Russell Wilson is Elite | I'm Putting the Nail in the Coffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And I don't like Rodgers, but some of the throws he makes are just plain stupid good. We basically laughed on 2 of those because the throws were so incredible. That being said, he body language and the way he calls out receivers and coaches? His leadership isn't near the level of Russ, and I guarantee a lot of his teammates don't like him.
Amazing player, not really an amazing leader.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2l7sn5gp said:
And I don't like Rodgers, but some of the throws he makes are just plain stupid good. We basically laughed on 2 of those because the throws were so incredible. That being said, he body language and the way he calls out receivers and coaches? His leadership isn't near the level of Russ, and I guarantee a lot of his teammates don't like him.

Definitely agree on the intangibles and leadership.

Rodgers is a terrible team leader, sulks and outwardly blames everyone and everything for his failures other than himself.

Hell he just said the ball stuck to his hand when he threw it into the dirt Thursday night. Not he just flat out missed the throw, the ball...........stuck.............to............his.............hand.

That's a new one for me.

Russell's corny as hell, but he's a great teammate, has an unrivaled work ethic and I've never seen him once not take 100% of the blame when we lose, never once making excuses.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Tical21":2reueaof said:
@Fade, the most intriguing part of this post so far, to me, has been the discussion about Rodgers.

If Russell can't be considered elite primarily because he holds the ball too long and misses critical windows against zone coverage, can we then say Rodgers is not elite because he holds the ball even longer?

To be honest, I have never studied Rodgers on tape. My guess is that he holds the ball for different reasons than Russell, but it is a pretty interesting thought. TBF, I hold Rodgers in lower esteem than most do. He is an absolute god talent-wise, but he doesn't put it together often enough for me or win enough games. They're 4-5 far too often, and usually without horrible rosters.

Brees goes 7-9 all the time. And I think he is one of the all-time greats.

Where most of these casual fans lose track is they want to make everything a 1 to 1 comparison.

What I am more interested in is how can a guy perform, when you take things away from him. The degree of difficulty.

The systems, and O-lines these QBs play in can have a wild impact on their play.

Goff & Trubisky prove my point resoundingly. So if you believe a QB can be helped by systems & O-line? Can't QBs be hindered by them as well? The answer is yes.

Matt Ryan & Andrew Luck prove it, really any QB you find proves it. When you dive into their numbers the years they get the best O-Line play, they have their best seasons.

The true greats find a way to maintain their production, and get it done regardless. Wilson is in that category irrefutably.

Roethisberger is a fraud as an example.

Top defenese, top O-Lines, top offensive coaching, top skill players. He has been handed everything. The lowest degree of difficulty. And he can't get the Steelers back to the big game? Fraud.

Give Wilson all of that season after season, and he would have a cabinet full of trophies. Rivers, Brees, etc as well.

Wilson has been playing in the opposite side of the spectrum offensively (-minus defense). A super high degree of difficulty.

So if Big Ben is elite, then Russell Wilson is elite. Wilson has outproduced him while being placed in an impossible, unsustainable situation for 50ish games. This in no small sample size here.

When you look at the bottom portion of the elite tier. Ryan, Luck. Newton. These guys crumble behind bad O-Lines. Wilson bodies them, and then puts up numbers right there with many players that people consider the GOAT's of the sport.

The most underrated player in Seattle sports history.

On to Rodgers he is actually very similar to Wilson in terms of style of play. They love to hold the ball and extend plays looking for the home run downfield. Missing checkdowns and wideopen players underneath. When it works fans cheer, when it doesn't well Wilson held the ball too long, not elite, he can't see. With Rodgers it's let's make every excuse in the book for him.

It's hard to grade out who is actually worse at holding the ball because. Wilson's lines have been so bad that it doesn't hurt their DVOA protection rating that bad.

While Rodgers kills the great O-Lines he has had by holding the ball.

Wilson: Oline PFF = 25, DVOA Protection = 25

Rodgers Oline PFF = 5, DVOA Protection = 28

Wilson & Rodgers are the two hardest great QBs to block for. But to get an accurate comparison we need Seattle's O-Line play to get into the top 10. Regardless I wouldn't care anyway because Wilson's numbers would explode, due to how elite he is if he ever found himself with a top 10 O-Line.

