Running Back Rashaad Penny OTA Press Conference 6/6/19

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
xray":1d406bqc said:
Pressers aside...Penny will have to protect his number 2 RB slot from some pretty good competition this year...if Penny contributes as much as Davis I would be happy...all we can do is watch and wait...it will shake out this summer.

You are incorrect.... Penny is running with the #1s right now. Carson has to protect his job. Penny is going to steal it.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":kkd2wp0l said:
xray":kkd2wp0l said:
Pressers aside...Penny will have to protect his number 2 RB slot from some pretty good competition this year...if Penny contributes as much as Davis I would be happy...all we can do is watch and wait...it will shake out this summer.

You are incorrect.... Penny is running with the #1s right now. Carson has to protect his job. Penny is going to steal it.

Just to clarify .......... Carson is rehabbing from a minor clean out.

toffee

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":ai39wjyr said:
xray":ai39wjyr said:

If Penny could steal the job from a 1,000 yard RB, Hawks are in for a great run, all 12s would support that, however, I haven't seen the same Carson-isque fire and determination from Penny.

We shall see.

quadsas

Reaction score
Jville":1dfd3rah said:
ImTheScientist":1dfd3rah said:
xray":1dfd3rah said:

yeah, if Pete would let Penny take no.1 spot from Carson before the preseason then comPete would be all but over

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
toffee":2xhmobe8 said:
12AngryHawks":2xhmobe8 said:
quadsas":2xhmobe8 said:
jammerhawk":2xhmobe8 said:
Always look on the dark side of life.

Holy negativity!

If you have me in mind, I am looking at Carson and I am looking at Penny. Comparing the two, Penny is trash. He looks like slightly faster Rawls post-injury. Can they beat some toughness into him, I sure hope so. But they better not take away carries from Carson just because they want to play Penny. We started off 0-2 cause Pete played vastly inferior running back.

Why does Penny have to be like Carson? Penny is the home-run hitter that Carson isn't, Penny brings the speed while Carson brings the strength. The way I see it, we don't need two bruising RB's, cause those are the type of RB's that get hurt more often.

I do agree with you to some extend, however, if Penny can acquire the mentality and desire to run up the gut between tackles with punishing the defenders in mind. He would be a complete 3 down back that would be very hard to defend against. It's to his and the team's advantage if he could be a more complete back that could run with power up the middle and speed from the side.

Penny does have the size and speed to be that complete back.

Good point. From what I hear, it sounds like he's starting to embrace being an NFL RB, he's accepting the fact that he's going to take some hard hits and preparing his body for the aches & pains. Now that Penny doesn't have Davis above him, and he's got some pro experience under his belt, there's not a whole lot of reasons to believe that Penny won't be better this season. If he's not good this season, then maybe some can call him a bust, but until then, we should give him a chance. I've already elaborated about how I think Carroll & Schneider don't place as much value on first round picks as most teams do, I think them picking Penny was for depth and possibly a starting position, Penny was the guy they wanted, and he would likely have been gone by their next pick, so they took him then. Plus, at the time, Penny was the healthiest RB in the class, had no injury history whatsoever, that definitely played a big role in picking him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
quadsas":pvf8kwcd said:
Jville":pvf8kwcd said:
ImTheScientist":pvf8kwcd said:
xray":pvf8kwcd said:

yeah, if Pete would let Penny take no.1 spot from Carson before the preseason then comPete would be all but over

I dont see Penny as being anything more than complimentary of Carson this season, unless something happens to CC.

It's a nice resource to have. Maybe didnt need to spend a 1st on it, but Penny showed flashes of big play abilities, in limited chances.

He has real competition if he doesn't step up as well.

quadsas

Reaction score
Uncle Si":154gwvdy said:
quadsas":154gwvdy said:
Jville":154gwvdy said:
ImTheScientist":154gwvdy said:

I dont see Penny as being anything more than complimentary of Carson this season, unless something happens to CC.

It's a nice resource to have. Maybe didnt need to spend a 1st on it, but Penny showed flashes of big play abilities, in limited chances.

Well he will have chances knowing the style of running Carson prefers. Just gotta hope those chances won't come from same situations as Broncos and Bears games last season. Pete really wants for him succeed and hopefully he has learned that team comes before his pet projects and we're not gonna start 0-2 because he can't let go

quadsas

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":32ubueaw said:
quadsas":32ubueaw said:
jammerhawk":32ubueaw said:

Holy negativity!

