Ricardo Lockette Got Over SB 49 "Pretty Easily"

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Seemms like a lot of sour grapes here.

That play was more Butler than most people here want to believe. It’s like some here just can’t get past the fact that someone made a fantastic play against our Hawks.

Get over it. It was a great game that didn’t end in our favor. We got beat on a great play.

Chapow

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":gbs7sykf said:
Crap block from Kearse, an really WEAK effort to be aggressive by Lockett and a throw that was a little high.
ALL of them contributed, I can't see how this is somehow more on Russ than the others. :roll:

IMO, Butler deserves far more credit/blame than anyone else. Breaking up the play is one thing, but actually intercepting the ball in that situation and on that play? He made the play of his life in the biggest moment of his professional life. Sucks for us, but that was one helluva play he made.

soxhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":3vh3v759 said:
SoulfishHawk":3vh3v759 said:
Crap block from Kearse, an really WEAK effort to be aggressive by Lockett and a throw that was a little high.
ALL of them contributed, I can't see how this is somehow more on Russ than the others. :roll:

IMO, Butler deserves far more credit/blame than anyone else. Breaking up the play is one thing, but actually intercepting the ball in that situation and on that play? He made the play of his life in the biggest moment of his professional life. Sucks for us, but that was one helluva play he made.

Hence why some of us are blaming Lockette. It was either Lockette's ball or Butler's ball. One went out and took it.

You're right that it sucks for us that it wasn't our guy. The fact that he got over it so quickly also helps explain why Butler won that "jump ball".

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
And never forget if it wasn't for The Master Belichick who chastised him in front of the whole team for getting beat on THAT VERY PLAY during practice leading up to the game he would have never jumped the route like he did to even have a CHANCE to make the game winning INT. When he saw the formation he was like "Oh hell no am I getting beat on that play again." It's why he was able to jump the route so effectively. He's said it so himself. So in essence, Belichick won them the game in that play.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Incredible play by Butler. I can't imagine thinking any differently about it. But I was referring to someone putting it more on Russ than anyone else, shocker. And I'll say it for the 973rd time, don't blow a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawker8989":2d4vme5i said:
Was on Felger & Mazz ( Boston sports radio) today. He got over SB 49 "pretty easily". Him & Butler talked about the interception the following summer. "Life goes on" he says.

I am glad that scrub got over it so easily. He shouldn't be out there broadcasting how "easily" he got over it. Dude made zero effort on the pick.

Sorry I'm venting...

So lemme get this straight, we don't want some players like Lockette to get over it...............but we want other players like Sherman, Lynch and detractors of how Pete handled that play to get over it and move on as well?

Which is it?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":32za228t said:
Sherm, Bennett and others could have chosen to act more like leaders after the fact. Especially Sherm.

I agree, but some people are cherry picking on HOW players need to feel. They feel too much, they're not feeling enough.

Lockette was one hell of a football player, he might have been the best special teamer we've ever had.........so I'm sure as heck not going to question how he needs to feel about the SB. You ball out and represent the Hawks well? Feel however you want to feel.

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":hy10bf9m said:
Last I checked, you were all buttmad at certain defensive players for NOT being able to get over it.

Championship mentality - you bounce back and move forward.

"I want players to be resilient but not so resilient they can let go of something that still haunts me personally."

Did I get it right?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":1ixqzdbp said:
MontanaHawk05":1ixqzdbp said:
Last I checked, you were all buttmad at certain defensive players for NOT being able to get over it.

Championship mentality - you bounce back and move forward.

"I want players to be resilient but not so resilient they can let go of something that still haunts me personally."

Did I get it right?

Also be loyal, take less money......but don't be butthurt when we cut you cause obviously deserved it.

soxhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1azyhkxg said:
SoulfishHawk":1azyhkxg said:
Sherm, Bennett and others could have chosen to act more like leaders after the fact. Especially Sherm.

I agree, but some people are cherry picking on HOW players need to feel. They feel too much, they're not feeling enough.

Lockette was one hell of a football player, he might have been the best special teamer we've ever had.........so I'm sure as heck not going to question how he needs to feel about the SB. You ball out and represent the Hawks well? Feel however you want to feel.

So imagine Lockette caught that ball.

You think patriot fans would be happy if Butler came on KJR and talked about how he couldn't break up that play right in front of him? And then said "Oh well, that's life"? Then went out to call out players on his team who he thought didn't get over the loss as well?

Don't go on ENEMY SPORTS RADIO if you don't want blow back.

Here's the link for those who wanted more context:

https://985thesportshub.com/2019/01/30/ ... bowl-loss/

Chapow

Reaction score
soxhawk":1w339xd0 said:
Chapow":1w339xd0 said:
SoulfishHawk":1w339xd0 said:

Hence why some of us are blaming Lockette. It was either Lockette's ball or Butler's ball. One went out and took it.

You're right that it sucks for us that it wasn't our guy. The fact that he got over it so quickly also helps explain why Butler won that "jump ball".