I am too lazy to re-pull up the numbers on Brees & Brady. But they obviously help their lines. It is a style of play choice.
And yes Wilson needs to improve in this area, I am not absolving him of it.

Just pointing out even other elite guys don't get the ball out quickly, you cannot have a double standard.

Rodgers loses because he has a horrible attitude, and struggles with adversity. He is amazing beating up on tomato cans, but put another elite QB in front of him, and he usually wilts in the clutch. He is something like 0-34 when trailing against a winning team in the 4th qtr.

He has had good teams around him as well. The defenses have been a problem in years past, but that is not the case this year. The Packers defense leads the league in sacks. They have a top Oline, with a great mix of skill players, and a good young runningback. Yet he can't manage a winning record? LOL.

Rodgers also has a horrible career record on the road.

These guys have worts. They are not as great as the media tells you they are. Put them under the microscope and you will see.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2hs32s69 said:
SoulfishHawk":2hs32s69 said:

Definitely agree on the intangibles and leadership.

Rodgers is a terrible team leader, sulks and outwardly blames everyone and everything for his failures other than himself.

Hell he just said the ball stuck to his hand when he threw it into the dirt Thursday night. Not he just flat out missed the throw, the ball...........stuck.............to............his.............hand.

That's a new one for me.

Russell's corny as hell, but he's a great teammate, has an unrivaled work ethic and I've never seen him once not take 100% of the blame when we lose, never once making excuses.

Interesting how "the ball" can stick to your hands when your fingers don't let go because you just CHOKED your last game winning drive.

Given that BS I'd say the reason we lost to the Rams is the scoreboard got stuck on Seahawks 31. :snack:

themunn

Reaction score
Tical21":2x7xhoy7 said:
I will add that Russ has only finished in the top-10 in yards once, I believe. Not that yards is a measure of efficiency, but does show that he is asked to, and produces less than many other quarterbacks. A lot of quarterbacks can only achieve team success by throwing the ball into the teeth of zones that are singularly focused on preventing him from doing so. Russ, outside of last year, which was his worst year, I believe, has never really been saddled with that burden.

We tried to build around the passing game, gave him a HOF TE, spent early draft picks on WR's, and the experiment fell on it's face. We committed again to becoming a run-first team, became the best running team in football, and Russ is flourishing. I think everybody in the building realized that building around the passing game wasn't an option.

Hugh Millen uttered a line a few weeks ago that I thought was pretty fantastic..."Russell Wilson will win you a ton of games, as long as you don't ask Russell Wilson to win you a ton of games."

Do the 2200 yards he rushed for between 2014-2017 not count towards the offense? Wilson has been responsible for on average of 4,500 total yards of offense each of the past 4 years.

RCATES

Reaction score
I really want to end all this drama with you guys and the perception that I'm a flat out Wilson hater. I love this team and have been a season ticket holder for almost a decade. I'm also heavily involved in several charity programs that many of the players are involved in. My biggest flaw as a fan at times is I've always had a glass half empty outlook on things. Wilson exceeded all our expectations as a rookie and beyond but has recently been off. That has obviously clouded my judgement of him. Just wanted to clear things up with some of you. I want Wilson to succeed as well as this team. Cheers. :2thumbs:

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Tical21":zc356izs said:
Rodgers has so many style points that his warts are offset by things that we see almost weekly that nobody else has been able to do. Guys aren't supposed to be able to flick their wrist from their back foot and throw a 40-yard dime.

He's like Freddy Couples. Freddy doesn't have a HOF resume. He isn't in the HOF, his immaculate golf swing is.

4Aeu.gif

You were saying.

The more you argue the bigger hole you dig.

You're on the ropes right now, I got some advice for you.... hit the one in the middle.

