Ricardo Lockette Got Over SB 49 "Pretty Easily"

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2tfbfrhq said:
It IS ok to give credit to the other team, I know that's hard for some. He made an amazing play. That being said, nothing wrong w/having the opinion that he didn't exactly go aggressively at that ball. And the throw could have went a little lower. And Kearse.....who knows that he was doing. All at contributing factors. And NOT the reason they lost that game.

it's not OK, we have to have a scapegoat..........preferably multiple scapegoats. But ALWAYS a primary one.

In this forum, the scapegoats for SB 49 are in order.

Bevell
Pete
Russell
Lockette
Kearse
Unger
Cable (just cause)

See that way it's easier to hold onto a fallacy theory that because the play didn't work, the OTHER way would have worked, and we certainly certainly can't give credit to the other team.

We can't..............WE WON'T!!!

Chapow

Reaction score
I will add that it really seems like some of you don't remember that play very clearly. I get that none of us want to re-live that, but if we're going to discuss it maybe some of you need to watch it again with fresh eyes because it really seems like there's a lot of revisionist history and false narratives going on in this thread.

soxhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vzdf8z8 said:
SoulfishHawk":1vzdf8z8 said:
It IS ok to give credit to the other team, I know that's hard for some. He made an amazing play. That being said, nothing wrong w/having the opinion that he didn't exactly go aggressively at that ball. And the throw could have went a little lower. And Kearse.....who knows that he was doing. All at contributing factors. And NOT the reason they lost that game.

it's not OK, we have to have a scapegoat..........preferably multiple scapegoats. But ALWAYS a primary one.

In this forum, the scapegoats for SB 49 are in order.

Bevell
Pete
Russell
Lockette
Kearse
Unger
Cable (just cause)

See that way it's easier to hold onto a fallacy theory that because the play didn't work, the OTHER way would have worked, and we certainly certainly can't give credit to the other team.

We can't..............WE WON'T!!!

You forgot to add Seahawks Defense.

Only one person from above chose to go on Patriots radio during what's become annual Patriot's week, to give Patriots fans more reasons to love themselves (and believe it or not, it wasn't Richard Sherman). And I think he deserves some flack for doing it. Especially for calling out players most of us loved 5 years ago. Players who contributed more to the team's success than Ricardo Lockette...

Chapow

Reaction score
soxhawk":tw56vrwo said:
Don't think many can deny it was a great play by Butler. There's no right answer to this. Even Butler has an opinion. He blames it on Wilson ;)

"I saw Wilson looking over there [toward the receivers]," Butler said. "He kept his head still and just looked over there, so that gave me a clue. And the stacked receivers, I just knew they were going to throw. My instincts, I just went with it, just went with my mind and made the play."

I don't read that as Butler "blaming" Wilson. Butler is saying that he believes that Wilson's body language tipped him off that it was going to be a pass instead of a run. Both Browner and Butler still had to blow the play up and in the case of Butler, he still had to sprint to just the right spot, blow Lockette the hell up, and hold onto the ball after a huge collision with Lockette.

His last sentence in that quote, "I just went with it, just went with my mind and made the play.", he is acknowledging that he made the play, not blaming Wilson.

soxhawk

Reaction score
Chapow":2bg6vdmh said:
soxhawk":2bg6vdmh said:
Don't think many can deny it was a great play by Butler. There's no right answer to this. Even Butler has an opinion. He blames it on Wilson ;)

"I saw Wilson looking over there [toward the receivers]," Butler said. "He kept his head still and just looked over there, so that gave me a clue. And the stacked receivers, I just knew they were going to throw. My instincts, I just went with it, just went with my mind and made the play."

I don't read that as Butler "blaming" Wilson. Butler is saying that he believes that Wilson's body language tipped him off that it was going to be a pass instead of a run. Both Browner and Butler still had to blow the play up and in the case of Butler, he still had to sprint to just the right spot, blow Lockette the hell up, and hold onto the ball after a huge collision with Lockette.

His last sentence in that quote, "I just went with it, just went with my mind and made the play.", he is acknowledging that he made the play, not blaming Wilson.

Winky emoji = it's a joke

Chapow

Reaction score
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hard to tell on this board sometimes. Even with the winky emoji.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Chapow":22lejobm said:
soxhawk":22lejobm said:

Lol..So he made the play?Yes he did..
Why and how was he able to make the play?I bolded the answer above..

