Running Back Rashaad Penny OTA Press Conference 6/6/19

chris98251

Reaction score
Penny had a few issues coming into last season and sill produced very good yards per carry.

In shape and knowing the playbook and hopefully able to put a chip on his shoulder to dish out a bit of punishment will help him a lot. He isn't the type of back that runs over and thru you with a look to deal punishment. He will be yes, more a Faulk type back, Catch and dart and slide thru holes and in the open field.

xray

Reaction score
This is not my intention to bash Penny ; but there are a couple things from last year that seemed evident about him. His YPC stat ; that some keep pointing out where inflated by a few breakaway runs on what appeared to be broken plays. I am also not alone when noticing that he doesn't like much contact and seems easy to bring down. I guess what I am trying to say ; is that he seems to lack the rough and tough hard nosed attitude that a 3 down starting RB needs. In fairness to him he didn't get a bunch of touches to show us everything he's got to offer ; or did he ? We will see his second season soon. GO HAWKS

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
There's a handful of posters here who I know for sure are Penny haters who have stayed out of posting to this thread. I'd love to hear what they have to say regarding Penny right now.

He seems to be in good spirits and is determined to do whatever it takes to improve on last year and prove that he is worth the first round pick. That's exactly the mentality you want from your players.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Just to be clear ..... it's the intolerable name calling and personal attacks that need to go elsewhere.

Where-as, genuine well stated reservations and/or good spirited constructive criticism is welcomed.

I know in my own case I need to work at getting better one day at a time every day ....... just like Rashaad Penny and most of the Seahawks community.

Go Hawks!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think this will be a great year for Penny, Carson, and group of rbs. There seems to be lots of competition at the position which is good. Penny had a good rookie season. He rushed for 400+ yards on less than 100 carries. That looks pretty good and productive as a rookie to me. Hopefully he improves upon that and has an even better 2nd season. It just helps the Seahawks and in the end that is all that matters.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
xray":855fq3fm said:
This is not my intention to bash Penny ; but there are a couple things from last year that seemed evident about him. His YPC stat ; that some keep pointing out where inflated by a few breakaway runs on what appeared to be broken plays. I am also not alone when noticing that he doesn't like much contact and seems easy to bring down. I guess what I am trying to say ; is that he seems to lack the rough and tough hard nosed attitude that a 3 down starting RB needs. In fairness to him he didn't get a bunch of touches to show us everything he's got to offer ; or did he ? We will see his second season soon. GO HAWKS

Who cares if he doesn't like contact. Plenty of great rbs didn't like contact and were successful. Shaun Alexander didn't like contact but he still produced. Improve the OL (which I believe that is now happening) and Penny can be a devastating rb. He may never be a Lynch type but not everyone is. Lynch types don't stay in the league very long due to their style of running. Just because he's a different runner doesn't mean he won't put 1000+ yards in a season. He almost had half that in less than 100 carries. Just saying.

chris98251

Reaction score
There are some that were so good they didn't have a lot of contact when they played in college, one step break an arm tackle and gone. Faulk is a good mentor for him in this regard he had to learn to be a Pro and stick his nose into the pile. He still had his edge stuff as well but like Reggie Bush if you can't stick your nose in you become one dimensional and your playing time will suffer as well.

mrblitz

Reaction score
On the outside runs, Penny can really turn the corner. In his rookie campaign, where he struggled was on the runs straight up the gut. Even so, I remember a middle run by him where he got 6 or 7 yards, and broke 2 or 3 tackles along the way. So he did show precedent for being able to navigate the up-the-middle stuff.

It's a great situation to have 2 backs like this.

Plus, there's that one kid who played college at Alabama. Is he still on the squad? If that kid is healthy, there's another great back.

If the o-line is consistent for the entire season, our running backs are going to be very effective. Last season, the running game slowed as the o-linemen were lost to injury. When it was 'on', the running game was a thing of beauty.

This upcoming season, it would stand to reason that the overall running game will be even better than last year. ymmv

hawk45

Reaction score
When Penny can bounce outside or on a designed outside play he shows NFL-level speed in getting to the corner. But on inside runs and even on dump-off passes he was disappointing due to higher traffic and going down easily. Every time he caught a pass over the middle I said to myself Carson would have had 3-5 more yards easily, because over the middle toughness and running through contact counts more because you've got no runway to get to glide speed.

Last year he was a gimmick back effective mainly on outside runs, and not even my first choice to catch a pass on third down (that would be Davis). It's concerning because he plays a position where players quite often contribute immediately, especially first rounders.

Here's hoping the excuses around the hand injury and him coming in out of shape, etc. are on the money and he's a whole different back when he's dialed in. I don't see him ever doing well after contact - that's not something that magically becomes a strength - but perhaps if he's quicker he'll be able to be more like Prosise in the middle i.e. navigate the wash and be a threat to break out even when traffic is heavy.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
quadsas":3mht1no0 said:
Largent80":3mht1no0 said:
Look what Penney did in his very limited time and after the injury and lack of practice. Dude is going off this year.

he did...nothing? he had a couple runs (and they only happened cause he lacked vision to get the guaranteed 4-5 yards). As far as I am concerned, he's trash, but I'd be more than happy if he proved me wrong this year. Carson is lightyears ahead of him in almost every category

Nonsense.. He had 2 big runs of ill-advised cutbacks. He had many other good plays. He ran for 100 yards against the Rams when Carson was out.. (He hasn't proven he can play a full season anyway).

Only a fool would label someone a bust after just 1 year. We've seen countless times of players becoming good to great in years 2 or 3.. Max Unger anyone? Britt? Jaran Reed? Jermaine Kease?

xray

Reaction score
Not a Penny bash...in the 2017 draft there where 3 RBs taken in the 1st round. Barkley @ #2---Michel @ #31 and Penny taken @37...Barkley had over 2000 yards total and offensive rookie honore...Michel was close to 1000 total and is wearing a SB ring...and Penny couldn't beat out Mike Davis for the 2nd RB slot... again this not a bash...just hoping he can play up to the expectations . GO HAWKS !

hawkfan68

Reaction score
xray":122tnadd said:
Not a Penny bash...in the 2017 draft there where 3 RBs taken in the 1st round. Barkley @ #2---Michel @ #31 and Penny taken @37...Barkley had over 2000 yards total and offensive rookie honore...Michel was close to 1000 total and is wearing a SB ring...and Penny couldn't beat out Mike Davis for the 2nd RB slot... again this not a bash...just hoping he can play up to the expectations . GO HAWKS !

First of all, it's not Penny's fault he was drafted at #37. Secondly, it's 2018 draft not 2017. Thirdly, you are disregarding the situations involved. NYG and NE didn't have a #1 running back at the time those guys were drafted. I bet if NE had Chris Carson or Mike Davis, Sony Michel probably would have started behind them too. Not a knock on Sony but credit to what Mike Davis and Chris Carson are. It speaks to the volume of how better the Seahawk running back situation now. Penny got considerably less carries than both those guys. If he would have maintained his average and had the same amount as Sony Michel, Penny would have had quite a bit more yards than Michel.

Sony's stats - https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3128721/sony-michel

Penny's stats - https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3139925/rashaad-penny

Penny's avg was 4.9 yards per carry. His avg at 209 carries would have projected to 1024 yards. That would greater than what Michel did at 931 yards.