Russell Wilson Claims to be Abstaining with Ciara

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The scrutiny is there, and will be there for the near term.

It will magnify if he stumbles, and diminish if he does well.

But it is amplified because Russell is playing a dangerous game of trying to be a character he clearly created. Or at least I hope that is the issue, but the alternative is that he truly believes some of this which causes additional problems.

Plenty of players go into contract disputes and are scrutinized because of it. Remember all the junk about Lynch when he held out? But you enter a whole new level of scrutiny when you claim you are talking to God.

Not saying it isn't possible, just saying it gets a lot more negative attention, true or not. I HIGHLY doubt that kind of thing is something his agent would be pushing, as it frankly hurts your endorsement opportunities.

But the part that matters is not whether he is crazy or divinely connected, it is whether he can produce on the football field and whether we can afford him while still paying the other expenses enough to be competitive.

(My other concern is whether the scrutiny over his own actions/words can affect his ability to positively impact his teammates. One thing that Wilson brought to the table was an unswerving belief that success was assured. That kind of belief in someone makes them believe themselves and also perform better. Unless they believe that trust was tainted because it might not just be trust, but instead stem from being somewhat crazy. And it does not matter if he is or is not crazy, only if the person being motivated believes he is.)

It comes down to spinning the wheel and laying our bet. IF we truly believe that Wilson is this transcendent talent, we have to go all in - knowing it would gut the franchise if we are wrong. If not, I am not sure many QBs could survive/produce in the structure of the team we have anyway. The cost of keeping Russ assures we won't have much of an effective line to work with, so Russ will have to be great.

So he has the upper hand. But all that scrutiny on him will make it harder for him to deliver on the expectations that by necessity must be ratcheted up - since we are going to have to ratchet down our expectations in other areas.

Can Russ play the character he has created and still grow as a player? Or will he have to focus on one side or the other in order to attain his long-term goals? (Which may or may not be football related).

erik2690

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1nrifcok said:
But it is amplified because Russell is playing a dangerous game of trying to be a character he clearly created. Or at least I hope that is the issue, but the alternative is that he truly believes some of this which causes additional problems.

But you enter a whole new level of scrutiny when you claim you are talking to God.

But the part that matters is not whether he is crazy or divinely connected, it is whether he can produce on the football field and whether we can afford him while still paying the other expenses enough to be competitive.

I'm so confused about what you think this means to a religious person? You understand this is not exactly a wild unheard of point of view right? God in their minds is not some singular focused human entity talking to one person at a time and giving special attention. It reads as if you are thinking about it like that. Think of it as an internal dialogue as most people have, he just calls that God. I as non-religious would call that my brain working with itself and "conversing" to give me answers. He just calls it God. It's not this wackadoo thing you make it out to be once you consider it in perspective of a religious person. It's not like a literal outwardly perceived "hearing", it's an internal answer or sub-conscious that people of religions may call something different. Again, this isn't a Wilson phenomenon. You can argue whether it's "right", but lets not act like it's some wild new thing only Wilson has ever mentioned. I'm not religious so it does sound weird, but try to think of things from all perspectives and what it might mean. How it might not be so different from something you've experienced but with different descriptors of what is going on.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":p4g9m9r4 said:
Russell should retire and spend his sundays focusing on operating a megachurch. Faith first.
He'd probably get way more than 30M per year. Don't you give him ideas by posting that to him on Facebook or Twitter or some social media site even more stupid. :shock:

LymonHawk

Reaction score
erik2690":4lgb9fy3 said:
TwistedHusky":4lgb9fy3 said:

But you enter a whole new level of scrutiny when you claim you are talking to God.

I'm so confused about what you think this means to a religious person? You understand this is not exactly a wild unheard of point of view right? God in their minds is not some singular focused human entity talking to one person at a time and giving special attention. It reads as if you are thinking about it like that. Think of it as an internal dialogue as most people have, he just calls that God. I as non-religious would call that my brain working with itself and "conversing" to give me answers. He just calls it God. It's not this wackadoo thing you make it out to be once you consider it in perspective of a religious person. It's not like a literal outwardly perceived "hearing", it's an internal answer or sub-conscious that people of religions may call something different. Again, this isn't a Wilson phenomenon. You can argue whether it's "right", but lets not act like it's some wild new thing only Wilson has ever mentioned. I'm not religious so it does sound weird, but try to think of things from all perspectives and what it might mean. How it might not be so different from something you've experienced but with different descriptors of what is going on.

Huh? RW told himself the interception was to test himself?

dutchman063

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2aecat9m said:
Poor Russ....he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Most here have him painted into a corner.

He's done a fine job of painting himself into his own little convoluted corner...

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":26b0cfdq said:
People love to bring others down. It is what it is, they flat out want Russ to be more "human" in their eyes. Whatever gets you thru the day I guess. Maybe people should worry more about themselves, and not spend so much time worrying about something they have no control over.
LOL, like, I'm doing a crappy job at running my own damned life, so maybe I'd be better off with telling someone else how to run theirs.
Hey, if I'm standing on your fingers, you're going to play hell reaching for the next rung on the ladder, eh? :lol:
Like the old saying, "If Your So Smart, Why Ain't You Rich"?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
dutchman063":2qtdoczi said:
He's done a fine job of painting himself into his own little convoluted corner...

This confuses me.

How has he done anything other than set a high standard for himself and is seeking to live by common Christian values?If you say that he's convoluted, it appears to only be that you don't agree with his values or that you think he'll fail in keeping his word and thus find him easy to criticize. He hasn't been convoluted about anything he's said or done yet.

But... what if he doesn't fail to keep the moral and ethical standards of his life?

And Russel won't be dissuaded from setting a high standard simply because some people might fail at reaching them; that's an excuse many use to lower the bar. That's not Russell. Even if he should fail, it doesn't negate the standard. Just like I don't stop running and training just because I can't always reach my target time. the ideal is there for me.

AVL

Reaction score
The pot full of crabs keeps this thread moving, but why hasn't it been moved to an appropriate forum where opinion can be expressed in a clearer manner?