Russ was CLASSY

toffee

Reaction score
What you saw him doing was trying to repaint the truth. He tries to point out that he has so many great relationships because in truth, many of them are fractured. He constantly says he knows he's great, because it was his greatness being questioned that led to JS wanting to trade him. He's always saying he knows he's one of the best, because people have questioned whether Denver was right in tradung for him.
It's basic psychology. With Russ, some of it is him actually saying out loud those things an emotional coach would have him saying to himself all the time to thwart negative thoughts. In other instances, he's painting over flaws.
I think I remember him saying how he was poised in the game. ... a strange thing to say about onesself after a perfirmance like his.
Its all easy to take as narcissistic behavior. Some of it certainly is being self absorbed. But I think some of it is also that he's just an odd duck and above all validates the stories about Pete protecting him. Dudes emotional stress... he wears it like that ugly suit he had on. He can't filter it.
Listening to Russ for years and years, I always felt like there's a vulnerable little child inside all the bravado and muscle. He is a complex dude, love to have dinner with him if the opportunity presents itself. All said, I like the '12 - '14 Russ, a bit nerdy but quite cultured and different.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
What is he supposed to do? Jog off the field with two middle fingers tucked next to his helmet like Jake Plummer flipping the crowd off? He was scripted as usual.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I saw a Russ last night that was trying to do things he didn't often do previously, which is to take what the defense gives you instead of looking to air it out every time. I suspect as he continues to improve in that regard he will become a better QB than he has been in the recent past. So, I don't agree that Russ played bad. I prefer to see it that our defense played pretty darned well.
He won't sustain it. It will erode a little each game and by week 4 he'll lose patience and revert to hero ball. The end of this game started that clock and they'll face much better pass rushing groups than ours going forward. If he gets too many dirty pockets he'll revert back much sooner.

My opinion of course

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Russell has beach front property in the Mojave Desert to sell you also.

Typical Russell fronting his Brand, his body language on the sidelines and expression shows he was not a happy camper. Last 4 or 5 years here he put on the same face, yet we find there was a lot of discontent as many of us thought behind the scenes that many made excuses for because HE SAID IN HIS PRESS CONFERENCE.
He was fake...thats what I got out of his post presser. No responsibility for any mistakes he made and horrible clock management. Still the same guy he was here...
Sorry but you have been deceived by a great narcissistic politician.

They say and act the way they want you to perceive them. Of course he has to be like that to protect his brand and image.
Classy...?
You're entitled to your broken hearted interpretation.
I saw a quarter billion $ blue ribbon donkey wearing a mint green silk suit speaking through his sports psychologist to keep his brand intact. The Bronco's have hitched their wagon to RW and I couldn't be happier for them.
Listen! Even if it was fake/acting it doesn't change the fact that he carried himself with class! Ever heard of taking the high road? Sometimes you might feel really angry at someone but the best thing to do is be the better man and not react!

Russell's conduct was pure class! He acted respectfully and kindly and accepted defeat with grace! If it was fake thats irrelevant, his actions spoke for themselves Monday night! Classy!

Donn2390

Reaction score
Look, I thought Russell played terrible (as I predicted) but I need to give him some credit and say he carried himself with class.

He handled the boos very well and was graceful to his former teammates both before and after the game. He also stuck around to trade jerseys with DK.

He was also class in his post game presser, complementing the Hawks and refusing to throw his coach under the buss for what was a baffling decision.

Yes, I thought russ carried himself with class last night. He earned some respect back from me. I wish he hadn't been bood.
Russ is a con artist. Con artists are successful because they are good at convincing people they have good intentions. The con apparently worked on you as it did on the majority of Seattle for years..

Optimus25

Reaction score
He played fairly well considering this is a good defense with a new staff and scheme. He threw for 350 almost had 2 touchdowns etc. He wasn't his usual great self but he was fairly good.

HIm and DK are buddies so not shocked they switched jerseys.
Yeah i think it was just the same qb we saw for the past decade: can’t sustain drives with superior accuracy a la Brady, but just competes within the frame work of the game to win in the end via occasional big play strikes and clutch 4 quarter running/screens/outlet passes. Not a single thing was different and Denver fans are going to be shocked to learn Russ never wins in the first half and you will spend your days clutching your seat for the entire 4th quarter.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
I watched Mahomes almost throw 3 too. Almost doesn't count. I still think he played fairly well all things considered.