*EDIT* I missed the quote tag. LOL.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
RCATES":319of1i8 said:
I really want to end all this drama with you guys and the perception that I'm a flat out Wilson hater. I love this team and have been a season ticket holder for almost a decade. I'm also heavily involved in several charity programs that many of the players are involved in. My biggest flaw as a fan at times is I've always had a glass half empty outlook on things. Wilson exceeded all our expectations as a rookie and beyond but has recently been off. That has obviously clouded my judgement of him. Just wanted to clear things up with some of you. I want Wilson to succeed as well as this team. Cheers. :2thumbs:

I don’t define “recently been off” by throwing TD passes, having a perfect QBR game while learning to work with an entirely new OC. Facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justafan

Reaction score
Tical you have been a great poster for years.Whether I agree or not I can always see the logic in your arguments. The fact people here have so many different takes on subjects is what makes this place work.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think the criteria of what makes an elite QB is holding this up and again we are holding Wilson for the most part to a critical standard because we’ve seen him at his highest of highs and his lowest of lows and for the most part dissected everything he has done in between.

I’m not saying some people haven’t watched other QBs on that level (maybe some of you have the type of life where you can pour your time and energy into that. I’m guessing the majority of detractors aren’t privy to that) but I’m saying you have watched Wilson with the passion of being a Seahawks fan because you watch every Seahawks game and that puts him under the microscope and absolutely desensitizes Wilson to the rest of the NFL’s elite if all you are valuing is thier highlight reels and fantasy stats and what the majority of talkings heads say and like I said most of them (not all) are more instigators/promoters than professors.

What is Russell Wilson in a nutshell?

Find me a QB more consistent that at least ranks top 5, top 8 in all these categories:

Deep Passing
Passing against the Blitz
Passing off Play Action
TD/Int Effeciency
QB rating
Rushing
RPO fits
Scrambling/Unpredictably
The way he affects defensive schemes
Winning/Competitiveness
Availability/Health
Yards Per Attempt/Adjusted Yards Per Attempt (as this reduces the advantage of volume passing)

For instance on the last one Wilson has a career AYA of 8.1, Luck on the other hand has only 7.0, in my quick research Wilson is only behind Rodger’s 8.5 out of most of the QBs named in this thread. Which means while he isn’t getting the volume of attempts as some of his contemporaries, he’s still executing at variably high level as a passer more often than not.

The only categories I would not say Wilson isn’t top 5, top 8 in is:

In the pocket (which is the key argument in all of these types of threads)
Yards per Game
Throwing WRs open for YAC

But a pocket QB needs a pocket to function and we’ve seen Wilson dominate at times when he does have clean pockets but his offensive lines have been far from consistent to what the top QBs have experienced.

And Wilson has found a way to be successful in spite of having some of the worst pass-blocking lines, without a truly legit #1 receiving target, and without a great offensive minded genius allowing him to push the threshold of his capabilities.

Wilson is corralled in Pete’s vision whether you like it or not but we’ve seen Russ put the team on his back when needed and produce at high rate when given a high volume of the offense.

If it weren’t for Blair Walsh in 2017, Seahawks are in the Playoffs with Russ accounting for 89% of the offense.

In 2015, Wilson was lights out in that 2nd half and was unstoppable as a passer.

In 2016, Russ still carried this team to a 10-6 record despite multiple injuries and behind perhaps the worst offensive line of his career.

But those are outliers to Pete’s vision. If the goal is 6000 offensive yards, he wants Russ to only account for 3500 yards as a passer and then put 2500 on the ground. That’s his vision.

You saw this in 2012-2014. It’s not a knock on Wilson but just how Carroll wants his offense to run. And in terms of that vision Wilson might be having the most consistent, most successful season game to game of his career where he might throw for under 3500 yards, where his sack% is the highest of his career, yet he’s on pace to have his highest TDs, 2nd lowest Ints, 2nd highest YPA and AYA plus highest QB rating of his career. Statistically, he’s having a season just as good or better as a passer on a per attempt basis as his 2015 season form. That’s not regression as some here have questioned.

Russ under Carroll is never going to have the high volume nor the offensive scheme/personnel to give him the most elite passing stats but despite that he’s still holding his own in producing as much as the top QBs in this league. That means something. You cannot just discount that. I don’t think anyone but Wilson could have survived what he has and still do what he does in the whole body of his work.

