roger gödell fines sherm $7,875 for "choking"

dbmack

Reaction score
Right now this is the top sports news story headline on my home page portal. I've never noticed fines being a top story before, especially the < 8K ones.

irocdave

Reaction score
Sherm deserved the fine. As a fan I wish he wouldn't have done it but I understand why he did it. Cant say that I wouldn't have gone off the same way with the way things played out. Still it isn't something I want my kids to see by a player they appreciate and I can see why the NFL wants to put the reigns on this behavior.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I have no problem with the fine because what he did (choke sign) is against the rules.

I do have a problem if Crabtree wasn't also fined for shoving Richard in the fask mask, and if someone on the '9ers doesn't end up fined for the interference against Lane.

Edit to correct the type of taunt Sherm did.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Seriously? He deserved the fine ? For doing the choke that was not directed at anyone?

For saying a player was mediocre? Did not some others call the seahawk wideouts pedestrian? The difference ?

So what ? Fear of offending a soccer mom and little Johnny and Sally?

Where is the fine in the broncos / pats game?
Where is the fine for the lane hit?
Where is the fine on Keapernick when he ran in the tunnel and refused to shakes hands in sea/sf game one?
Was that not unsportman like ?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Half the distance. Nobody got hurt, and he was penalized for what he did ON THE FIELD.

PR move.

But I'm sure Richard cares very little. You have to spend money to make money, and the millions he will probably reap in adverts will more than make up for the Yugo priced fine.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That is really funny.

Sherman was fined $8K for doing the "choke" sign (not the throat slash which ostensibly was made illegal because it made light of youth violence and could have been interpreted a threat). Even though I believe that no other player was ever warned that a choke sign was a foul that carried a fine (since it is essentially only taunting).

On the other hand, Sherman picked up close to $5M in endorsements because of this act (or the publicity that his post-game speech combined with the taunting generated). I am going to have to say that an $5M payoff with an $8K expense is a pretty fair ROI.

Hopefully Sherman can get more fines in the future if they payoff as nicely.

Latest posts