Russ has regressed as a QB

toffee

Reaction score
rcaido":2s5bf7wx said:
Im guessing Wilson must have gotten shorter & whiter throughout the years.

Nailed it!!!

Pete outdated offense approach has regressed Wilson so much that he is only 5’7” now, hard to play with platform shoes just to be respectable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seymour

Reaction score
Fade":a5p9oef8 said:
bevellisthedevil":a5p9oef8 said:
His line is a ton better than in the past and I think Russell still sees ghosts from time to time. You can see him fighting through that and staying in the pocket longer than usual.

The OC needs to have more plays to the middle of the field. The TD play to Dickson was fantastic.

Definitely true. The ghost of Tom Cable is still haunting RW a bit in the back of his mind. I will be interested to see where he is in this area in another two seasons. Wilson experienced 15 years worth of high duress QB pressure compressed into the span of 6 seasons. That is on Cable, and Carroll for being ignorantly loyal to the fable that is Cable.

Game winner right there!

This is what drove me nuts about Pete and his protection of Fable. You could see each year the paranoia in Wilson building as the hits continued. How we escaped him without serious injury is a miracle of it's own.

The sick part is, Russell saved Cable's job and enabled it to continue with his scrambling ability. Cable would have been gone 2-3 years sooner with any other QB because nobody else could function as a passer under him....period (see Derek Carr about to become David in year 1 right before our eyes !!!!)
Now Wilson gets to pay the ultimate price working through the ghosts and trying not to worry about saving his own life.

The people that cut him no slack with the now (and finally) changing conditions are pretty shitty fair weather fans IMO.

erik2690

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2jwl8w9h said:
Seymour":2jwl8w9h said:
Sgt. Largent":2jwl8w9h said:
As the great Dennis Green once said, he is who we thought he was.

That's Russell. He hasn't regressed, he is who he's always been..............a QB that looks shaky in 80% of first halves and needs to get into rhythm and tempo gaining confidence as the game wears on.

Exactly what we saw last night. Lots of over and underthrows in the first half not looking very good. Then much better in the 2nd half.

More exaggerated BS on Wilson. 80% of entire first half? Wrong!

10-11 in the 2nd quarter yesterday just for starters. :pukeface:

Last year Russell's completion percentage was a full 10% lower in the first half than 2nd, and he threw 6 first half TD's, compared to 26 in the 2nd half.

If you can't see that Russell is far sharper and accurate in the 2nd halves of games then he is in the 1st halves, then I don't know what the hell you're watching Seymour.

You only cited stats from last year though. QB's are fairly variational by half on a year to year basis. I've looked through many years of Drew Brees splits and he has 1 half significantly better than the other many years. Just this year Wilson has better numbers in half 1 vs. 2. Last year was aberrational b/c the gap was so wide but to make it seem like a long time issue doesn't match the stats. Career splits for halves for Wilson do not show a big gap. So last yer yes, very noticeable statistically, outside of that any half to half difference from Wilson was well within the standard variation you'd see from most any QB.

erik2690

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2wpxqrml said:
Seymour":2wpxqrml said:
Sgt. Largent":2wpxqrml said:
Seymour":2wpxqrml said:
Sure I can. But this is exaggerated after that game where he was 10-11 in the 2nd Q. :177692:.

Sure, why use Russell's entire seven year career, or entire last full season when you can cherrypick one quarter of one game this year.

lol, good stuff Seymour.

Not Cherry Picking. I just posted his SEASON stats by half for Christ sakes. :roll:

Here is quarter by quarter for Wilson in 2018. Do some homework, or try to remember what you just watched (in 2018) how bout??

His highest passer rating is 2nd quarter FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON, and by a bunch!!! 75% compl. and 129 passer rating

So all of a sudden he's an amazing first half passer. Did you not see the first quarter last night where he under and overthrew everyone in sight, including a wide open TD to Doug?

My statement isn't false because of half a year, or half a game. Russell's always had a much harder time getting in rhythm and tempo in the first half.