If you have me in mind, I am looking at Carson and I am looking at Penny. Comparing the two, Penny is trash. He looks like slightly faster Rawls post-injury. Can they beat some toughness into him, I sure hope so. But they better not take away carries from Carson just because they want to play Penny. We started off 0-2 cause Pete played vastly inferior running back.

Why does Penny have to be like Carson? Penny is the home-run hitter that Carson isn't, Penny brings the speed while Carson brings the strength. The way I see it, we don't need two bruising RB's, cause those are the type of RB's that get hurt more often.

I wasn't comparing their running styles, I was comparing production. He hit two nice runs because he couldn't see the easy yards, but that is not something you can rely on or sustain, those will usually turn into 4 yard losses, before you hit me with that dumb ypc stat, just I can't believe people are throwing out there to justify anything.

And if he can turn into CJ2K type of fella then great, but at the same time can we trust Pete to embrace 'finesse' running style that fits Penny? Cause he sure as hell is scared shitless of running through the hole

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
quadsas":1luc7zzp said:
Uncle Si":1luc7zzp said:
quadsas":1luc7zzp said:
Jville":1luc7zzp said:

Well he will have chances knowing the style of running Carson prefers. Just gotta hope those chances won't come from same situations as Broncos and Bears games last season. Pete really wants for him succeed and hopefully he has learned that team comes before his pet projects and we're not gonna start 0-2 because he can't let go

That was more than addressed in an earlier press conference the link to which can be found here [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=154392[/urltargetblank]

Elemas

Reaction score
Love Carson but, I wouldn't be surprised to see Penny take over as the #1 back. From what I understand, in addition to the normal "rookie" curve, he didn't come into camp with the mentality nor shape he needed to live up to his draft potential. That coupled with injury...it wasn't that spectacular.

He definitely needs to be multidimensional and not just a "potential to break for big yards" kind of guy. Without a larger sample size, YPC shouldn't be used as a standard (as in, Penny's is > than Carson's).

I'm sure most of us would love to see 1K plus from both backs. Who knows what the season holds.

Calling Penny "trash" is a bit premature but, if nothing changes within the next two years or so, I'd agree at that point.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
quadsas":3sk8h3g1 said:
12AngryHawks":3sk8h3g1 said:
quadsas":3sk8h3g1 said:
jammerhawk":3sk8h3g1 said:

Holy negativity!

I wasn't comparing their running styles, I was comparing production. He hit two nice runs because he couldn't see the easy yards, but that is not something you can rely on or sustain, those will usually turn into 4 yard losses, before you hit me with that dumb ypc stat, just I can't believe people are throwing out there to justify anything.

And if he can turn into CJ2K type of fella then great, but at the same time can we trust Pete to embrace 'finesse' running style that fits Penny? Cause he sure as hell is scared shitless of running through the hole

All I'm saying is, at this point in his career, it wouldn't be fair to label him a bust, nor would it be fair to label him as the next great Seahawks RB. I think Penny has a bigger learning curve than Carson, because Carson's playstyle is simpler than Penny's, Carson runs up the middle and finds a hole, Penny's style requires speed and knowing where his blockers are going to be. Last season, one could argue that Penny didn't produce because he was a rookie, going through growing pains, he was injured, and was behind Carson & Davis who were more NFL ready at the time, but this season, we'll see if Penny has what it takes.

If he doesn't succeed as RB#2 after this season is over, then I'll admit he's a bust, but is it not reasonable to wait & see? Don't put too much merit on his draft position, I think PC drafted Penny, not to usurp Carson but to have two starting quality RB's.

quadsas

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":3qnttfjq said:
quadsas":3qnttfjq said:
12AngryHawks":3qnttfjq said:
quadsas":3qnttfjq said:

All I'm saying is, at this point in his career, it wouldn't be fair to label him a bust, nor would it be fair to label him as the next great Seahawks RB. I think Penny has a bigger learning curve than Carson, because Carson's playstyle is simpler than Penny's, Carson runs up the middle and finds a hole, Penny's style requires speed and knowing where his blockers are going to be. Last season, one could argue that Penny didn't produce because he was a rookie, going through growing pains, he was injured, and was behind Carson & Davis who were more NFL ready at the time, but this season, we'll see if Penny has what it takes.

If he doesn't succeed as RB#2 after this season is over, then I'll admit he's a bust, but is it not reasonable to wait & see? Don't put too much merit on his draft position, I think PC drafted Penny, not to usurp Carson but to have two starting quality RB's.

