Russ has regressed as a QB

lukerguy

Reaction score
Russ was again brutal in the first half, but was all world in the second.. Sounds a lot like the "old" russ to me. IN fact this year, he's been missing those drives to win it... so it's a curious time to bring that up.

sutz

Reaction score
Actually, I'd say Russ is getting better. After two years or more of running for his life 2 seconds after the snap, he's finally getting some time to set up and throw. He's getting time to actually look at the field and learn some defensive formations and schemes.

It took him a few throws to shake off the jitters and all, but it was a damn good game IMHO.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":9oo6rt69 said:
Didn’t Aaron Rodgers get sacked 4 times holding onto the ball too long? But he also made 2 spectacular throws by being patient. Wilson isn’t much different. Yet Rodgers is elite and Wilson a game manager.

Grass is always greener fans with no perspective drive me nuts.

Exactly!!

Arron Rodgers has regressed! Held onto the ball too long on 3 of his 5 sacks, those were on him.
He also bounced that last air ball whiff on their last possession that cost them the game. Trade Rodgers!!

See how dumb that sounds even though those things did happen??

Look, I'm not sure why Wilson is having these 3-4 bad uncharacteristic plays a game several times this year, but what I do know is he is not alone. We are not used to seeing this, but it happens to every QB out there. I think he is just uncomfortable at times out there because of the 7 years bad habits of being Cables "beat like a red headed step child" syndrome he had to deal with.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Russ is among the top 6 QBs in the league. Put him on a team with a decent O-line and you'd see the difference immediately.

He had a few bad throws early on last night, but so did future HOF'er Aaron Rodgers.

Given he's only 29, I'd take Russ over almost anyone in the league. Brady, Rodgers, Ben and Brees are better QBs, but they're also really old.

Given the OC talent over Russ through most of his career, it is amazing how well he's performed. Look at how Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz regressed when their OC's departed.

We are very lucky to have Russ. I wish more of you would recognize this.

Wartooth

Reaction score
These posts are tiresome... I guess a lot of these 'fans' never got to see the stellar play of Dan McGwire, Stan Gelbaugh, Kelly Stouffer, Charlie Whitehurst, Trent Dilfer, Tarvaris Jackson, etc, etc... This decade is literally the best Seahawk's football has ever been! And yet, we still have 'fans' complaining weekly about the best Seahawk's QB ever!

sutz

Reaction score
Wartooth":23uoc5g4 said:
These posts are tiresome... I guess a lot of these 'fans' never got to see the stellar play of Dan McGwire, Stan Gelbaugh, Kelly Stouffer, Charlie Whitehurst, Trent Dilfer, Tarvaris Jackson, etc, etc... This decade is literally the best Seahawk's football has ever been! And yet, we still have 'fans' complaining weekly about the best Seahawk's QB ever!
You misspelled "weakly." :twisted:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Tusc2000":32i7wdf8 said:
Russ is among the top 6 QBs in the league. Put him on a team with a decent O-line and you'd see the difference immediately.

He had a few bad throws early on last night, but so did future HOF'er Aaron Rodgers.

Given he's only 29, I'd take Russ over almost anyone in the league. Brady, Rodgers, Ben and Brees are better QBs, but they're also really old.

Given the OC talent over Russ through most of his career, it is amazing how well he's performed. Look at how Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz regressed when their OC's departed.

I do.

I just wish we weren't sitting at 5-5. We're there because of him, largely. The defense has done their part. They've been absolutely shutdown in the second half of the last three games, giving Rodgers, Rivers, and Goff very little room to produce and giving Wilson every chance to score, and he isn't consistent at doing it. It's had just as much an impact on our standings as his stats.

Wilson is amazing. And he needs to play even better.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1mc4d7yh said:
Tusc2000":1mc4d7yh said:

I do.

I just wish we weren't sitting at 5-5. We're there because of him, largely. The defense has done their part. They've been absolutely shutdown in the second half of the last three games, giving Rodgers, Rivers, and Goff very little room to produce and giving Wilson every chance to score, and he isn't consistent at doing it. It's had just as much an impact on our standings as his stats.

Wilson is amazing. And he needs to play even better.