If you think he's miraculously different now, then that's great, but IMO he's always been the same type of QB, and he will continue to struggle more in the first half than second halves of games.......as he showed in the first quarter last night vs 2nd half.

Which is my entire point, he hasn't regressed, he's played the same as he always has......it's just his margin for error is MUCH MUCH less now during a defensive rebuild.

LOL, 'stop cherrypicking from one game'..........next post -did you not see that 1 quarter from the game' lol. Again go look up career splits. His 1st halves are not different enough to support these claims. It was true only last year. His rate stats have been better in first halves for 3 of his first 6 seasons and in 2015 his 108 first half passer rating was just beat by his 112 second half rating. Again this narrative of big 1st half struggles only shows up in the stats for 2017. All other years are fairly balanced. I just don't know how you are stating with such authority this 1st vs 2nd half gap when the stats don't match. Here's the career splits. Many first half rate stats actually better. Everything else fairly close. If you dig in deeper I would argue he is actually a 2nd/4th Q QB more than a 2nd half QB. That to me presents a better and more accurate way to frame talk about when he heats up and doesn't. We have to be accurate though and the 2nd Q which is in half 1 has been his second best Q by quite a ways through his career splits.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
uh, hes currently #3 in TDS thrown this season. On a team that is leading the league in rushing.

Fade

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":234hq7an said:
uh, hes currently #3 in TDS thrown this season. On a team that is leading the league in rushing.

Yep, very impressive. Like hitting 40 HRs, but you only get 400 ABs to do it, instead of the typical 550 for a middle of the lineup hitter.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Tusc2000":icu1svyt said:
Russ is among the top 6 QBs in the league. Put him on a team with a decent O-line and you'd see the difference immediately.He had a few bad throws early on last night, but so did future HOF'er Aaron Rodgers.

Given he's only 29, I'd take Russ over almost anyone in the league. Brady, Rodgers, Ben and Brees are better QBs, but they're also really old.

Given the OC talent over Russ through most of his career, it is amazing how well he's performed. Look at how Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz regressed when their OC's departed.

We are very lucky to have Russ. I wish more of you would recognize this.
He has a better than decent line this year so that excuse is over..
When he sandlots out of the pocket,no line can do much for him.
He is staying in the pocket more so the line can do it's job.. :2thumbs:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":110jz8kc said:

You throw to score but you run to win.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3lgt3e89 said:
Tusc2000":3lgt3e89 said:
Russ is among the top 6 QBs in the league. Put him on a team with a decent O-line and you'd see the difference immediately.He had a few bad throws early on last night, but so did future HOF'er Aaron Rodgers.

Given he's only 29, I'd take Russ over almost anyone in the league. Brady, Rodgers, Ben and Brees are better QBs, but they're also really old.

Given the OC talent over Russ through most of his career, it is amazing how well he's performed. Look at how Matt Ryan and Carson Wentz regressed when their OC's departed.

We are very lucky to have Russ. I wish more of you would recognize this.
He has a better than decent line this year so that excuse is over..
When he sandlots out of the pocket,no line can do much for him.
He is staying in the pocket more so the line can do it's job.. :2thumbs:

The film on obvious passing downs doesn’t show that at all. The Rams especially exposed that. Our O-line succeeds on passing downs when the defense isn’t sure what to expect. That does not compare to the great passing teams in the league that have better pass protection. Like the Rams

Now rushing? We arguably have the best rushing blocking O-line in the league. Helps when the defense is also worried about Wilson on read options, or Lockett on Jet sweeps. Schotty is doing a solid job making our pass blocking look better than it is with certain schemes at times, something Bevell couldn’t do

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
On pace for:

66% comp% (2nd highest of career)
3500 yards (4th highest)
8.8 adjusted yards per attempt* (2nd highest)
37 TDs (highest)
8 ints (tied for 2nd lowest)
110.2 QB rating (highest)

*pfref stat doesn’t include GB game

People are just blind sided or fickle about some key mistakes at the worst times and a few missed opportunities that led to failed comebacks or this team could easily be 7-3, 8-2. Russ is Russellin’

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Wtf is wrong with some of you ? How is he not elite? Literally every stat says he is.... Its like you people only live in a bubble ..... Brady, Rodgers, brees.... All have had terrible games, terrible throws etc...... And none of them have " carried" a team anywhere.... They have had help every year they have won a sb.... Which of course brees and Rodgers have the same number of those as Russ..... We would be the bills without Russ.

