Russell Wilson Changing NFL Agents?

kidhawk

Reaction score
According to Adam Schefter it looks like Wilson is shifting from his current NFL agent to his Baseball Agent. I doubt this means anything in terms of his upcoming contract renewal, other than who we negotiate with, but thought I'd post it since it's out there.

In a memo the NFL sent teams today, it informed them that Seahawks QB Russell Wilson, eligible for a new deal after this season, is changing agents, per sources.
Another source said that Wilson is likely to go with his baseball agent, Mark Rodgers. Wilson did speak recently with his former NFL agent Bus Cook, and praised Cook but wanted to keep all his business with one agent, thus the change.
A source close to Wilson said Cook was not fired, but simply the quarterback was making a change.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/545355282982121472[/tweet]

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This can only mean one thing: Russ is going for a completely guaranteed contract like baseball players get.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Maybe he's getting ready to go all bo Jackson/Deion sanders on us?

Does anybody know how good he really was at baseball? Could he have made it to MLB? Seems like the kind of guy who could do anything he decided to do.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1bdwulju said:

Does anybody know how good he really was at baseball? Could he have made it to MLB? Seems like the kind of guy who could do anything he decided to do.

His Seahawk contract may have an exclusionary clause in it.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3uadfvtq said:

I heard he couldn't hit a curveball ( or maybe it was a fastball?) either way, I kind of assumed he's probably just not needing double the agents. Maybe his baseball agent wasn't properly licensed for the NFL at the time, and is now, and he wants to move forward with this one. Anybody can do the rookie contracts, but this new one will need a bit more expertise to make all parties happy.

At least that's my thinking....who knows what Wilson's thinking

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2s2d4dfx said:

Hit .229 in Class A baseball. Not the greatest of prospects.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, from the not-too-long-ago article about Russell's inner circle: the three guys that handle all his outside business interests, interviews, schedules, phone calls, flights, etc. etc., one of the three guys was the son of his football agent (who he'd picked off the internet while still at NC State). The other two guys were a childhood friend from like 3rd grade and another close friend who's dad/uncle were pro golfers.

I'm sure Russ will take care of him one way or the other... Russell Inc. might be getting so big that he needs more help in other areas.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
PFT has some interesting points,

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, Wilson has parted ways with Bus Cook, who has represented Wilson since he was drafted in 2012. And as further proof of the carefully-manicured Russell Wilson image, the leak to Schefter came with an obvious request that the move be characterized as something other than what it really is.

“A source close to Wilson said Cook was not fired, but simply the quarterback was making a change,” Schefter wrote on Facebook.

Sure, Wilson was making a change. He was making a change by firing Cook.

You can’t change an agent without firing the agent. Unless Cook resigned or retired (and he didn’t), Wilson initiated the process of changing agents; Wilson fired Cook.

(Why would Schefter push something so obviously not true, you may ask? Bookmark this page for when Schefter breaks the news that Wilson has signed a new mega-contract with a Seahawks.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/ca ... rumor-mill

Obviously don't know the circumstances (cook could've been a crap agent, idk), but the timing is definitely unfortunate for Cook if he gets nada of that new contract.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1vs6vtlp said:
JSeahawks":1vs6vtlp said:

I heard he couldn't hit a curveball ( or maybe it was a fastball?)

Apparently the bats, they are sick. He cannot hit curveball. Straightball he hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. He asks Jobu to come, take fear from bats.

rjdriver

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1ldeosr2 said:
kidhawk":1ldeosr2 said:
JSeahawks":1ldeosr2 said:

I heard he couldn't hit a curveball ( or maybe it was a fastball?)

Apparently the bats, they are sick. He cannot hit curveball. Straightball he hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. He asks Jobu to come, take fear from bats.

Are you trying to tell me Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
The fact is that his relationship with Rodgers pre-dates his relationship with Bus Cook.