Wrong. It was not either Lockette's ball or Butler's ball. When 2 players collide that hard, the far more likely outcome is that neither of them catch the ball and it falls to the ground for an incompletion. The fact that Butler was able to hold onto the ball was actually pretty amazing. Especially because Lockette got a hand on it that tipped it a little bit right before the ball got to Butler.

Butler made a great play. Not sure why it's so hard for some of you to admit that.

mrt144

Reaction score
Chapow":19k6ms0r said:
soxhawk":19k6ms0r said:
Chapow":19k6ms0r said:
SoulfishHawk":19k6ms0r said:

Wrong. It was not either Lockette's ball or Butler's ball. When 2 players collide that hard, the far more likely outcome is that neither of them catch the ball and it falls to the ground for an incompletion. The fact that Butler was able to hold onto the ball was actually pretty amazing. Especially because Lockette got a hand on it that tipped it a little bit right before the ball got to Butler.

Butler made a great play. Not sure why it's so hard for some of you to admit that.

There's two things going on here:

Reluctance to give a Patriot their due.
Only caring about what our team can do and control for, excellent defensive plays and the integral moment aren't one.

soxhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":3bx0zty9 said:
soxhawk":3bx0zty9 said:
Chapow":3bx0zty9 said:
SoulfishHawk":3bx0zty9 said:

I don't know where you get that stat from, but good WR's usually catch 5 yard passes from their own QB no matter what the circumstance was. Even in that game, Edelman looked like he died while making one catch.

You're argument trends toward blaming it on Wilson for throwing it where a defender was standing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
soxhawk":3to33f93 said:
Sgt. Largent":3to33f93 said:
SoulfishHawk":3to33f93 said:

You think patriot fans would be happy if Butler came on KJR and talked about how he couldn't break up that play right in front of him? And then said "Oh well, that's life"? Then went out to call out players on his team who he thought didn't get over the loss as well?

Enemy radio? Lol, Lockette hasn't played in years. How bout let's not assume players get all caught up in loyalty and are as passionate as we fans are.

Lockette is an ex football player from Georgia that played on the Hawks for four years and hasn't played in over three years. Yet you want him to writhe in agony over losing to the Patriots for the rest of time, and hurt like us fans do.

That's not how the players see things. They know it's a business, and life does go on. There's absolutely nothing in that interview I'd get fired up about........I'm just glad Ricardo's healthy and has moved on with his life, and again no one ever questioned the dude's heart when he was running down the field at full speed throwing his body into wedges as one of the greatest special teamers in Hawk's history.

But we STILL need him to feel bad about the play?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wa65btx said:
soxhawk":2wa65btx said:
Sgt. Largent":2wa65btx said:
SoulfishHawk":2wa65btx said:

Enemy radio? Lol, Lockette hasn't played in years. How bout let's not assume players get all caught up in loyalty and are as passionate as we fans are.

Lockette is an ex football player from Georgia that played on the Hawks for four years and hasn't played in over three years. Yet you want him to writhe in agony over losing to the Patriots for the rest of time, and hurt like us fans do.

That's not how the players see things. They know it's a business, and life does go on. There's absolutely nothing in that interview I'd get fired up about........I'm just glad Ricardo's healthy and has moved on with his life, and again no one ever questioned the dude's heart when he was running down the field at full speed throwing his body into wedges as one of the greatest special teamers in Hawk's history.

But we STILL need him to feel bad about the play?

Sounds like it. I guess breaking his neck is not enough. :roll:

I don't care if he's over it or not because I'm over it anyways. Plus he was just a pawn on that play and Butler made the play of his life along with Browner tipped the entire thing off anyways.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It IS ok to give credit to the other team, I know that's hard for some. He made an amazing play. That being said, nothing wrong w/having the opinion that he didn't exactly go aggressively at that ball. And the throw could have went a little lower. And Kearse.....who knows that he was doing. All at contributing factors. And NOT the reason they lost that game.

Chapow

Reaction score
soxhawk":17bum706 said:
Chapow":17bum706 said:
soxhawk":17bum706 said:
Chapow":17bum706 said:

I don't know where you get that stat from, but good WR's usually catch 5 yard passes from their own QB no matter what the circumstance was. Even in that game, Edelman looked like he died while making one catch.

You're argument trends toward blaming it on Wilson for throwing it where a defender was standing.

:34853_doh:

No. My argument is not trending towards blaming anyone. Not Russell, not Lockette, not Kearse, not Bevell, not Pete. No one.

My argument is that Butler deserves far more credit for making a great play, than any Seahawk deserves blame for screwing up.

That's it.

mrt144

Reaction score
soxhawk":nau1y6a1 said:
Chapow":nau1y6a1 said:
soxhawk":nau1y6a1 said:
Chapow":nau1y6a1 said:

And there it is folks. Why do we chase our tails repeating what we already know?

soxhawk

Reaction score
Don't think many can deny it was a great play by Butler. There's no right answer to this. Even Butler has an opinion. He blames it on Wilson ;)

"I saw Wilson looking over there [toward the receivers]," Butler said. "He kept his head still and just looked over there, so that gave me a clue. And the stacked receivers, I just knew they were going to throw. My instincts, I just went with it, just went with my mind and made the play."

Latest posts