Russel Wilson is the best payer in the NFL

W

Welshers

Bar none. Statistics be damned. He may finish second in the MVP race to Mahomes, but he is the best player. Mahomes is in a very different offensive scheme with a team that had been consistently winning before him and that also won some games last year with him injured.

The Chiefs had four straight winning seasons before Mahomes was drafted. The Seahawks had four straight losing seasons before Wilson was drafted.

Where would the Seahawks be without Wilson? Wilson was rated #2 in the NFL top 100 by his peers this year behind only Lamar. And Lamar has fell off hard. Wilson is the best player in the National Football League and he is on our team. We may win it all.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Rat":1dh1cqhb said:
Aaron Donald followed by Mahomes. Russ is in the mix after that,
I gues best is a very subjective word. But I dont think either make as big an impact on their team as Wilson does

Mizak

Reaction score
Welshers":mweuhso7 said:
Rat":mweuhso7 said:
I gues best is a very subjective word. But I dont think either make as big an impact on their team as Wilson does

Since the week of November 17, 2019, guess how many games the Chiefs have lost?

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Mizak":1rht379p said:
Welshers":1rht379p said:
Rat":1rht379p said:

Without checking, I'm guessing one? Just the loss this year to the Raiders I believe. I mean, they have clearly been the better football team. But that doesn't mean Mahomes is better than Wilson. The Chiefs won games last year while Mahomes was injured. I would hazard to guess they would still be a playoff team without him. They had been before he got there. Would the Seahawks be a playoff team without Russel Wilson? I think not

pinksheets

Reaction score
We'll get a better idea of what Mahomes can do on his own in the next few years when he's taking up a superstar QB portion of the cap and the surrounding cast starts to dwindle. His cap hit is like $11m this year and will be jumping up $23m next, $29m after that, and then about $40m.

rcaido

Reaction score
Mizak":1d0qenoi said:
Welshers":1d0qenoi said:
Rat":1d0qenoi said:

Well before that he was 1-3, so what.

Wilson is battle tested, we will see how Mahomes performs once salary cap kicks in w/ less talent. Mahomes inherited a good team. Chiefs were winning their division w/ Alex Smith few years before Mahomes. When Mahomes dont' play they still win with a back up backup QB, that just shows how much talent the Chiefs have.

Imagine a backup qb playing for the Seahawks?

Wilson has been the best player this decade.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
pinksheets":3cry05hb said:
We'll get a better idea of what Mahomes can do on his own in the next few years when he's taking up a superstar QB portion of the cap and the surrounding cast starts to dwindle. His cap hit is like $11m this year and will be jumping up $23m next, $29m after that, and then about $40m.
I've been waiting to see this and until then I agree RW is the best player.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Mizak":j6a2immo said:
Welshers":j6a2immo said:
Rat":j6a2immo said:

How many games did the Chiefs lose in the 3-4 games Mahomes missed in 2019?

KinesProf

Reaction score
He isn't, but that's okay.

He's in the tier after Mahomes and Donald.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
So, let's delve deeper into Head Coaching philosophies just a little, didn't Reed & Gruden coach under Mike Holmgren?, and didn't they all have one thing in common?, didn't they all have a penchant for building their teams with stellar Offenses?, with the Quarterbacks being their cornerstones?
This was huge for Mahomes, as everything revolved around setting him up to succeed.
Russ is on his second OC in eight years.
Wilson is and has been keeping the Seahawks in the conversation since he came here, and one hell of a lot of our successes are attributed to this ONE single individual.
Now down through the years, we've had Quarterbacks that have laid a lot of eggs, but RW is the proverbial goose that keeps on laying the golden ones. lolololol :irishdrinkers:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I would definitely agree he's been the best player in the NFL over the past 8 years. No player has done more with less than Russell Wilson, period, end of story, close the book.

However, I can't go so far as to call him the best player in the NFL right now. Regardless of valid arguments presented above, I still can't look past Mahomes. Donald yes of course some would call him the best player but for me it's:

Mahomes
Wilson
Donald

Now as for MVP? It's Wilson plain and simple for me because Wilson defines and epitomizes the term Most Valuable Player for his team. Mahomes has ridiculous talent around him while Wilson has always had to make it a career to make an average or even below average team a contender.

He may not be the best player in everyone's eyes but should be top 3 in most people's minds.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Unfortunately, a lot of this will be determined by his Seattle finishes his year.

If Seattle makes the Super Bowl against not any team not the Chiefs, Wilson will get the nod.

I think Wilson was in the running but he then started throwing all those picks.

That really hurt him.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Mahomes is a great, great player with tremendous offensive strengths maximized by his coach whose own strengths are on offense.