I completely get where Tical is coming from but it’s not Fade argument... if you want to argue Wilson as a consistently elite passer... that’s debatable... However, Russ as a consistently elite QB... I think Wilson is right on that line with his overall body of work. No doubt.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
RCATES":32qon2og said:

The inconsistency in his play is whats brought this debate on. And the criticism is fair.

Hes both elite and sometimes infuriating

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":21a10n0r said:
I think the criteria of what makes an elite QB is holding this up and again we are holding Wilson for the most part to a critical standard because we’ve seen him at his highest of highs and his lowest of lows and for the most part dissected everything he has done in between.

I’m not saying some people haven’t watched other QBs on that level (maybe some of you have the type of life where you can pour your time and energy into that. I’m guessing the majority of detractors aren’t privy to that) but I’m saying you have watched Wilson with the passion of being a Seahawks fan because you watch every Seahawks game and that puts him under the microscope and absolutely desensitizes Wilson to the rest of the NFL’s elite if all you are valuing is thier highlight reels and fantasy stats and what the majority of talkings heads say and like I said most of them (not all) are more instigators/promoters than professors.

Find me a QB more consistent that at least ranks top 5, top 8 in all these categories:

Deep Passing
Passing off Play Action
TD/Int Effeciency
QB rating
Rushing
RPO fits
Scrambling/Unpredictably
Winning/Competitiveness
Availability/Health
Yards Per Attempt/Adjusted Yards Per Attempt (as this reduces the advantage of volume passing)

For instance on the last one Wilson has a career AYA of 8.1, Luck on the other hand has only 7.0, in my quick research Wilson is only behind Rodger’s 8.5 out of most of the QBs named in this thread. Which means while he isn’t getting the volume of attempts as some of his contemporaries, he’s still executing at variably high level as a passer more often than not.

Yards per Game

But a pocket QB needs a pocket to function and we’ve seen Wilson dominate at times when he does have clean pockets but his offensive lines have been far from consistent to what the top QBs have experienced.

And Wilson has found a way to be successful in spite of having some of the worst pass-blocking lines, without a truly legit #1 receiving target, and without a great offensive minded genius allowing him to push the threshold of his capabilities.

Wilson is corralled in Pete’s vision whether you like it or not but we’ve seen Russ put the team on his back when needed and produce at high rate when given a high volume of the offense.

If it weren’t for Blair Walsh in 2017, Seahawks are in the Playoffs with Russ accounting for 89% of the offense.

In 2015, Wilson was lights out in that 2nd half and was unstoppable as a passer.

In 2016, Russ still carried this team to a 10-6 record despite multiple injuries and behind perhaps the worst offensive line of his career.

But those are outliers to Pete’s vision. If the goal is 6000 offensive yards, he wants Russ to only account for 3500 yards as a passer and then put 2500 on the ground. That’s his vision.

You saw this in 2012-2014. It’s not a knock on Wilson but just how Carroll wants his offense to run. And in terms of that vision Wilson might be having the most consistent, most successful season game to game of his career where he might throw for under 3500 yards, where his sack% is the highest of his career, yet he’s on pace to have his highest TDs, 2nd lowest Ints, 2nd highest YPA and AYA plus highest QB rating of his career. Statistically, he’s having a season just as good or better as a passer on a per attempt basis as his 2015 season form. That’s not regression as some here have questioned.

Russ under Carroll is never going to have the high volume nor the offensive scheme/personnel to give him the most elite passing stats but despite that he’s still holding his own in producing as much as the top QBs in this league. That means something. You cannot just discount that. I don’t think anyone but Wilson could have survived what he has and still do what he does in the whole body of his work.

I completely get where Tical is coming from but it’s not Fade argument... if you want to argue Wilson as a consistently elite passer... that’s debatable... However, Russ as a consistently elite QB... I think Wilson is right on that line with his overall body of work. No doubt.

Ding ding.... We have a winner

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3vc4cr5v said:
RCATES":3vc4cr5v said:

The inconsistency in his play is whats brought this debate on. And the critucism is fair.