Did you also watch Mahomes throw 5 TDs? We are talking about more than just stats here: Russ did not do anything to justify his salary. He may have played "fairly well" (arguable, but whatever) but he did not come close to earning his game day check.

He played an extremely young defense that has been bottom of the league the last few years, and honestly probably will be pretty poor this year as well. All Russ could do on 42 pass attempts was a shit ton of dump offs and one flukey TD that was a near interception. Imagine if Mahomes had played Seattle, and threw the ball 42 times...

Last edited:

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Listen! Even if it was fake/acting it doesn't change the fact that he carried himself with class! Ever heard of taking the high road? Sometimes you might feel really angry at someone but the best thing to do is be the better man and not react!

Russell's conduct was pure class! He acted respectfully and kindly and accepted defeat with grace! If it was fake thats irrelevant, his actions spoke for themselves Monday night! Classy!

Conduct like using his agent to strong arm the team via public opinion? Nah, Russ is a snake who talks out of both sides of his mouth. He will never appear to be the bad guy, because it would be detrimental to his brand, he will just channel all the negative shit through someone else.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I missed the pc so I'm trying to figure out who his friends are?
Dk might be when not playing with him.
From what I saw was a big mix of ex Hawks who certainly are
not his friends..Pete is not his friend either.
I think Russ in his own world has many friends..Oh wait I know
his friends..John63 and Dean..They count!

HawkStrong

Reaction score

To be fair, DK, Lockett, and a number of other players have always spoken highly of Russ. That doesn't mean there wasn't a large group of Seahawks that did not like with him, or at the very least resented the way Russ was protected by the front office. I know for a fact Doug Baldwin absolutely hates Russ for his fake personality, and he has all but admitted to me that many of the players on the Super Bowl squad felt the same way.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Listen to KJ on the radio today. he laughed at the idea they don't like Russ and called him a brother and someone he loves. He laughed out loud at the idea he isn't liked. Sherman/Baldwin I don't think like him but they have a history of trashing the team, Pete everyone. Turbin said the same thing on the radio. I think a lot of this talk is scorned ex talk. He's different, corny and a little goofy but he's not a bad dude who no one likes.

Ozzy

Reaction score
To be fair, DK, Lockett, and a number of other players have always spoken highly of Russ. That doesn't mean there wasn't a large group of Seahawks that did not like with him, or at the very least resented the way Russ was protected by the front office. I know for a fact Doug Baldwin absolutely hates Russ for his fake personality, and he has all but admitted to me that many of the players on the Super Bowl squad felt the same way.
KJ just laughed at the idea that a lot of the ex players don't like him. I believe Doug doesn't but the idea everyone else does is overblown.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Doug is also a little grumpy so there's that :ROFLMAO:
Some liked him, some didn't. Glad he's gone, it was def. time.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
I saw a Russ last night that was trying to do things he didn't often do previously, which is to take what the defense gives you instead of looking to air it out every time. I suspect as he continues to improve in that regard he will become a better QB than he has been in the recent past. So, I don't agree that Russ played bad. I prefer to see it that our defense played pretty darned well.
Since you mentioned this here - I'm also curious - do you think he will truly be able to chance his ways and stick with "doing the things he didn't often previously do" in order to become a much better QB? Or will he grow tired and frustrated by it and simply revert to the Russ we knew?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is a pretty good sign he was doing that in a game he likely really wanted to win.
He was using TEs, passing to RBs, throwing screens - everything but the quick slants (which we already know he can throw). I was pining for us to use those kinds of throws more during his time here. It probably doesn't matter whose fault it is, since he is gone.
But he clearly was capable of it.
10 years of playing a certain way is hard to overcome. But I think he sees the benefit. Part might be that he was not in sync with his WR and had no choice.
He passed for 340 yards. Just didn't put it in the EZ. If his RBs don't fumble, everyone talks about how great he did.
We know Wilson is usually nails in the RZ so he probably improves there.
Not impressed with his WRs though, so he might have no choice. That pass in the EZ that was dropped, usually wasn't dropped in Seattle.

I'd pass more to the middle if I was him too. I don't trust those WRs to be very good at all.