Russ has regressed as a QB

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":357y9erv said:
Sgt. Largent":357y9erv said:
As the great Dennis Green once said, he is who we thought he was.

That's Russell. He hasn't regressed, he is who he's always been..............a QB that looks shaky in 80% of first halves and needs to get into rhythm and tempo gaining confidence as the game wears on.

Exactly what we saw last night. Lots of over and underthrows in the first half not looking very good. Then much better in the 2nd half.

More exaggerated BS on Wilson. 80% of entire first half? Wrong!

10-11 in the 2nd quarter yesterday just for starters. :pukeface:

Certainly you can see the difference in wilson from half to half.

Its not as significant this year as last. I think thats the run game impact.

But last year? Watching first halfs was painful

Scorpion05

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":agrsza0x said:
We are spoiled freaking brats. We have a franchise Quarterback. What that means is that we have to live through the good and the bad that every QB has. There's really no point in even talking about regression unless you're wanting to move on. All Quarterbacks make mistakes. Aaron Rodgers failed to do last night, what Russell Wilson was asked to do EVERY GAME last year--which is win it by himself. Some of you want Drew Brees. Brees is 10 years older and wiser--let Russ get there. I can't understand or fathom wanting another QB on this team. You would take Mahomes because he's young and cheap, not because he's giving you anything Russell Wilson hasn't already given you.

The grass is pretty green on this side.

Not spoiled, just petty :sarcasm_off:

Fox Sports did an article last year Januar pointing out that Aaron Rodgers is 0-35 when trailing by at least 1 point in the 4th quarter. What's his record by now?? 0-36? 0-37? 1-37?

Aaron Rodgers has a LOSING record on the road in his career. Worst than notable starting Qbs in the past decade. And yet, everyone in media(except for Cowherd and Skip Bayless) this morning were giving him a pass. No criticism at all. Last night Troy Aikman was saying "Russell has to get rid of the ball there!!". But Aikman didn't bring the same negative energy when Rodgers, as he always does took a number of dumb sacks while holding the ball. Russ gets a lot of lopsided, nitpicking scrutiny not only from fans, but even in moments from the media. It's kind of irritating and yes, it matters. Complete BS

The guy is in a new system. He's asked to do things he hasn't done in 7 years. Most fans consider this to be a rebuilding year. Instead of acknowledging that, and giving Russ the kind of pass other QBs have gotten...allowing him to find himself in Schotty's imperfect offense...all I see is negative thread. After negative thread...after negative thread. It's pitiful. None of our losses were strictly on Russ. He is the reason we believe we can win on Sundays

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1vxb81tl said:
Seymour":1vxb81tl said:
Sgt. Largent":1vxb81tl said:
As the great Dennis Green once said, he is who we thought he was.

That's Russell. He hasn't regressed, he is who he's always been..............a QB that looks shaky in 80% of first halves and needs to get into rhythm and tempo gaining confidence as the game wears on.

Exactly what we saw last night. Lots of over and underthrows in the first half not looking very good. Then much better in the 2nd half.

More exaggerated BS on Wilson. 80% of entire first half? Wrong!

10-11 in the 2nd quarter yesterday just for starters. :pukeface:

Certainly you can see the difference in wilson from half to half.

Its not as significant this year as last. I think thats the run game impact.

But last year? Watching first halfs was painful

Sure I can. But this is exaggerated after that game where he was 10-11 in the 2nd Q. :177692:

I just dislike people stating GARBAGE that is no longer true.

Wilson is BETTER in the first half this year. That post is just wrong!!

In fact all his interceptions are 2nd half trying to do too much.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3labr3n2 said:
Sure I can. But this is exaggerated after that game where he was 10-11 in the 2nd Q. :177692:.

Sure, why use Russell's entire seven year career, or entire last full season when you can cherrypick one quarter of one game this year.

lol, good stuff Seymour.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3d1oy2v0 said:
Seymour":3d1oy2v0 said:
Sure I can. But this is exaggerated after that game where he was 10-11 in the 2nd Q. :177692:.

