up the #5 Seed.

The Hawks loss to the Rams definitely has put a wrench in things. Couple that with Carolina’s loss and all of a sudden this game matters to both the Seahawks and the Cardinals now. What needs to be factored in to this conversation is the fact that the Panthers loss has now cracked opened the door for the Cardinals to be the one to grab the #1 Seed. The Panther-Bucs game starts at the exact same time as the Hawks-Cards game, so the possibility now exists that the Arians and the Cardinals could actually see this Sunday as an important game for them as well.

As far as playoff seeding is concerned, it could actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise to end up as the #6 Seed. So from that standpoint, I get why a loss may not be a big deal.

And I understand all about the need to rest guys – that you don’t want to get them hurt for the playoffs, etc.

And I understand that in the true scheme of things that a win or a loss Sunday may not truly matter in the grand scheme of things. I get all that.

At the same time though, with the way this team played this past week this FEELS to me like a must win for the Hawks. They were thoroughly embarrassed this past week – and at home no less. That can’t sit well with this crew.

Momentum and confidence is everything in this league – especially heading in to the playoffs.

To me, looking at this 2015 Cardinals team – I see them as what we were 2 years ago. Like the Rams, they came in to our home and beat us back in Week 10. If I’m a Seahawks player, that has to still sting quite a bit. For me, this game is about re-establishing who is King of the Mountain in the division.

Not only that, the real possibility (actually probability) exists that the Seahawks and the Cardinals could end up being the last 2 NFC Teams standing – that they could end up battling it out for the right to go to the Super Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium 4 weeks from now. Two losses in a row to this Cardinals team isn’t something that the Seahawks are going to want to carry with them in to that game.

That’s why from a purely psychological standpoint, I don’t see Pete Carroll and the Seahawks treating this like a Preseason game whatsoever. I see this as a game that the Hawks will want badly and that they will plan to fight. I totally believe in the idea of statement games and believe that the Hawks (especially in light of everything I mentioned above) are going to want to make one. So no, I don’t believe Pete believes in the whole resting guys scenario. I actually think he’s more of a believer in what I’m talking about, so I fully believe he’s going to look to have his guys raring to go ALL OUT this Sunday. I don’t think he knows any other way (unless we’re up by 21 points with 8 minutes to go, that is).

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2anp5lnz said:
Man, let me tell you that I am completely torn about this game. Coming in to this season, I never really had a read on this upcoming game ... and after Sunday I certainly don't have any true read of it now. Coming in to the Rams game, I would have said that the Cardinals game truly didn’t matter because it seemed like a foregone conclusion that the Seahawks were going to knock them off and lock up the #5 Seed.

The Hawks loss to the Rams definitely has put a wrench in things. Couple that with Carolina’s loss and all of a sudden this game matters to both the Seahawks and the Cardinals now. What needs to be factored in to this conversation is the fact that the Panthers loss has now cracked opened the door for the Cardinals to be the one to grab the #1 Seed. The Panther-Bucs game starts at the exact same time as the Hawks-Cards game, so the possibility now exists that the Arians and the Cardinals could actually see this Sunday as an important game for them as well.

As far as playoff seeding is concerned, it could actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise to end up as the #6 Seed. So from that standpoint, I get why a loss may not be a big deal.

And I understand all about the need to rest guys – that you don’t want to get them hurt for the playoffs, etc.

And I understand that in the true scheme of things that a win or a loss Sunday may not truly matter in the grand scheme of things. I get all that.

At the same time though, with the way this team played this past week this FEELS to me like a must win for the Hawks. They were thoroughly embarrassed this past week – and at home no less. That can’t sit well with this crew.

Momentum and confidence is everything in this league – especially heading in to the playoffs.

To me, looking at this 2015 Cardinals team – I see them as what we were 2 years ago. Like the Rams, they came in to our home and beat us back in Week 10. If I’m a Seahawks player, that has to still sting quite a bit. For me, this game is about re-establishing who is King of the Mountain in the division.

Not only that, the real possibility (actually probability) exists that the Seahawks and the Cardinals could end up being the last 2 NFC Teams standing – that they could end up battling it out for the right to go to the Super Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium 4 weeks from now. Two losses in a row to this Cardinals team isn’t something that the Seahawks are going to want to carry with them in to that game.

That’s why from a purely psychological standpoint, I don’t see Pete Carroll and the Seahawks treating this like a Preseason game whatsoever. I see this as a game that the Hawks will want badly and that they will plan to fight. I totally believe in the idea of statement games and believe that the Hawks (especially in light of everything I mentioned above) are going to want to make one. So no, I don’t believe Pete believes in the whole resting guys scenario. I actually think he’s more of a believer in what I’m talking about, so I fully believe he’s going to look to have his guys raring to go ALL OUT this Sunday. I don’t think he knows any other way (unless we’re up by 21 points with 8 minutes to go, that is).
So.... risk it, and go all out?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2vsw8z38 said:

Don't fall into the trap of reading too much into one game or another.