Wilson is a great, great player with tremendous offensive strengths mitigated by his coach whose own strengths are on defense and who tends to gravitate to offenses that do not align with what Wilson does best.

Wilson produces in spite of Pete whereas Mahomes produces more while being empowered by his coach and staff.

There is no way to make a valid comparison between the 2 because they are both in such radically different situations.

What is clear is that Mahomes is younger. There is more upside because he will not have years of having his own coach hold him back. It would make no sense to pick Wilson over Mahomes.

In the numbers, standings, and likely # of SB rings, Mahomes is most likely going to outpace Wilson. Not sure any football fan outside of Seattle would take Wilson over Mahomes but most would also give anything to see Wilson as the QB for their team.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
As for Donald, I have a small beef with people that think he's the best player in the NFL. The reason is simple. He has ONE task, and that is to get after the quarterback and make tackles, which true, he does as an interior lineman better than anyone else in the league. However, quarterbacks have a lot more tasks than that to be successful so to me it's always apples to oranges.

If folks say Donald is the best DEFENSIVE player in the league, then by all means, I would agree. But comparing what Mahomes or Wilson or Rodgers is doing to be elite, versus what Donald is doing, is just not comparable to me.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Aros":1i3ljfk1 said:
As for Donald, I have a small beef with people that think he's the best player in the NFL. The reason is simple. He has ONE task, and that is to get after the quarterback and make tackles, which true, he does as an interior lineman better than anyone else in the league. However, quarterbacks have a lot more tasks than that to be successful so to me it's always apples to oranges.

If folks say Donald is the best DEFENSIVE player in the league, then by all means, I would agree. But comparing what Mahomes or Wilson or Rodgers is doing to be elite, versus what Donald is doing, is just not comparable to me.
Rankings of importance:

1. QB
2. Player that can get after the QB

FPD

Reaction score
Aros":31ha9ina said:
I would definitely agree he's been the best player in the NFL over the past 8 years. No player has done more with less than Russell Wilson, period, end of story, close the book.

However, I can't go so far as to call him the best player in the NFL right now. Regardless of valid arguments presented above, I still can't look past Mahomes. Donald yes of course some would call him the best player but for me it's:

Mahomes
Wilson
Donald

Now as for MVP? It's Wilson plain and simple for me because Wilson defines and epitomizes the term Most Valuable Player for his team. Mahomes has ridiculous talent around him while Wilson has always had to make it a career to make an average or even below average team a contender.

He may not be the best player in everyone's eyes but should be top 3 in most people's minds.

I agree with everything you said here Todd...Especially the highlighted part. I suppose it just depends upon how you define MVP.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
FPD":3idvod7y said:
I agree with everything you said here Todd...Especially the highlighted part. I suppose it just depends upon how you define MVP.

That's always been my problem with the MVP award. It has little to do with the true meaning of the term, and much more to do with pure stats. Sure, stats can be an indicator of success but it rarely tells the whole story. The NFL world wants to anoint MVP based on stats first, team success second. Usually, if not always, the two go hand-in-hand. The emphasis on stats is what bothers me.

Like I said before, I would be hard pressed to think of one single human being in the NFL that has exemplified the true meaning of "Most Valuable Player" to their team other than Russell Wilson over the majority of his career. And no, that's not a diehard Seahawks fan talking, that's the honest truth.

Yet, I understand it's a popularity contest as much as anything. The shiny new toy is going to beat out just about anything else, it's simply human nature. Take last year as example. Russell was the leading candidate for MVP through the mid-point of the season until Lamar Jackson decided to stop being a human and decided to be a video game character for the rest of the year.

Russell's stats trickled off late in the season while Jackson's stats were pretty dang terrific if not eye-popping in some categories. So I definitely get why he was voted as the 2019 MVP over Wilson. Not many would argue that result. I take nothing away from Lamar's performance last year.

2019 is a classic example of taking statistical performance over what I personally believe it truly means to be a Most Valuable Player for your football team. In fact, I would go so far as to say there needs to be two separate awards. One for Most Valuable Player, and one for Most Exciting Player.

MVP, MEP.

Not that that will ever happen but that's the distinction I feel about the topic.

I think Russell should have been MEP maybe a couple times so far in his career, but MVP? Damn near all of his career.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Russ does things no one else can. Mahomes is the better passer.

If you have 80 yards to cover in 2 minutes, I’ll take either. If it’s 4th and 13 and you need a first down, I’ll take Wilson.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
SonicHawk":8wuuep67 said:
If you have 80 yards to cover in 2 minutes, I’ll take either. If it’s 4th and 13 and you need a first down, I’ll take Wilson.

Well put and I agree. Although most would say they would be happy to have both in that situation.