Chapow

Reaction score
IndyHawk":160ftchm said:
Chapow":160ftchm said:
soxhawk":160ftchm said:

Lol..So he made the play?Yes he did..
Why and how was he able to make the play?I bolded the answer above..

Ah, so now it's Wilson's fault for "looking over there" which tipped off Butler. Gotcha.

But wait. I thought it was Wilson's fault for not placing the ball perfectly?

Or Lockette's fault for "not trying harder" or whatever?

Or Kearse's fault for not blocking Browner better?

Or Pete's fault for calling a passing play or not over riding Bevell or something?

Or Bevell's fault for calling that play?

Lol

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I met Ricardo in Kihei on Maui at a local restaurant where they serve breakfasts. It was in the first week in March 2015. We were in line to pick up our orders it was busy place that served good food. While waiting I recognized him and apologized for talking to him about football when we were both on holidays. We talked, and it was clear to me that he felt a lot of personal pain about the loss. He felt responsible, was honoured at being given a shot to be the guy who won the game, but felt he’d messed up. However, he offerred no excuses but to me it was clear that RW had slightly overthrown him, giving him no chance on a pass play that the opposition had jumped the route on. Though I was po’d about the loss I told him the 12s loved him and did not blame him. He was a nice guy, very friendly and humble. To me the play being jumped was not on him.

Watching it over RW should have thrown more towards his body. I still think it was a dumb call with a timeout to burn after Marshawn had slammed ahead for 3 yards against their big package. With half a yard to go and an OLine who could block for the run I still believe they’d have run it in. However, Bevell got cute with a play they’d run before and failed to execute, in terms of blocking and placement of the throw, I don’t blame Lockette one bit.

Just one more thing Bevell ended any respect I had for him by blaming Lockette for not going hard enough to the ball, when he ought to have accepted some blame, something he never did while continuing blaming the players rather than being the boss and wearing his stupid decision. RW wore it, I know Lockette did, as did Pete. I gravely doubt Bevell will ever be a head coach he hasn’t got the stones for it. His cop out was pretty small time. I wish Pete had canned him after that press conference it would have caused a lot of healing rather than letting things fester for 2 seasons and causing much caustic dissension on his team. Bevell wears 75% , Pete 15% for agreeing in that situationwith this stupid call. Russell overthrew the pass and wears the rest. To me Bevell sucks!

I’m happy Lockette wasn’t killed in that vicious hit in Dallas, the team lost an exceptional ST gunner and # 5 or #6 WR. He was a good player. In the end I’m sad he was lost to the team and sorry he lost his football career.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3fpe4g5l said:
I met Ricardo in Kihei on Maui at a local restaurant where they serve breakfasts. It was in the first week in March 2015. We were in line to pick up our orders it was busy place that served good food. While waiting I recognized him and apologized for talking to him about football when we were both on holidays. We talked, and it was clear to me that he felt a lot of personal pain about the loss.

Apparently it's not enough, Lockette needs to lie on the floor in the fetal position for the rest of time screaming "WHY GOD WHY!!??"

Also no one's mentioned the fact that he was on BOSTON radio, so of course he's not going to allow them to know how much that loss still might hurt, he's going to act nonchalant like he's over it.

That's a very athlete/dude thing to do, not allow someone else to get the best of you in the moment.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
jammerhawk":1hnm2j5o said:
I wish Pete had canned him after that press conference it would have caused a lot of healing rather than letting things fester for 2 seasons and causing much caustic dissension on his team.

I think Pete's decision not to fire Bevell was one of the main causes of the fracture that ultimately saw the beginning of the end of the LOB Era.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Regrettably true, and something that Pete likely wishes he could do over.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Aros":2q2fq2oa said:
jammerhawk":2q2fq2oa said:
I wish Pete had canned him after that press conference it would have caused a lot of healing rather than letting things fester for 2 seasons and causing much caustic dissension on his team.

I think Pete's decision not to fire Bevell was one of the main causes of the fracture that ultimately saw the beginning of the end of the LOB Era.

The irony is Pete also remained loyal to some of those players who were doing the fracturing for too long as well.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
True. Loyalty can be a double-edged sword, especially in the NFL.

Seymour

Reaction score
Not sure what the bid deal is??

I was over it in under 3 years. :twisted: :2thumbs:

Latest posts