A week or three ago, we were all confident after AZ squeaked one out against Minnesota.

4 days ago Seattle, AZ and Carolina were all considered co-favorites for the NFC.

Now we cant compete with AZ? Cmon.

I dont see the Patriots and Panthers being eliminated from Super Bowl talk due to their uninspiring losses last weekend, Seattle is no different.

Let Ringless and company believe we are less dangerous, all the better come January.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":b8guo264 said:
If we believe our mantra of, "Every Sunday is a Championship Game," how do we rest people who aren't injured?

Another thing: In a previous life when I played lots of ball, the guys who were afraid of getting hurt were usually the ones who got hurt. Just sayin'.

I too remember this!

I also think the wounded that are healing are going to be targets, especially in Arizona, we may meet again. I believe we need to use the healing ones very carefully but give them some reps.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
scutterhawk":igpd5pk2 said:
Hawkscanner":igpd5pk2 said:

So.... risk it, and go all out?

That's not exactly what I'm saying. What I'm trying to counter is the idea that this game somehow doesn't matter. I believe it most certainly does matter both to the coaching staff and to the players. It's important to win and winning matters.

Now that said, for guys who are legitimately hurt -- absolutely rest those guys. I'm not advocating stupidity here ... and we've seen this organization be very cautious when it comes to how they handle player injuries (as they should be). They handle that just fine IMO. The answer on whether or not to rest a guy or not I would say depends on the severity of the injury. Let the doctors, trainers, and professionals in combination with the players themselves make that determination. Bottom line.

So no, resting players who are legitimately hurt -- that's a completely different matter. I'm just saying that I believe there are more reasons to play TO WIN than not to for this team this Sunday.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Seahawks DL and OL got plenty of rest over the weekend considering neither showed up last Sunday....play 'em.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Just to stir the pot a bit, considering we could only totally rest 8 players, just which 8 do you choose? I can totally understand limiting RW a bit, perhaps sit Baldwin etc who are fighting off stuff.

Do we actually limit say Bennett and Avrils snaps and give more to Clark and Marsh? Do you at least pull Sherm and Thomas off special teams?

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I say play everybody for the whole game, but keep a heavy rotation going. Keep everyone's snaps around 50%, maybe change it up every other drive. Anyone who has a nagging injury or has a reason to rest should be rested.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":36cn4ian said:
Missing_Clink":36cn4ian said:

While I do believe the Cards are a deeper more dangerous team right now, I don't agree that they're "vastly" superior.

History shows these two teams (as with most divisional games with two good teams) will again be a close game.

The Cards haven't blown us out in forever, and I don't expect them to Sunday, even if both teams play their full compliment of starters.
How are the Cards deeper?I mean Ringless probaly needs to answer this but I know they have lost a lot of players as we have.To the subject-Play to win and not be flat for the playoffs.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1tacgy5a said:
You know I'm so inspired by this..Vastly superior :pukeface:

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
A lot of excellent viewpoints raised and I feel I already know how Pete and the team is approaching this game but I stand by my thought that you rest your stars in this one. If something were to happen to Russ in this game I bet you there isn't a single Seahawks fan who would not regret the notion of resting your starters in a meaningless game.

And yes, this is a meaningless game in the grand scheme of things. Oh sure I get the whole psychological aspect which was very well stated by Hawkscanner but 9-7 or 10-6 doesn't change the fact that we are already guaranteed a playoff spot, and count me as one that really doesn't think there's an advantage having the 5th seed over the 6th.

Win the playoffs hit, everyone is 0-0.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I lean toward the arguments Hawkscanner makes in that this game does mean something from a psychological standpoint. Last time we were in that building, we also came away with a rather empty feeling. I'd like to make that go away and take that momentum into the playoffs. Just my thoughts.

naholmes

Reaction score
They should play to win the #5 seed. It's not just about facing the Deadskins who are the weakest playoff team and haven't beaten a team with a winning record all season. It's also about going to Carolina in round 2, who are a better matchup for the Seahawks. And then there is also a slight chance of hosting the NFCCG, which might be a longshot but infinitely better than zero with the #6 seed.

Jiggy

Reaction score
Lynch out, Bennett questionable to play, Okung hurt, Kam hurt, Baldwin WAS questionable last week, Wilson got knocked around A LOT and tweaked his knee.

The Carolina game has been moved to the afternoon game so now the Cards WON'T know if they have a shot @ the 1 seed. They will be coming with an extra bit of vengeance.

Not only are injuries a major concern this week. But if Arizona just embarrasses Seattle's starters this weekend it will be a bad way to go into the playoffs.

I say play em a couple of series and then sit the key starters.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":1860bzpw said:
ringless":1860bzpw said:
Arians was asked about resting players this week and he had a good point.

The roster is only made up of 45 players or so on Gameday. Hard to rest players in that scenario.

PC said the same thing. That we play so many of our players, who could we possible rest? It's a media thing.

Think this pretty much ends the discussion

Latest posts