Russell Wilson original .Net post after we drafted him

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
man i wish we could pull that thread up, it will prove what a QB genius I am. :D

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":2hz7caq7 said:
dadof3":2hz7caq7 said:
I remember liking the Wilson pick based on his Wisconsin games I watched. In fairness to the draft day writers, they're paid to give their opinion on something that is a crapshoot, so their job naturally sets them up for criticism. What Seahawk fan hated the Aaron Curry pick? It's the people that continue to dog Wilson after 4 years of evidence (Prickso) that are the true idiots

FWIW, I hated the Curry pick so much that I said when it went down that it was the biggest Seahawk mistake since the decision to not franchise Hutch. I also wanted Russell badly for Seattle before the draft and wrote an article on Seahawks Draft Blog the day he was drafted saying it was my favorite Seahawks draft pick ever. Before the 2012 draft, I left a comment at Mockingthedraft.com saying that Wilson was the Tom Brady pick you could see coming.

I don't get every pick right, but I nailed those two.
I hated the Curry puck too though I'm no draftnick and don't even pretend to know as much as kearly, English, etc. I felt Seattle didn't even need a LB as kearly touched on and wanted Crabtree. Now he has turned out to be a rather average pro WR but a helluva lot better player than Curry. But if the Hawks had drafted him who would Kaepernick have thrown season ending passes to?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I remember thinking that it seemed like kind of a waste of a relatively high pick. I didn't hate Russell, but it didn't seem like a good way to address the needs of the roster.

"Why draft a short QB in the third when we just signed Matt Flynn? Aren't there guys available who could fill a more pressing need?" That is what I was thinking. It did not really cross my mind that Russ could possibly beat out Flynn and start. Seemed like it was just a foregone conclusion that it was Flynn's job.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":3hsiwaq1 said:
dadof3":3hsiwaq1 said:
I remember liking the Wilson pick based on his Wisconsin games I watched. In fairness to the draft day writers, they're paid to give their opinion on something that is a crapshoot, so their job naturally sets them up for criticism. What Seahawk fan hated the Aaron Curry pick? It's the people that continue to dog Wilson after 4 years of evidence (Prickso) that are the true idiots

FWIW, I hated the Curry pick so much that I said when it went down that it was the biggest Seahawk mistake since the decision to not franchise Hutch. I also wanted Russell badly for Seattle before the draft and wrote an article on Seahawks Draft Blog the day he was drafted saying it was my favorite Seahawks draft pick ever. Before the 2012 draft, I left a comment at Mockingthedraft.com saying that Wilson was the Tom Brady pick you could see coming.

I don't get every pick right, but I nailed those two.

I was all in on Crabtree then drank the Kiper Gatorade and sold myself on Curry :(

Now given the fact rookie contracts were still insane, I think Crabtree would have been a bust too.. but a hell of a lot better than Curry.

You nailed the Wilson pick though from Day 1. Kudos

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I remember thinking that Flynn would be the guy until that game in KC. I knew that one way or another we would have a much better QB. Flynn actually moved the ball while under pressure early in preseason but couldn't get the scores. Wilson made it happen. My pops texted me from the Rose Bowl earlier that read "Who in the hell is Russell fricking Wilson? Have you seen this guy? Too bad the Hawks paid Flynn because this kid is a grown man out there". Wouldn't you know it? They drafted him anyways.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The pundits were railing on Irvin, everyone seemed to believe in Wagner and obviously they went off on the Wilson pick.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Scottemojo":mb6ld5ke said:
sumos2005":mb6ld5ke said:
Bret Bielema in August July 2013 on the Softy Show. He knew and tried to convince EVERYONE..This is the BEST interview I have ever heard concerning Wilson, BEFORE DAY 1..I have posted a few months ago, but thought it was worthy of another listen.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/bret-biele
I have great respect for that coach, and his interview was when I started to think WIlson was the guy.
I remember hearing that live, and when you heard BB you could tell how genuine he was and it wasn't just a coach over selling one of his players. Great find to whomever put this up in the thread. :th2thumbs:

Latest posts