Russell Wilson original .Net post after we drafted him

sumos2005

Reaction score
Bret Bielema in August July 2013 on the Softy Show. He knew and tried to convince EVERYONE..This is the BEST interview I have ever heard concerning Wilson, BEFORE DAY 1..I have posted a few months ago, but thought it was worthy of another listen.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/bret-biele

lobohawk

Reaction score
As an NC State grad I watched him go to Wisconsin and saw every game I could of theirs. Couldn't help but watch him play, because he was just so much fun to watch.

When he was drafted by the Hawks, I hopped on the bandwagon and waited for Hawk fans to go thru the same learning curve on Wilson that Badger fans did. Didn't know Flynn much, but knew he was just a speed bump. The one thing that few understood was his maniacal work ethic and the fact that challenges just pushed him harder. Coupled with his physical skills and confidence in himself, it was only a matter of getting the opportunity. The Hawks were a perfect fit. The most supportive org, while also being the most competitive internally.

The only downside was having to deal with the TV broadcasts (few west coast games here in NC). Similar to what I ran into with Rivers and the Chargers. Kinda insane that NC State had Rivers and Wilson as their QBs considering our lack of football history.

Largent80

Reaction score
TalontedNoseRider":3kgrijo9 said:
Being out of state, I find myself listening to borderline unhealthy amounts of 710 am to fill the void. That said, months prior to the draft Brock Huard spoke incessantly of Wilson and all that he could do (and has since done) for the Hawks. I remember thinking to myself: this is so over the top its got insider-trading mojo all over it. Props to Brock. When it's all said and done, more than makes up for Groz's verbal flatulence.

Exactly this, and I will add that pre draft they had a phone interview with him and at that moment I wanted him as a Hawk. I didn't think he would start immediately however since they had went out and got Flynn.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1frext7i said:
I was excited about Flynn.

Surprised that I was wrong as I rarely think am.

I was dead wrong about Wilson...I initially thought he'd be another Seneca Wallace. I warmed to him slightly after watching his Wisconsin highlights, but didn't think he had much of a chance to succeed at this level. I wasn't exactly a 'Flynnatic,' but I though Matt was one of the better prospects we'd had in awhile. Even after the KC pre-season game, I still thought the coaches should stick with Flynn. I began to think Wilson was at least a keeper later in the pre-season, but wasn't sure he'd develop into a starter. I also felt strongly that RW should hold a clipboard for at least his rookie season.

What an impression RW's rookie season made on me. He proved me wrong on so many levels. I'm still baffled that he has basher among Seahawk fans to this day. He's made a habit of turning something into nothing for so long. I knew that if the offense was ever setup properly, and he had a mere vestige of protection, he would take off.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
sumos2005":24fb02zo said:
Bret Bielema in August July 2013 on the Softy Show. He knew and tried to convince EVERYONE..This is the BEST interview I have ever heard concerning Wilson, BEFORE DAY 1..I have posted a few months ago, but thought it was worthy of another listen.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/bret-biele
I have great respect for that coach, and his interview was when I started to think WIlson was the guy.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Russell's WI highlights tape, his outstanding TD/INT ratio in his senior year, the"Asterisk" article, and Gruden's video all gave me some hope that we may have found a steal in the 3rd round. Add to that Burt B's interview on local radio.

But when Pete announced at the start of TC that it would be a 3-way competition between Flynn, TJack and Russell, I knew that it was just a matter of time before he would be the starter. Who else would give a rookie 3rd round draft pick a chance to win the starting job?... BRILLIANT.

Next for me was the KC preseason game... and we all saw what Pete was seeing in practice. He flashed the "it" factor.

And then came the NE game, and then the OT win in Chicago with back-to-back long TD drives making play after play with his arm and his feet... and at that point, all doubt was gone for me.

We finally had our franchise QB... and he is going to be a great one.

AVL

Reaction score
Most of you seemed more interested in making fun of video loop of Ashton Wilson celebrating the draft than anything else.

That changed when the new uniforms came out. Good times.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
...with the 75th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Seattle Seahawks select...

Step one: "Russell Wilson? Who the hell is that?"

Step two: "Well Gruden just smacked Mel Kiper down about his height bias, live on national TV! He must really like the kid."

Step three: "Man, Gruden is in LOVE with this kid on his QB show. Very promising!"

Step four: "Pete Carroll just said he's part of the QB competition after rookie minicamp. Must have showed something! I think I'm liking this pick!"