LTH

Reaction score
ducks41468":396vo5b9 said:
I love how even after a game in which he played well and led a game-winning drive the only posts you see on this site are still about how bad he sucks. I think at this point this fanbase almost deserves 10+ years of QB incompetence like the Bills or Jets just to add some perspective. Then again, those same fans like the OP will bail at the first sign of true adversity.

Also, here's a little tidbit I found on reddit last night after the game:

"Rodgers' has been doing this for years and its a big reason I've defended McCarthy (to an extent). Rodgers frequently and consistently ignores the easy throws his offense gives him to freelance. No one is willing and/or able to get him to just move the chains when he needs to at times. Easily his biggest fault as a QB."

It's filled with Packer fans complaining about how Rodgers, arguably the best pure QB of all time, is flawed and costing the team games. Imagine that! Players aren't perfect! They struggle and have bad games sometimes where they throw for fewer than 500 yards and 7 TDs. Our fanbase needs to pull its head out of its ass.

Where the heck is the like button!!! :2thumbs:

rcaido

Reaction score
.net Wilson haters...

1st half
Erin Rodgers he is goat...

Wilson not worth the money, too short, not black enough

2nd half
Watches Erin takes bad sacks, hold the ball, cant make the big plays when needed...Not so clutch after all. No score...Praise him for having awesome throws in 1st half.

Wilson comes up clutch with 3rd down conversion. Makes the game winning td drive.

Goes .net to post, Wilson is not elite.

Fade

Reaction score
Seymour":my1ieozn said:
Fade":my1ieozn said:
bevellisthedevil":my1ieozn said:
His line is a ton better than in the past and I think Russell still sees ghosts from time to time. You can see him fighting through that and staying in the pocket longer than usual.

The OC needs to have more plays to the middle of the field. The TD play to Dickson was fantastic.

Definitely true. The ghost of Tom Cable is still haunting RW a bit in the back of his mind. I will be interested to see where he is in this area in another two seasons. Wilson experienced 15 years worth of high duress QB pressure compressed into the span of 6 seasons. That is on Cable, and Carroll for being ignorantly loyal to the fable that is Cable.

Game winner right there!

This is what drove me nuts about Pete and his protection of Fable. You could see each year the paranoia in Wilson building as the hits continued. How we escaped him without serious injury is a miracle of it's own.

The sick part is, Russell saved Cable's job and enabled it to continue with his scrambling ability. Cable would have been gone 2-3 years sooner with any other QB because nobody else could function as a passer under him....period (see Derek Carr about to become David in year 1 right before our eyes !!!!)
Now Wilson gets to pay the ultimate price working through the ghosts and trying not to worry about saving his own life.

The people that cut him no slack with the now (and finally) changing conditions are pretty shitty fair weather fans IMO.

I was very entertained here on .NET during this period watching clowns defend Cable & Bevell because they were winning games, and me trying to explain to them that they were winning in spite of them. They couldn't understand the logic as they over simplified it and boiled it down to winning = automatically good coaching. Ha ha ha.

Nobody misses those two. Nobody.

Fade

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has 23 TDs & 110.2 Passer Rating

Aaron Rodgers has 19 TDs & 102.2 Passer Rating

Tom Brady has 17 TDs & 94.7 Passer Rating

How does the "Elite" Aaron Rodgers & Tom Brady have lower production than the glorified game manager in Russell Wilson?