Sure, why use Russell's entire seven year career, or entire last full season when you can cherrypick one quarter of one game this year.

lol, good stuff Seymour.

Not Cherry Picking. I just posted his SEASON stats by half for Christ sakes. :roll:

Here is quarter by quarter for Wilson in 2018. Do some homework, or try to remember what you just watched (in 2018) how bout??

His highest passer rating is 2nd quarter FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON, and by a bunch!!! 75% compl. and 129 passer rating

Fade

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has regressed a lot athletically, he is no longer Fran Tarkenton. A lot of his sacks are coming from him thinking he still is Fran Tarkenton. He needs to adjust there. He took two sacks he shouldn't have, and caught a tipped pass he shouldn't have that the young Russ would of got away with. He needs to fix this and adjust.

Despite this though Wilson is finding a way to perform. I honestly can't bitch about these numbers.

66.2% - 2nd highest of his career (2015)

37 TDs - On pace for a new career high.

8 INTs - On pace for single digit interceptions once again, which would be the 4th time in his first 7 seasons. Not a lot of QBs have done that.

3507 yards - Middle of the pack for his career. A couple of big games down the stretch though and it will spike his numbers. He has 6 more games to do that. In the end though it is irrelevant if they keep running the ball the way they are.

110.2 Passer Rating - Would be a new career high.

66.2% | 37 TDs | 8 INTs | 3507 yds | 110.2 Rating

That is excellent production for a QB playing in a run first system. Historically it may be one of the best ever. How do you throw for 37 TDs in a run first system? Aaron Rodgers holds the single season TD% record at 9%. Russell's 2018 is 2nd at 8.5% of All-Time.

People need to chill the hell out with Russell Wilson. The focus needs to be on the defense. It is a defensive focused team, and they will not be championship contenders again until they consistently play at a championship level on that side of the ball. {They did in the 2nd half last night.)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Good Post Fade!

I was disappointed with his play early in the game in terms of his decisions and his accuracy and thought he was off his game. Catching that tipped ball was just dumb and he should have just dropped it or knocked it down.

He played pretty well in the 2nd half, in fact better than Rodgers did.

Wilson's running from scrimmage has regressed but he has improved in other areas. However, at times his accuracy seems to be typically weak to begin a game and improves as the game goes on. It'd be nice to see him make quicker decisions because at times he holds the ball too long or is overly cautious.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":2vvlp8r7 said:
Sgt. Largent":2vvlp8r7 said:
Seymour":2vvlp8r7 said:

lol, good stuff Seymour.

Not Cherry Picking. I just posted his SEASON stats by half for Christ sakes. :roll:

Here is quarter by quarter for Wilson in 2018. Do some homework, or try to remember what you just watched (in 2018) how bout??

His highest passer rating is 2nd quarter FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON, and by a bunch!!! 75% compl. and 129 passer rating

So all of a sudden he's an amazing first half passer. Did you not see the first quarter last night where he under and overthrew everyone in sight, including a wide open TD to Doug?

My statement isn't false because of half a year, or half a game. Russell's always had a much harder time getting in rhythm and tempo in the first half.

If you think he's miraculously different now, then that's great, but IMO he's always been the same type of QB, and he will continue to struggle more in the first half than second halves of games.......as he showed in the first quarter last night vs 2nd half.

Which is my entire point, he hasn't regressed, he's played the same as he always has......it's just his margin for error is MUCH MUCH less now during a defensive rebuild.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
His line is a ton better than in the past and I think Russell still sees ghosts from time to time. You can see him fighting through that and staying in the pocket longer than usual.

The OC needs to have more plays to the middle of the field. The TD play to Dickson was fantastic.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1f86oyvp said:
Seymour":1f86oyvp said:

lol, good stuff Seymour.

And one more thing. Read the thread title again. "Russ has regressed".

To determine that, you would need to look at his body of work this year and compare it to others. I dare you to ACTUALLY do that.

I dare you!!!

:snack:

Fact of the matter is, people remember that bad plays more than the good ones. Some here forget all the good ones intentionally because they are convinced of their theory and "it proves it".....so they think.