Step five: "YEAH KC! HOW YOU LIKE OUR NEW STARTING QB, SUCKAS?"

:179417: ever since.

mrblitz

Reaction score
leading up to that draft, i liked foles, but then kearly started talking about wilson in the ncaa/draft forum, so when we picked russell i knew there was a lot of potential there. i still think foles could be pretty good. but russell transcends the qb position.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
DeeHawks":28msmb4f said:
Smellyman":28msmb4f said:
[youtube]SpD09ymv3dw[/youtube]
I'd never seen this clip before.
Thanks for posting it, had a good laugh..!!!
^ At first I thought it was going to be a little fun spoof on our Draft, but then it became apparent that they were being serious about the whole gig...I mean, the joker actually SAYING that Pete Carroll is showing why he can't succeed while Coaching in the NFL :lol:
I do remember myself saying something about Russell Wilson riding the pine, watching Flynn, and studying how the game should be played, should he ever get the chance to actually play.
BOY was I naïve and ignorant.
To my defense though, it didn't take me very long to start serving up heaping plates of crow, and go homeristic about RW.

dadof3

Reaction score
I remember liking the Wilson pick based on his Wisconsin games I watched. In fairness to the draft day writers, they're paid to give their opinion on something that is a crapshoot, so their job naturally sets them up for criticism. What Seahawk fan hated the Aaron Curry pick? It's the people that continue to dog Wilson after 4 years of evidence (Prickso) that are the true idiots

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The Outfield":2umxc84d said:
Guys, here's something fun. The official net nation fan forum from May 7, 2012:

http://web.archive.org/web/201205070051 ... f62b4a75ca

You can click some of the threads and view the first pages but the web archive won't have any additional pages unfortunately. It doesn't archive forums because that's a ton of (relatively) useless data for their servers. It's fun to read our initial reactions.
Thanks....That was some pretty funny stuff, and there were a few Posters back then, that had a pretty good handle on the Drafting of Russell Wilson ;)

razor150

Reaction score
dadof3":2a9hkc5f said:
I remember liking the Wilson pick based on his Wisconsin games I watched. In fairness to the draft day writers, they're paid to give their opinion on something that is a crapshoot, so their job naturally sets them up for criticism. What Seahawk fan hated the Aaron Curry pick? It's the people that continue to dog Wilson after 4 years of evidence (Prickso) that are the true idiots

A lot of fans hated the Aaron Curry, me being one of them, because we purposely opened a hole in a roster to justify a pick that could have been used elsewhere.

I don't remember a lot of people, at least here or Reddit Seahawks fan page, being that upset over a pick. Sure some had their preference, some Foles, or me who preferred Cousins. Ultimately he was just a 3rd round pick, most thought he, or any other QB picked there, was just being brought in to back up Flynn, or worst case be insurance in case he failed.

kearly

Reaction score
Bielema liked Wilson so much that he literally tried to follow Wilson to the NFL. Back in 2012, he tried to sign on to be the head coach of the Miami Dolphins, but backed out because the Dolphins front office wasn't willing to indulge Bielema's request to draft Wilson in round 2.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... om-the-nfl

kearly

Reaction score
dadof3":3pct2zxy said:

FWIW, I hated the Curry pick so much that I said when it went down that it was the biggest Seahawk mistake since the decision to not franchise Hutch. I also wanted Russell badly for Seattle before the draft and wrote an article on Seahawks Draft Blog the day he was drafted saying it was my favorite Seahawks draft pick ever. Before the 2012 draft, I left a comment at Mockingthedraft.com saying that Wilson was the Tom Brady pick you could see coming.

I don't get every pick right, but I nailed those two.

253hawk

Reaction score
The Outfield":49iikwqz said:
Guys, here's something fun. The official net nation fan forum from May 7, 2012:

http://web.archive.org/web/201205070051 ... f62b4a75ca

You can click some of the threads and view the first pages but the web archive won't have any additional pages unfortunately. It doesn't archive forums because that's a ton of (relatively) useless data for their servers. It's fun to read our initial reactions.

Thanks. Now I really miss the old layout. :les:

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
I remember starting the Wilson thread right after he was drafted (Think it was titled 'With pick #75, the Seattle Seahawks select...'), but I checked my post history log and I couldn't find it. I remember making the first post "Who is this guy"...boy I didn't have any idea he was going to be the best Seattle quarterback of all time in the making at that point...