Correction.....THEY are not consistent at doing it.
Some is on Wilson, and there are several other factors. 5 pre snap penalties and Ifedi falling back to his old ways is not exactly helping the guy either. Baldwin disappearing until the last 2 games is yet another issue this season.

Jville

Reaction score
Has Russell Regressed? ......Don't think so.

Although, it has been pointed out many occasions that there is typically a great deal of variance from game to game, quarter to quarter, possession to possession. That variance remains. It's an integral part of the make up of Russell Wilson entertainment. No need to go looking for ghosts.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Baldwin disappearing until the last 2 games is yet another issue this season.

Doug Baldwin is back baby!

Baby Back Baldwin is going to surprise and impress in the remaining games of the season.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Another negative thread, even after a win. Awesome. And people say I overreact on here. Just completely over the top and unnecessary

Pete told Russ to calm down. Was he hyper? Nervous? Probably. After that Russ looked like himself

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As the great Dennis Green once said, he is who we thought he was.

That's Russell. He hasn't regressed, he is who he's always been..............a QB that looks shaky in 80% of first halves and needs to get into rhythm and tempo gaining confidence as the game wears on.

Exactly what we saw last night. Lots of over and underthrows in the first half not looking very good. Then much better in the 2nd half.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
We are spoiled freaking brats. We have a franchise Quarterback. What that means is that we have to live through the good and the bad that every QB has. There's really no point in even talking about regression unless you're wanting to move on. All Quarterbacks make mistakes. Aaron Rodgers failed to do last night, what Russell Wilson was asked to do EVERY GAME last year--which is win it by himself. Some of you want Drew Brees. Brees is 10 years older and wiser--let Russ get there. I can't understand or fathom wanting another QB on this team. You would take Mahomes because he's young and cheap, not because he's giving you anything Russell Wilson hasn't already given you.

The grass is pretty green on this side.

mrt144

Reaction score
seabowl":14fvtpkn said:
Russ has been the biggest piece to the Carol era resurgence of the Hawks. No doubt in my mind. With this said it looks like he has regressed in a number of areas as a qb the last few years.

Reads
Deep throws
Timing
Scrambling

Would I get rid of him. Absolutely not!!! However, whether it's his new life (family) or something else, he IMO has failed to progress into the QB he should be based on his skill set. Maybe he needs a different QB coach or something but whatever he's doing now, it is not working and taking advantage of his potential. Three years ago I would have said he's great and only going to get better. It just hasn't happened and frankly he's regressed.

Thoughts?

I was struck last night by how similar both RW and Rodgers seemed to struggle with finding targets and hucking the ball at them.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I've been critical of Wilson at times this year but his numbers are good . Regressed no adapting to a new OC and some new players and concepts yes. I thought Wilson was at his best last night he was awesome.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You guys keep using the word "progression."

Progression means more than just what you're seeing on the field and stats. Russell has progressed at reading defenses, moving people around, understanding scheme concepts............and this has resulted in Pete trusting him much more with changing plays at the line and audibles.

Saw that last night with the Dickson TD, that was all Russell seeing GB blitzing, checked to a quick seam and Dickson ran it perfectly.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":qmybb68o said:

That's Russell. He hasn't regressed, he is who he's always been..............a QB that looks shaky in 80% of first halves and needs to get into rhythm and tempo gaining confidence as the game wears on.

Exactly what we saw last night. Lots of over and underthrows in the first half not looking very good. Then much better in the 2nd half.

More exaggerated BS on Wilson. 80% of entire first half? Wrong!

10-11 in the 2nd quarter yesterday just for starters. :pukeface:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1dt6tyvi said:
Sgt. Largent":1dt6tyvi said:

More exaggerated BS on Wilson. 80% of entire first half? Wrong!

10-11 in the 2nd quarter yesterday just for starters. :pukeface:

Last year Russell's completion percentage was a full 10% lower in the first half than 2nd, and he threw 6 first half TD's, compared to 26 in the 2nd half.

If you can't see that Russell is far sharper and accurate in the 2nd halves of games then he is in the 1st halves, then I don't know what the hell you're watching Seymour.