Aaron Rodgers also has an Elite Pass Rush Defense (The Pack led the league in Sacks going into the game), a very good O-Line, a good, young runningback.

And he can't even manage a winning record.

Give Russell Wilson all of that and he would go to the superbowl every year.

Aaron Rodgers may possess the greatest skill set a QB has ever had, but his attitude is trash, and he loses far more than he should. Mike McCarthy will get the axe, but the next guy won't do any better. Aaron Rodgers is a point the finger at everybody else kind of guy.

I will cut Tommy some slack, as he is 41 years old, and has 5 superbowls.

These threads need to Stahp. The people creating them don't know what elite is. Since 2015 Russell Wilson's passing numbers hang with the best in the sport. That is with Tom Cable O-Lines, and not even factoring Wilson in as a runner where he absolutely destroys these guys..

STAHP!!

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I think one of the reasons people think that Russ has regressed is because the flash is gone. He still uses his legs to get out of trouble but still runs into to trouble 1 or 2 times a game. A few years ago, he was more dangerous of a runner than a passer. He is evolving into a better traditional QB. He will never be that guy again that keeps a run option and jukes everyone on the field and stiff arm a linebacker into the turf after running 20 yards for the score. That is not his style anymore.

People are going to miss the fact that he isn't that type of QB anymore. He is in it for longevity and growth as a qb while giving his team the best chance to win. He isn't a flash in the pan like Kaep, Vick, or Kordell Stewart. He is a former 3rd round pick that was too short to be considered as a traditional QB and he has tailored his game to be exactly that.

I am also going to assume that people who bash Wilson don't remember the plethora of Hall of fame QB's the Seahawks went through in the nineties.

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":1gq98a8f said:

How does the "Elite" Aaron Rodgers & Tom Brady have lower production than the glorified game manager in Russell Wilson?

Aaron Rodgers also has an Elite Pass Rush Defense (The Pack led the league in Sacks going into the game), a very good O-Line, a good, young runningback.

Aaron Rodgers may possess the greatest skill set a QB has ever had, but his attitude is trash, and he loses far more than he should. Mike McCarthy will get the axe, but the next guy won't do any better. Aaron Rodgers is a point the finger at everybody else kind of guy.

These threads need to Stahp. The people creating them don't know what elite is. Since 2015 Russell Wilson's passing numbers hang with the best in the sport. That is with Tom Cable O-Lines, and not even factoring Wilson in as a runner where he absolutely destroys these guys..

STAHP!!

YEP! Very beautifully said! :2thumbs:

LTH

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Fade":9wuhs6uh said:

STAHP!!

People don't let facts get in the way of their stupid opinions

Fade

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":2mph4q9n said:
I think one of the reasons people think that Russ has regressed is because the flash is gone. He still uses his legs to get out of trouble but still runs into to trouble 1 or 2 times a game. A few years ago, he was more dangerous of a runner than a passer. He is evolving into a better traditional QB. He will never be that guy again that keeps a run option and jukes everyone on the field and stiff arm a linebacker into the turf after running 20 yards for the score. That is not his style anymore.

People are going to miss the fact that he isn't that type of QB anymore. He is in it for longevity and growth as a qb while giving his team the best chance to win. He isn't a flash in the pan like Kaep, Vick, or Kordell Stewart. He is a former 3rd round pick that was too short to be considered as a traditional QB and he has tailored his game to be exactly that.

I am also going to assume that people who bash Wilson don't remember the plethora of Hall of fame QB's the Seahawks went through in the nineties.

He is playing back at his 2016 weight, he also got hurt that year as well, but he was chunkier. He worked with a speed coach in the off-season, slimmed down in 2017 and got his wheels back.

2018 he bulked up again. He could easily shed ten pounds, and get some of that quickness back, but yes he will never be the young Russ ever again, but that is okay because the great ones always find a way. His stats this year speak for themselves.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Russ's speed is the only thing that has regressed.. and I'd like to see him about 15 lbs lighter now that he has a line that can block.

Latest posts