Russ was CLASSY

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Since you mentioned this here - I'm also curious - do you think he will truly be able to chance his ways and stick with "doing the things he didn't often previously do" in order to become a much better QB? Or will he grow tired and frustrated by it and simply revert to the Russ we knew?
There is always a tendency as a player to fall back into what has been a comfort zone for you. But there is also a strong desire to get better, even while compensating for decline in skill level. Russ is having to deal with all those things, but he's a smart guy who will be forced to adapt in order to prolong his career.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Either Russ read dot net or one of his people is on dot net. In his post game presser, he spent time to addressing that he has friends in Hawks' locker room. He named names and the frequency of connecting with each other. That took up a BIG chunk of his presser time. Almost like he made effort to dispute what we have been saying on dot net that he has no friends in the locker room.

May be we need to be more careful with our language in talking about players, they do read social media and they do have feelings.
Russ, and or handlers, if you are reading this, go read "No More Mr Nice Guy." Seriously, it will change your (Wilson's) life.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
He was also class in his post game presser, complementing the Hawks and refusing to throw his coach under the buss for what was a baffling decision.
Why on earth would he have thrown his coach under the bus? The coach said all the right stuff -- "That's on me" "It starts with me" etc. All the brand has to do at that point is keep his mouth shut. That's not class, that's watching someone throw himself on his sword for you.

HawkFreak

Reaction score
There is always a tendency as a player to fall back into what has been a comfort zone for you. But there is also a strong desire to get better, even while compensating for decline in skill level. Russ is having to deal with all those things, but he's a smart guy who will be forced to adapt in order to prolong his career.
Any idea why he wasn't interested in "getting better" and changing his playing style to do those things in Seattle?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yeah, no.

Yeah I'm going to take KJ's word over yours. Multiple other players coming out and saying the exact same thing as well. Baldwin is a clown as is Sherman.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I listened to the whole interview, you didn't apparently. Go listen to the whole thing. He said he loves Russ like a brother and then laughed when Salk said Pete said the win was important for you guys because it was Russ. KJ laughed his as ass off. Mcourty who is close friends with many of his ex-teamates was on NFL network yesterday and said the same thing. Everyone he talks to likes Russ outside of a couple of outliers. Sherman and Baldwin have a history of shitting on Pete and the team so I'm not going to take their opinions as a measure for how every other player feels. Turbin was there as well and said a lot of this stuff is ridiculous.

toffee

Reaction score
Why on earth would he have thrown his coach under the bus? The coach said all the right stuff -- "That's on me" "It starts with me" etc. All the brand has to do at that point is keep his mouth shut. That's not class, that's watching someone throw himself on his sword for you.
How did Russ throw Hackett under the bus.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I found it interesting that Pete mentioned on Brock and Salk (Monday) that he discussed with Russell a couple of years ago that Russ was going to need to change up his game as he aged. He also said that it's hard for guys to do that sometimes because they've been playing one way since they were kids.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
I listened to the whole interview, you didn't apparently. Go listen to the whole thing. He said he loves Russ like a brother and then laughed when Salk said Pete said the win was important for you guys because it was Russ. KJ laughed his as ass off. Mcourty who is close friends with many of his ex-teamates was on NFL network yesterday and said the same thing. Everyone he talks to likes Russ outside of a couple of outliers. Sherman and Baldwin have a history of shitting on Pete and the team so I'm not going to take their opinions as a measure for how every other player feels. Turbin was there as well and said a lot of this stuff is ridiculous.

Oh, Austin... I listened to the whole interview. Why are you ignoring what KJ says here, right after you said you would take KJ's word for it?

How naive are you? Clearly there were divisions within the locker room from early on. I am not saying there AREN'T players who "love" Russ. There were (and will continue to be) a large number of players who don't love Russ. It's not just Baldwin and Sherm. There's a reason why Pete acted the way he did, and referenced that MANY players even on the current team were amped about this win over Russ specifically.

There is a very clear narrative here that you are ignoring.

Last edited:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Any idea why he wasn't interested in "getting better" and changing his playing style to do those things in Seattle?
That is something I do not understand. The only explanation I can come up with is that he felt like the only thing that might work for him was to play to his best strengths.
Because "business" is so much of the nfl picture these days playing to HIS strengths probably overshadowed what would have been best for the team. His "carry the team" comment points that direction in a backhanded fashion.

balakoth

Reaction score
Look, I thought Russell played terrible (as I predicted) but I need to give him some credit and say he carried himself with class.

He handled the boos very well and was graceful to his former teammates both before and after the game. He also stuck around to trade jerseys with DK.

He was also class in his post game presser, complementing the Hawks and refusing to throw his coach under the buss for what was a baffling decision.

Yes, I thought russ carried himself with class last night. He earned some respect back from me. I wish he hadn't been bood.
So... some how acting the same way he has for 10 years.. some how gained your respect? ROFL Okkkkkk

balakoth

Reaction score
He played fairly well considering this is a good defense with a new staff and scheme. He threw for 350 almost had 2 touchdowns etc. He wasn't his usual great self but he was fairly good.

HIm and DK are buddies so not shocked they switched jerseys.
Tweets... media lip services etc... You actually value those things?

Seahawker

Reaction score
We all know Pete pushed competition to the highest degree. Sometimes Lynch was the deciding factor in a given win, often it was the defense/LOB and RW3 logged a couple seasons worth of heroics himself. Arguing about who should get the credit or blame became a cancer and whoever did the finger pointing caused it to metastasize. What tends to get glossed over a bit is that PC & JS created this monster and IMHO deserve far more credit for the success enjoyed than any conflicts between players spurred by a climate of competition. It is rare that a NFL QB holds both 'coach on the field' traits while possessing a killer instinct for wins, people can decide for themselves where RW's mentality lies. Sometimes leadership requires walking a fine line around offensive & defensive units, Super Bowl 49 polarized the Seahawks to the point of no return.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Yeah i think it was just the same qb we saw for the past decade: can’t sustain drives with superior accuracy a la Brady, but just competes within the frame work of the game to win in the end via occasional big play strikes and clutch 4 quarter running/screens/outlet passes. Not a single thing was different and Denver fans are going to be shocked to learn Russ never wins in the first half and you will spend your days clutching your seat for the entire 4th quarter.
Agree and where the rubber meets the road in the 4th quarter, his legs cant get it done as easily now. I suspect if you chart all of his comeback drives a large majority will have 1 or 2 key conversions on 3/4th down breaking the pocket and running. His late comebacks have decreased exponentially alongside his loss of speed and quickness.

A quick exercise, when's his last 2 comeback drives/wins? I can't remember any. I went from almost knowing we'd comeback if given the opportunity, to feeling like game over if we hadn't ti3d or taken the lead by mid 4th quarter

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Agree and where the rubber meets the road in the 4th quarter, his legs cant get it done as easily now. I suspect if you chart all of his comeback drives a large majority will have 1 or 2 key conversions on 3/4th down breaking the pocket and running. His late comebacks have decreased exponentially alongside his loss of speed and quickness.

A quick exercise, when's his last 2 comeback drives/wins? I can't remember any. I went from almost knowing we'd comeback if given the opportunity, to feeling like game over if we hadn't ti3d or taken the lead by mid 4th quarter

I think technically Wilson's last comeback was the last game of the season last year vs Arizona. Hawks took the lead at the start of the 4th quarter, and never looked back. So while it fits the category, it doesn't really fit what you are talking about.

He hasn't had a legit game winning drive since midway through 2020, he had two that year versus Minny and Dallas.