Russell Okung signs with Broncos ($53m/5yr OR $5m/1yr)

BlueBlood

Reaction score
I am glad we didn't fork over that much money for the guy who always seemed to have a nagging injury and always seemed a play away of being out for the season..

I sure hope there is someone out there for us though. We can't just not have an offensive line next year .

Basis4day

Reaction score
mrt144":34q8u9z0 said:
DavidSeven":34q8u9z0 said:
I am guessing Seattle's offer was around the $9M/yr that was reported. Interestingly, if you take out Webb's deal, then they would've easily had the money, though maybe they wouldn't have spent that much on principle.

This dampens this FA period for me. Getting Okung (or another solid LT) would've made this period an overall success. But without that, it's quite underwhelming to me. Hard to see how we're any better than last year. Everything hinges on either the draft or trading for a half-broken Ryan Clady.

I think it's for the best in the long run though.

Had Okung had a stellar injury history in the pros i would feel that way.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't know, guys. You guys are saying the exact same things you said when we shipped off Unger, Carpenter, Giacomini.

Where has that left us?

Alexander

Reaction score
massari":zz9qtub1 said:
Nice. So they get a 3rd (Okung), 4th (Irvin), 5th (Sweezy), 6th (Mebane) in comp picks next year?

At the moment I believe the Sowell and Webb signings cancel out the picks we would get for Mebane and Sweezy, though that could change depending on how the rest of FA plays out. I'm guessing when all is said and done, Mebane will be canceled out by Webb, while the Sweezy pick will stand.

The 3rd for Okung and 4th for Irvin look pretty safe, though.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
With the Osweiler, Vernon, Jenkins and Osemele contracts, I highly doubt we will get a 3rd round comp from this. Most likely a 4th. They usually only give a few 3rd rounders out each year and this free agency has been pretty insane with the money handed out.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3b10fe1t said:
The $12m/yr number probably factors in various incentives (that may or may not be realistic).

$10.6m sounds like the base figure. Interested to see the guarantees/structuring.

I still think we should have signed him. Unless Joe Thomas is walking through those doors.

Meh, 10.6m for an injury proned, penalty proned left tackle who only had one truly elite season who is only getting older and more injury proned.

If anything Okung should have gave the Hawks an 8m apy contract discount for fleecing them on his rookie deal of 6 yrs, $58 m and never really consistently playing up to that contract.

Okungs value looked significant only because guys like McQuistan and Bailey had to replace him in duty.

massari

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1abm9sed said:
I am guessing Seattle's offer was around the $9M/yr that was reported. Interestingly, if you take out Webb's deal, then they would've easily had the money, though maybe they wouldn't have spent that much on principle.

This dampens this FA period for me. Getting Okung (or another solid LT) would've made this period an overall success. But without that, it's quite underwhelming to me. Hard to see how we're any better than last year. Everything hinges on either the draft or trading for a half-broken Ryan Clady.
Would've loved to take a chance on Beachum. The Jags got him for 4.5M with a chance to make 6M this season with incentives.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Godspeed, Russell!

I'm confident the 'Hawks will get someone at #26 that is:
  • Just as talented
    About 6 years younger
    More durable
    And about $5-7 million cheaper per year

They might be a right tackle, and Gilliam might move over to left tackle. But Gilliam's progress last year makes that an acceptable alternative for me.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Alexander":iwho9vpa said:
massari":iwho9vpa said:
Nice. So they get a 3rd (Okung), 4th (Irvin), 5th (Sweezy), 6th (Mebane) in comp picks next year?

At the moment I believe the Sowell and Webb signings cancel out the picks we would get for Mebane and Sweezy, though that could change depending on how the rest of FA plays out. I'm guessing when all is said and done, Mebane will be canceled out by Webb, while the Sweezy pick will stand.

The 3rd for Okung and 4th for Irvin look pretty safe, though.

Sowell will cost us a 5th round pick. Webb's would normally cancel out Mebane. But it's total qualified UFAs lost minus qualified UFAs gained.

Hard to see Sowell remaining on the roster. It'd be adding a replacement level OL player at premium cost for the cost of a 5th round pick at this point. Don't see us making that 'trade'. The final addition and loss calculation is done at the cutdown to 53.

mikeak

Reaction score
No idea if representing himself is good until the terms are out. Don't know the guaranteed amounts what is guaranteed for injury etc

Yeah looks good on paper

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The worst part of this for me:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/710566876456165376[/tweet]

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Pretty crazy how the Seahawks haven't been able to develop a single OL worth re-signing in Cable's 5-year tenure.

Saw this one twitter - Crazy if you think about it yet Cable is never the problem. Wilson is young but he is also smaller than most QB's. Seahawks need to start getting serious about investing in Oline before their franchise QB gets seriously injured.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The "penalty prone" thing is such a fiction.

He average less penalties last year than 35 other tackles, including Joe Thomas, Tyron Smith, Trent Williams, Jason Peters, Andrew Whitworth, Lane Johnson and just about any other "elite" OT you can name.

I wish we could've kept him, but I don't blame him for wanting a clean start. Dude caught so much undeserved flack.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
DavidSeven":okz3pqc6 said:
I don't know, guys. You guys are saying the exact same things you said when we shipped off Unger, Carpenter, Giacomini.

Where has that left us?

In the playoffs every year.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1fee6lol said:
DavidSeven":1fee6lol said:

Where has that left us?

In the playoffs every year.

And losing because we got killed by Kawann Short, who isn't even that good? Nice.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Archer":uj9stnhr said:
With the Osweiler, Vernon, Jenkins and Osemele contracts, I highly doubt we will get a 3rd round comp from this. Most likely a 4th. They usually only give a few 3rd rounders out each year and this free agency has been pretty insane with the money handed out.

Okung replaces Sean Smith in the OTC comp projection which is the last 3rd round comp.

razor150

Reaction score
DavidSeven":6oqgywbh said:

Where has that left us?

I have no problem with them being gone, I DO have a problem with them being gone without an equal or better replacement. This front office has shown a real lack of judgement when it comes to the offensive line.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2c3nxclu said:
Kinda disappointed by this, leaves another big whole on the oline to fill.

Did you really think he was coming back?

Personally I would have been more disappointed today if they would have brought him back at the dollars he got from Horse Face..

Latest posts