Seymour

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":1grzsyuf said:
]His line is a ton better than in the past and I think Russell still sees ghosts from time to time. You can see him fighting through that and staying in the pocket longer than usual.

The OC needs to have more plays to the middle of the field. The TD play to Dickson was fantastic.

Now there is a reasonable criticism with factual content. I would agree he is fighting through this. And I believe he will prevail in the end.

AgentDib

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2r0mre2m said:
I think the one thing that has regressed is this fan base.
I don't like threads like these either but large groups are never represented by the few vocal extreme opinions, particularly when posted on the internet. Consider the contingent of Saints fans who have been calling for Sean Payton to surrender his play calling abilities for four years now, or the Patriots fans in 2017 who wanted Brady benched.

Russ's first half accuracy seems like a fair topic for discussion to me although I do question whether anybody who thinks this is regression or a new problem has been watching the last six years. He's always needed some time to settle down and get into the game flow and usually makes up for any first quarter misses with big plays in the fourth quarter. Having an effective running game is a huge reason why we've been able to score TDs early in the last few games and I think we're seeing some good synergy from the offense lately.

toffee

Reaction score
Regression + too short + game manager = MUST trade

Happy now?

Oh forgot: Pete's lousy offense strategy + hiring the wrong OC contributed to Wilson's status.

Got to be happy now, right?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
The truth, as it always has been, is somewhere in the middle.

Russ is not terrible. Although he plays that way at times (as many QB's do)

Russ is not elite. Although he plays that way...often when we need him the most!!

I think the thing that sticks out to me is the polar opposites we see with him at times, and maybe that's one reason we see this debate so often. While some QB's have little mini stretches of struggles, Russ seems to either be LIGHTS OUT fantastic, throwing on the run, hitting his receivers in stride, scrambling at just the right moment....or HORRIBLY BAD...whole halves where he holds the ball, overthrows his receivers, makes bad decisions, etc.

Think back over the years...I mean even the Green Bay NFC championship game where he was as bad as a QB could ever be for 3 and a half quarters and then BOOM...,seemingly out of nowhere magic.

I know every QB probably has a bit of this, but with Russ, he seems to be very feast or famine. Last night was a perfect example of this.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tusc2000":77uywq97 said:
Russ is among the top 6 QBs in the league. Put him on a team with a decent O-line and you'd see the difference immediately.

He had a few bad throws early on last night, but so did future HOF'er Aaron Rodgers.

Given he's only 29, I'd take Russ over almost anyone in the league. Brady, Rodgers, Ben and Brees are better QBs, but they're also really old.

Given the OC talent over Russ through most of his career, it is amazing how well he's performed. Look at how Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz regressed when their OC's departed.

We are very lucky to have Russ. I wish more of you would recognize this.

Have to add here ^ Brady + Bellicheck ---Rodgers + McCarthy --- Brees + Payton. (not adding Ben cuz I don't believe that he's even remotely "Better" than Wilson)
What the other aforementioned great Quarterbacks have in common, is that they had Head Coaches that catered to their strengths, and built THE Offenses AROUND them.
We're seeing Wilson completely readjusting to a new OC's format, and as the head signal caller, he's having to re-skill on the fly.
I think it's amazing how well & how fast he's been adapting to the changes that's been thrown at him. :irishdrinkers:

AVL

Reaction score
This crap won't cease with every valley until he retires or grows 4 inches. He has always been held to a higher standard, like no one else has ever missed a read. Height bias is real.

Fade

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":1vbb5g9o said:
His line is a ton better than in the past and I think Russell still sees ghosts from time to time. You can see him fighting through that and staying in the pocket longer than usual.

Definitely true. The ghost of Tom Cable is still haunting RW a bit in the back of his mind. I will be interested to see where he is in this area in another two seasons. Wilson experienced 15 years worth of high duress QB pressure compressed into the span of 6 seasons. That is on Cable, and Carroll for being ignorantly loyal to the fable that is Cable.

rcaido

Reaction score
Im guessing Wilson must have gotten shorter & whiter throughout the years.

Latest posts