Hes both elite and sometimes infuriating

Just like every star QB ever. You’ll find forum haters bagging on their QB for every 32 teams when they lose. Human behavior is nothing if not predictable. Many fans have unrealistic expectations of what a human is capable of. 100% consistency is impossible.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Is anyone watching this Monday Night Football game??? LOL

Both QBs have basically given up scores due to sack fumbles, poor throws. Both have made overthrows and missed some open guys(Goff and Mahomes). Other times they have guys running wide open with no defender around. Do some fans watch this with perspective? It's pretty clear the scheme of McVay and Andy Reid is what's truly elite here. Although I do like Mahomes.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1yywj8lo said:

Both QBs have basically given up scores due to sack fumbles, poor throws. Both have made overthrows and missed some open guys(Goff and Mahomes). Other times they have guys running wide open with no defender around. Do some fans watch this with perspective? It's pretty clear the scheme of McVay and Andy Reid is what's truly elite here. Although I do like Mahomes.

Yup... Remember the rams and Goff with Fisher? Coaching is the difference...... Russ would put up insane numbers with mcvay.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Scorpion05":40b8mnui said:

Yep, check my comment on it in the LA vs KC thread in the NFL forum.

I think my message is finally starting to seep through. :2thumbs:

Adjust that lens and look at all of the QBs with the same standard, and mistakes start to appear everywhere.

These dudes that say Russell is not elite, are not watching these other guys that way guaranteed.

THE DOUBLE STANDARD IS THROUGH.

I put the nail in the coffin.
Fwp content2Fuploads2F20092F092Fnail in coffin

Tical21

Reaction score
I think you're selling me a little short, but I digress.

At the end of the day, whether or not he is "elite" or whatever, doesn't really matter. Can you win with him? Absolutely. Can you win while paying him top-shelf money? That question is a bit more murky. The talent level and record of the team have clearly diminished since he got paid. I blame age of the core and poor drafting far more than the play of Russell, but it is worth thinking about. Can you win while paying him 25-30 per? That would be the question. However, there is a 0% chance that they don't pay him, so any thought put into the matter is a fool's errand.

Just do me a favor and watch the coach's tape for a game or two, look at whether the opponent is in zone or man presnap, and watch what happens. Or, if you can, determine that presnap while you're watching the game live and see what happens. It isn't a coincidence that the team he put up a perfect rating against is the team on our schedule that plays more man coverage than any other team. Just humor me and take a look, and you'll see things you can't unsee.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":l8s1lj9k said:

Deep Passing
Passing off Play Action
TD/Int Effeciency
QB rating
Rushing
RPO fits
Scrambling/Unpredictably
Winning/Competitiveness
Availability/Health

Yards per Game

Excellent post, with a lot of good info in there. And I am glad people are understanding what I am trying to articulate.

I type things sometimes, and have no idea how people are going to take it.

The volume argument in null and void as well as I will explain.

As a High volume passer in 2017 he led the league in Total Yards combined (both running & throwing), Total TDs, and Passing TDs.

With an inept O-line, an oblivious, going through the motions at times play caller, and no running game.

Wilson was the show, teams were not game planning for Lynch or anyone like that. They were gameplainning to stop Wilson, all 22 eyeballs of the defenders were on him, with no time to throw.

They could sit in 2 High coverages, which is translation for teams daring you to run because they think you are inept.
When you see 2 high, you're supposed to run them out of 2 high. The Seahawks couldn't, they sucked. And that is why everyone got fired.

2 high looks are far harder to throw against than single high looks with no time to throw. Because the underneath defenders can squat on all of the underneath routes because they have safety help over the top. It is the hardest situation to be put in as a QB when they do not have time to throw. Wilson was put in this situation consistently as a QB in both '16, & '17.

Wilson still tore up the league in 2017, it didn't stop him.

He wasn't as effective as he could've been. BUT GET THIS…

instead of these critics blaming the coaching & personnel staffs for not properly supporting the QB. It's Wilson's fault for not performing miracles.

This sort of criticism would be like blaming Marsawn Lynch for getting tackled immediately in the backfield instead of criticizing the O-Line.

It is insane, delusional, and lacks total perspective.

If Wilson wasn't elite he would've been exposed last year, and would've had one of those pedestrian Matt Ryan seasons.
(He has had many.)

Nope, instead he damn near Won the MVP.

Status
Not open for further replies.