Ronald Jones II

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I don't get the Jones hype. He's a good complimentary player, but there's questions on where he'll succeed at the next level.

He has speed, but he's undersized, so can he be a feature back for a team wanting to consistently run the ball like Seattle? I don't think so. He benefited playing with Sam Darnold, mostly running against seven-man fronts and nickel defenses which fit his running style, but against a stacked box he's not going to be the player to break a lot of tackles at the line of scrimmage.

Can he win on 3rd downs? Maybe, but it's not there on tape to know. Any projection of him as a good 3rd down back is a reach, since he never showed he can run routes and catch passes. Yes, USC never throws to RB, I've heard that before, but that still means he's behind other RBs in snaps and experience doing so.

The league has consistently waited to draft undersized, speed RB like Jones till the mid rounds. That's more likely, IMO, than the first round.

Also, to add a correction to his pro day 40 time:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/982004792045129728[/tweet]
It's obvious his game tape shows he has speed, but he played lighter at college. You can't give him his track speed at a heavier weight without him proving it.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2ab0c5uk said:
seahawkfreak":2ab0c5uk said:
I have a 78 year old Grandma that could run through those holes. He runs a 4.65 40,,,,, no thank you.

Not sure what the OPs obsession with a slow RB is. Plenty of other good RBs in this draft.

Horrible take. He was injured (hamstring) during the 40 you're referencing, subsequently ran sub-4.5 at pro day despite not being 100%, and his game speed on film is excellent. He ran a 10.37s 100 meter dash as a track athlete, which is pretty damn fast.

Again, horrible take.

Could you say it again? Wasn't aware his hamstring injury was common knowledge. Just quoted his NFL combine stat from the official site. Didn't know that was so terrible.

Even without the injury he wasn't projected to go in the first and there are quite a few RBs that are better than him.
Hope that was a better take.

chris98251

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":66gpdxjf said:
chris98251":66gpdxjf said:
With our O line and how we use the running game we need a tough SOB that has great balance and a natural forward lean, the new helmet rule should make things interesting however, Guice is a back that looks good in college but runs way to upright for our blocking scheme in my opinion, hard to break thru tackles that way, he is a great open field runner from what I have seen however and if he has running lanes that you don't get contact till your thru the big fatties.

We have a new coaching staff how do you know what blocking scheme where going to be in. Second with the new helmet rule running upright might be an advantage.. I'm not sure upright and blocking scheme are the metric for determining production in the NFL. I'll stick to who looks the most dynamic on film and that's Jones . I like his combination of size speed and lateral suddenness also his burst. And he runs with a lot more power than he's credited with. We don't know who out of these backs Jones,Guice,Sony, or Penny are going to be the best but they all have the ability and they all did well in college. I don't really see a bust in any of those four. Who can stay healthy will likely determine who has the best production in the NFL.

It will still be ZBS but with the power version that the Ravens and other teams use that Cable stubbornly refused to incorporate.

naholmes

Reaction score
brimsalabim":i0menp9s said:
4.65 stands out and not in a good way.
He pulled up halfway through his run with a strained hamstring.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":dguvfd99 said:
Maelstrom787":dguvfd99 said:
seahawkfreak":dguvfd99 said:
I have a 78 year old Grandma that could run through those holes. He runs a 4.65 40,,,,, no thank you.

Not sure what the OPs obsession with a slow RB is. Plenty of other good RBs in this draft.

Horrible take. He was injured (hamstring) during the 40 you're referencing, subsequently ran sub-4.5 at pro day despite not being 100%, and his game speed on film is excellent. He ran a 10.37s 100 meter dash as a track athlete, which is pretty damn fast.

Again, horrible take.

Could you say it again? Wasn't aware his hamstring injury was common knowledge. Just quoted his NFL combine stat from the official site. Didn't know that was so terrible.

Even without the injury he wasn't projected to go in the first and there are quite a few RBs that are better than him.

It's obvious that it isn't common knowledge, unfortunately. It could be with a simple Google search though!

Context is important, especially in sports. Stats, scouting, etc. Looking at combine stats in a vacuum is misleading, and this is a good example of why.

original poster

Reaction score
I remember watching Jones injure himself at the Combine. Was tough to watch as he was one of the guys I was most interested in watching test.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2fkk28fg said:
seahawkfreak":2fkk28fg said:
Maelstrom787":2fkk28fg said:
seahawkfreak":2fkk28fg said:

Again, horrible take.

It's obvious that it isn't common knowledge, unfortunately. It could be with a simple Google search though!

Context is important, especially in sports. Stats, scouting, etc. Looking at combine stats in a vacuum is misleading, and this is a good example of why.
I did a simple google search and got his 4.65 40 time from NFL.com. There was no mention of his hammy there. since that was pointed out on this thread I searched further and found his previous time to be a still unimpressive 4.55 but at the USC pro-day he was able to run a solid 4.48.

sc85sis

Reaction score
brimsalabim":oxbhx753 said:
Maelstrom787":oxbhx753 said:
seahawkfreak":oxbhx753 said:
Maelstrom787":oxbhx753 said:

Again, horrible take.

I did a simple google search and got his 4.65 40 time from NFL.com. There was no mention of his hammy there. since that was pointed out on this thread I searched further and found his previous time to be a still unimpressive 4.55 but at the USC pro-day he was able to run a solid 4.48.
The hamstring was injured in February. He shouldn’t have tried to run at the Combine. He was only partially healed and then re-pulled it and was back to square one.

The 40 time from last week is with His hamstring still only 85-90% healed. He’s at worst a solid 4.4 guy.

cheese22

Reaction score
He's fast. Watch his tape.
The whole "draft by measurables" hasn't worked too well. I hope they draft like they recently said they would and pick guys with heart, dedication and attitude. The reason they were able to draft successful players in the later rounds was because they picked guys who could play. Not the guys with the longest arms or fastest 3 cone or short shuttle or Mel Kiper approved. No position changes or huge projects when you have this many needs.