Russell Wilson was selected by the Colorado Rockies in the fourth round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Rule 4 Draft. Rodgers served as his advisor throughout the pre-draft process and signing period, and assisted Wilson with negotiating a $200,000 signing bonus. Wilson was a struggling second baseman in the Rockies’ farm system, referred to as “a work in progress on the diamond, where he has limited experience.” Wilson and Rodgers determined it would be best for the hybrid athlete to return to the football field (he had formerly been a quarterback at NC State), and Wilson embarked on a journey to fight for the starting spot at the University of Wisconsin.

“He’s just a 22-year-old kid who wants to keep his options open,” Rodgers said at the time. ”The Rockies haven’t closed the door on him coming back. And Russell has not closed the door.” Rodgers told his client that baseball would always be an option for him, but that the window to show off his skill in football would close quickly if he chose not to immediately pursue that route. The agent says it is the single best piece of advice he has ever given Wilson.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitn ... all-agent/

And according to other reports, Rodgers has been Wilson's marketing guru and his lawyer for a long while now. So it looks very much like Wilson went with two agents for his two sports, picking up Bus Cook for football after his relationship with Rodgers was already established.

Does anyone remember the hubbub that happened during the 2012 playoffs when there was a report that someone representing Wilson was demanding a new contract from the Seahawks? Regardless of whose gaffe that was, it happened on Bus Cook's watch. I imagine that with the window for Wilson's contract negotiations about to open, he wanted to consolidate all of his efforts with someone he has trusted for a long time and that has steered him pretty well in his marketing opportunities thus far.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":f49zxci0 said:
The fact is that his relationship with Rodgers pre-dates his relationship with Bus Cook.

Russell Wilson was selected by the Colorado Rockies in the fourth round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Rule 4 Draft. Rodgers served as his advisor throughout the pre-draft process and signing period, and assisted Wilson with negotiating a $200,000 signing bonus. Wilson was a struggling second baseman in the Rockies’ farm system, referred to as “a work in progress on the diamond, where he has limited experience.” Wilson and Rodgers determined it would be best for the hybrid athlete to return to the football field (he had formerly been a quarterback at NC State), and Wilson embarked on a journey to fight for the starting spot at the University of Wisconsin.

“He’s just a 22-year-old kid who wants to keep his options open,” Rodgers said at the time. ”The Rockies haven’t closed the door on him coming back. And Russell has not closed the door.” Rodgers told his client that baseball would always be an option for him, but that the window to show off his skill in football would close quickly if he chose not to immediately pursue that route. The agent says it is the single best piece of advice he has ever given Wilson.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitn ... all-agent/

And according to other reports, Rodgers has been Wilson's marketing guru and his lawyer for a long while now. So it looks very much like Wilson went with two agents for his two sports, picking up Bus Cook for football after his relationship with Rodgers was already established.

Does anyone remember the hubbub that happened during the 2012 playoffs when there was a report that someone representing Wilson was demanding a new contract from the Seahawks? Regardless of whose gaffe that was, it happened on Bus Cook's watch. I imagine that with the window for Wilson's contract negotiations about to open, he wanted to consolidate all of his efforts with someone he has trusted for a long time and that has steered him pretty well in his marketing opportunities thus far.

That makes sense now, in the article I was referring to above, I had assumed the agent and his son that is Wilson's marketing guy was his football agent, looking back at that article its actually talking about Rodgers and his son Matt. So that's where the long standing, trusted relationship is, with his original baseball agent...

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/26/russel ... e-seahawks

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I feel bad for his old agent who most likely stuck with him through his rookie contract when he was taken in the 3rd round with no guarantee to become what he is today. And now when it's time to get PAID, see ya later homie.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3ce0ne45 said:
I feel bad for his old agent who most likely stuck with him through his rookie contract when he was taken in the 3rd round with no guarantee to become what he is today. And now when it's time to get PAID, see ya later homie.

You don't need to feel sorry for Bus Cook, dude's been killin' it since he started representing Brett Favre.

http://www.buscook.com/clients.asp

Latest posts