I never said he was a bust. When did I say that he cannot improve? Jesus christ, it's ridiculous. He was trash last season, he could be all time great this season. Was still trash last year

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
quadsas":1rqz0uwf said:
12AngryHawks":1rqz0uwf said:
quadsas":1rqz0uwf said:
12AngryHawks":1rqz0uwf said:

I never said he was a bust. When did I say that he cannot improve? Jesus christ, it's ridiculous. He was trash last season, he could be all time great this season. Was still trash last year

Calling him trash is basically calling him a bust, I'd say trash is actually a stronger word. I get why you say he was "trash" last season, I wouldn't go that far myself, but I see why you say it, and by that logic, Carson was "trash" his rookie season, and now you're saying he's lightyears ahead of Penny, prime example of counting your chickens before they hatch.

The reason you have people arguing with you on the topic, is because you're coming off as labeling Penny as trash in general and not stating specifically that he just had a bad season (depending on how one looks at it). And it didn't help that you use the word trash, which people here might think is a rather harsh term for a player like him. There are some players I myself would call trash, but Penny isn't on that list.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Elemas":3muoh8rw said:
Love Carson but, I wouldn't be surprised to see Penny take over as the #1 back. From what I understand, in addition to the normal "rookie" curve, he didn't come into camp with the mentality nor shape he needed to live up to his draft potential. That coupled with injury...it wasn't that spectacular.

He definitely needs to be multidimensional and not just a "potential to break for big yards" kind of guy. Without a larger sample size, YPC shouldn't be used as a standard (as in, Penny's is > than Carson's).

I'm sure most of us would love to see 1K plus from both backs. Who knows what the season holds.

Calling Penny "trash" is a bit premature but, if nothing changes within the next two years or so, I'd agree at that point.

Not sure if you watched his presser but he talked about last seadon

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I hope he does well this year.

That being said he was a terrible choice in the spot he was drafted and underperformed to many drafted later. He did not look or play like a first rounder and in all the redraft articles was nowhere to be found. One prominent one considered him the worst pick in the draft. Other RBs drafted didn’t seem to need a year to figure it out.

Again, I hope he proves wrong and I eat crow but as of today he is NOT a bust but he has also not proven to be an NFL quality RB and is a looooong ways from showing he was worth a FIRST round draft choice.

quadsas

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":26o0oen0 said:
quadsas":26o0oen0 said:
12AngryHawks":26o0oen0 said:
quadsas":26o0oen0 said:

Calling him trash is basically calling him a bust, I'd say trash is actually a stronger word. I get why you say he was "trash" last season, I wouldn't go that far myself, but I see why you say it, and by that logic, Carson was "trash" his rookie season, and now you're saying he's lightyears ahead of Penny, prime example of counting your chickens before they hatch.

The reason you have people arguing with you on the topic, is because you're coming off as labeling Penny as trash in general and not stating specifically that he just had a bad season (depending on how one looks at it). And it didn't help that you use the word trash, which people here might think is a rather harsh term for a player like him. There are some players I myself would call trash, but Penny isn't on that list.

So youre saying players cannot go from trash to great in a season? And yes, he's had one season in the league, and he was trash, so what else am I supposed to base my opinion about his play on? Draft position? College production? And Carson clearly wasnt trash in his rookie season. And if I'd rather not see you on the field, then in my opinion you're trash. And if you wanted to see Penny instead of Carson on the field last season, you're insane.

:177692: Enough!

Let's stay on topic and refrain from repeating assertions over and over again. Once is sufficient.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Penny says he is under 230lbs but was vague about how much extra weigh he burdened himself with in his rookie season.

toffee

Reaction score
Jville":3l4tj9a7 said:
Penny says he is under 230lbs but was vague about how much extra weigh he burdened himself with in his rookie season.
not sure if I remember correctly but didn’t Pete said Penny was 240 last OTA or TC?

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
toffee":3m8jz7xq said:
Jville":3m8jz7xq said:
not sure if I remember correctly but didn’t Pete said Penny was 240 last OTA or TC?
Could have been. I honestly don't recall a number. Overweight issues was a theme in 2018. Diet and good weight seem to be a focus for 2019. I'm anticipating better movement, endurance and fourth quarter finish.

Elemas

Reaction score
I think he was at least 240. They mentioned conditioning as a factor last season. At a "normal" playing weight, both him and Carson have hovered at 220.

I wonder what Penny's at now. With his run style, it seems he'd benefit from a much lower weight... Carson on the other hand is a bruiser.

Whatever the case, I think the Hawks are going to be great (like last season) with the run.

Just hope we use RWs arm a bit more.